PDA

View Full Version : Wood lathe

abunaitoo
08-19-2021, 04:55 AM
Been looking for a cheap, small, wood lathe to try my hand at making mold handles.
Found one on craigs list for free .
She said it didn't work.
For free, I figure nothing to lose.
Came with some extra parts, but no chisels.
Seems all it needs is a new belt.
On order.
Anyone know of a cheap duplicator I might try????

Scrounge
08-19-2021, 07:08 AM
You should check out homemadetools.net, they have several duplicators. https://www.homemadetools.net/site/search?q=wood+lathe+duplicator&Search=

HTH!

Bill

smithnframe
08-19-2021, 07:57 AM
Man…….the price was right! Keep us updated.

shell70634
08-19-2021, 08:02 AM
Mold handles now, pens are next. Been down that road.

Scrounge
08-19-2021, 08:09 AM
Mold handles now, pens are next. Been down that road.

I managed to avoid that problem with the wood lathes. Not so successful at avoiding the similar problem with metal cutting lathes...

"Hi! My name is Bill, and I'm a Toolohaulic."

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-19-2021, 11:25 AM
Sweet deal, china puts all kinds of labels on that lathe, Harborfrieght and Grizzly just to name a couple.
Mine has the Harborfrieght tag. While reading on the internet, it was mentioned that the belts not lasting real long and it's a real weird size, so after a search, I seen Grizzly has the best price ($4), so I ordered a couple spares (just in case) as well as a spare live center. The one that came with my HF machine became a bit stiff...it'll probably heat up and seize, sooner or later.

As for chisels, I like the vintage, USA made, Sears craftsman chisels, they can be found on ebay for about the same price as the new chinese chisels at Harborfrieght. The Benjamin's Best chisels are china made, but are made from good tool steel and are probably the best priced new chisels.

Alstep
08-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Old files make great chisels. Just grind the shape you want and go make chips.

pworley1
08-19-2021, 12:26 PM
If you need belts give these folks a try. They have almost everything associated with belts. On my sawmill their belts outlast everything else I have tried.
https://www.vbeltsupply.com/

bangerjim
08-19-2021, 01:17 PM
Best duplicator on the market is VEGA.

www.vegawoodworking.com/product/midi-lathe-duplicator/

I have one and it is excellent for duplicating anything you can get between centers!

NOVA is a good lathe. Used to be made in Oz. I have one of their ornamental turning engine attachments for my BIG lathe. Quality thru & thru.

This VEGA is made for that size of lathe you were given. Spend some money on a good duplicator since you got a multi hundred lathe for free!

MrHarmless
08-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Sweet deal, china puts all kinds of labels on that lathe, Harborfrieght and Grizzly just to name a couple.
Mine has the Harborfrieght tag. While reading on the internet, it was mentioned that the belts not lasting real long and it's a real weird size, so after a search, I seen Grizzly has the best price ($4), so I ordered a couple spares (just in case) as well as a spare live center. The one that came with my HF machine became a bit stiff...it'll probably heat up and seize, sooner or later.

As for chisels, I like the vintage, USA made, Sears craftsman chisels, they can be found on ebay for about the same price as the new chinese chisels at Harborfrieght. The Benjamin's Best chisels are china made, but are made from good tool steel and are probably the best priced new chisels.

Checks. Grizzly and the Central Machinery brand actually have a lot of overlap in compatibility. You have to do a little digging to find the "Mother Model", but if you can do that, Grizzly typically has replacement parts for lathes that Harbor Freight doesn't carry any more. That was the case with my 10x20, which was compatible with the G4000, and SC4 lathes.

abunaitoo
08-20-2021, 02:19 AM
Belt already ordered through evil bay.
I've been searching evil bay for chisels.
Would like some old Craftsman ones, but not to many for sale.
Lots of chinese junk.
But they are cheap.
I was looking for a Vega duplicator, but didn't find to many.
They are expensive.
I did find this one for a reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313627327791?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Another project to get to....................sooner or later.

Stephen Cohen
08-20-2021, 04:50 AM
Alstep hit the nail on the head files make good tools, round flat square all have different uses, old rifle barrels can make some good gouges as well but take a bit of work. Regards Stephen

Wayne Smith
08-20-2021, 08:50 AM
As far as duplicators go, unless you are OCD your eyes are adequate. Get the thing running, get a gouge, and give it a try. Go on u-tube a look at between center wood turning and I'll bet you get some ideas. Have you access to wood? Dry or wet, it doesn't matter for practice. Wear a face shield if turning wet wood, or have a towel within reach!

Looks as if you may need a tool rest. Grizzley tools has several that should work.

bangerjim
08-20-2021, 12:58 PM
Belt already ordered through evil bay.
I've been searching evil bay for chisels.
Would like some old Craftsman ones, but not to many for sale.
Lots of chinese junk.
But they are cheap.
I was looking for a Vega duplicator, but didn't find to many.
They are expensive.
I did find this one for a reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313627327791?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Another project to get to....................sooner or later.

Never encountered that brand, but is is built very similar to the VEGA units. The chain drive is the secret.

$154 is cheap for that little one....about 1/2 the price of a new one.

If I did not have one , I would buy that!

Many times I have learned "the best things in life are not cheap"! Buy the best once................and own/use it for a lifetime.

banger

bangerjim
08-20-2021, 01:21 PM
As far as duplicators go, unless you are OCD your eyes are adequate. Get the thing running, get a gouge, and give it a try. Go on u-tube a look at between center wood turning and I'll bet you get some ideas. Have you access to wood? Dry or wet, it doesn't matter for practice. Wear a face shield if turning wet wood, or have a towel within reach!

Looks as if you may need a tool rest. Grizzley tools has several that should work.

For making simple rough shapes like common mold handles, repeatability by eye is probably good enough. The kind of work I do (fine antique repair and reproduction) I need to take an original turning, use it as a master pattern on the VEGA, and turn as many as 8 EXACT duplicates with fine details. The VEGA is perfect for that.

If I were to make simple mold handles or pens (which I have made over 50 of in years past), I would do it by eye and a set of calipers or use a story stick.

As far as cutting tools..........again buy the best you can afford. Forget grinding old files! No fine control when using them. Smooth HHS against a hardened rest gives you total precise control, not trying to slide a file across the rest!!!!!!!! OMG. I have every gouge and chisel Sorby makes/made. They produce the best cuts/finishes and rarely ever need sharpening, even when cutting hard woods like I do. The are made of true HHS metal (like metal lathe cutters) and hold an edge almost forever. But I probably have over $2,000 invested in the complete set. I used an old Craftsman 12 piece set when I started out turning 40 years ago and the old ones in the blue box are not a bad alloy. They just do not make consumer grade tools today like in the old days!!!!!! Thanks again......... to CHINA.......for pure garbage tools and the VIRUS!

abunaitoo
08-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Since this is a small wood lathe, would short handle chisels work OK????
Found a set that is 6" long, made in Japan, and one that is 14" long, made in china:sad:.
I'm thinking the longer the better.

Going to try and order the duplicator.

JimB..
08-20-2021, 04:55 PM
Nova lathes are (or were) made by technatool in New Zealand. It’s one of the better small woodturning lathes. Pens, pepper mills, miniature bird houses, christmas ornaments and small bowls are easily within it’s capabilities.

I would not get the duplicator until you have a need. I almost bought one 20 years ago, but I have never missed not having one.

About learning, use tree branches that aren’t too dry. Don’t expect to get a good result turning palm, it’s a difficult wood to get a clean cut. Learn to sharpen!

beezapilot
08-20-2021, 05:04 PM
I've never run one that small, longer handles on chisels give you more control and leverage. "Learn to sharpen" is superb advice, that will happen if you make your own tools- but that is time consuming. Craigslist may be your best option for $275 you can have a mini-shop. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tls/d/kapolei-mk-shopsmith-and-accessories/7359604594.html

08-20-2021, 05:24 PM
This might help, as I've found them to be very good and friendly folks: Al Bino Industrial Belting. 610 - 670 - 1603

bangerjim
08-20-2021, 07:04 PM
Since this is a small wood lathe, would short handle chisels work OK????
Found a set that is 6" long, made in Japan, and one that is 14" long, made in china:sad:.
I'm thinking the longer the better.

Going to try and order the duplicator.

The handle length is NOTHING to do with the length of the bed! It is the mechanical advantage you have with the longer handles and the stability they give the turner. I only use short stubby ones on teeny diameter work on my small wood lathe.

A small lathe can just as easily catch and throw a short chisel as a large one. stick to at least 12-14 " handlers. I have some that 24 inches!

It's all about stability and safety.

bangerjim
08-20-2021, 07:06 PM
I've never run one that small, longer handles on chisels give you more control and leverage. "Learn to sharpen" is superb advice, that will happen if you make your own tools- but that is time consuming. Craigslist may be your best option for $275 you can have a mini-shop. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tls/d/kapolei-mk-shopsmith-and-accessories/7359604594.html

I started out my 1st shop with one of those things! good tool. You just spend inordinaet amouhts of time changes from one too to another during a project. I used it until I could afford the group of firm stationary dedicated woodworking tools that that thing would morph into. Not a bad price. And t is over on the rock! You could pick it up.

JimB..
08-20-2021, 07:16 PM
One nice thing about a lathe, you can make almost whatever length handle you want.

Dutchman
08-20-2021, 11:10 PM
Wood lathes are fun.

https://images20.fotki.com/v1534/photos/4/28344/7503119/DSCF8255b1-vi.jpg (https://public.fotki.com/dutchman/vintage_machine_tools/wood-lathe/dscf8255b.html)

https://images51.fotki.com/v1563/photos/4/28344/7503119/photo-vi.jpg (https://public.fotki.com/dutchman/vintage_machine_tools/wood-lathe/wood2-jpg.html)

country gent
08-21-2021, 07:37 AM
One of my favorite wood chisels is called a skew gouge its a cross between a skew and chisel. decent for roughing and does good finishing. Easy to sharpen also. pock up a good set of chisels some stones to sharpen and assorted sand paper and start working.

When making handles pens canes. I finish right in the machine here are some very good finishes that can be applied under power quickly

Wayne Smith
08-21-2021, 07:58 AM
When I was making pens my disappointment - and basically why I stopped - is that my wood finish lasted significantly longer that the kit's metal finish - paint flaked, gold finish wore off, etc. So yeah, learn to finish on the lathe and you will have very useful stuff.

William Yanda
08-21-2021, 08:22 AM
Somewhere I heard/saw a tip about using cheap end wrenches for gages-not gouges-for lathe work. Might help turning mold handles to get similar sized ones.

bangerjim
08-21-2021, 08:15 PM
Somewhere I heard/saw a tip about using cheap end wrenches for gages-not gouges-for lathe work. Might help turning mold handles to get similar sized ones.

You can use open end wrenches for sizing gauges. Been done for many many decades. And everybody has open end wrenches!!!!!! Just pick the size you want to turn to and keep trying to fit it over the turning you are doing.

I prefer calipers, as they are thin and fit into nooks and crannies of the detailed turnings I turn out.

Bad Ass Wallace
08-21-2021, 08:30 PM
When making your boolit mold handles use some well seasoned hardwood. I use KD17 (kiln dryed) and find the handles less affected by long exposure to heat.

As with most tools, you will upgrade to a bigger machine, then you will be asked a "favour" and next thing, you're making full sized wedding reception tables with turned legs!

https://i.imgur.com/8KlidrW.jpg

abunaitoo
08-22-2021, 02:33 AM
Got the belt today.
Works great.
At least it spins anyway.
I did order the duplicator.
Now I have to build a stand for it.

Scrounge
08-22-2021, 10:32 AM
When making your boolit mold handles use some well seasoned hardwood. I use KD17 (kiln dryed) and find the handles less affected by long exposure to heat.

As with most tools, you will upgrade to a bigger machine, then you will be asked a "favour" and next thing, you're making full sized wedding reception tables with turned legs!

https://i.imgur.com/8KlidrW.jpg

Sometimes you just have to learn to say "NO!"

If you can... ;)

NIce looking tables, btw. Too bad for me that you're in Australia. :)

Bill

Scrounge
08-22-2021, 10:33 AM
Got the belt today.
Works great.
At least it spins anyway.
I did order the duplicator.
Now I have to build a stand for it.

There is a video on YouTube that is named something like "how not to ruin your workbench." I'd advise watching it. Might save you from making several of the mistakes I made.

Bill

abunaitoo
08-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Almost all of the tools are on rolling carts.
Just don't have the room for permanent benches.
Rolling carts are not the best for things like a lathe, but got no choice.
Metal lathe and mill are rolling.
Works fine for me.
Hope to extend a part of the roof when the price of wood comes down.

Scrounge
08-22-2021, 03:31 PM
Almost all of the tools are on rolling carts.
Just don't have the room for permanent benches.
Rolling carts are not the best for things like a lathe, but got no choice.
Metal lathe and mill are rolling.
Works fine for me.
Hope to extend a part of the roof when the price of wood comes down.

I've been putting my machine tools on rolling carts, too. Plan on making leveling feet for them eventually. Should be a good thing, once done, since my "workshop" is a former back porch that got turned into a patio, and then enclosed, so the slab is not particularly flat or level. Unfortunately, I needed one more rolling cart than I had, so I've had to make a cabinet for the Atlas lathe as it's too long for any of the 42" or 46" cabinets I already have. That and the mini-mill & mini-lathe are both a bit too long to share a cabinet, so I needed one more than even my revised plan called for. $$ just aren't there right now. So I sacrificed an old toy chest the kids used to use, and the base for an old industrial sewing machine that is no longer repairable and got scrapped out. The combination is now something resembling a lathe stand for the Atlas TH42. Got it more or less mounted today, need to do some sealing of the drip pan I set it on. And one of these days, when I have more spare change, I'll need to replace the drip pan, and move the lathe about 4" to the left. At least with this setup it doesn't hang off both ends of the cabinet. That toy chest is 67" long.

Bill

country gent
08-23-2021, 08:56 AM
Put a jack screw leveling screw at each caster ( takes a little figuring with the swivels) then roll out and jack up off the casters on solid feet when using.

A 1/4" plate with a 3/4 or 1" nut and thru hole for the threaded rod works well and bolts on with the caster. these will also allow the machine to be leveled if required

Wayne Smith
08-23-2021, 09:34 AM
Not only level, when you level it take it off the casters and it won't move around nearly as much. Don't plan on doing big bowls until you have it on something solid, though. Those blocks have massive weight miss distribution and will walk you lathe and bench around the room.

bangerjim
08-23-2021, 01:16 PM
To steady the lathe, even though it is a small one, put two 100# bags of sand or cement on a low shelf under the lathe. I did that many years ago when I had a lathe on a rolling bench. I now no longer use ANYTHING that rolls or moves around! Too unreliable and unstable. All the many power tools I own now have their dedicated floor space.

blackthorn
08-24-2021, 11:36 AM
There are casters made that have locking devices on them so that all you have to do is locate the bench, engage the locking device and the bench is held stationary.

bangerjim
08-24-2021, 02:49 PM
There are casters made that have locking devices on them so that all you have to do is locate the bench, engage the locking device and the bench is held stationary.

The problem with those is even though they are "locked in place", they still shimmy around because you are sitting on RUBBER TIRE WHEELS! Not a good situation for a lathe. Or any woodworking tool/bench. I got rid of all the many rubber locking casters I had in previous shops and went with stationary SOLID benches and stands.

Handloader109
08-24-2021, 03:42 PM
Buy ONE decent gouge, And One Skew. And a parting tool if you want, but it can be easily made from a piece of 1/2" wide flat stock. (won't hold an edge long if cold roll, but for parting it doesn't matter.) For that size lathe, get a half inch or 3/8 gouge and roughly that size skew. Learn to use them. Then add tools if you want.

There are a number of cheap tools on that evil site, all these are about the same quality as the old craftsman sets (I've got one set of those from the early 80s) HSS is fine.
Have fun

bangerjim
08-24-2021, 04:03 PM
The skew is perhaps the MOST difficult tool to master. Start with gouges and a scraper and a good cut-off tool. Again, Sorby is the absolute BEST. Excellent HSS alloy that rarely needs tuning up/sharpening with a diamond hone....NEVER EVER a grinding stone!!!!!!!! Unless you have a slow speed 12" water wheel like I use to hollow grind tools, knives, chisels, screwdriver blades, and plane blades.

A skew will catch and throw itself across the room in an eye blink, ruining your turning, your wall, and perhaps your body. Approach the skew with extreme caution. It shaves like a razor blade or block plane and can easily catch. That is why I have 14" handles on my skews! Master your turning techniques before ever tuning with a skew. If mastered, it can yield an almost perfect glass-like finish that needs hardly any sanding!

Just think quality when buying any tooling. Buy the most expensive quality tool you can afford. You will not be sorry.

15meter
08-24-2021, 04:26 PM
Being a semi-serious woodturner:

Don't waste your money on a duplicator, been turning for ~45 years, never had one never wanted one.

Be careful about using files for turning tools, it can be done, I have done it but they can be brittle and break.

Longer tool handles on the turning tools makes control easier.

Look for local woodturning clubs. I don't know if there are any on the islands, there are probably a dozen in Michigan. I've belonged to one for 8-10 years, best thing I did as far as woodturning.

Less tools are better. I've got probably 30-40 different turning chisels. Use less than a dozen on a regular basis.

There are two schools of turning, cutting and scraping. Scraping is by far easier to learn in the beginning.

White(vitrified aluminum oxide)(~$30+) grinding wheels are by far superior to the run of the mill standard gray grinding wheels.

Cheap steel can be made into turning tools, they just won't hold an edge long. Try some just to see if you like turning. 3/8" thick by 1" wide x 18" long is a good place to start. Use it with out a handle. Grind a radius on the end with a lot relief(under cut).

I've used Casenite to make some very nice scrapers.

When you grind scrapers(round nose is the easiest) DO NOT hone off the burr that is raised on the top of the tool, that burr, if use properly, can leave a very nice surface.

Start between centers, look at a "stieb" center for the headstock, if you get a catch, it will slip and not take the tool out of your hand or the wood off the lathe. Tighten up the tailstock and try again.

Look up "riding the bevel" by presenting the tool to the work so the bevel is rubbing the work piece, than lifting the rear of the tool SLOWLY you can control the cut much better and reduce the chance of a catch that has the potential to scare you away from turning.

Buy a piece of round hand rail, cut it into short pieces (18" maximum, chuck up a piece and start there. Then chuck up a square piece, starting with a square piece to start WILL be scary.

I think this is the book that has lots of basic common sense advice. I think this was the one that talks about making your own tools from common materials you probably already have:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-lathe-book-a-complete-guide-for-the-wood-craftsman_ernie-conover/383082/item/5401932/?mkwid=WBQEzX39%7cdc&pcrid=11558858354&pkw=&pmt=be&slid=&product=5401932&plc=&pgrid=3970769428&ptaid=pla-1101002863359&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing+Shopping+%7c+Crafts%2c+Hobbies+&+Home&utm_term=&utm_content=WBQEzX39%7cdc%7cpcrid%7c11558858354%7c pkw%7c%7cpmt%7cbe%7cproduct%7c5401932%7cslid%7c%7c pgrid%7c3970769428%7cptaid%7cpla-1101002863359%7c&msclkid=47eff058aa04175ef64e917dfa53341d#idiq=5401 932&edition=2307025

Weight is your friend. I have a ~60 old Delta that came out of a school on the northside of Detroit. I'm lucky, my shop is 24'x32' so I have the room to leave things in one place. Consequently it is where my shot for the shotgun is stored(25+ bags) other lead ingots and other assorted and sundry chunks of steel. Probably a half ton or more in total.

Really dampens the vibration.

Good luck, my house is filled with turnings, they get given away to friends and family. To random bartenders and barmaids. It's almost as addicting as reloading and casting. And I'm sure that I will save enough on decorations/kitchen tools/bowls that my wife won't buy to pay for it all.

Don't buy "turning" stock. You can find a lot of good turning stock in pallets. I picked up a dozen plus pallets at a steel processing plant a couple of years ago. There was a mix of clear cherry, hard maple, beech and oak 3"x3"x24" turning squares cut out of it. What wasn't good for turning blocks went to the nephew for his smoker. He really, really likes the cherry.

Have I rambled enough?

Have fun.

abunaitoo
08-31-2021, 05:06 PM
Wish I had the talent to not need a duplicator.
Maybe in the future.

It did come today.
It looks good.
Lots of things going on right now, so not sure when I'll get to using it.

abunaitoo
08-31-2021, 05:45 PM
The book sound like a good idea.
There are now three editions.
Which would you suggest????

15meter
08-31-2021, 09:58 PM
The book sound like a good idea.
There are now three editions.
Which would you suggest????

I think I had the first edition, got it from the local library (another place to look for woodturning books).

With that said, this hobby has changed so much over the last 20 years, there should have been newer techniques and tools that he would include in later editions. Carbide tools for one, changes in the grinding wheels, mounting tools. 4 jaw self-centering chucks.

If you're a hardware junkie, you can spend an incredible amount of money on this hobby, but it's more fun than watching the vidiot box.

abunaitoo
09-01-2021, 02:56 AM
I like fixing stuff.
But getting old, so body can't do as much as before.

country gent
09-01-2021, 07:48 AM
Be sure and get and apron that fits good there will be wood chips everywhere

abunaitoo
09-09-2021, 05:36 PM
Ordered the book.
Newest edition.

Duckiller
09-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Don't use the duplicator. Rip a 2x4 into sections about the length of handles. Start practicing. In no time at all you will be making great handles. Maybe selling them to people here. Good luck.

15meter
09-10-2021, 11:13 PM
There's a guy in swapping and selling with a WTB for a mold handle.

Your first customer[smilie=w:

JimB..
09-11-2021, 12:16 AM
We have a store called Woodcraft that has, or at least had, a lending library for woodworking DVDs. You may have one.