PDA

View Full Version : Grey Fox sighting near downtown Navasota, TX

Butzbach
08-17-2021, 07:07 PM
A Grey Fox bolted across the road about 15 yards in front of my bicycle this morning. I was about 2 miles South of downtown Navasota, TX. Its tail while long was skinny like a mountain lion. After scouting some pictures on the web I guess this is fairly typical. They have a black dorsal stripe that makes it look even skinnier. Descriptions say it has a more "catlike" face than other foxes and I can testify. Between that and the tail I wasn't really sure what I was looking at. It was long and lean and a joy to see it moving fast. I scanned the next few houses I passed to see if there were any chicken coops. I didn't see any. It was surprising to see a fox out in daylight. About a mile mile later I saw a Cooper's hawk hunting a dove. The dove won today. Quite the Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom nature ride today.

ElPistolero
08-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Excellent!
I have one that passes through my back yard (about 40 miles NNW of you). Similarly skinny and, in fact, I thought it was a stray cat the first time or two I saw it. One time, there was a roadrunner between me and the fox as I stepped out of the house; the bird sided with escaping closer to me than to the fox. :) :)

Butzbach
08-17-2021, 07:30 PM
Excellent!
I have one that passes through my back yard (about 40 miles NNW of you). Similarly skinny and, in fact, I thought it was a stray cat the first time or two I saw it. One time, there was a roadrunner between me and the fox as I stepped out of the house; the bird sided with escaping closer to me than to the fox. :) :)

Saw my first Road Runner in a long time about a month ago in a subdivision just South of College Station. I hadn’t seen one since Fort Sill, OK in 1980.

ElPistolero
08-17-2021, 07:44 PM
Saw my first Road Runner in a long time about a month ago in a subdivision just South of College Station. I hadn’t seen one since Fort Sill, OK in 1980.

Well, ... (got to watch my Texianisms or superman will get me) ... we have roadrunners all over the place here for the last 20 years ... many nesting pairs ... they barely even run from me or the wife as we go about our dailies. Some years are a few, most years are about 4 pairs.
We had red foxes a few years back, but not recently.
Plenty of owls and hawks, every year or two a pair of Mexican eagles. A few armadillos, most of which I convert to ashtrays with a favourite .44mag load. We feed the cardinals, finches, (oops, almost typed a forbidden)-mouses, chickadees, and hummbirds.

wv109323
08-17-2021, 07:48 PM
We have two that come down to visit nearly every night. We feed them popcorn. We can actually call them down with food. The gray fox is in the feline group and the red fox is in the canine group.

Buck Shot
08-17-2021, 08:06 PM
They climb trees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCFnQJkfxU

Here in Virginia, we have a male that seems almost tame. I saw him trotting along in a field maybe 15' off the road, and I stopped my truck and looked at him from maybe 15-20' away and he just looked at me as if to say "You wanna piece of me???" and went on his merry way, parallel to the road, lifting his leg to mark his territory. At the time, I figured he must have had rabies or otherwise be sick, but then I saw him again (or another tame one?) maybe a month later, and then again a month or two after that. Very strange that he shows no fear of men. Normally you never see them, or just get a glimpse.

I always think they're red foxes when I first see them, since they have so much red in their fur, but then you see the darker guard hairs...

Somewhere I heard that their boom-and-bust cycles follow the rabbits' boom-and-bust cycles, which (like the sunspot cycle) is apparently 11 years.

Winger Ed.
08-17-2021, 08:13 PM
Foxes have made quite a comeback.

Before we moved here, I'd only seen 3 my whole life.
One crossed the road near the Lewisville fishing barge around 1970.
I saw a dead one in Grand Prarie in the late 80s.
And one going by in the Hill Country just before dark in the 90s when I was deer hunting.

Here, we have a couple of mated pairs- one pair on the property next door, and they've made new ones for the last 3 years.

Thumbcocker
08-17-2021, 08:26 PM
We have two that come down to visit nearly every night. We feed them popcorn. We can actually call them down with food. The gray fox is in the feline group and the red fox is in the canine group.Both are canines.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

popper
08-17-2021, 08:39 PM
Lewisville fishing barge around 1970 Didn't it disappear shortly after that? Used to be one on Lavon too.

Texas by God
08-17-2021, 09:41 PM
I've seen more foxes and bobcats in Westover Hills Ft Worth than I have on the place.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

jsizemore
08-18-2021, 02:00 AM
We have plenty of red and grey that runs the river bordering the property. They seem to breed across their lines. We call the ones with a white tip red. The real distinction is the greys have a rotating forearm so can climb which makes folks think they are from the cat family. They aren't.

They are smart predators but are also prey so they switch up their patterns. Scout one day, hunt the next. Move on to the next area. Folks that put out food disrupts that. Less energy expended hunting when folks put food out for them.

I was in town discussing rabies and wild critters to a lady when a grey crossed the street at close to noon one day. I had her call animal control while I followed it. Eventually animal control caught it, checked it and it was rabid. It appeared to be healthy but was in the earliest stages of rabies.

Winger Ed.
08-18-2021, 03:34 AM
Lewisville fishing barge around 1970 Didn't it disappear shortly after that? Used to be one on Lavon too.

They've had problems over the years, and the last time I was fishing on it,,,
maybe 10 years ago, it was there and operational, but really, really showing its age.

I think the one on Lavon is long gone.

Butzbach
08-18-2021, 04:22 AM
We have plenty of red and grey that runs the river bordering the property. They seem to breed across their lines. We call the ones with a white tip red. The real distinction is the greys have a rotating forearm so can climb which makes folks think they are from the cat family. They aren't.

They are smart predators but are also prey so they switch up their patterns. Scout one day, hunt the next. Move on to the next area. Folks that put out food disrupts that. Less energy expended hunting when folks put food out for them.

I was in town discussing rabies and wild critters to a lady when a grey crossed the street at close to noon one day. I had her call animal control while I followed it. Eventually animal control caught it, checked it and it was rabid. It appeared to be healthy but was in the earliest stages of rabies.

I was thinking "rabies" about this one too as it was about 10:00 AM.

pworley1
08-18-2021, 06:42 AM
We have a Red Fox that dens on the east side of our property and a Grey Fox that dens on the west side. We see the Red Fox much more often than the Grey.

contender1
08-18-2021, 09:22 AM
Nice to enjoy seeing any wildlife.

But just because one is spotted out in daylight, does NOT mean it automatically has rabies. In fact,, foxes are often spotted during daylight in places near dens or other places they feel comfortable.

Butzbach
08-18-2021, 10:31 AM
Nice to enjoy seeing any wildlife.

But just because one is spotted out in daylight, does NOT mean it automatically has rabies. In fact,, foxes are often spotted during daylight in places near dens or other places they feel comfortable.

Thank you Captain Obvious!

jsizemore
08-18-2021, 04:52 PM
I was thinking "rabies" about this one too as it was about 10:00 AM.

Fox is usually fairly purposeful in his/her direction. Like somebody on a schedule to be somewhere. This one would stop and gaze around with the 1000yard stare then trot in a circle and head out in a random direction not always the original direction. I've seen healthy animals show up like clockwork when the horses would get their winter sweet feed. They'd sit and wait for the horses to move off and check for stray feed in or around the feed bowl. Before the spring grass would sprout and the bugs show up, they will dig through the horse droppings in the pasture looking for undigested grain and bugs along with the crows.

We do have a problem along the river with rabies in fox and coon.

Burnt Fingers
08-19-2021, 02:30 PM
We've got a pair living out back in the jungle.

We don't see them often though.

David2011
08-19-2021, 05:04 PM
The only gray fox I’ve ever seen was in the middle of the street in front of the courthouse in Brownfield, TX. It appeared healthy and without a care in the world.

echo154
08-19-2021, 05:30 PM
I was lucky enough to have one use the driveway culvert as a den. I come home from work and sit out front as the sun started up a watch her bring in food while I drank coffee. later the younguns started coming out for short periods. Then one day they were all gone. Coyotes are everywhere, even in town as are deer (people put out feed.....gee wonder how blue toungue and lip curl spread). Saw a young bobcat roadkill.....she was in otherwise good shape.....good coat, teeth and fur. First one I saw for at least 40 years. Never seen a grey fox, just the local red ones. At my grandad's house he had tame squirrels. Mostly red, but then an albino. Later he had a dark black squirrel. Turkey are fairly plush around here too. Nice to see some remnants of better times!

BJK
08-19-2021, 11:30 PM
I've never seen a grey fox. I should probably duck duck go it, but I doubt they're in Maine. I'd love to see one.

Butzbach
08-20-2021, 01:18 AM
I've never seen a grey fox. I should probably duck duck go it, but I doubt they're in Maine. I'd love to see one.

They’re quite different from a red fox. I used to frequent a fox rescue page on FacePlant before I dumped it. She had 20 plus foxes and none of them looked like a grey fox although some of hers were similar in color. As others have mentioned here, the greys hit you as feline in appearance even though they are not.

jsizemore
08-20-2021, 01:51 AM
Fella and his wife across the river used to feed a vixen dog food when she was denning under one of their outbuildings. She had quite a litter. The kits eventually fed from the offered food. Rabies showed up and the wife was bit. The whole dog food dependent litter had to be destroyed and the wife received treatment. Well intended, but.......

beezapilot
08-21-2021, 01:37 PM
Gray fox do indeed climb trees, made them boring to hunt from horseback as they would just sit in a tree and stare at you. So the English imported the Red Fox for hunting sport back in the day.

444ttd
08-21-2021, 01:54 PM
my brother traps red and grey foxes and coyotes, so to me, they are no big deal. bobcats and fishers are rare, but they are here in PA.

chuckbuster
08-23-2021, 06:06 AM
Have at least one around my place between Gatesville and Killeen. Shows up on the cameras pretty regular.

Mal Paso
08-23-2021, 10:27 AM
A fox left a present right in front of my entry door the night before last. No picture this time as little extra effort was taken like last time when he did it on top of one of the landscape rocks.