PDA

View Full Version : Sick kitty, may lose ber :(

Mr_Sheesh
08-27-2021, 12:31 AM
Francine, my older kitty, has been sick; I had been sick as well, in hospital a couple weeks ago. Came back and noticed she was thin, started trying hard to feed her. She got worse over time and quit eating.

I had really bad knees for a few days, making it hard to take her in; Good knees today finally. Took her into the Vets this afternoon and she has jaundice and they aren't thinking she has really good chances. I will find out what the blood work tells us in the morning.

At best I could have to learn how to tube feed her, this is seriously depressing bad news. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

cwtebay
08-27-2021, 12:33 AM
I hope your kitty does well!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
08-27-2021, 01:23 AM
Thats what took my kitty MeowMeow. She broken a tooth and stopped eating. Once they stop eating their liver will build up fat and shut down.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

clum553946
08-27-2021, 04:39 AM
I hope she pulls through, hoping for the best.

MrWolf
08-27-2021, 06:23 AM
Hoping she gets better but most of all that she is not suffering. Best of luck.

richhodg66
08-27-2021, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. We love cats and it's really hard to know one is hurting. How old is she?

StuBach
08-27-2021, 07:01 AM
My sympathies. Fur-children are all great companions and it’s never fun to see them in trouble.

My hopes for her speedy and full recovery.

XDROB
08-27-2021, 08:18 AM
Hoping your kitty does well. It is a hard thing to lose an animal. I had a beautiful 26 lb double pod tabby cat when I was growing up. I left him at my father's house when I moved out. He had become my dad's cat. My dad came home one day to find him laying at the top of the driveway which was unusual. Took him to the vet to find out that he had been poisoned somehow. We never knew what it was We buried him in the backyard. Still remember that cat to this day. And that was 30 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
08-27-2021, 09:03 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Francine - God watches out over all of His creatures. We are truly hoping that Francine pulls out of this and gets better.

contender1
08-27-2021, 10:06 AM
Having followed the wonderful stories of the (2) kitties here over the last year or so,, I have smiled a lot. And then, last November,, one of mine started showing signs of sickness. Well, I first thought I'd lose her,, but was able to nurse her back to health,,,, for a while. She passed on me about 3 weeks ago,, at the age of 17. Following the GOOD stories helped me get through the loss of one of my "fur family" babies. A truly sweet & gentle cat that meant a lot to us.
So, trust me when I say, "I feel your heartache" and know where you are coming from. Prayers for you & your cat.
(And as I type this,, I have 2 of my other cats laying on the desks here.)

bakerjw
08-27-2021, 11:01 AM
I really hope that Francine pulls through. As the security blanket to one of the kitties that contender mentioned, I am certainly putting in some words to Frank.

Liver problems might not be too bad to turn around as long as it isn't cancer. We found with our 18 year old cat Louise, that kidney problems are the one to hopefully avoid. It is always hard to lose one of these critters.

Jester560
08-27-2021, 12:50 PM
I hope you get good news!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

lightman
08-27-2021, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear that your Kitty is sick. Hope She gets better. My 17 year old Missy was sick several weeks ago and I was afraid we would loose Her but She recovered before we could get Her to the Vet. I was getting depressed about it.

MaryB
08-27-2021, 01:45 PM
Your kitty was worried about you... now that you are home lots of attention etc should bring her around... I have noticed mine never eat when I am in the hospital for surgery, soon as I get home and after pets and ear scritches they would be face first in the food bowl pigging out.

Mr_Sheesh
08-28-2021, 01:49 AM
Sadly, not good news in the blood work. It's not clear what caused her to get so sick, but her Bilirubin count is sky high (like 35 times the top of the normal range) and the vet says the best thing is to keep her from hurting more. So probably that will happen tomorrow. This isn't what I want for her, but we have to do the right thing.

Turns out the power outage in my place is due to a GCFI outlet that went bad. This explains why my internet modem isnt powered. Fortunately the fridge is on a different circuit.

Crud, though. She has been such a lively beast with so much brains, humor, and attitude. I will remember her.

richhodg66
08-28-2021, 05:28 AM
I'm so sorry. It seems cats more than dogs go down rather suddenly when it happens. It's hard to say goodbye to them.

echo154
08-28-2021, 05:43 AM
I am so sorry!
I have lost many Fur-children over the years. My wife was unable to have children so we have animals in place of children. I also had two K-9 partners, the bond with them was extreme. I know God has his plans, sometimes they are not what our plans are. My prayers go out for you and Francine. Todd

bakerjw
08-28-2021, 06:57 AM
:cry:

contender1
08-28-2021, 08:16 AM
Having just lost one myself recently,, I truly feel your pains of loss. It's HARD,, but when you love them,, you don't want them to suffer. You have my deepest sympathies.

DougGuy
08-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Getting a new kitty after a while will ease the loss somewhat. After pit bulls killed my outdoor kitty we rescued one from the shelter but she is indoor only.

We got a good one, smart, witty, and a ball of energy. She has let me set the boundaries, she will respond immediately to the tone of my voice, when you get them young they are still looking to their mother and if they can't find their mother they will assimilate to a hoomin who will teach them as they grow. You have to train them before they figure out how to train you.

richhodg66
08-28-2021, 12:59 PM
I have grown to like the older ones better the past few years, I always preferred mature dogs, just don't have the patience for the neediness of puppies. Gracie is a great little cat, but I have decided we're done with kittens, just can't take the high energy levels. We it comes time for another cat (probably gonna be a while), we're going to a shelter and asking "Where do you keep the old ones?"

I cannot imagine a home without a cat, at least one.

T-Bird
08-28-2021, 01:25 PM
I'm a retired (sort of) veterinarian, and my experience with fatty liver disease in cats says that turning them around is not entirely, but nearly impossible. Euthanasia is often necessary even with extensive intervention. I've been in your shoes several times over the years as well as watched and helped others that were experiencing their loss of a pet and it is never easy even if the decision is "the best thing". Some of the hardest ones were when the person would apologize to me for being so upset because they know "it's just an animal". My response was always "no you're wrong, he/she was a beloved family member". The suggestion to get another pet I think is a good one. You will never replace your beloved cat but you will have another entirely different one to love.

clum553946
08-28-2021, 02:11 PM
I’m so sorry to hear the news. You have my deepest condolences.

lightman
08-28-2021, 02:34 PM
You have my sympathies too!

David2011
08-28-2021, 03:29 PM
So sorry! Losing a loved pet is not much different from losing any other family member. May your memories of her illness fade quickly to be filled in with a lifetime of good times.

StuBach
08-28-2021, 06:23 PM
My family and my sympathies to you and yours. I’ve been there many times when I was growing up and we have been blessed that all our fur-children we got in adulthood are still with us but my cat is getting close to that point too. (Wife has never had to go through that yet and neither have my kids so that’s going to be tough).

It’s never easy and I feel your pain. Our hopes for a easy transition for Francine.

Rcmaveric
08-28-2021, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear. Its painfull when our beloved critters pass.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

bakerjw
08-29-2021, 08:27 AM
Animal pounds are having a very hard time these days due to covid. They turn away a lot of animals and euthanize many as well. It might be too soon, you have to make the call, but it might be therapeutic and healing to stop by and see some kitties looking for a good home. You might just find one there that you know is the one. Just a thought.
If there are costs involved that you can't afford, drop me a PM.

I cannot go into a shelter because I know I will want to bring a handful of animals home.

Mr_Sheesh
08-29-2021, 11:56 PM
I took her in today and she is at least out of pain now. She seemed lots happier at the vets. I asked if they gave her pain meds as she wasnt complaining about being touched, they claimed they didn't. At least she felt good enough for some knuckle in the ear socket scritchies, scritchies atop the spine, in front of the tail root, cheek rubs, the usual pets. And at least it was peaceful.

I know on a new kitty. It is a temptation but not this week. Maybe next week or next month. Linda doesnt seem to understand yet. The local pounds run $50ish for kittens but year old or older are often free. Plus license etc. of course. So costs are not too bad. And in past when its time a new cat often shows up and adopts me.

As a kid I was the one who would never pass up an offered kitten. One, Hoody, calico, was maybe 7 weeks old when I carried her home and claimed that "she followed me home." It IS possible that my mom didn't believe me on that. She ended up being a wonderful long lived kitty. I think if you treat them right they all will be, unless disaster strikes.

I will probably watch the "Tiny Kittens HQ" youtube cat rescue channel somewhat, for a while. It might help. Along with giving Linda treats.

Mr_Sheesh
08-29-2021, 11:57 PM
Also, Thank You all for the needed support. It helps!

richhodg66
08-30-2021, 06:43 AM
Sorry you lost her, but at least you were there and she was calm and knew she was loved.

Take your time and get past it a little before getting another, but when the time comes to do it, it'll help.

bedbugbilly
08-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Our sincere sympathies and condolences to you. It's never easy to have to say goodbye to a beloved pet. I hope you can find some peace and comfort in the fact that you provided a loving home for her and a good life and that you can also always remember that she loved you as much as you loved her. As I type this, I have two wonderful dogs curled up on my lap. God provides these wonderful creatures, cats and dogs, for a reason and they all are very special'

contender1
08-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Having just recently lost one myself,, this thread has made reading here blurry,, but necessary. I do care & understand.
When you took her to the vet,, in her own way,, I'd bet she knew you were there to make her pains disappear. As hard as it is,, it's the right thing sometimes. I've held my fair share in my arms as they pass peacefully & their pains go away.

I too have said that when it's time,, God sends me another stray to care for,, knowing I'll truly take care of it. All of ours were found on our property. And while it's been a month now since my little "Patches" passed,, I'm not looking,, but know it could happen anytime. My wife has had (4) dreams about a gray kitten,, and she's wanting to find another one,, but so far,, we've not tried. I've considered a trip to the pound,, or watching out for a stray somewhere. I know God will decide when it's time.
And our other 3 cats have looked for her,, yet,, seem to know she's gone for good. And they too have gotten a bit more special treatment as well. One seems to really hunt me out & give me a lot more attention as well. Funny how they do that.

I know it was hard to let her go. And the loss of a loved pet proves you care. Compassion & love are gifts God gives us all, and hopefully the more compassion & love we have,, the better people we are.

Again,, I want to express my condolences for your loss.

bakerjw
08-30-2021, 10:42 AM
I had to reread the thread to see if Linda was mentioned. I was kind of confused especially at the giving her treats part. Then I realized that Linda was another cat. That made me chuckle because we had a beloved cat named Louise. Originally there was Hewey, Dewey and Louie but Louie ended up being Louise.

We've got a new calico hanging around the house. She wants to be friendly but is wary. I've been told "No more cats" which is fine but I will still feed her if she's been dumped.

Mr_Sheesh
08-30-2021, 07:20 PM
Some time back I was considering another cat, maybe 12 years? So I was about to call the manager and ask for permission for another cat. She called me instead, and asked if Francine needed a buddy. So I got Linda. This sort of thing happens to me a fair bit, or the new critter just shows up. Odd but fun :)

GONRA
09-05-2021, 12:00 AM
When Mr. & Mrs. GONRA's Pepper died, we went to the shelter looking for an older kitty.
A small 3 (?) year olde kitty kept meowing her head off and running around our ankles......
SUPER FRIENDLY ! Rear right paw was missing and no one would adopt her!
She had been there for some months.....

We grabbed Gretchen - huge success!

Three44s
09-05-2021, 02:06 AM
Very sorry about your loss Mr. Sheesh.

In 18 months my wife and I have gone from 2 dogs and 2 cats to just 1 cat. It’s painful.

Best regards

Three44s

Mr_Sheesh
09-05-2021, 02:25 AM
It truly is.

GONRA, true, sometimes the cat knows that you're a good fit :)