PDA

View Full Version : playing in the stock market

farmbif
08-19-2021, 07:57 PM
how many folks hold stocks?
ive never ever bought a stock and I feel I could have made a lot of money if I did when encouraged to buy in in the past, like when I met sam Walton in 1988 and he told me I should invest in Walmart stock. and few other times like 1985 when apple came out with the Mac . and sometimes I feel I missed out on google and eBay too
I ve always considered the stock market as gambling, I don't gamble.
but I just heard about a company going public soon that might just be a winner.

Piedmont
08-19-2021, 08:18 PM
Most initial public offerings (IPOs) are losers, especially in recent years. Would you have held Apple through all the ups and downs? That is the other side of it. Don't in and out the market. Take money you won't need that you want to invest for the long term and get a low cost index fund. Expenses are a big deal. An index fund doesn't try to beat the market (can't in fact) but will give you almost all of whatever the particular index you bought gives you. Vanguard is a good company, but not the only one where you may purchase low cost index funds. Vanguard was the first and was running away with market share so others had to follow if they wanted to have any business in a few years.

rancher1913
08-19-2021, 08:29 PM
I own a bunch of stock in union pacific, its all held by the u.p. agent of record and does not cost me a cent to maintain it, all expenses are covered by u.p.

I believe all companies have an agent of record that you can purchase stock from and they will hold it for you, and do any reinvesting, you do not need to have a broker and you really do not need to pay all the broker fees. I can buy and sell as I see fit and no commissions.

MT Gianni
08-19-2021, 08:39 PM
I have a lot of stocks and funds managed by a broker. He prefers I have no more than 3%-4% of what he manages tied up in one stock. I like that idea. Investing in the market is like gambling in the same sense that you gamble your employer will pay you and continue to employ you. He probably will, your stocks will probably return money on your investment but it can be tough if either doesn't. I have funds that have earned over 30% the last two years and averaged over 15% since the 2016 election. If you have money to invest each month get a good financial advisor and ride it out through the bumps and climbs that come. I might pay my advisor $1500 a year which is cheap for what he does for my investments.
I recommend DRIP stocks which stands for Dividend Re-Investment Plan. They send you no dividends but purchase stocks with them. At first you might buy 1/15th of a share or less. As it grows you are buying multiple shares.

dverna
08-19-2021, 10:58 PM
I am just barely smart enough to know what I do not know.

I have Fisher manage my investments. They have performed very well.

ryanmattes
08-19-2021, 11:16 PM
I get an investment fund through my job that lets me invest pretax in various indexes (and the company matches up to 3% of my income). I talked to the guy about my strategy. I assume I'll be working and investing for another couple decades, so the mix is about 40% high risk/high reward stuff and 60% low risk/low reward stocks, with a plan to adjust that mix over time, as I get closer to my target retirement date. By the time I retire it'll be about 90% safe and 10% risky. If all goes well and I continue to invest as planned, I should have enough to retire on even if social security collapses before then.

Meanwhile, I talked about investing to my kids, and one of them actually took me seriously. He found a company that he attached to his bank account. Anytime he makes a purchase with his debit card, it rounds up to the nearest dollar, which then gets invested into an index fund for his retirement. He can pick the mix of risky vs safe stocks, and it'll stay in that fund and keep building up until he retires. He's currently 18 years old. If he stays in it and keeps it up, he could retire very comfortably.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
08-20-2021, 12:44 AM
I'd get ahold of some sort of financial consultant with a proven track record.

It's a better idea to invest in the stock market, and 'play' the lottery.
People that 'play' the stock market always lose.

memtb
08-20-2021, 12:50 AM
I’ve owned some stocks since 1980, buying into my company stocks and investing into a 401 K. Working with two different companies until 2016 (retired) I bought bought company stocks and mutual funds thru an investment firm the company was involved with!

Upon my retirement, I took my retirement in a lump sum payout, rolled it over into my 401 K staying with the investment firm that I had been with thru the company. Working with my investment counselor/manager we determined a best strategy for my remaining years. We are in several mutual funds, heavily invested in both US and Foreign companies. Also involved with bonds. The mutual funds (lots of stocks) perform well in a Bull market. If/when the market goes Bear, the bonds help absorb the hits to stocks. Our balance does not give great returns in a Bull market, but makes some in a Bear market via the bonds. Our goal was to be conservative in the stocks.....low to medium risk. Meaning, when the market has 20% gains, I may see only 10 to 15%.

In summary....diversify, don’t put your eggs in one basket. A friend once gave me this stock market tip.....”Bulls make money, Bears make money, Pigs get slaughtered”!

Mutual funds are often made up of hundreds of companies, meaning if a few go bust.....it has minimal effect on the overall fund. There are high risk - high reward(yield) funds, and there are low risk - low reward(yeild) funds, and those in between!

Ultimately, you must determine what is best for you! Morning Star is a great source of information about all or most mutual funds available.....giving the history of each of the funds, including the fees to own that fund! I would suggest that you talk to an investment firm....I’m very pleased with Vanguard! Good Luck! memtb

sigep1764
08-20-2021, 12:56 AM
I invest in my 401k, 20% of my pretax income with a 3% match. Its attached to a fund with a target retirement date of 2050. Another $100 a month goes to a Roth IRA. One of the best things my folks told me to do was save. Don't go without, be sure to have things to enjoy, but plan for the future.

David2011
08-20-2021, 01:25 AM
After I left a job in the early '90s I rolled some of that retirement lump sum into a stock and two mutual funds. The mutual funds did OK but the stock was Microsoft. The Microsoft return was about 1500%. It had some nice growth and some nasty declines but did well in the long haul. I went on to another job that had a 401K available. I invested in the company's 401K until it hurt for over 20 years. Felt like I wasn't making much but when I retired it had turned into a nice nest egg. After I retired I rolled part of the Microsoft stock into other more diversified investments with a broker to protect it from another big drop like the one in the early 2000s. The broker invests in what will make money regardless of the political climate; something I would probably not do myself. The investments are doing very well for me.

wildwilly
08-20-2021, 01:44 AM
I was in my thirties ( I'm 74 now) when I finally took my mom's advice and enrolled with a financial planner, with whom she was already a client. I had previously dabbled in the stock market, essentially breaking even. I was single then, earning a good living in law enforcement. I was able to put 21 cents of every dollar I took home into my account. I married when I was forty-six, and still maintaining my investment strategy. Four years ago, Bob (my FP), told me that my wife will never have to be concerned with running out of money when I'm gone.
As a side note, I put some spare cash into Berkshire Hathaway about the time Obama was in office. When Obama cancelled the Keystone pipeline BH stock shot up. Buffet had bought Burlington Northern RR about that time (transported shale oil from Canada). Bob (my FP) thought that I was a genius. I had to 'fess up that my intention for buying BH stock was so that I could attend Warren Buffet's annual stockholders meeting ( I really don't even like the guy). My initial invest really panned out.

Land Owner
08-20-2021, 05:37 AM
I inherited a few shares each of three or four oil-company stocks that were purchased in 1939. Other bank and "local business" stock certs were included. The original certificates were held in a safe deposit box until I was required to determine their worth for Probate Court and had most of the certs converted to "electronic stock" through Computershare (a huge PITA effort).

Some stock was defunct, bankrupt, or out of business, but the paper Certs are still bought and sold for their "unique" intrinsic value. Oil-companies and banks have been merged and acquisitioned by the "bigger fish in the pond". Stocks split and some split multiple times. Five shares, became 10, then 20, then 100. In over 80 years of growth (for some) these stock became quite valuable.

Determining the legacy of stock is time consuming and fund depleting. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, has their hand out. Incredulously, I've gotten a few "legit businesses" saying, "Send in the certs. We'll do the research, but you won't get the certs back." WHAT? I don't think so!!! Possession of an original cert is OWNERSHIP.

Historic information is not free. I have one 1939 original cert. of five (5) oil-company shares that's been chased through MANY mergers and acquisitions. After five (5) years I have gotten tired of trying. These shares remain uncertain in value - whether "intrinsically unique" (no high dollar value) or split and multiplied to great wealth. The history of the stock is clouded in DERON ENERGYa BIG OIL Company. The cert is interesting just the same.

A word about 401(k). Year after year they "sell" newbies with wide eyes on the concept of "The Time Value of Money". The "What If" scenario - investing a mere 10% of pre-tax income at an annual 6% ROI for 25 years in the company's 401(k)? You would be a million dollars richer of course! But don't be fooled. The 401(k) hasn't performed more than an annual cost of living increase since its inception.

When asked, "Are there any questions?" I always asked if the Plan Managers would turn my $1k pre-tax into $100K by the end of the year
- like Hillary Clinton's Financial Advisors. My Company told me (through channels) to stop asking that question! HA!

memtb
08-20-2021, 08:58 AM
I inherited a few shares each of three or four oil-company stocks that were purchased in 1939. Other bank and "local business" stock certs were included. The original certificates were held in a safe deposit box until I was required to determine their worth for Probate Court and had most of the certs converted to "electronic stock" through Computershare (a huge PITA effort).

Some stock was defunct, bankrupt, or out of business, but the paper Certs are still bought and sold for their "unique" intrinsic value. Oil-companies and banks have been merged and acquisitioned by the "bigger fish in the pond". Stocks split and some split multiple times. Five shares, became 10, then 20, then 100. In over 80 years of growth (for some) these stock became quite valuable.

Determining the legacy of stock is time consuming and fund depleting. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, has their hand out. Incredulously, I've gotten a few "legit businesses" saying, "Send in the certs. We'll do the research, but you won't get the certs back." WHAT? I don't think so!!! Possession of an original cert is OWNERSHIP.

Historic information is not free. I have one 1939 original cert. of five (5) oil-company shares that's been chased through MANY mergers and acquisitions. After five (5) years I have gotten tired of trying. These shares remain uncertain in value - whether "intrinsically unique" (no high dollar value) or split and multiplied to great wealth. The history of the stock is clouded in DERON ENERGYa BIG OIL Company. The cert is interesting just the same.

A word about 401(k). Year after year they "sell" newbies with wide eyes on the concept of "The Time Value of Money". The "What If" scenario - investing a mere 10% of pre-tax income at an annual 6% ROI for 25 years in the company's 401(k)? You would be a million dollars richer of course! But don't be fooled. The 401(k) hasn't performed more than an annual cost of living increase since its inception.

When asked, "Are there any questions?" I always asked if the Plan Managers would turn my $1k pre-tax into $100K by the end of the year
- like Hillary Clinton's Financial Advisors. My Company told me (through channels) to stop asking that question! HA!

I guess it all depends upon which company 401K you are vested into. From 1998 to 2016 I probably averaged approximately 8 to 10% gain plus my additions to the K. Some company stocks perform quite well and some company 401K’s allow investing in various mutual funds. memtb

Wayne Smith
08-20-2021, 09:05 AM
Something to consider - A Fiduciary is legally required to put your interests above theirs. Not all advisers are, and most are not. Fisher Investments is a fiduciary and it is well worth looking around your area for a fiduciary if there are any local.

starnbar
08-20-2021, 09:07 AM
Right now I would not be buying anything with what is going on.

GhostHawk
08-20-2021, 09:33 AM
I doubled some money in Mutual Funds which were stock based back in the 90's.

Right now, I'd stay out of it. I feel like the market is blown up like a big balloon and it will pop someday.

I had 2 Uncles and an Aunt who were big into the market. Did well off it. The truly BIG money runs that market up and down to suit itself. And makes money both ways.

Slowly cautiously over a long period they will buy a particular company's stocks. Then they will get together, and all will sell short, driving confidence and price down. When it bottoms they buy back and ride the wave back to the top.

I say before you gamble on the market, clean up your debts, pay off any Mortgages. Then if you still have funds, maybe buy some Land.

The Lord only made dirt once, long term it always goes up. Short term you have a place they can't kick you off of. Ideally a place with room for kitchen gardens. You can be pretty self sufficient if you work at it.

Don't forget to lay in stocks of essentials enough to last you a year.
It can be Beans and Rice and cornmeal mush which you will get heartily tired of. But will keep you and your family alive.

bedbugbilly
08-20-2021, 10:00 AM
Our investments are held in a brokerage street account (fully insured) that is managed by our broker - a family owned brokerage firm yjat has been in business for many many years. We do not pay a "monthly fee" like I hear many others. The broker makes his money on the commissions he receives if and when we buy or sell stock. Unlike the racket that many brokers practice, our broker does not "stir the account" - meaning constantly recommending using/selling to generate sales commissions.

When we first met with him, there was no pressure and he had an excellent reputation. We talked a long time so he could get to know us, our goals and our needs. He quickly tuned into the fact that I am a "conservative investor" - i.e. not willing to throw money away on high risk investments promising a high return that could quickly go south. We ended up with a portfolio that is well diversified that offers a good return but which pretty much provides for a maintained income as well as growth. We talk on a regular basis when needed and if a stock has the potential of being on shaky ground - sometimes due to new government regulations, change in tax laws, etc., he will discuss it and give an educated recommendation as to whether we should sell and re-invest or ride it out - the decision is ours. Yes - if we decide to sell and re-invest, he gets a commission, but his advice has always been spot on and he certainly deserves the commission for his services which has, in several instances, saved us from the loss of thousands of dollars had we kept. Over the last fifty years, I can think of a number of companies which were bought out, promising a brighter investment future - only to have the assets of the company "gutted" by the purchasing company leaving the stockholders holding stock that was worthless and the employees of the company without jobs, insurance and their pensions after a lifetime of dedicated service.

If a person is thinking of buying stock for the first time - do your homework. For every person who has the ability to make a wise investment, there are hundreds who "think" they have the wisdom but end up making bad investments. Find a reputable broker and meet and talk with them. All brokers are not created equal and if you are not comfortable with them, find another.

Diversify your investments - NEVER put all of your eggs in one basket. I remember talking with our attorney when I was settling my parents estate. He was a very wise individual. It was at the them when Ford was close to going sizzle end upwards. His brother had worked his entire life for Ford - he made good money - had received shares of Ford stock as employee bonuses and on top of it, when he had spare money, he put all of it into Ford stock. Our attorney had repeatedly talked with his brother about diversifying his investments, but his brother ignored him as dumped all his money in to Ford stock. He would brag to his brother about how he owned more than a million dollars of Ford stock. Well . . . I was having lunch with our attorney on the day that everything took a nosedive and his brother called him to cry on his shoulder about how "it wast fair" - the value of his Ford stock had plummeted and his investment worth over a million dollars was only worth a fraction of what it had been worth. In a matter of hours, he had lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Would the value go back up? Yes . . . . but over how many years and would it ever fully recover? Possibly . . . but for a man in his seventies, would he ever live long enough to see it? The answer is no . . . he died just a few years later and because of his poor judgement of putting all his eggs in one basket, he had to give up a lot of things as far as his lifestyle went.

MY dad was as good businessman and a good investor as well. He and my grandfather were able to keep their business going and survive th Depression but it took a lot of prudent decisions, creative changes and hard work to do so. But . . . . he talked with me a number of times that he had made some bad investments as well as his good ones, and as a result, had lost money. As he said though, you learn from it not to make the same mistake twice. Probably the best advice he ever gave me was - "If you can't afford to lose it, then don't invest it". It still is pretty sage advice.

farmbif
08-20-2021, 10:14 AM
like ghost hawk says I believe there are only several thousand people that control the markets and hold the bulk of the stocks and bonds and control the markets the rest of stock holders are pip squeaks. another reason I never gambled.
and bed bug billy's "fully insured" most insurance isn't worth the paper its written on. ive had my experiences with those scoundrels.
I guess I have trust issues.

MT Gianni
08-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Right now I would not be buying anything with what is going on.

That was the advice I got in the 70's when interest rates were 16% to 18%, in the 80's with Reganomics, in the 90's with unrest, oil, Middle East problems and in the 00's with Y2K, and other stuff. Ask when squirrels never set any aside for the future, when they fail to do so, you shouldn't either.

popper
08-20-2021, 11:06 AM
Realize only 15% of the 'market' is owned by 'retail' (us) investors. The rest is the banks and institutional operators. They have data mining software to buy and sell. Trade a few thous. shares on 2 cents spread for big income.
Check out the reason for IPOs - they vary. Some are startups, many are spinoffs to get more working capital cheap.
Not exactly gambling but can be risky.

jonp
08-20-2021, 11:07 AM
My 401K was converted to a self directed IRA and I have a Roth. I have a number of stocks, mutual funds, ETF's and bonds. I don't go in for fads or the latest hot pick. I research to the best of my ability, try to stay up on current news and forecasts and invest in companies that make stuff with a track record. Lately I've been looking at companies who did good during the last recession or had a great recovery. I've also moved nearly 30 percent into cash.

I adhere to Warren Buffets strategy when he was getting hammered for not investing in the internet bubble someone asked him why. He said "because I don't understand it". If I can't understand what a company is making or doing or see the logic in it I stay away.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-20-2021, 11:20 AM
how many folks hold stocks?
ive never ever bought a stock and I feel I could have made a lot of money if I did when encouraged to buy in in the past, like when I met sam Walton in 1988 and he told me I should invest in Walmart stock. and few other times like 1985 when apple came out with the Mac . and sometimes I feel I missed out on google and eBay too
I ve always considered the stock market as gambling, I don't gamble.
but I just heard about a company going public soon that might just be a winner.

If I were looking for an investment opportunity today, I'd research autonomous trucking.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/this-year-autonomous-trucks-will-take-to-the-road-with-no-one-on-board

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/08/19/why-tusimple-stock-is-surging-today/

MostlyLeverGuns
08-20-2021, 12:05 PM
I have had accounts with Schwab and Fidelity since the 80's. I have done well. When the market falls you must just look away and wait. The market has always recovered and gone on to higher values. Take 2008, market value of my portfolio dropped by half, but tripled since the low of 2008. Bought stuff when I could in 2009/2010. Occasionally get rid of a poorly performing item but mostly just let it ride. If you can't look away when the market drops, stay away from being an active investor. Bonds, cd's, savings accounts have returned about 20% of what my equity accounts have provided over the years. Being 'safe' is very expensive. Brokers and advisors may OR MAY NOT be helpful. Read A few books about investing before you spend/lose money. The 'market' IS NOT Las Vegas but you can play and lose or invest and win, there is a difference. Invest in stuff you know and like first, then decide your direction. IPO's are usually risky and require research.

popper
08-20-2021, 01:18 PM
IPOs -GlobalFoundries About 100M shares already owned privately, planning IPO to get more cash which could dilute stock by 1/2. This IPO appears to be a buyout of private stockholders (they got stock which they can then hold or sell), so only a portion of available stock goes to the market. Big banks get first choice, retail last.

farmbif
08-20-2021, 02:38 PM
I figure people gotta eat
here's what I was looking at

https://www.world-grain.com/articles/15261-benson-hill-to-go-public-through-spac

lightman
08-20-2021, 05:25 PM
I've dabbled in stocks a little bit over the years. And I made a little bit of money. But if I had stayed at it long enough I figure I would have eventually lost.

But like many of you, I had a 401K plan at work. I had most of it in stock index funds, mostly Blue Chip. Over the long haul it did well. It was a wild ride at times. I remember 1987, 2000, 2007-2008 and 2015. Even parts of 2018 and 2020 were not pretty! When I retired I watched the market and closed out all of the stocks when they were at or near record highs. Then I moved it over to a good friend at Wells Fargo Advisers. He slowly bought back into a few index funds. I run a higher % of stock, about 85%, than the experts recommend for retired people but I have a pension and Social Security. That makes my risk tolerance higher than most.

gwrench
08-20-2021, 05:45 PM
I'm sure the current high stock prices will come down hard, but I don't know when. A lot could happen before then.

About a year ago I passed some inheritance money on to my kids. At the time I told them not to invest in stocks because I thought they were overvalued, too high. I recently checked 401 returns on my index funds and one had 83% return in one year!

Nobody knows the future. If you're in it for the long haul it might pay to get at least some money in the market.

beezapilot
08-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Start slow. Dollar cost average into the market, no more than you can afford- treat it like a monthly bill. Mutual funds are a fantastic instrument for investing. Look for a "no load / low cost" fund, T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, VanGuard are very good places to start looking. If you feel that there is an area of the market that is going to be "the next thing" chances are good that there is a sector (specialized) fund that will focus on that technology / area of the market. Know that should you venture into independent stocks and IPO's you're trying to get the penny out of the bottom of a barrel of rattlesnakes, until you know the ropes, it is a good place to stay out of.
DO NOT invest money that you think you may need in the next 3 years, it is a long term investment, not a savings account- markets go up and down, if you NEED the money and the market is down- there WILL be a loss when you take it out. When the market is up, skim the cream, re-invest in something else, diversify. Investments should be secondary to an emergency bank account, paying down credit cards and other debit.
It is not a complex as it sounds, often that is because of new terminology. Reloading is much more complicated.

bangerjim
08-20-2021, 06:59 PM
Take it from someone who has tons of money in several hundred different stocks in every market venue. ONLY buy stocks that pay dividends! We live off the dividends paid out. The only way you can make money off non-dividend stocks is to sell them. Dividend-paying stocks just sit there, increasing in value (if you ever DO want to sell) and keep sending you checks every month/quarter! A real nice way to make your money work.

But don't put all your eggs (money) in one basket! Have 10% of your worth in precious metals (mainly gold). NOT gold stocks or bullion bars/coins, but real solid gold MINTED US coins you can hold in your hand. I prefer the $20 St. Gaudens coins.

And then have some money in financially guaranteed annuities that hold sold when the markets go down and increase when they go up.

With those three tools in place, you can just sit back and watch the money roll in, no matter what the markets do. NEVER DAY TRADE! Unless you really know what you are doing, have a VERY fast connection and are in front of your computer all day.

IPO's are risky. And you NEVER buy them at the opening prices! Even mid-sized brokers that a back seat to all the mega b rokers on IPO's. We have dabbled in them in years past. Lost a little money on most. They generally shoot way up the 1st few days, then you can buy them, and then normally go down to at or below the opening offering! I recommend sticking with well-know stocks on the boards.

Watch out for "insurance agents" posing as stock brokers! The only get paid when something buys or sells. Our fiduciary investment firm is paid a flat 2.0% per year. Period. They buy, sell, move, invest within our several portfolios all the time (with our approvals) and no hidden fees. Look around for a good fiduciary firm and ask friends you know that have a good chunk of their money invested with them. Avoid the big billboard name firms!!!!!!!

jaysouth
08-20-2021, 11:11 PM
I have never "played" or "dabbled" in the market. I have several accounts with Baird and Company, some are tax deferred, 401K and IRA, some are not, one is a Roth. My advisor has put me 60% in mutual funds that rise and fall with the S&P 500, 40% in bonds. The accounts have doubled since I handed the investments over to him in 2016. I check my account once a week and am very pleased. My wife and I live on pensions and social security. None of my grandkids will ever have to borrow money for school or to make a down payment on a house.

BunkTheory
08-21-2021, 01:49 AM
the market is manipulated into collapsing every time it hits a certain amount.

The money on the market is imaginary, the money in your old monopoly game has more value in it.

Land Owner
08-21-2021, 08:07 AM
If everyone IN the market made a profit, from where would the money come to pay OUT?

I suspect (an opinion) that INSURANCE COMPANIES rule market swings. They have a LOT of our money.

Historically, I don't gamble because I stink at it. NOT being in the market, as diversification of a financial portfolio, is BAD.

Owning LAND is GOOD. You can't eat it, but you can live off of/on it. Selling it takes time. Waiting for the right person to come forward, while suffering through the low-ballers, is painful at times - depending on the property, location, phase of the moon, flood of refugees crossing the border, etc. When a land sale goes right it usually really goes RIGHT - for both Seller AND Purchaser.

downzero
08-21-2021, 10:14 AM

The money on the market is imaginary, the money in your old monopoly game has more value in it.

If that's what you really believe, then you should be a billionaire by now. Since you're not, I'm going to call that "conspiracy theory."

jaysouth
08-21-2021, 01:35 PM

In the last 50 years, when did the market "collapse"

rancher1913
08-21-2021, 02:41 PM
were you asleep in 2007-2008

MT Gianni
08-21-2021, 03:04 PM
07-08 the Market hit a hard bump. If you were smart and had money you bought. My 401K recovered all it "lost" in 18 months. I am retired and a fair risk taker when it comes to my investments, I run about 65% stocks 35% bonds cash and metals. Since the 90's, my stocks have out earned what the metals have by a large amount.

jonp
08-21-2021, 05:18 PM
BTW, i also put some money up on Coinbase for crypto. I have quadrupled it but it is just as likely to go to zero so i highly recommend money you wont miss if you do this

jonp
08-21-2021, 05:21 PM
07-08 the Market hit a hard bump. If you were smart and had money you bought. My 401K recovered all it "lost" in 18 months. I am retired and a fair risk taker when it comes to my investments, I run about 65% stocks 35% bonds cash and metals. Since the 90's, my stocks have out earned what the metals have by a large amount.

I bought Goldman Sachs bonds at 8% yield right around then. Metals will never make you rich but will never go to zero, either. Or if your the Hunt brothers they might land you in jail.

Buck Shot
08-21-2021, 05:51 PM
In the last 50 years, when did the market "collapse"

Peak to Trough (Drop from Peak to Trough)

January 1973 to October 1974 (-48%)
November 1980 to August 1982 (-27%)
August to December 1987 (-34%)
March to October 2001 (-49%)
October 2007 to March 2009 (-57%)

I've heard it said that if averaged over the decades, the stock market generally gives an average annual return of about 10%.

But just as you never want to be the last person to sell in a selloff (thus defining the "bottom"), you never want to be the last person to buy into the Ponzi (thus defining the "top")...

Edward
08-21-2021, 06:08 PM
That"s why you get a professional ,on your own you will lose. Panic when it goes down/which ones to buy/when to sell/tax implications /how to develop a portfolio /diversification of investment . Unless you are in that business it is most definitely a crap shoot /loser !

Sam Casey
08-21-2021, 06:10 PM
I have been invested in the market for my entire working life and now into retirement. Certainly don’t recommend it for all, but I was was blessed with good education and early career in law & banking, etc, but don’t believe that is necessary for being a successful investor. Many employers offer retirement plan investment choices that all entitled should take advantage of. Something as simple as 60% stock; 40 fixed income will pay off nicely over time.

Edward
08-21-2021, 06:17 PM
That"s why you get a professional ,on your own you will lose. Panic when it goes down/which ones to buy/when to sell/tax implications /how to develop a portfolio /diversification of investment . Unless you are in that business it most definitely a crap shoot /loser !

gwpercle
08-21-2021, 06:29 PM
I would go with my Dad and Uncle to a place on Airline Hwy. in Baton Rouge , they would buy and sell Stock .... Dominique's Stockyard ... 1462 Airline Hwy if you want to do some stock trading .
The Stockyard Cafe is a good place to eat ...they serve a wonderful and large breakfast ... the place has been there since 1937 , so they must be doing something right !
Gary

reddog81
08-21-2021, 08:02 PM
That"s why you get a professional ,on your own you will lose. Panic when it goes down/which ones to buy/when to sell/tax implications /how to develop a portfolio /diversification of investment . Unless you are in that business it most definitely a crap shoot /loser !

That’s what the professionals want you to think so they can make a few % off you every year. The market is rigged so the house always wins but the little guy can do well if he does some research and invests wisely.

The stock linked by the OP is nothing but a crap shoot. Some Agri-tech company looking to grow revenue 100% per year. Maybe it’ll work out and it’ll be the next Monsanto or more likely bankrupt in 3 years.

bangerjim
08-21-2021, 08:05 PM
were you asleep in 2007-2008

I lost nothing during that period! Smart investments in annuities and firm stocks ........I actually MADE money during the so-called "collapse" you reference.

Casual dabblers in the market generally loose their shorts. They should NOT be playing in "the deep waters" like I do. Making money is not something that can be done frivolously. It is not for the faint of heart of ill-educated. It takes study and wisdom to succeed in those hard times. Right now, the waters are smooth and the sailing is fine...............to make tons of money. If you KNOW what you are doing.

Handloader109
08-21-2021, 08:39 PM
Learn. Don't just rely on a so called expert. Most of the experts make good money on You. every percent they charge to manage is a percent you don't earn.
If you work and have a 401k option Use it. If you have a Roth option use it more. Roth is after tax money invested and gains won't be taxed again, unlike 401k that you must pay taxes on.
Bonds right now are eaning practically nothing. Invest in stock funds rather than individual stocks. I do own about 5 individual stocks, but nowhere near most of my money.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

garandsrus
08-21-2021, 10:40 PM
Wow, there are a lot of folks here that don’t understand stocks at all. When you buy a stock, you are buying a very small ownership position in the company. This gives you the right to benefit from ownership, such as receiving a portion of their earnings, called a dividend. If the company keeps growing, the stock price should keep growing also since each piece of the company is now worth more, based on more earnings from the bigger company.

For a new investor, just open a brokerage account at E*Trade, Fidelity, Charles Schwartz, etc. Purchase an index fund that trades like a stock, QQQ to mirror the Nasdaq, or SPY to mirror the S&P 500. Or buy some of both! Keep investing in them each month and you have hit the “Easy” button. You will get some dividends. Any gains in the price are not taxable until you sell the stock. If you pass the stock on to your heirs, they get the gains tax free. Their “new” purchase price is whatever the price was when they received the stock, making your gains tax free to them.

As for corrections, they do happen from time to time but the market is at an all time high so any correction that ever happened in all of history has been erased. You only lose money when you sell, just like you only make money when you sell. The stock market has returned an average of 7% over time, far outpacing any bonds or savings account,

snowwolfe
08-22-2021, 11:30 AM
It’s to bad people are scared to invest. The market always goes back up, always always always. It might take a couple of years but it ALWAYS goes up. Just got our annual 401k report and ours went up 18% over the last 12 months.
Only thing I do is move it around occasionally when it hits a new peak or when it makes a big drop from the high peaks. Mostly I win, but sometimes not. Still 18% profit isn’t shabby for last 12 months. Luckily we will not be forced to withdraw any of it for another 8 years so it will continue to build.

memtb
08-22-2021, 11:35 AM
P
I would go with my Dad and Uncle to a place on Airline Hwy. in Baton Rouge , they would buy and sell Stock .... Dominique's Stockyard ... 1462 Airline Hwy if you want to do some stock trading .
The Stockyard Cafe is a good place to eat ...they serve a wonderful and large breakfast ... the place has been there since 1937 , so they must be doing something right !
Gary

Been there a few times, many years ago! I’ve been more successful with the other kind of stock! ;-) memtb

Four-Sixty
08-22-2021, 03:40 PM
The market always goes back up, always always always. It might take a couple of years but it ALWAYS goes up.

I can agree with this largely because our Country forgot how to make stuff, and has gotten very good at creating speculative bubbles. We need to get all who have done so well here to go on the record with some market calls. That'd be interesting to review in a year.

lightman
08-22-2021, 04:00 PM
If I were still playing in the market I would have bought some Boing stock when they started having problems with the 737. In February of 2020 I would have bought some airline and cruse ship stock. Maybe some from pharmaceutical companies. Last March or April I would have bought some Blue Chip indexes.

Yeah, I know. Everything I listed would be looking back but this was what caught my eye back then. Right now I'm not seeing anything that I would bet on.

Piedmont
08-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Learn. Don't just rely on a so called expert. Most of the experts make good money on You. every percent they charge to manage is a percent you don't earn.

I agree with this %100. All these calls to use a professional have me thinking, "You're about to be skinned if you do that." If you do use a professional hire a fee only planner who doesn't sell anything but his advice. Then you have to know enough to pick the right one. When you know enough to do that, you'll no longer need advice so it won't be necessary.

popper
08-22-2021, 08:16 PM
you are buying a very small ownership position in the company
Yup, the 'idea' is good. Reality is different. This is reality in a privately held company. Public stock? Nope, just get in line for 'profits' of the company in terms of selling price or dividends. Private Co is a little tricky, 'real' owners can strip the CO of assets and you get stuck with empty bag. Same with public, but more regulation there.

fecmech
08-22-2021, 08:29 PM
Back in the 60's I had some extra cash ($600), did some research and wanted to invest in a new company called Ryder Rentals. Went to Merrill Lynch to invest and they talked me out of it, Too risky they said, buy Detroit Edison so I did. Turned my $600 into $300 in two years. Meanwhile Ryder went through the roof! Best thing that ever happened to me. I decided that if I was going to lose money it would be me making the call, not someone else. With all the info available today, educate yourself and make your own decisions. If you're afraid to do that, hire a Fiduciary not a financial planner to advise you. My two cents.

farmbif
08-22-2021, 08:51 PM
I understand enough to spot bargains just never did invest, like I say I have never gambled,
when Freddie and Fannie Mac and AIG dropped to nearly nothing in I think it was 2009 I called a good friend told him to buy AIG it was about 60 cents a share
maybe ill just wait till another market correction and maybe pick up some blue chip stock when they are low.

jaydub in wi
08-22-2021, 08:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't make emotional, panic driven decisions. Last year, my 401k at work was -33% year to date at one point. The account finished last year at +20.5%. I never changed my funds. A co worker panicked and sold all of his stock funds at this time and didn't get back in until a year later. This decision cost him about $300,000. The bad thing is he has done it before back in 2008-09. Like the ronco guy said in the commercials "Set it and forget it"

Handloader109
10-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Whatever you do, don't make emotional, panic driven decisions. Last year, my 401k at work was -33% year to date at one point. The account finished last year at +20.5%. I never changed my funds. A co worker panicked and sold all of his stock funds at this time and didn't get back in until a year later. This decision cost him about $300,000. The bad thing is he has done it before back in 2008-09. Like the ronco guy said in the commercials "Set it and forget it"Agreed. I sold off and held in cash inside my IRA right before the 2019 election. Then bought back same funds and stock. I missed out on at least a 5% increase... Has been bumpy this year, but I'm just letting it ride. The only real place that the average joe can make good money over the years by saving just a bit each payday. My only regret is this was 401k and ira accounts. I owe taxes on it all. If it was a ROTH account nothing is taxable. If you have kids or grandchildren, they should all be putting money in a roth account.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Finster101
10-11-2021, 07:53 AM
I have been putting in to a ROTH account for several years. My concern is that one day or money grubbing feds will find a way to do away with them and with some of the dealings that have been proposed, no drought find a way to tax you on it again when you take it out. I know it sounds far fetched but so does having to report every $600.00 transaction.

waksupi
10-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Guns have been my go-to investment, and they pay off better than most other investments. Those $39 Moisant Nagants ain't $39 anymore.

When I was paying into a 401K, I looked into just what the financial guy had me invested in, and withdrew the money. He had me involved in companies I wanted zero to do with.

FISH4BUGS
10-11-2021, 01:43 PM
My money is easy to manage - I'm broke. :)
But I learned many years ago that the stock market is, indeed, gambling. The last crash many of my friends lost half (or more) of their money. Some that were heavily into tech stocks lost even more.
Now is not the time if you want in. Keep your cash, and buy in when the next crash hits. Try to call the bottom (even if you aren't correct) and jump in with both feet. Buy and hold.
Me? I put my money in good old cash and in gold and silver....and good high high condition quality collectible guns.
The market will crash. No doubt about that.
This afternoon? Tomorrow? next week? When?????
We are but one random event from triggering the crash....and boy will it be messy when it happens.
If you want in, THAT is the time to buy.

snowwolfe
10-12-2021, 12:28 PM
My money is easy to manage - I'm broke. :)
But I learned many years ago that the stock market is, indeed, gambling. The last crash many of my friends lost half (or more) of their money. Some that were heavily into tech stocks lost even more.
Now is not the time if you want in. Keep your cash, and buy in when the next crash hits. Try to call the bottom (even if you aren't correct) and jump in with both feet. Buy and hold.
Me? I put my money in good old cash and in gold and silver....and good high high condition quality collectible guns.
The market will crash. No doubt about that.
This afternoon? Tomorrow? next week? When?????
We are but one random event from triggering the crash....and boy will it be messy when it happens.
If you want in, THAT is the time to buy.

Your broke and giving advice to people on how to invest?
Pay attention people, this man knows what he is talking about!

IHuntDragons
10-12-2021, 12:39 PM
I own a bunch of stock in union pacific, its all held by the u.p. agent of record and does not cost me a cent to maintain it, all expenses are covered by u.p.

I believe all companies have an agent of record that you can purchase stock from and they will hold it for you, and do any reinvesting, you do not need to have a broker and you really do not need to pay all the broker fees. I can buy and sell as I see fit and no commissions.

90% of the online brokers don't charge commissions at this point either FYI.

jonp
10-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Right about now i'd be very cautious in this market considering who is in charge, monetary supply, shipping/supply concerns and inflation.

Im not a professional but i see a huge correction coming especially in real estate

FISH4BUGS
10-12-2021, 03:38 PM
Your broke and giving advice to people on how to invest?
Pay attention people, this man knows what he is talking about!

I'm broke when it comes to the stock market. :)

alamogunr
10-12-2021, 10:44 PM
I invested the max in mutual funds in the 401K at work. Retired in 2006, rolled the 401K over to an IRA. Just in time for the 2007-2008 panic. I was too slow/dumb to do anything but ride it out. Was completely whole within 18 months after it started back up.

Over the 15 years I've been retired I've withdrawn over 1/3 of a million $$ and have more in my brokerage accounts than I had when I retired.

I don't try to argue or convince anyone to invest. That is a waste of time. I had rather study about investing and the market and try my best to leave emotion out of it completely. Panicking at a downturn of the market is the best way to end up poor. If you want to gamble, bet $2 on the horses. After you lose $10 to $12, walk away. There are other similar scenario's.

rancher1913
10-13-2021, 08:20 AM
90% of the online brokers don't charge commissions at this point either FYI.

somebody somewhere pays them, they aint in it for fun. like I said all my fees are paid by the company so I know I am not getting stuck with some hidden fees.

IHuntDragons
10-13-2021, 08:40 AM
somebody somewhere pays them, they aint in it for fun. like I said all my fees are paid by the company so I know I am not getting stuck with some hidden fees.

Absolutely someone pays them, just isn't you.