PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale Hunter has CCI SPPs, What’s the highest price you’ve seen?

Bmi48219
08-20-2021, 11:40 AM
I requested ”back in stock” notifications from all the dealers I could think of months ago. Finally received a response yesterday....

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11100277

I called their customer service to make sure it wasn’t a typo.
Told the manager they wanted more for primers than loaded 9 mm ammo. Email said they had 10 boxes for sale, wonder how long it’ll take to sell them.

762sultan
08-20-2021, 12:09 PM
They are not going to get any of my money...ever. That is the best way to ruin the business. Most reloaders know when they are being taken advantage of.

Handloader109
08-20-2021, 12:53 PM
Midsouth has several 9mm loads that are at or below that $0.50 per round price of these primers IN STOCK as of this morning. I bought 400 rounds to use to test my last couple of 9mm pistols, sight in and insure that they work well enough for carry guns. I load my own still for about a dime a round but I like to start off new gun on ammo that the manufacturer wouldn't have any issue with if the gun had an issue. I'll not buy any primers for more than I can actually buy loaded ammo for. That is worse than ignorant.

Oh, they're down to 8 cases as of a minute ago.

frkelly74
08-20-2021, 01:17 PM
That must be the 10,000 price. Decimals are such tricky things

bedbugbilly
08-20-2021, 07:57 PM
Also the same place that some have complained of advertising guns on GB as being in stock and after purchasing, told that it is out of stock and extremely slow to refund funds.

To each their own but I'll make my own black powder if necessary, pull my flintlock out and knap my own flints before I would pay 50 cents a primer - last I knew, they aren't making primers out go platinum.

Something kinky going on - we have a shortage of primers, powder, etc. but Biden is supplying the Taliban with weapons and plenty of munitions . . . sort of makes you raise an eyebrow, doesn't it?

bakerjw
08-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Definitely a place that will never see my business.

Texas by God
08-20-2021, 10:37 PM
Academy had CCI Large Rifle primers for $7.99 per 100- limit two........
I passed on that killer deal[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Froogal
08-21-2021, 07:56 AM
Also the same place that some have complained of advertising guns on GB as being in stock and after purchasing, told that it is out of stock and extremely slow to refund funds.

To each their own but I'll make my own black powder if necessary, pull my flintlock out and knap my own flints before I would pay 50 cents a primer - last I knew, they aren't making primers out go platinum.

Something kinky going on - we have a shortage of primers, powder, etc. but Biden is supplying the Taliban with weapons and plenty of munitions . . . sort of makes you raise an eyebrow, doesn't it?

Ever since this primer and powder shortage thing started I have been very suspicious of what is really going on.

namsag
08-21-2021, 03:14 PM
Wholesale Hunter = crooks. They will never see a penny from me.

444ttd
08-21-2021, 03:42 PM
well, time to wipe a mouthful of black coffee off my keyboard........are they NUTZ???????????????

Idaho45guy
08-22-2021, 06:46 AM
They only have 8 boxes now, so there are at least two stupid people out there.

ioon44
08-22-2021, 09:12 AM
They only have 7 boxes now, so there are at least three stupid people out there. Glad that I am not one of them.

Handloader109
08-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Academy had CCI Large Rifle primers for $7.99 per 100- limit two........
I passed on that killer deal[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Powder Valley shows zero in stock, but pricing is listed. $60 to 65 on CCI, So Academy buying at around $45, a std margin for a retail store would be about that $80 a thousand. They aren't trying to rob you, but price is double want it should be....

Ural Driver
08-23-2021, 09:46 AM
I really hope they don't sell a single box......

downzero
08-23-2021, 09:53 AM
They are not going to get any of my money...ever. That is the best way to ruin the business. Most reloaders know when they are being taken advantage of.

It's so much better to go without indefinitely than to let the market determine the price, eh?

JoeJames
08-23-2021, 09:56 AM
Folks who are just now trying to get into reloading haven't a clue on prices. And will pay whatever the price, it seems.

15meter
08-24-2021, 06:22 PM
Folks who are just now trying to get into reloading haven't a clue on prices. And will pay whatever the price, it seems.

Combined with the sky is falling reloader/shooters who are convinced that Biden is going to executive order anything firearm related out of existence is helping to drive up the price. Was in a local gun shop shortly after the election and there were a couple of guys grabbing what ever loaded rounds they could lay their hands on. Doubt if they even had guns in calibers they were grabbing. They were just grabbing what little was left on the shelf.

They flat out said that they had to get the ammo now because there was NEVER going to be any more, EVER!!!

missionary5155
08-24-2021, 06:26 PM
Our police supply store (open to all) still sells 9mm 125 fmj for $19.95. Limit of 10 boxes.

HumptyDumpty
08-26-2021, 12:41 AM
That price is higher than Gunbroker.

jimlj
08-26-2021, 10:45 AM
The highest price I've paid was $7.99 per hundred. They were at a LGS with no price posted, but a 200 limit. I didn't need them and should have put them back but I paid the price and left.

Gator 45/70
08-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Found some locally for 6.99 per 100

Bmi48219
08-27-2021, 07:16 PM

Wow, I was almost going to post that $6.99 / 100 wasn’t a bad price. I must be coming down with something. Going to have to check my temperature!

quilbilly
08-27-2021, 07:25 PM
I just saw the same at one of my Ace Hardware customers. They were inside the glass case and had all sizes but small pistol. While there I saw several of their customers come in and buy two slides of each size (the limit).

jim147
08-27-2021, 09:05 PM
6.99 was what they were going for here right before they disappeared. I didn't buy any. Once it cools off and I start loading for next year I might have to buy a few. Hope they drop a little more.

ACC
08-27-2021, 11:00 PM
I requested ”back in stock” notifications from all the dealers I could think of months ago. Finally received a response yesterday....

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11100277

I called their customer service to make sure it wasn’t a typo.
Told the manager they wanted more for primers than loaded 9 mm ammo. Email said they had 10 boxes for sale, wonder how long it’ll take to sell them.

Right now I can buy 1500 rounds of 9mm (what I shoot the most of ) for $545 shipping included. Brass case brass boxer primed. Why would I spend $450 or more for a thousand primes?

ACC

Cosmic_Charlie
08-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Was at Scheel's in St. Cloud MN yesterday. They had both CCI and Remington LPP. $6/100, limit 200. Nice to see Remington primers back on the shelves. Think I will make a few trips back and forth to the car today with the wife. Have plenty of brass, powder and boolits for my .44's.

30calflash
08-28-2021, 09:49 AM
Remember the seller sets the price, not the purchaser.

An LGS near me had pretty much everything for guns and ammo during the run, but the numbers were above retail. He made some good money for sure but paid a LOT for ammo, above retail, just to have it. My friend works there and told me what he paid to get ammo. If he didn't pay the middlemen extra he wouldn't get product. So it's not all the retailer's being greedy.

Customers complained openly about it, his response was 'If you want it I have to pay extra to get it. It's here, you don't have to purchase it if you don't want to."

He carried a little of powder and primers, I didn't need it and didn't get any.

Once things tend to settle down I think you'll see $6 - $7 a hundred being the norm for a while. If and when you can get it.

30calflash
08-28-2021, 10:42 AM
Another way to do it is to purchase like mutual funds. Have X $$ for your primer buy and if you get a few hundred you at least got some. If the prices drop you can acquire more with the same money.

At $7 per 100 $30 will buy 4 sleeves, at $6 it buys 5. You get some product and don't go over budget.

ruger1980
08-28-2021, 11:02 AM
I was looking at the Hessney auction on Hibid and they have 200 Federal Gold medal match small rifle primers going for $75 and 100 small pistol Gold medal match for $22.50 plus tax and buyers premium.
I gotta believe someone miss-bid but maybe not
\The rest of the primers on there are between $90-125.

Bmi48219
08-28-2021, 02:22 PM
I posted this a while back:

“March 22, 2021

To All Winchester Ammunition Customers:
Thank you for your commitment to Winchester and Browning Ammunition in support of our legendary products.
Due to the increased cost inputs for manufacturing ammunition, it is necessary to increase ammunition prices for all shipments, including backorders, beginning May 1, 2021.
Ammunition will be subject to the following price increases.
Shotshells + 5%-12%
22 Magnum Rimfire ammunition +10%
Hunting Rifle ammunition + 5%-15%
All Centerfire Rifle FMJ ammunition +8%
All Centerfire Pistol ammunition +8%
Components +10%
Primers +25% (Due to our current backorder situation, until further notice, Winchester is not accepting new orders on primers)

From our present perspective this was certainly the tip of the iceberg. There’s no reason to think Winchester wasn’t being realistic WHEN they formulated the increases. But the full effect of the plandemic hadn’t struck home at that time.

I’d be interested in seeing % of total cost pie charts ( one for 2019 and one for 2021) for the manufacturer’s cost to produce primers broke down into: Labor, Plant/Equipment, Shipping and Materials; with Materials being further subdivided into: Primer Compound, Metallics and Packaging.
I suspect the size of the pie cost segments for Materials and Shipping percentages would be dramatically larger than two years ago, making the pie costs segments for Labor & Equipment less of a factor in overall primer cost.
It would also help to see bar charts of the purchase $$ paid by the manufacturer for each above category 2019 vs 2021.

Once the primers leave the plant the increases in costs for/by distributors and retailers should mostly reflect increased cost of shipping. The price we pay for primers reflects all the above AND the profit margins the manufacturers, distributors and retailers tack on to the price they paid.
Hypothetically the manufacturer’s cost is $1. He adds a 20% profit margin, selling to the distributor for $1.20. Distributor adds his $.50 cost to ship into the warehouse and store so his cost is $1.70 to which he add 20% profit, selling to retailer for $2.04 who pays $.50 to ship to the store, stock and sell so his cost is $2.54. Then he adds a 20% margin so we buy the primer for $3.04.
Of course I’m just guessing at costs and margins, but increased manufacturing costs compounded by “margins on margins” through the marketing stream exponentially increases the price to end users like us.
If and when demand slackens and if and when fuel costs drop, we may see primer prices come down some. Even then I doubt they’ll ever be less than $6.50 / 100 again.

David2011
08-28-2021, 03:42 PM
The highest I've paid was in the shortage around 2008-2010. One thousand Federal large pistol match for $45.00 which was high at that time. Going by the Boy Scout motto ever since.