PDA

View Full Version : seating depth for 45-70

tedloehrke
08-18-2021, 05:47 PM
Hi All, fairly new here. Shooting in cast bullet league at 200yds and having a blast. Shooting an H&R Buffalo Classic. Am wondering if seating depth will affect accuracy on this rifle as it does on my f class rifle and if so what is a good way to find the rifling on these break open single shot rifles?

RickinTN
08-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Start with your bullet seated long and gradually seat deeper until the bullet is just "kissing" the lands.
Rick

Harter66
08-19-2021, 12:54 AM
One might suggest a chamber or pound cast also .

ohen cepel
08-19-2021, 07:13 AM
Watch to make sure you don't have any Hornady Leverelution brass in your reload stock as it is not the standard length for brass.

I would go with the suggestions above.

country gent
08-19-2021, 08:07 AM
I sacrifice a sized case.
Take a 45-70 case and size it so it fits the rifle full length is good.
color the case neck with a magic marker from mouth down to half way on body all around
Lay out a straight line down 7/8" then a 3/8" square using the line as one leg
carefully cut the line and square out with a dremal tool and .030 cut off wheel and deburr well
Lightly squeeze the front section to hold bullet snugly.

To use hand seat the bullet in a case long chamber and close firearm, this pushes the bullet to depth in the collet.
o[em firearm up staying short of the extractor kicking. and push out with a cleaning rod.

Pinch collet portion snug and measure. The open square will allow the base location to be seen measured to help figure a black powder charge

Once you make the case up you can reuse it forever with different bullets

Kraschenbirn
08-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Neat idea...will make one next time I'm tinkering with a new boolit for my .45-70s.

Bill