PDA

View Full Version : Help! What powder measures should I keep?

jakharath
08-22-2021, 04:28 PM
Howdy! Am trying to pare down to two powder measures for my portable reloading stand - one for pistol and one for rifle. Not sure what I should do.

Here's what I have

Redding 3-BR (with pistol and rifle inserts)
RCBS Uniflow - Small Cylinder
RCBS Uniflow - Standard Cylinder
Lee Perfect Powder Measure

The OCD part of my brain wants the two Uniflows side by side because they will match. Then there's part of me that wants to keep the Redding. Then another part wants to keep the Lee and the Redding or the Lee and an RCBS (with both cylinders). Then there's the part that wants one setup for pistol and one setup for rifle without having to change parts since this is going to be a portable rig for load development.

What are YOUR thoughts?

Kevin Rohrer
08-22-2021, 05:04 PM
I'd certainly dump the Lee and one RCBS.

Dale53
08-22-2021, 05:15 PM
I have a number of powder measures. However, for convenience and value, it is hard to beat the Redding. The micrometer adjustment is particularly useful for a development powder measure. I like your idea of having one for each kit. I would suggest trading one or two of the other measures so I had two Reddings.

Just a thought or two…

Dale53

Shawlerbrook
08-22-2021, 05:28 PM
The Redding would never leave my bench.

Stopsign32v
08-22-2021, 05:45 PM
The Redding would never leave my bench.

Good Lord...A $200 powder measure

jakharath
08-22-2021, 06:15 PM
To be fair, the Redding saw some abuse before I purchased it. Had to replace the reservoir, screws, and quite a bit of rust...

Martin Luber
08-22-2021, 06:35 PM
Not to hijack the op thread...

And what say you on the Lyman 55? I just got one but the threads and outlet are small diameter

echo154
08-22-2021, 07:12 PM
No complaints about the RCBS...I had large/small cylinder. I went to a Dillon and have found their auto measure to suffice for pistol loads...hand weigh match loads. Looking for a reliable BP measure.....I would definitely keep the Redding.....never had on but it gets high regards.

Graybeard96
08-22-2021, 07:50 PM
I use 2 RCBS Manual Powder Measures/Throwers or whatever they call them. One permanently mounted on the RCBS Piggyback setup for Handgun Shells the other one besides the other Rockchucker setup for Rifle Cartridges. I just love how accurate they are never no problems with them in all those years.

Cheers

jakharath
08-22-2021, 08:13 PM
There's definitely a rhythm to using a Lyman 55.

oley55
08-22-2021, 08:20 PM
The RCBS Uni-Flows with small drum is my preferred, but my Uni-flow large drum with mirco-meter works well too. In fact I have started using a Uni-Flow with the Hornady case activated gizmo on one of my Dillon 450s. I just find that the Uni-Flows handle fine ball powder so well. But it all depends I guess on what your needs are and what powders you normally use.

echo154
08-22-2021, 08:50 PM
I liked being able to use the RCBS (dismounted) to charge pistol cases in blocks. I would inspect several hundred at a time and then seat a bullet on them.....seems like the more calibers I load for the less I worry about +- 1/10 of a grain.....I plan on selling all of my, least used, firearms and load only for 10mm/ 44-40/ 44 mag/ 45-70/ 45colt and 45 2/78ths. I cast for all and constantly learn things from these forums!

pworley1
08-22-2021, 08:54 PM
Keep the redding.

Three44s
08-22-2021, 09:42 PM
Keep all four!

The Lee is a better measure for large kerneled powders. (I have one)

The RCBS (one each, large rotor and small) is where I am for all my other work.

If I had a Redding, I would keep it.

Three44s

Sam Sackett
08-22-2021, 09:54 PM
Keep the Redding. I have an old, original brown body #3. This is the most accurate measure I have ever used. The micrometer adjustment let’s me tweak a charge and it drops right on the money every time. Just record the micrometer setting and you can quickly dial in the same load later. I like it so much that I acquired two more that I gave to my brother and BOL.

No question in my mind.
Sam Sackett

country gent
08-22-2021, 10:07 PM
I wouldnt worry about brand or color not important. Keep the 2 that work the best for you. Here performance is the most important. By this I mean if one or 2 throw charges more consistently for you then those are it.

15meter
08-24-2021, 05:02 PM
I've had all of them plus a Belding and Mull, a Hollywood, a RCBS Duomatic? and a Lyman 55. Those have all gone down the road over the years.

Currently have the 3-BR with both chambers, pistol for the little stuff less than 1.5 grainsrifle for the big stuff greater than 60 grains and a BR-30 for the serious stuff--tiny group kind of loads.

Haven't seen anything that would make me change my mind on what I use.

But I do still have my Lee dippers for the one or two off kind of loads.

Gofaaast
08-24-2021, 11:11 PM
My Redding’s would be the last to leave my bench. I have both the green brands but the Redding is preferred due to the micrometer adjustment and accuracy.

jaguarxk120
08-25-2021, 08:39 AM
If you notice there are no help questions about the Redding powder measure's.
As for making very small powder changes, the Lyman 55 shines with the three
slides on the powder drum.

mdi
08-25-2021, 12:21 PM
It's difficult to tell someone which tool to use from afar. But having a bit of OCD myself, I'd prolly keep the Uniflows, for looks as well as performance. I have two powder measures that I use and 4 others in a cabinate. Both are accurate, repeatable and hold very small variations. One is a C-H 505 that the last time I used it, with 4.1 gr charge of Universal, it held .1-.15 gr easily. I used some BR-5 a couple weeks ago an it too held .1 to .2 gr variation. My second well used powder measure is my Lee PPM. Yes, a LEE PPM. I stiffened the mount/stand but otherwise it's bone stock. Yep, it will leak a few granuals of WC 820 (a very fine ball powder) but for repeatability it's hard to beat. One time I was reloading W231 for some mediun 38 Special loads and I'd get at most .1 gr variation but I also got 8-10 consecutive charges with no measurable varuation (I used a digital backed up with an RCBS 5-10 and was weighing every charge for a load work up).

MostlyLeverGuns
08-25-2021, 12:55 PM
I have a Herter's, an RCBS Uniflow with both cylinders, Bonanza Fixed charges(like RCBS Lil' Dandy) use my Lee Perfect for rifle and my Lee Deluxe Perfect for small charges. Have Lee Auto disc's on Lee Loadmaster and Pro 100, have Lee Auto-disc on some Dillon 550 set-ups. I find the Lee Perfect the quickest to set to a new charge and very accurate with coarser powders. Never liked the CRUNCH when using the RCBS Uniflow with tubular powders. I do keep looking at the Redding BR3, just because it is Redding, but my Lee just works so well. I would keep the Redding and use the Lee.

str8wal
08-25-2021, 09:30 PM
You need a Lyman 55

troyboy
08-25-2021, 10:03 PM
I'd test and keep the most accurate

Walks
08-25-2021, 11:15 PM
Dump the Lee and get a Lyman 55 before they skyrocket in price.
Lyman discontinued them. The replacement is probably made in china.
My Lyman 55 will meter down to 1 grain of Bullseye.
I believe ya can never have too many Powder Measures.

Baltimoreed
08-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Dump the lee and keep the others. Set up the extra ones for a particular caliber you load a lot. Easy. I use a rcbs with the micrometer for load development. I prefer dillon 550 measures mounted on my presses [2-550’s and 2- Lyman Tmags] [also have some dillon 450 measures that are accurate] when I change dies I also change measures. Life is too short to recalibrate measures every time I turn around. Plus every time you monkey with a press to change things -type of powder or amount of throw- you create an opportunity for a screw up. Btw, I have 8 measures I've picked up over the years. KISS

John Guedry
08-26-2021, 02:24 PM
I use a Lyman 55 and a Redding and would not ever get rid of either.

GregLaROCHE
08-26-2021, 03:31 PM
If I were getting rid of one it would be the Lee. Also, I really like my two Lyman 55s. They work great with BP just the way they are. You don’t have to upgrade to the more expensive BP model. However, it’s best to dump all the BP and spray down with break cleaner after each use if you are in a humid environment.

onelight
08-26-2021, 05:13 PM
My Lyman 55 is my choice for a bench mounted measure and next is the RCBS but I use my Lee press mounted measures more than anything else pro auto disk and auto drum. And they would be the last to go .
But I am going to keep them all :)

lightman
08-27-2021, 01:20 PM
I would keep the 2 RCBS and sell the others. Mostly because you have 2 of them that could be set up as one small and one large.

lightload
08-27-2021, 02:04 PM
Keep the two RCBS measures. Set each one to throw a certain charge of a certain powder. Store them until needed. Keep the Redding. Discard the Lee.

Char-Gar
08-27-2021, 02:41 PM
So a man, who reloads. has four powder measures. He want to pare down to two powder measures. He has the measures in front of him to examine and test. Presumably he has used all four at one time or another. So he asked the opinion of an internet reloading board, full of people he does not know and have no idea of their experience level.

What he is going to get, will just be their opinions and most will favor what they use. Some will tell him to buy something other than the four he has, ignoring the original question all together. So, a couple of process questions come to mind.

1. Why ask the counsel of people you don't know and probably don't know any more than you.?
2. Why turn your thinking and decision making over to others?

Seeking the counsel of people you know, trust and have confidence in, is not altogether a bad idea, but a whole bunch of strangers, not so much. I find the internet a very interesting place to watch human nature to unfold. Does this mirror human behavior before the internet or has the internet cause some changes? I suspect the latter, but that also is just an opinion.

jetinteriorguy
08-29-2021, 07:53 AM
It’s simple, keep the ones that work best. Ignore brand names.

Baltimoreed
08-29-2021, 10:58 AM
Liked your comment Char-Gar. I’ve been known to ask for input about a build that I am having problems with from this and other forum members in the past. Made witty comments about posts and have posted my successful projects. You get to where you can tell the knowledgeable posters from the others. I hope that my comments and information offered have been a help. All we generally can do is relate our experiences.

Char-Gar
08-29-2021, 11:57 AM
Liked your comment Char-Gar. I’ve been known to ask for input about a build that I am having problems with from this and other forum members in the past. Made witty comments about posts and have posted my successful projects. You get to where you can tell the knowledgeable posters from the others. I hope that my comments and information offered have been a help. All we generally can do is relate our experiences.

I belong to a fairly small school of thought on decision making.

1. Make your own decisions.
2. Make your own mistakes.
3. Do an autopsy on your mistakes.
4. Learn from the mistakes.
5. Do not repeat the mistakes.

Do this and the number of your mistakes will shrink really fast...I mean really fast. This is called learning through critical thinking.

Baltimoreed
08-29-2021, 12:55 PM
I do that after I’ve shot a match-win or lose, what did I do wrong, do right, need to practice doing, any equipment issues. Your mistakes are the only thing you can truly call your own.

Char-Gar
08-30-2021, 04:23 PM
I like that!

Duckiller
08-30-2021, 04:39 PM
Pick two, use them. Store the other two in a box. Never can tell when you may need another powder measure. Tools and guns are to be acquired not gotten rid of.

gnome72
10-24-2021, 11:31 AM
Redding and 1 of the Uniflows would be my must keeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Green Frog
10-24-2021, 03:48 PM
Char-Gar summed it up pretty well, and I would only add that different measures have different individual strengths with regard to type of powder being dispensed and volume. There is no one measure that drops all volumes of all powders better than all others. That’s why I have several (OK, why I have a bunch) of them.decide what you want to measure and keep the unit(s) that do this the best.

JMHO, you’ll have to decide what you want to do though.
Froggie

robg
10-24-2021, 04:21 PM
Lyman 55 and a Lee ppm work well for me .your a big boy make your own decision.

Dale53
10-24-2021, 04:27 PM
One thing regarding ALL powder measures:
They absolutely require consistent operation to drop consistent charges. Smooth and consistent operation!

This is seldom mentioned but it is extremely important for minimal variations in powder charges.

Many times, “it’s not the bow and arrow, it is the Indian”…

Dale53

Alferd Packer
10-30-2021, 07:44 AM
it's too hard to get replacements.
With a million new reloaders everything is backordered in big piles of backorders.

If you break something,and it happens...
you have backup.

dogdoc
10-30-2021, 08:09 AM
It’s not like they take up much space. Keep all for possible backup if needed later. I have more than 10 probably

OBXPilgrim
10-31-2021, 10:04 PM
Can't help but put my 2 cents about the Lyman 55. Used RCBS Uniflow for most of my life, and got a Lyman 55. Found it a challenge to adjust at first, but after I figured it out, I'm pretty amazed at it's accuracy, especially with small charges. But, didn't get rid of my Uniflow.