PDA

View Full Version : Leading in my Walther PPQs SOLVED!

robertbank
08-24-2021, 01:14 PM
For the past two three years I have been playing IDPA with Walther PPQs. The three pistols I have set up for competition all have polygonal rifling. I like to practice as much as I can and use the Lyman 356402 bullet sized .357". Up until now I have dealt with leading in the barrel found mostly in the first 1.4" of rifling.

The other day I decided to apply aluminum GCs to the base of the bullets I was using (Pat Marlin's PB GCs using pop can aluminum). After two afternoons of practice with 200 rds through the barrel no leading. The barrel was clean with no evidence of leading. Not sure why I had not tried this before but there you are. I plan to apply GC's to my 35spl 358477 bullets destined for my Antique 38 Special project gun. The gun uses a 38LC cylinder with a new .357 barrel. Due to grossly oversized cylinder throats the gun leads up after 50 rds or so in the first 1/4" of the barrel. I'll post here the results.

The GC idea might work for the Glock owners who find they get leading in the Glock version of polygonal rifling. It is extra work for volume users of ammo but I don't enjoy scrubbing lead particles out of barrels either.

Take Care

Bob

fjrdoc
08-24-2021, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear that your problem is solved. I've been having the same issue with my 45 ACP and 45 Colt rounds. I have some aluminum gas checks coming my way. I hope that I get the same results as you.

FergusonTO35
08-24-2021, 04:31 PM
Very glad to hear it!