PDA

View Full Version : My first trap

Wolfdog91
08-27-2021, 11:50 PM
So not the best at starting off stories but this happens to me today and figured alot of y'all could relate.
Backstory is I used to live with my grandparents ,they where only like 10min form my parents and I able to help with the cows and stuff. Anyhow them being older there where always some interesting folks coming by. Either to talk business cows with my granddad or church stuff with my grandma ,just lots of older fairly intresting folks. Well probably one of my favorite people to see pull up was someone who may grandma said was my Uncle. Name was Blue-Bebly. Dont know if I'm spelling that right but that's what what we called him. Not Blue ,or uncle Beb or something , it's was Blue-Bebly ,had to say the whole thing like a Rolls-Royce. Anyhow he was my favorite because every time he pulled up I got to see critters. See my uncle was a trapper. And me being the nappy headed ,bb gun toting woods running 7yr I was I love it when I saw his rickety old truck pull up to the house. I remember how he'd drop his tailgate and he'd have like 15 cage traps stacked up. And usually each and everyone of them would have a raccoon or a possum a grinning or growling.
See he basically was a live market trapper for coon and possums. He'd trap em around the local creeks and he'd drive to the folks he sold em to drop the tail gate and let them pick which ones they wanted . Then the men folk would either take the cage round back and *pew pew * if it was a coon or he'd just break their necks if it was a possum. Grandma also told me he had a big "coup" ( apparently a coup and a coop are two different things ) where he'd keep anywhere from 10-30 or so racoons and possums and "feed them out on corn and fresh water for a better price. Apparently it was kind built like how cages one a mink farm kinda are.
Anyhow being the kid I was constantly waiting the crocodile hunter and hunting shows I thought it was the coolest thing ever. He'd always laugh and pick at me and say he'd give me one of them traps one day. Well one day he pulls up and had one of those little battery powered toy truck I was playing it , moving chicken feed, and I pull to the truck to look at the critters same as usual. He was dropping a dressed coon in a buck for my grandma when he saw me. He laughed as I got out and said " well looks like you got a truck now ! Reckon I can finally give you this and save your grandmamma some money ! " He reached in the back and slid out a old school Havahart cage trap. These where the older one back where they where still being built kind a heavy like. He hand it to me on two fingers and the second I grabbed it he let go and me being weak as I was I near about doubled over Lol. After he got done laughing at me he put it on the back of my little truck and pulled a zip lock back outta his coat pocket. Was full of muscadines and wild black berries. I remember him just saying " I can tell your pretty bright nephew, you can learn to set that trap by your self no problem. Go by some water find you some tracks , set that cage but some of these on the out side to get em started in and some more in the back over the trigger and you'll keep ya grandma and granddaddy's freezer full haha !"
After that I'd haul that ole havahart all over the farm . I caught idk how many possums and coon, one of my favorite things was to try to and figure out which way they where coming to the chicken pen and set it with no bait so they basically just stumbled in. Heck I end tried catching sliding turtles in the pond by tying a watch work over the pan and birds by sprinkling bird seed in it. Those two never really worked lol. The 30 odd barn cats we had sure got annoyed with me constantly catching and releasing them in it. Got to the point some of them would just kinda slowly walk out and streach when I let the door up lol.
Yeah didn't see to much of uncle Blue-Bebly after that. To this day not sure what happened to him... Anyway. After Grandma died a few years back my parents moved over there to care for the farm and stuff and I got the old house . Was over there today checking the hay and feed , counting cows and such when something told me to look under the platform we stack the feed. Sure enough, was my old cage. Still sturdy as ever, springs are slowed down to about nothing but there she is. Part of me wants to fix her back up. Paint it new springs and the like....but , I don't know something in me says , leave it as is and where is at, at least for now.....

762 shooter
08-28-2021, 06:30 AM
Nice story.
Do you have a good coon recipe?
Possum not so much.

You need to find out where Blue Bebly got his name.

WRideout
08-28-2021, 08:02 AM
It's good to have uncles you are close to. They won't squeal on you if they catch you doing something wrong.

Wayne

r80rt
08-28-2021, 08:11 AM
Great story, I keep a few Have a heart traps around. You never know when they'll be handy.

XDROB
08-28-2021, 09:36 AM
Nice story!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

08-28-2021, 10:11 AM
I enjoyed reading your story this morning.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk