PDA

View Full Version : I scored big time, at least for my needs

JoeJames
08-16-2021, 03:58 PM
Called the local tire shop where I had gotten a bucket of ww's last year. "Sure, come on down". Wide mouth 5 gallon bucket of WW's is now sitting in the back of truck - overflowing. I slid it over to the passenger side of my truck bed to give some balance to my truck. Cursory look indicates they are still using mostly lead ww's.

Stopsign32v
08-16-2021, 04:23 PM
That is very awesome news! Jealous

Winger Ed.
08-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Way cool.

Usually it only takes a case of beer, or bring Lunch to keep their loyalty so nobody cuts in on your action.

Years ago, I'd done that with my tire guy.
He'd given my at least 300 pounds of old school WW about mid-December.
A few days later, I brought him a bottle of Crown Royal in the purple bag.

The next year, around mid-December, he called me up and asked if I wanted more WWs.
I went and picked up 6, five gallon buckets over flowing with the old school WWs.
(He got 2 bottles of Crown Royal that year).

charlie b
08-16-2021, 04:46 PM
I haven't seen more than 5lb of lead wheel weights in any of the shops around here.

JoeJames
08-16-2021, 05:43 PM
Last year the owner and I were talking guns. He said he had a S&W 629 but it was kind of brutal to shoot. I took him most of a box of HSM 44 Special Cowboy loads which were not accurate at all in my Henry BB, and not real good in my Ruger 44 Special BH. Didn't hurt nothing as far as the new bucket was concerned.

lightman
08-16-2021, 08:19 PM
Thats a nice score! Hopefully most of them will be lead. My local shop saves weights for me but the % of lead weights is gradually slipping. My last bucket was probably 60% or slightly less. The good news is that Zinc seems to be going away in favor of steel.

lar45
08-17-2021, 08:16 AM
5 gal buckets of WW around here go for $40-80. The last bucket I got was maybe 25% lead with the rest being zinc or steel.

JoeJames
08-17-2021, 09:29 AM
That thing was heavy. Must have been larger than a standard 5 gallon bucket; wider anyhow. Maybe 200 pounds? Backed my pickup to the edge of the old concrete ramp at the old garage to where it was about 2 1/2 feet from tail gate to ramp. Slid it over to edge of tail gate, and kindly had a controlled free fall to ramp, wearing my work gloves and keeping my feet wide apart. Then duck walked it over to edge of the garage. Got home then, and took 2 aspirins when my wife was not looking. My lower back is a bit stiff, "No sudden moves for old Joe". I will be nursing it for a spell. Older physically than mentally I reckon. Eh?

But most look like real good fresh lead clip on wheel weights; not steel or zinc.

Soundguy
08-17-2021, 10:26 AM
super jealous.. no ww scrap here in florida..

rcslotcar
08-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Great score!!

45-70 Chevroner
08-17-2021, 03:48 PM
I drove delivery trucks for Chevron "Standard Oil Co. of Calif. Total of 33 years. 29 years in Phoenix AZ. I got into casting during those years in Phx. The Chevron Stations keep me in tire weights all those years, at times I had as many as 30 buckets of tire weights in my small Barn. At that point I would take as many as 10 buckets to the scrap yard and sell them. I would always wait until the price was around 15 to 20 cents a pound. When the price would drop to 5 cents or so. It wasn't worth driving to town for. I used the money to buy reloading and casting equipment. When I retired from Chevroner I still had 15 buckets left. I am still using that lead today.

Tazza
08-18-2021, 05:21 AM
I have been fortunate enough to get hold of a lot of range scrap over the last few years. I have a whole lot of ingots stacked on pallets waiting for me to blend and cast into round things. With what i paid for the scrap, less the wastage, it would cost about $1/kg for cleaned ingots.

pworley1
08-18-2021, 06:23 AM
Congratulations!

gwpercle
08-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Local Tire shop workers are your freinds ...Good Score !

One way to have them remember you is not to forget them at Christmas ...or whatever holiday you choose .
Whenever I went to pick up wheel weights I would bring Cold Beer with me ... near closing time and sit and visit ... make sure to leave any leftover refreshments for them to bring home .
Other times it was jars of homemade jams and jellies for them ...
To be honest ... anything good to eat or drink is always enjoyable and they will remember you for the kindness .
On a hot summer day ... a cold watermelon is a nice treat !
Gary

oley55
08-18-2021, 12:49 PM
That thing was heavy. Must have been larger than a standard 5 gallon bucket; wider anyhow. Maybe 200 pounds? Backed my pickup to the edge of the old concrete ramp at the old garage to where it was about 2 1/2 feet from tail gate to ramp. Slid it over to edge of tail gate, and kindly had a controlled free fall to ramp, wearing my work gloves and keeping my feet wide apart. Then duck walked it over to edge of the garage. Got home then, and took 2 aspirins when my wife was not looking. My lower back is a bit stiff, "No sudden moves for old Joe". I will be nursing it for a spell. Older physically than mentally I reckon. Eh?

But most look like real good fresh lead clip on wheel weights; not steel or zinc.

Congrats on your score!

I take two or three empty buckets, a two wheeled hand truck and a flat shovel with me when I visit my favored tire shop. I wheel their bucket to a location out of the shop, dump the contents on the pavement, place my empty buckets in the truck and then shovel the weights into them. It's a bit more handling, but way better than risking a life long back injury.

Geezer in NH
08-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Pizza for all at my car sales, repair and tire shop. I bring 4 pizza's twice a year or more and get all the wheel weights they have. They even load them into the back of my truck.

Jim22
08-18-2021, 10:29 PM
FWIW I remember a lady who wanted a post office box. The postal workers told her there was a two year waiting list. She started bringing them plates of home made cookies. Did it every week. She got a post office box in less than 90 days. FWIW. Sometimes lubrication comes in different forms.

Jim

Tazza
08-18-2021, 11:21 PM
FWIW I remember a lady who wanted a post office box. The postal workers told her there was a two year waiting list. She started bringing them plates of home made cookies. Did it every week. She got a post office box in less than 90 days. FWIW. Sometimes lubrication comes in different forms.

Jim

Bribery will get you everywhere, alcohol is worth more than money to most mechanics or tradies.

lar45
08-20-2021, 02:09 PM
Older physically than mentally I reckon. Eh?

I hear that. I say it's the Mileage more than the years...

lightman
08-20-2021, 05:45 PM
I hear that. I say it's the Mileage more than the years...

Yeah, the miles and hours add up, for sure. To be young again and know what I know now!!!

onelight
08-21-2021, 08:33 AM
Yeah, the miles and hours add up, for sure. To be young again and know what I know now!!!
Ain't that the truth :)

JoeJames
08-21-2021, 10:16 AM
Ain't that the truth :)Sometimes I am a rather slow learner - as in not near as young as I think I am. But my back is doing a lot better.

Anyhow, I have been thinking about what y'all said about now getting just a small percentage of lead wheel weights as opposed to a high percentage. The local tire shop I get ww's from is primarily for farm trucks, not high end fancy sedans. In other words - truck wheel weights. I reckon I was lucky on picking that tire shop. Just an idea for y'all.

onelight
08-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Sometimes I am a rather slow learner - as in not near as young as I think I am. But my back is doing a lot better.

Anyhow, I have been thinking about what y'all said about now getting just a small percentage of lead wheel weights as opposed to a high percentage. The local tire shop I get ww's from is primarily for farm trucks, not high end fancy sedans. In other words - truck wheel weights. I reckon I was lucky on picking that tire shop. Just an idea for y'all.
Thanks I know where a shop like that is :)