PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Blank 12ga rounds

hondamikek
08-22-2021, 03:42 AM
As I do with most, since I love how things work.. I pulled apart one of these Winchester 12ga blanks to see how I could go about duplicating them. It’s a 2.75” hull, with 170 grains of tightly packed black powder(I’m gonna try some with Pyrodex), topped with a 1/2” fiber wad and roll crimped. That’s it. I took pics too, for reference. Just email me. Figure someone may want this info. Good to know. These are crazy loud, and a hoot to shoot outside on the 4th of July, or any day for that matter!

TjB101
08-22-2021, 05:38 AM
Wondering if you could do the same with smokeless powder, xx grains of Unique, Reddot, or Bullseye with some grits or cow in a cup.

rancher1913
08-22-2021, 08:01 AM
you wont get the "bang" from smokless

Hanzy4200
08-22-2021, 09:16 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not super keen on shooting a belching load of BP through my shotguns. Sounds like a easy way to pit out a barrel.

megasupermagnum
08-26-2021, 08:43 PM
Wondering if you could do the same with smokeless powder, xx grains of Unique, Reddot, or Bullseye with some grits or cow in a cup.

I've seen loads for smokeless blanks. Mostly I recall a decent charge of fast powder like red dot, then nothing but a stack of hard nitro cards and fold crimped. I've made "blanks" with peoples ashes. They most certainly go bang.

15meter
08-26-2021, 11:49 PM
If my old guy memory isn't completely faulty, I used to make 12 gauge black powder blanks from a recipe that was in a 70's vintage Dixie Gun Works catalog.

I THINK I used a Winchester AA hull, an at this point unremembered volume of black powder, 60 grains, MAYBE? A Winchester AA wad was used with the shot petals cut off.

A yard+ of flames if you shot at night with a massive cloud of smoke combined with more racket then you would think is possible from that small a package.

May have to go on an archeological dig to find one of those old Dixie catalogs. Pretty sure I know within 10 feet where it's at, just not sure I'm brave enough to dig into the pile. Not sure I could survive if there's a cave-in.

TjB101
08-27-2021, 05:07 AM
I've seen loads for smokeless blanks. Mostly I recall a decent charge of fast powder like red dot, then nothing but a stack of hard nitro cards and fold crimped. I've made "blanks" with peoples ashes. They most certainly go bang.

Thanks … appreciate the reply … may have to try in the near future.