PDA

View Full Version : Sixguns by Elmer Keith: Different versions?

Stopsign32v
08-14-2021, 10:33 AM
I really apologize for putting this thread here, I didn't know where else it would go better.

I'm looking at getting one of his books but I see different versions for sale. One is the 1961 edition and some are just different versions altogether. Can someone tell me the differences?

Bigslug
08-14-2021, 01:45 PM
Found one Amazon review comparing the current to older editions saying the picture quality in the earlier was better. Beyond that I can't say.

I read the current version a few years back and would say it's something you need to have. It's a FANTASTIC look at 1955; while much of what's in there is somewhat dated, there is still much wisdom to be found there.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-14-2021, 03:12 PM
When I was much younger I borrowed and read the book. In a general way I found it very interesting, but did not have the guns or money to do much with Elmer's observations and conclusions. I figured a copy would eventually come my way, but I only got mine about 5 years ago. I knew that there had been some changes, but how could that be a bad thing, since updated information and elimination of any mistakes is always a good thing. So, you have to approach this from one of two angles:
(1) Are you a collector who wants an original copy or very early reprint, very expensive, or (2) do you want the most current version with any updates that occurred. The original and early copies are quite expensive, so I went with one published in 2016 by Echo Point Books & Media (the original was 1955). It has this Publisher Warning: "Given changes in gun technology since the work was originally published, some suggestions in the following pages may no longer be relevant or safe. Reader assumes full responsibility for any actual loading or firing of firearms."

Green Frog
08-14-2021, 03:42 PM
There is a paperback version of the early addition that looks like the pages were copied with a low grade photocopier. The print quality is poor and the photo quality reminds me of an old B&W television image on a stormy night. The one I got has a dark brown cover.

Froggie

El Bibliotecario
08-14-2021, 04:58 PM
I was going to remark that different editions should have different ISBN numbers, but when I looked at the copy I obtained in 1972, discovered it had none. So much for that bright idea.

Sixguns is highly entertaining, but I would not recommend it as a practical guide, in that too many things have changed over the years. I also wonder if the rationale for newer editions is to edit that which by todays' standards might be considered politically incorrect. My edition has a number of anecdotes which by the standards of Keith's era were amusing but today could be considered raciest.

PositiveCaster
08-14-2021, 05:01 PM
The images in my digital version are as good (or better) then the ones in my hard copy. The digital text is perfect - it’s not a photocopy.

ofreen
08-14-2021, 06:10 PM
I bought my copy in 1973 or 1974. It has the supplement that refers to new cartridge developments 44 Mag, .22 Jet, 256 Win, etc), and new guns (Super Blackhawk, Colt Trooper among others). Here are pix of the dust jacket, cover and copyright page. I remember when I got it I had the option to get an autographed copy. I passed, probably because it was more money. I still see this version at guns shows quite a bit.

gwpercle
08-14-2021, 07:59 PM
If you have an interest in sixguns and reloading ... Get It .
There is a lot of history in the book and there is a lot of misinformation floating around the interweb .
You can read exactly what he said about what and in the context it was said .
The times he lived in dictated some of the things he did ... reading why he liked a single wide flat bottomed lube groove and looking at the lube recipe's he used tells a lot .
It's a good read and a lot is still applicable in todays world .
While you are ordering pick up the reprint of his 1936 book " Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" runs about $12.00 and is devoted to casting boolits and reloading ammo . Again ...more historical but the casting , sizing and lubing of boolits is helpful . His section on alloy , tin/lead ratio's are helpful if you can't get wheel weights ... Evidently Elmer had only tin and lead to cast with ... no wheel weights or printers type ... and that info is good to know . So is chapter on sizing boolits .

My " Sixguns" book is the 73-74 hardcover version (appears to be first edition ?) like ofreen's , post #7 . I'm not sure about other editions , when they were done or the quality .
Just get whatever edition you can afford ...the reloading book is hardcover and good quality and worth every cent of the $12.00 cost (Amazon) .
Gary

.45colt
08-14-2021, 08:20 PM
I bought my copy in 1972. and You can't have it.....................

bisleyfan41
08-14-2021, 09:12 PM
1955 version was pre-44 mag and thus includes no info on it. The 1961 reprint contains all the original 1955 edition content plus an additional section on the 44 mag.

dale2242
08-15-2021, 08:39 AM
I have 2 hard copies of "Sixguns".
One I bought for $2 at the H&G estate sale in Murphy ,Or near where I live.
When I opened it up I saw that Elmer had autographed it to H&G.
What a treasure.

carelesslove
08-17-2021, 11:41 AM
carelesslove, here !

I - too - have 2 hard copies of SIXGUNS, by Keith - with one autographed by Elmer on September 18, 1973 - book and jacket in excellent condition.

It feels like a piece of history.

Green Frog
08-17-2021, 12:03 PM
I bought my copy in 1973 or 1974. It has the supplement that refers to new cartridge developments 44 Mag, .22 Jet, 256 Win, etc), and new guns (Super Blackhawk, Colt Trooper among others). Here are pix of the dust jacket, cover and copyright page. I remember when I got it I had the option to get an autographed copy. I passed, probably because it was more money. I still see this version at guns shows quite a bit.

I found a copy of this vintage when I was in Richmond, VA back about ‘77. There was this little book store on West Broad that was so old and so crammed full of books it’s a marvel it didn’t just collapse from its own weight. They had just about every kind of book one could ask for, and I spent more of my meager grad student income than I should have in there. I miss that place! :-?
I think the book is still in storage at my old house. I’ll have to try and find it next time I venture over there. :idea:

Froggie

gunther
08-17-2021, 12:50 PM
AS Gary noted in post 8, Elmer stuck to a 16/1 lead/tin alloy. I wonder if there are any of his shooting buddies or relatives still living who would know where he got onto that alloy.

MT Gianni
08-19-2021, 08:52 PM
Elmer grew up in Winston, MT about 20 miles from Helena. He passed through E Helena on the way to town. In E Helena was one of the largest lead smelters in the US during those years. i am sure that some would fall off a wagon or train car for a young kid. 1 in 10 was hard and 1 in 20 was a common soft alloy from the Schutzen crowd. I recall something from "Hell, I was there" about it being a common alloy at the time, nothing he came up with.