PDA

View Full Version : Help with a stuck bullet

JDFuchs
01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a squib load in a 243win. The primers on some old primed brass were bad and now I have a jacketed bullet that made it to where i can see a little less then .1in of rifling in the barrel. Ive broken a cleaning rod trying to get it out but it will not move at all. :groner:

JMax
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Is the bullet close to the muzzle or breach? Try a steel rod (drill rod if possible) as close to barrel diameter as possible. If near muzzle get a rod long enough to fit from the breach end and tap it out.

JSnover
01-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I've used magnum primers (no powder) to remove stuck boolits from revolvers but never tried it with a rifle. The greater bore volume might mean you can't generate enough pressure with a primer all by itself. It may not work in your case but it won't hurt anything.

Skipper
01-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Put a healthy squirt of Kroil down the bore, let it sit for a few hours and punch it out with your choice of cleaning rod.

Kuato
01-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Put a healthy squirt of Kroil down the bore, let it sit for a few hours and punch it out with your choice of cleaning rod.

+1 for the Kroil. If you don't have any use WD40..

eka
01-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Go to the hardware store and get a steel rod blank. As was mentioned, as close as possible to bore diameter. They are cheap and a lot cheaper than screwing up cleaning rods. Kroil is definitely a great idea also.

Keith

duckndawg
01-10-2009, 02:35 PM
wouldn't a steel rod mess the rifling up? would a brass rod be better?

Sprue
01-10-2009, 03:39 PM

+1

I would go with a wooden dow rod from your local lumber store.

Limey
01-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Whether you chose to use wood or a metal rod I'd recommend using several short pieces rather than one long piece.....they will need to be as close as possible to bore diameter.

These will prove to be more rigid and less flexible than one long piece.

I actually learnt this from somewhere on this Forum so it gotta be right!........somebody was discribinng how to slug a barrel by using a soft lead fishing weight and short lengths of wood dowling....it worked a treat for me.

What ever method you use I hope it comes out successfully and with no damage to your gun.

Safe shooting

Limey

mooman76
01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
If you already broke a cleaning rod, I doubt that a wood dowel would work. Take the steel rod and wrap a little tape around it every few inches as you see fit.

NSP64
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I was given some primed brass in 243 by a co-worker. He got it from an estate auction. Anyhow I loaded them with boolits and shot them. I was afraid of what happened to you. I would get me some brass rod, soak it with kroil or mouse milk, then pound away.

MT Gianni
01-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Steel rod wrapped with tape every few inches as described. Use the heaviest hammer that you have and hit it direct blows not a small hammer with light taps. Invert a gas check and put the end of the steel rod in it. Good luck.

Dark Helmet
01-10-2009, 11:14 PM
For shoot sure don't use the dowel(s), don't ask:(

Bret4207
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
DON"T USE WOOD DOWELS!!!!! The tip of the jacketed bullet will just spread it out and really wedge it. Use penetrating oil, a steel rod and a heavy hammer. BTDT a buncha times.

fourarmed
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Read "Hatcher's Notebook" on barrel obstructions. In a situation like this, it was found that the bullet could be removed without damage to the barrel by chambering a primed, charged case WITH NO BULLET and firing it.

Willbird
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Read "Hatcher's Notebook" on barrel obstructions. In a situation like this, it was found that the bullet could be removed without damage to the barrel by chambering a primed, charged case WITH NO BULLET and firing it.

That to a degree will depend on how far down the barrel the bullet has gone. It is not an experiment I would be willing to try unless I intended to blow up the rifle.

Bill

rockrat
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I usually tape the rod, and then hold the gun upside down with the rod against the bullet and impact the concrete floor in the shop. Unless you are sure you will hit the rod squarely, it works better for me. I use a piece of carpet on the floor in case the bullet pops out easily. Don't want to smash the muzzle on the concrete

JDFuchs
01-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Finally got the sucker out. The Nosler 100 solid base boat tail was first batted in and expanded when my friend attempted to remove it. (being his rifle). I broke my own cleaning rod trying to get it out. Got a new stainless steal rod and quit before i broke it. Ended up using a long drill bit and drilling out the base of the bullet. Then with out the solid copper base the jacket relaxed enough to tap out..