PDA

View Full Version : Bullet puller upgrade

Ironboolit
08-19-2021, 11:13 PM
I have been using a hammer style puller for years looking to upgrade to may be a Collett style I am pulling military ammo to get the brass having a hard time with the hammer style any suggestions on a better puller.

Joe504
08-19-2021, 11:21 PM
The RCBS puller is great, because you can see where the bullet is being grabbed.

Add a peice of rubber hose or something to soften the handle and its great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ryanmattes
08-19-2021, 11:23 PM
I bought the RCBS puller about a year ago, but so far haven't been able to find the collets for any of the calibers I need it for. Stupid rush on loading supplies has made it a useless chunk of metal. So... can't tell you if it's any better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

nhyrum
08-19-2021, 11:31 PM
I've really been wanting to get one of the grip and pull pullers, they look handy. I haven't had to pull bullets in a while though

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

hoodat
08-20-2021, 01:07 AM
I'll bet that someone here, maybe even me has an extra RCBS type. And it's usually the case that a guy has duplicates of collets or sizes that he doesn't use. I even use mine to hold mandrills for inside neck expansion as opposed to simple neck-down with the full length sizer die.

They are the only way to go if you have much ammo to take down. If you run into a bullet that won't grip, you can use the hammer. jd

Kevin Rohrer
08-20-2021, 06:55 AM
I use the RCBS and bought collets on Ebay and my LGS.

Paper Puncher
08-20-2021, 06:59 AM
The Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller is faster and easier on the hands than the RCBS.

On military ammunition you can seat the bullet a few thousands deeper to break the seal before pulling. That helps sometimes.

farmerjim
08-20-2021, 07:45 AM
The Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller is faster and easier on the hands than the RCBS.

On military ammunition you can seat the bullet a few thousands deeper to break the seal before pulling. That helps sometimes.

A big +1 on this.
I have one and love it

square butte
08-20-2021, 07:52 AM
+2 on the Hornady

dale2242
08-20-2021, 08:46 AM
I have one suggestion when pulling military surplus ammo when using either type of bullet puller.
Put your bullet seating die in the press and seat the bullets 1/16 to 1/8 deeper to break the seal.
Military bullets can be crimped pretty hard and/or have a sealer around the bullet when originally seated to protect the powder from contamination.

jetinteriorguy
08-20-2021, 08:51 AM
This. My Hornady has only had trouble with one thing, but it’s understandable why, I had some Hitec coated RN bullets in 9mm seated to the Ogive so there was no flat surface to get a grip on.

jd9770
08-21-2021, 12:39 AM
+3 on the hornady.

gwpercle
08-21-2021, 07:56 PM
For use with any type puller , but especially a inertia ... break the crimp by seating the military projectile just a little deeper into the case . After the crimp is broken you can pull military 30-06 AP ammo with 3-4 medium hard raps ... this ammo also has black sealant on the projectile .
I've pulled 1,500 by "breaking the Crimp" first ... This trick does work ...try it .

Joe504
08-22-2021, 10:18 PM
This is a comparison of the Fosters puller versus the RCBS puller.

The RCBS has the collet just barely protruding from the bottom of the die, this allows you to actually see where the projo is being gripped.

This makes it much easier to pull the bullets, IMO, because I can see exactly when to tighten the collet.287785287786

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pworley1
08-24-2021, 06:16 AM
I use the Hornady and love it.

David2011
08-25-2021, 01:16 PM
All of my commonly used single stage dies including the bullet puller have the Hornady L-N-L bushings. It makes quick work of swapping to the bullet puller and back to loading. Before that I would set mistakes like seating too deeply aside and let them collect for a group "correction."

The RCBS could be faster but it's reliable and very durable. I'm not inclined to replace it for a slight gain in speed since I don't use it often anyway. I haven't seen any puller that works with cast handgun boolits other than the inertia style.

Ironboolit
09-01-2021, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the information I guess I will try one or maybe the first one I can find with Collets I never thought of seating military bullets a little deeper to break the seal great ideal again thanks

1hole
09-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Don't know if getting a collet puller is actually an "up grade" over the inertia puller or not. Each type has a reason for being so I think every well equipped reloader will have legitimate needs for both; I know I do.

Buck Shot
09-02-2021, 06:15 AM
Don't know if getting a collet puller is actually an "up grade" over the inertia puller or not. Each type has a reason for being so I think every well equipped reloader will have legitimate needs for both; I know I do.

I agree. I have the hammer type, and then I bought the Hornady -- but I don't think I've used the Hornady yet!

Uncle Grinch
09-02-2021, 07:42 AM
Another vote for the Hornady!

Bought mine years ago when I picked up 600 rounds of corrosive Korean (KA ) 30-06 ammo. It was a lot of work, bit it made the job easier than my Midway hammer style puller.

georgerkahn
09-02-2021, 07:47 AM
I've really been wanting to get one of the grip and pull pullers, they look handy. I haven't had to pull bullets in a while though

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I was excited re the grip-n-pull and had to buy a couple. The good news is they do work, but quite frankly a disappointment to me. My thoughts now are if/when I need take down but a few rounds they are worth using. But, for say, more than ten -- I use my press-mounted RCBS collet-type pullers. To use the grip-n-pull is not -- at least for me -- as easy an operation as I had envisioned before purchase. But... they do work.
geo

WardT
09-02-2021, 12:25 PM
I agree with george on grip-n-pull.
I sawed the slot deeper to make it easier to squeeze harder

jetinteriorguy
09-03-2021, 03:22 PM
If I have more than 20 to pull I set up the Hornady Collet tool, if less than that I just use the RCBS hammer.