PDA

View Full Version : Scam call? Why?

Idaho45guy
08-23-2021, 10:32 PM
So, I got a call from my internet provider last week saying that fiber optic was now available for my address (I know, because I had to move my vehicle when they dug the hole for the lines in front of my house...).

They said I could go from my current 18 mbps at $60 a month, to either 220 mbps for $40 a month, or 1 gb for $70 a month. I said the $40 a month deal sounds good. So they scheduled me for an install for tomorrow.

Well, I got a job offer today from an outside company, and then my company panicked when I said I was probably leaving and scrambled to offer me a new position. I get all the details of the new offer tomorrow morning, so I was worried that the new fiber install would interfere with my negotiating.

So I called the internet company to see what kind of window they were looking at for the install.

Spent 40 minutes on the phone and they said they have no record of any service scheduled and said it sounded like a scam call. Well, I didn't give out any personal info other than confirm my name and address. Didn't give out any credit card numbers or anything.

Then I asked if I could get fiber installed and they said yes, but that I had to pay a $90 install fee and pay $50 a month for the 220 mbps. I said I preferred the scam caller's deal. We shared a laugh.

So, no idea why I got the call. Maybe confirming my name and address was enough??

rancher1913
08-23-2021, 10:41 PM
probably more likely the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, big corporations sometimes have the worst communication between departments.

MrWolf
08-24-2021, 06:27 AM
That would be my guess also. Don't be surprised I they show up for an install unannounced.

bakerjw
08-24-2021, 11:24 AM
OT.
We visited my wife's cousin near Atlanta a few years back. Their neighborhood had 3 different fiber internet providers. The last one to come through was AT&T. They cut through almost every feed on one side of the street as they laid their new cable.

higgins
08-24-2021, 06:29 PM
Doubt it's a scam. rancher1923 got it right. I've been trying to get my rented propane tank painted for two years now. Twice I've been put on the list and when I call back to see when it might be done, they can't find my name or work order number on the wait list.

Idaho45guy
08-24-2021, 11:40 PM
Well, nobody showed up.

I had to stay home all day since I was negotiating and they never showed. My company was supposed to call me back before the end of the day with the final numbers and never called.

So I went to the range with about an hour of light left and tested out some new 10mm loads.

clum553946
08-25-2021, 02:24 AM
Well, nobody showed up.

I had to stay home all day since I was negotiating and they never showed. My company was supposed to call me back before the end of the day with the final numbers and never called.

So I went to the range with about an hour of light left and tested out some new 10mm loads.

One of the best forms of catharsis!