PDA

View Full Version : Bear Roast

Johnw...ski
01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I have a nice bear roast, anyone got a good recipe for it?

Thanks,

John

waksupi
01-10-2009, 02:10 AM
John, if you have a smoker, marinate the roast overnight in some brown surgar and salt, in water to cover. Cold smoke for a couple hours, and then bring internal temp up to 150 degrees.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
simple recipe. Just dump it in a crock pot with a pack of lipton dry onion soup mix and a chopped up lg. onioin. Let it cook all day on low. Make gravy out of the liquid.

Johnw...ski
01-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys, don't have a smoker but will try Lloyd's recipe.

John

fourarmed
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Bear meat is known to be a potential source of trichinosis. It should always be cooked well-done, like pork used to be.

jdgabbard
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Another roast recipe that is good and pretty easy to make.

Gravy: 2 cans Cambells Beef Gravy
2 cans Cambells Mushroom Gravy
1 package Onion Soup Mix

Throw some baby carrots and potato wedges into the pot, drop the roast in on top and pour the premixed gravy over the roast and veggies. I personally prefer a lot of potato and carrots with enough gravy to completely cover the roast and veggies. Let it cook for about 3-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low for a large roast. It makes a good classic roast thats to die for.

Wayne Smith
02-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I have a recipe that I used for some Bear stew meat, came out good. I won't be home until late evening so I'll post it later. It's a variation on a German wild boar recipe, varied by myself and a friend who is a Cordon Bleu trained chef. My wife trusted his judgment more than mine!

Wayne Smith
02-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Here it is:

Wildschweinkeule
(Braised Wild Boar)

4 tsp. olive oil
1 4-lb. leg of wild boar, boned, trimmed, and tied into roast
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
3 carrots, peeled, trimmed and grated on the large holes of a box grater
4 ribs of celery, sliced crosswise into ½" pieces
6 cloves
4 bay leaves
1 bottle reisling wine
¾ Cup heavy cream

1. Heat oil in medium enameled cast iron pot or other wide heavy pot with tight fitting lid over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add boar and brown well all over, 10-12 minutes. Transfer boar to a dish, season to taste with salt and pepper, set aside. Add onions to pot and cook over medium high heat, scraping browned bits stuck on bottom of pot until onions are lightly browned, 6-8 min. Stir in carrots and celery and cooked until lightly browned, 4-6 min. Return boar and any accumulated juices to pot, then add cloves, bay leaves, and wine.

2. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and braise meat, turning it in pot every half hour, until tender, 2-2 ½ hours. Transfer boar to a large sheet of aluminum foil and wrap completely, then wrap foil pack in a clean dish towel and set it aside to let meat rest for 20-30 min.

3. Strain broth from pot through a sieve set over a medium saucepan, firmly pressing on solids with the back of a wooden spoon, then discard solids. Skim off and discard fat. Boil broth over medium high heat until reduced to 1 cup, 20-30 minutes. Whisk in cream, season sauce to taste with salt and pepper, and turn off heat.

4. Unwrap boar and transfer to a cutting board. Discard twine and thinly slice meat. Arrange meat on a warm platter and garnish with a sprig of parsley if you like. Pour sauce into a gravy boat and serve with the boar.

For Bear make two changes. Substitute Shallots for Onions and use a very sweet white wine such as a "Winter Wine". I use between 1/4 and 1/2 C wine in the slow cooker.

Johnw...ski
02-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks Wayne.