PDA

View Full Version : I've been a bad boy!

buck1
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
After much self struggle, I decided to sporterize my Lee Enfield 303 #1mk4.
I know, I know, BAD BUBBA!
But thats why I bought it to begin with.
It was no pristeen pice to begin with but it has a good 5 grove, bright, bore.
I have no lathe nor local gunsmith sooooo, I did most of the work myself.
I wanted the bbl shorter in the worst way ,to get rid of the mil front sight set up and I wanted a carbinish bbl length. I cut the barrel off with a hacksaw, filed it flat, slightly smoothed the corner and crowned it with a large grinding ball. I then finished all the cuts with 3M wet or dry paper.It sounds crude but I swear you cant tell it from a factory job. Next I found a used bishop stock on ebone, I cut it to my LOP, floated all but the first 2.5" and last 1/2" of bbl, and refinished it, added a GOOD rubber recoil pad and a Hubber trigger and made a trigger stop. Then I added a ATI scope mt that I customized for fit and shortened it to allow easy acess to the shell bed. I then cut the mag down and shortened the spring to allow a flush mounted mag. Some carefully applied cold blue to touch up my bbl work,the mag, and some rub spots, and I was loading up some shells.

Well I just knew I had trashed this poor rifle.
But It looks great and if it shot I would be very happy. I read in my Speer manual that they had good luck with the 125 gr 7.62X39 bullets.
So I decided to start there, neck sized brass, 125 gr sierras, rem mag primers and BLC2 powder.
Well I finaly got to make a trip to the range for some testing.
At 50 yards ALL test loads ran from 3/8"- 3/4" ctc. with most being about 1/2" .
WHEWWW!! I was scared, but I think I managed to give this old honered vet a usefull new lease on life as a valued happy hunter enjoying its retirement as a qulified hunter.
I wish I had my camera but as of yet Its unavailable...........Buck

Hardcast416taylor
01-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Buck1 What is a Hubber trigger? Is the re-worked mag detachable or welded in place as a floorplate. You ought to be ashamed you don`t have a camera, I would LOVE to see what the "smely" looks like. Good job though with all that you did. :mrgreen: Robert

buck1
01-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I stole the mag idea from ATR! Its detatchable but looks like a box magazine!
Heres the link to the trigger, I was told about it by another member here and its great!
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=618464
I spelled it wrong its HUBER.
I do have a camera but the wifes got it right now I will post some picks this weekend. Thanks.....Buck

Hardcast416taylor
01-09-2009, 02:36 AM
I had heard midway was listing a trigger for the enfield. I didn`t realise they cost that much and to have to wait 60+ days for special order status? I have 2 #4`s and 1 #3 that are still miltary dressed. I keep trying to talk a friend out of his #5 jungle carbine. He says when he dies I can have it, small chance in other words. [smilie=1: Robert

EMC45
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
We really can't believe you without pictures.[smilie=1:

buck1
01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
""I didn`t realise they cost that much and to have to wait 60+ days for special order status? ""

I got lucky 2 weeks ago they had it in stock on clearence sale for $48.00 !!

atr
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
way to go for it Buck1 !!!!
now...what kind of boolit are you going to shoot ?

KCSO
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Aw, admit it, you own a hacksaw and a horse shoe rasp and the whole job took 10 minutes.

You know Parker Hale made a ton of these and sold them for about the same as a new sporting rifle in the 50's so you are in good company. Al Linden and James Howe started out this way too.