PDA

View Full Version : Mas 49/56

Moe
01-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Folks,
Several years ago I bought a MAS 49/56 from SOG. The rifle was either arsenal new or a rebuild - excellent shape. It is chambered in 7.5mm French and I'm having problems with it extracting and ejecting the fired cartridge. I've really cleaned the chamber and when I do get the brass out there are no indications of damage. The ammo is mil spec that I bought on line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Moe

Bret4207
01-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm not familiar with those rifles, but is it possible there is gunk and dried grease blocking the extractor/ejector?

Freightman
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
As Bret said take it down and clean everything, I never shot any surplus ammo in it as it was all Searian and not very dependable. I reloaded or shot Privi Partazan in it which is reloadable. That is one of the rifles I wish I had not traded as it shot great and easy to load for as I used starting .308 loads. It operated better with a fairly stiff load, and it was a 7.5 French. To make the trigger excelent all you have to do is take one side of the trigger spring off makes it light and crisp and hurts nothing. It will shoot cast.
Almost forgot get long pipe cleaners from Hobbie Lobbie of craft store and clean the gas system also you might need to dis assemble it to get the crud out got to gunboards.com to the French section and search for how to do it.
DO NOT use soft primmers as it will empty a mag in a second use CCI #34, and do not run live ammo through it to ck function as it may slam fire.

jonk
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Tell me, does the bolt open and jump the rim? Can you not manually rack the round out?

If so I'd say a bad extractor or spring.

On the other hand if you CAN remove the round but the action isn't moving then I'd say a blocked gas system.

primersp
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
hello
is the grenade launch system is engage ?
it's blocking the gas operator and no semi auto opérations
regards

Moe
01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Folks,
Thanks for all the suggestions - I will thouroughly clean it this weekend. It does extract manually after it's fired so am thinking the gas system just really needs a good cleaning.
Moe

PS - The grenade launcher is positioned correctly.

twotoescharlie
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I have one of these and it ejects brass with authority,hard to keep up with it.

TTC

wolfspotter
01-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Mine is converted to 308 and did the same thing. It came with a spare extractor, works like a charm now. Bought another spare on Egay.

primersp
01-10-2009, 02:29 AM
MOE
you hare lucky ,i'm happy if i can find one here
enjoy with it
clean the gas tube ,they were store with much grease or very sticky oil
good luck