PDA

View Full Version : I love quality tools!

Idaho45guy
08-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Dealer is now wanting $106 to do an oil change on my 2019 4Runner, so I decided to do it myself. I heard they were a pain, so watched some videos on it.

You have to remove a skid plate, then another access plate, then it has a cartridge filter and not a regular spin on oil filter.

One of the mechanics in the video said that you need a good quality cartridge removal tool, especially if you've been letting the dealer do the oil changes for you, since they probably over-tightened everything.

He recommended a specific tool by Motiv that was great quality, American made, and only $25. Chinese junk ones were $12. So I sprung for the American-made tool.

Wow! It really is a nice tool. Usually I go cheap and get something that will just work. But every time I spring for something higher quality, I never regret it.

StuBach
08-14-2021, 10:32 AM
When you buy good quality you have it for life. When you buy crap you keep replacing it for life. Grandpa drilled that into my dad and into us grandkids. Hence why I still have his Craftsman 150 drill press, Dad still has grandpas table saw and jointer, and all his reloading presses (Star and PW) are still serving me well more than half a century later.

Thanks for the reminder to stay away from Cheap china stuff for tools I want to see a lot of use.

drizler
08-14-2021, 10:36 AM
Seriously though that type is made for all day long for years use as in a shop. I found out 40+ years back that good enough really is just that for casual use. Things like hammering and beating make all the difference as does that little known[emoji78] substance called NEVER SEIZE and it’s counterpart PENETRATING OIL ( the best really is old ATF mixed with acetone). Put that on the rusty bolts and after that they will always be decent coming off .
Top 2 stash those lousy 12 point sockets and use only 6 points to the extent possible. No more rounded off heads especially with penetrant on them for a week or so if it’s under the car rust belt work. Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yovinny
08-14-2021, 11:40 AM
Thats the V6 engine ?.. sounds like a PITA..
When did they relocate the oil filter from right up front and on top ?

KCSO
08-14-2021, 11:53 AM
I have some Blackhawk tools (forerunner of Snap on) that my grandfather bought in the 1920 and they are still working just fine. Same for my 1934 South Bend lathe. Quality is for the long run.

imashooter2
08-14-2021, 12:03 PM
$106 sounds pretty reasonable considering the fine work the Toyota engineers did making a routine maintenance item inaccessible.

alamogunr
08-14-2021, 12:31 PM
I've got a 2013 Tundra and tried one time to access oil drain and filter. There is no way I would do that again. I take the Tundra and Avalon both back to the dealer. Toyota Genuine Motor Oil(TGMO) is very good oil. I take each vehicle in once a year, approximately.
$106 is not a bad price for all the work involved on the Tundra. I assume that the 4Runner is about the same.

Agree about tools. Don't necessarily agree about Blackhawk being ancestor of Snap On, but then I wasn't around in 1920. Blackhawk may be like Proto and the name was resurrected after being sold a long time ago.

I've got quite a few Proto tools that I've had for up to 50 years. I quit buying them when they were acquired by Stanley. Now when I google Proto, I find Proto, Blackhawk and Stanley. I suspect China made. A lot of old time tool makers are no longer available. I used to find Williams tools but not as common now but they are available.

None of this really matters now. At 79 I don't use wrenches very often and then not in a heavy duty application.

DocSavage
08-14-2021, 02:12 PM
If anyone is interested I put a Fumoto valve on my Subaru makes oil changes a whole lot easier. My dealership gets $90 for an oil change.

lightman
08-14-2021, 02:16 PM
I'm another that likes quality tools. Mechanics tools, Carpentry tools, Reloading tools --------- I like quality. They don't have to be Snap On but I search hard for "Made in America".

dverna
08-14-2021, 02:26 PM
It depends...

If I use something a lot...high quality
If I need to depend on it...high quality

I bought an oil change tool like the one above for $10. I will use it once or twice a year. Cannot see how I could break it. If I do, it is not a big deal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-14-2021, 02:41 PM
It's funny, back when I was working, my coworkers couldn't believe the old rusty tools I'd use for work, especially when I'd talk about spending $500 to $1K on S&W revolvers...they said I was crazy and I should be buying the expensive new tools like they did.
OF course they never looked at the vintage USA names on my old tools. Plus I'd have a duplicate set of Harbor Freight tools in a kit that I'd borrow to the Engineers when they needed some tools, cuz I didn't want them to misplace my patina'd vintage USA tools ;)

GOPHER SLAYER
08-14-2021, 03:27 PM
After WWII the Plumb tool company changed it's name to Proto. Short for professional tools. They were made in Paramount, California and they had an outlet store that sold seconds which had their name ground off because of some small defect. That was in the 1950s and I am still using some of those tools today.

Winger Ed.
08-14-2021, 04:37 PM
I learned a long time ago that cheap tools often don't 'fit' as well and the good stuff,
and with professional grade American ones-- you have less tendency of needing to buy them again.

starnbar
08-14-2021, 05:03 PM
I got SK Wayne tools that my dad had and I have turned them close to half a million times over 50 years they are still working like they should and when I am done they will be passed on to the third generation of gearheads in the family

BigboreShooter
08-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Never been disappointed going first class.Sometimes the best is less expensive in the long run!!

granville_it
08-14-2021, 05:36 PM
I like quality tools.

Mark

Armorer77
08-14-2021, 06:07 PM
I always buy the best quality that I can afford .

rockrat
08-14-2021, 06:07 PM
Don't think my vehicles have been to a dealer for an oil change in at least 10 years. Last time the dealer left off the access plate. Went back and was told they couldn't find the plate and was SOL. Told them THEY better find it or replace it. Parts guy said had to buy the whole plate under the car at $220. Told them I didn't care what it cost as they were going to buy it. Got a call a few days later to come in and get my access plate as they "found it" after all.

higgins
08-14-2021, 06:47 PM
Lucky me! Back in the spring my Toyota dealership charged 59.96 total including tax and the BS shop fees for an oil change on my '09 Tundra V8, using Toyota synthetic oil . I had a coupon for a few dollars off, but that's the price for anyone that walks in the door with a coupon; I don't know a guy in the shop, and I didn't even buy the truck there.

Idaho45guy
08-14-2021, 07:09 PM
$106 sounds pretty reasonable considering the fine work the Toyota engineers did making a routine maintenance item inaccessible.

You should see what it takes to check the air filter on my 2007 Chevy HHR. It's a 15 minute job and requires two different tools. Pretty much the whole vehicle is like that. Changing out the headlight assembly requires removing the entire front bumper assembly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlJdh3M8fs

Mk42gunner
08-14-2021, 10:04 PM
Realistically, I'm on the fence about buying high dollar quality tools.

If it is something I plan to use for a long time, I buy quality. Buy once, cry once.

If it something for a once in a lifetime job, lower cost rears its ugly head.

If it for a once in a lifetime job that can take a while, I may buy a genuine *** from Harbor Fright and hope the tool lasts out the job.

Then there is all the tools I have inherited over the years; some very good, some I wouldn't have spent money on in the first place. Some are better than I would have bought too.

I also like to make my own if I can.

Robert

samari46
08-14-2021, 11:56 PM
A lot of my hand tools are pushing 40 and still work even after all these years. Armstrong, Snap on, Older Sears Craftsman, Proto, Williams and probably some that I have forgotten about. One rolling tool chest in the garage with tool box on top. The tool chest is an old Kennedy. Did buy a complete set of Kobalt sockets and both metric and SAE wrenches and I keep that in the sun room next to the car port. That I use for stuff on both the Kubota tractor and bush hog (all metric) and a sears craftsman riding lawn mower. So have two complete sets of sae and metric plus a whole slew of assorted sae and metric in the garage. And have sae and metric sockets for my impact gun both standard and deep. Surprised the garage hasn't tilted with all that stuff. And one 25 gallon air compressor in the garage, and one Kobalt hot dog also in the sun room. Both get used. Just remember to open the drain on the bottom of the tanks and leave them open to prevent condensation causing rust in the tanks. I close them when starting of course. Frank

Butzbach
08-15-2021, 06:48 AM
Thats the V6 engine ?.. sounds like a PITA..
When did they relocate the oil filter from right up front and on top ?

I know the oil filter location change was about 2009 or 2010 on the FJ Cruiser. My 2008 has a spin off right in front on top. It’s possibly the feature I like best on the whole vehicle.

I’m about 30k miles into a Fumoto ball valve drain plug replacement. Works like a charm. Goodbye to rounding off the drain plug or fishing for it in a pan of drain oil.

Butzbach
08-15-2021, 06:52 AM
If anyone is interested I put a Fumoto valve on my Subaru makes oil changes a whole lot easier. My dealership gets $90 for an oil change.

I’m 30k miles on my Fumoto on my FJ Cruiser. Ain’t they Grand?

Butzbach
08-15-2021, 06:56 AM
Don't think my vehicles have been to a dealer for an oil change in at least 10 years. Last time the dealer left off the access plate. Went back and was told they couldn't find the plate and was SOL. Told them THEY better find it or replace it. Parts guy said had to buy the whole plate under the car at $220. Told them I didn't care what it cost as they were going to buy it. Got a call a few days later to come in and get my access plate as they "found it" after all.

I got tired of them not replacing the crush washer on my 2000 Tundra and then cranking the drain plug on so tight I couldn’t get it off.

ourflat
08-15-2021, 07:25 AM
So Harbor Frieght tools are out of the question? :kidding:

Frank:happy dance:

StuBach
08-15-2021, 07:52 AM
So Harbor Frieght tools are out of the question? :kidding:

Frank:happy dance:

I would argue that you buy the beat you can afford. If HF is best you can afford than go for it. When I first started reloading I didn’t have the money or audible tolerance for a vibration brass tumbler so I paid $50 for a HF rock tumbler, has served me well for 8 years and counting. I can afford much better now and sure there are better ones out there, but I’ll wait to upgrade when this one fails but till than no need.

bakerjw
08-15-2021, 08:12 AM
If any product that you look to buy says "Made in China" you are helping arm our enemy. I used to buy my granddaughter a lot of little things but all were Chinese junk. No more. Same with tools.

Scrounge
08-15-2021, 09:11 AM
I prefer quality tools. When I can afford them, that is what I buy. When I can't afford them, or when I'm not sure I'll use them a lot, I'll go with cheaper tools. I bought one of the Harbor Freight portaband saws several years ago, when I just absolutely couldn't afford a brand name saw. I was looking at doing a bunch of hacksawing otherwise. It was OK. It's been sitting around for a few years, unused, and then last week I needed it a bunch. And I keep having to reset the blade, which is popping out of the guides pretty regularly now. When I replace it, I'll be getting a Milwaukee, most likely. Settled on the Milwaukee brand for that saw as we got one at work, and I got to use it quite a bit. Nice! We also had a Dewalt cordless. Not terrible, but not so good as the corded Milwaukee. We had a lot of problems with the Dewalt cordless tools. They're pretty powerful, especially the newer brushless motor tools, but we kept have to replace them, and their expensive batteries. I've been using Ryobi cordless ONE+ tools at home for about 20 years or so. Like them better, but the newer green tools aren't as good as the older blue one. The LI batteries are a lot nicer than the old NiCad batteries, though. Gotta admit that the Ryobi tools at home don't get used as much as the Dewalt tools at work did. Ryobi makes a smaller cordless portaband, but I think the larger one is just the right size for most of what I want in such a saw.

I used to have a pretty good collection of Craftsman hand tools, wrenches, ratchets and sockets, etc. A bunch got stolen, and the new ones just don't work as well or last as long. I've got one "broken" Craftsman ratchet that the internal parts for the push-button socket release fell out an easy 30 years ago. It still works fine except that the socket can fall off. I kept putting off getting it replaced, and now they're not backing the original warranty, so it never will be replaced. Though I do pick up used Craftsman at yard sales and thrift shops when I can. I also have a Sears Companion 1/4" electric drill that I've had for at least 40 years. Still runs great, and I bought it used a long time ago, and it's traveled to Europe and SW Asia with me.

I have also developed a fondness for Pittsburgh wrenches, ratchets, and such. The HF brand has improved markedly over the past 20 or so years. When I taught my youngest child to do her own oil changes, I bought her a set of ratchets & sockets, and wrenches for her home tool kit. They work quite well, and cost about what I paid for my Craftsman set when I set out on my own, in 1974. When I was making the munificent wage of $326.10/month. Which is the year the USAF issued me a 200lb tool box full of Globemaster tools to work on the F-111D fighter jets I was assigned to work on. Anybody else here remember Globemaster tools? ;) Even with that crap in my tool box, I was able to keep "McNamara's Folly" running and flying. ;)

Bill

ourflat
08-15-2021, 09:22 AM
Yes, and who else here was in SAC?

Frank

contender1
08-15-2021, 09:29 AM
Not everybody can afford top quality tools or whatever when young & starting out.

But,, if at all possible,, I advise younger folks; "Buy once, cry once, & enjoy for a lifetime."

Of course,, many items USED to be made to last & serve us well. Sadly, not as common as it used to be. Tools for pro's usually cost more & will serve a person a lifetime. I learned LONG ago to buy the top quality stuff. Same goes for my reloading tools. WHen younger,, I started on a budget,, and bought Lyman over RCBS. I "upgraded" as I could over the years,, yet I still have many Lyman items I bought back in the 1970's. Dillon,, well, their "Lifetime NO BS" warranty,, top notch.

As the saying goes,, "You get what you pay for."

And as for normal maintenance on vehicles,, (oil changes, filter changes, bulb replacements, belt replacements, spark plug changes, etc,) the companies have PURPOSELY designed vehicles to where taking it to a dealer is darn near required,, so they can make more money. I've had a saying for over 35 years now,, (and it even pizzed off the owner of another Forum,) that goes like this;

"One of these days,, I'm gonna be in a social situation, and ask a guy what they do for a living. Then the silly SOB replies,, "I'm an automotive engineer." When the silly SOB wakes up in the hospital,, I'm gonna be there to show him what happened,,, AGAIN!!!!!!"

Auto companies do NOT want anybody to work on their vehicles,, EXCEPT "factory authorized dealerships!"

I recently bought a new truck. (Old one, 17 years, 348,000 miles,) and part of the dealership promise was to provide me with a 3rd spare key. I had to travel well outside my home area to get the truck I wanted, so normal service etc isn't available. (It's a 7 hour drive one way.) Well, they mailed me my spare key. BUT,,,,,, apparently,, it has to be programed. They failed to inform me of the detailed requirement that a DEALERSHIP has to do that. When my key arrived,, I had to go to a local dealership,, and was told; "Make an appointment, it'll take about 30 minutes, and costs $95 plus tax! FOR A KEY!!!!!
My purchasing dealership,, Tappahannok Chevrolet outside Roanoke Va REFUSES to work on helping me with this. I have a key blank,, that is WORTHLESS,, because they won't honor their commitment,, !
They say; "We provided you with a key as promised." It's NOT a key,, it's a key blank, and is not usable. Many attempts to fix this issue have been unsuccessful. Emails, phone calls, letters have all be sent,, yet,, they refuse to even discuss getting my local dealership to program the key, and work out something between themselves.
Car dealerships, & such,, will screw you over somehow, someway if at all possible. I swear they are all related to lawyers!

But back to tools.
Good tools,, quality stuff,,, is prized by those who know,,,!

jsizemore
08-15-2021, 09:46 AM
When you buy good quality you have it for life.

As long as you remember where you put it last!

Mal Paso
08-15-2021, 09:55 AM
My local lock smith does a lot of the Auto Dealers work behind the scenes. They can cut the key and have the scanners to program it to the car.

lksmith
08-15-2021, 10:19 AM
I've got a 2013 Tundra and tried one time to access oil drain and filter. There is no way I would do that again. I take the Tundra and Avalon both back to the dealer. Toyota Genuine Motor Oil(TGMO) is very good oil. I take each vehicle in once a year, approximately.
$106 is not a bad price for all the work involved on the Tundra. I assume that the 4Runner is about the same.

I have a 2012 tundra, and it really wasn't that bad the last time I changed the oil (also first time i changed it) Aside from taking off the skid plate it's pretty straight forward and give the price of the 0w-20 oil, $100 is not bad given that it takes 8qts.
I was REALLY concerned about the cartridge filter since the only other time I had dealt with a cartridge oil filter was on ATV's and Dirt bikes where getting it all lined back up without messing up the o-ring is a challenge.
Honestly, I like having the skid plate on my vehicles for more protection, especially since it usually makes accessing things easier once off than vehicles without one (like my 1995 geo tracker)

lksmith
08-15-2021, 10:25 AM
Not everybody can afford top quality tools or whatever when young & starting out.

But,, if at all possible,, I advise younger folks; "Buy once, cry once, & enjoy for a lifetime."

Of course,, many items USED to be made to last & serve us well. Sadly, not as common as it used to be. Tools for pro's usually cost more & will serve a person a lifetime. I learned LONG ago to buy the top quality stuff. Same goes for my reloading tools. WHen younger,, I started on a budget,, and bought Lyman over RCBS. I "upgraded" as I could over the years,, yet I still have many Lyman items I bought back in the 1970's. Dillon,, well, their "Lifetime NO BS" warranty,, top notch.

And as for normal maintenance on vehicles,, (oil changes, filter changes, bulb replacements, belt replacements, spark plug changes, etc,) the companies have PURPOSELY designed vehicles to where taking it to a dealer is darn near required,, so they can make more money. I've had a saying for over 35 years now,, (and it even pizzed off the owner of another Forum,) that goes like this;

"One of these days,, I'm gonna be in a social situation, and ask a guy what they do for a living. Then the silly SOB replies,, "I'm an automotive engineer." When the silly SOB wakes up in the hospital,, I'm gonna be there to show him what happened,,, AGAIN!!!!!!"

Auto companies do NOT want anybody to work on their vehicles,, EXCEPT "factory authorized dealerships!"

I recently bought a new truck. (Old one, 17 years, 348,000 miles,) and part of the dealership promise was to provide me with a 3rd spare key. I had to travel well outside my home area to get the truck I wanted, so normal service etc isn't available. (It's a 7 hour drive one way.) Well, they mailed me my spare key. BUT,,,,,, apparently,, it has to be programed. They failed to inform me of the detailed requirement that a DEALERSHIP has to do that. When my key arrived,, I had to go to a local dealership,, and was told; "Make an appointment, it'll take about 30 minutes, and costs $95 plus tax! FOR A KEY!!!!!
My purchasing dealership,, Tappahannok Chevrolet outside Roanoke Va REFUSES to work on helping me with this. I have a key blank,, that is WORTHLESS,, because they won't honor their commitment,, !
They say; "We provided you with a key as promised." It's NOT a key,, it's a key blank, and is not usable. Many attempts to fix this issue have been unsuccessful. Emails, phone calls, letters have all be sent,, yet,, they refuse to even discuss getting my local dealership to program the key, and work out something between themselves.
Car dealerships, & such,, will screw you over somehow, someway if at all possible. I swear they are all related to lawyers!

But back to tools.

my mechanic can program keys and doesn't charge me. (but then again, I give him a copy for each of my vehicles too)
I bought a 2003 honda pilot recently that only had 1 key and I wanted 2 spares. Cheapest place that would cut a key for it wanted $80 per key, plus $20 to program, but would "only charge one program fee for 2 keys if done at the same time".
Did some digging, got a cheap chinese key cutter that would do those keys (and most others) for $100, and bought the chip blanks for $5 each. so I was already $70 ahead if I only used it once. I love that thing! I have cut dozens of keys for things around the house and an extra door key for each of our vehicles (about $1-2 each without chip)

lksmith
08-15-2021, 10:31 AM
I have also developed a fondness for Pittsburgh wrenches, ratchets, and such. The HF brand has improved markedly over the past 20 or so years. When I taught my youngest child to do her own oil changes, I bought her a set of ratchets & sockets, and wrenches for her home tool kit.

Have you tried the vice grip type filter wrench they sell for about $3?
It was a life saver when changing the oil on my tracker. All the other tools I tried either slipped too much or were too big to fit to grab the filter, always had to drive a screwdriver through the filter several times and hope that the filter didn't tear too much. Clamp that rascal on, break it loose and done in 5mins without having to crawl under the rig, just kneel down and reach under!

I too am fond of them, I keep losing or misplacing tools and those are cheap enough and work good enough I can buy several for each place I work on things (rent trailer, garden building, storage building, workshop, ,reloading shop, tractor, dozer, backhoe, vehicle toolboxes, etc)

tinsnips
08-15-2021, 08:28 PM
If you use your tools to make a living with then there is no other choice but to buy the best.I learned that many years ago.

StuBach
08-15-2021, 10:35 PM
Sad to hear Lowe’s isn’t standing behind the craftsmen warranty any longer. Long before Kamapart bought Sears I collected only craftsmen tools as I was indoctrinated to do by my father. Now I tend towards Husky, there are numerous Home Depot’s all over the place around here and they stand behind their Lifetime guarantee.

For power tools I’ve read a lot about people not liking Rigid but I can say they have withstood a ton of work for me and only time anyone in my family needed to test the LSA on some batteries it was a very smooth and simple process and my Dad for two new batteries no problem. Don’t know any company that stands behind their products like that. I loved Makita till their old stick batteries all started failing and it became harder and harder to find replacements and the price was huge. Bought a new set of Rigid tools and haven’t had a problem yet 9 years later. Just my 2c though, I’m not kind to my tools with what I ask of them but I’m also not a tradesmen so my tools don’t see daily use.

Kraschenbirn
08-16-2021, 10:07 AM
Since I've retired, other than for my reloading and casting, I no longer buy mechanical tools because I've still got the Snap-On and Craftsman sets that I bought back in the early 1970s when I was working on airplanes to pay the rent...my G.I. Bill checks went toward tuition and books...while finishing my Bachelor's Degree.

Bill

country gent
08-16-2021, 10:29 AM
I found when I bought the "cheap" tools, I ended up with busted knuckles. Some of the worst were the 'tool kits" that come with things to assemble, seems like they were made to last just long enough to assemble the item.

gwpercle
08-16-2021, 11:25 AM
Keep some low cost , low quality tools around as " lenders" borrower's seem to realy like them quality tools .... you never ever get them back ... The cheap loaner... Oh Yeah , they might return that one !
Gary

Gator 45/70
08-16-2021, 01:26 PM
I prefer MAC tools over any other brand name out there.

PhilC
08-16-2021, 06:13 PM
Yes, and who else here was in SAC?
In SAC? Never actually. Was in Air Force Communication Service (AFCS) which became Air Force Communication Command (AFCC) in '79. I was, however, stationed on SAC bases twice - Malmstrom in '77 & Fairchild in '90.

Other assignments were AFLC (Tinker) '78 - '79, PACAF (Yokota) '79 - '83, MAC (McGuire) '83 - '85, TAC (Tonopah Test Range) '85 - '90, AAC (Alaska Air Command at Galena, AK) '92 - '93, and last was AFMC (formerly AFLC) Wright-Patterson '93 - '95 where I chose to retire and return to eastern WA.

AFCC was disbanded as a command in 1991 and all communications units were then assigned to the host wing or base.

beezapilot
08-17-2021, 08:13 AM
I recently restored a mid 1950's Yates-American lathe, big ol hunks of American cast iron! The problem was the spindle- odd proprietary threat 1 1/8 X 8TPI AND tapered. Searched the web and found a guy (BestWoodTools) that made adapters that would fit the spindle and allow a standard chuck / faceplate. At $70 I wasn't expecting the perfection that arrived in the package- machining so beautiful it made me openly weep. So many of the big tools companies seem to be trading on their names, I try for older tools as much as possible- but the new stuff I keep an eye on. First time in a long time that I feel my money was well spent on the web. Bondhus drivers are lovely and made in the USA, Red Label abrasives are superb and made in the USA. Lots of little companies making excellent tools and products- they are worth the search.

MaryB
08-18-2021, 01:28 PM
I needed to replace my tool set, the old stuff was the cheap truck sale from the back of a semi garbage. Lot of them broke, missing a bunch from getting lost in a vehicle or jut lost in the grass(before I built a shop to work in). I had ordered some Klutch sockets form Northern Tool and was impressed with the quality. They were sized properly, not sloppy loose like heap tools... price was lower mid range... got the full set so now I have every socket or wrench I could possibly need. In between fixing my junk, friends working on their cars the stuff gets used. Friends enjoy my insulated and heated shop in winter as do I. No more frozen fingers trying to fix the snowblower when it is 0F or lower after a snowstorm.

Bought myself a proper toolbox too after years of 2 small cheap ones, and piles of tools on benches and in cardboard boxes. Very impressed wit the quality of this box! And it is deeper than many so holds a LOT more.

https://i.imgur.com/srbOTBk.jpg

Ickisrulz
08-18-2021, 07:13 PM

But back to tools.

On some vehicles, if you have two programmed keys, you can program a third. There are other ways an owner can program a key too. You might want to run a search.

Fishman
08-20-2021, 02:18 PM
I like quality tools a lot. Recently I've purchased several different tools from Knipex (https://www.knipex.com/) which is a German tool company. Their Cobra adjustable pliers are excellent, and the also have some unique tool designs that just work better in some circumstances, for example their crescent wrench alternative that is pliers-based. The 5" versions of both of those ride in my truck console and are used very often and for jobs that you wouldn't think they could do. I'm intrigued by their newest design, a pex/pvc cutting tool.

MaryB
08-20-2021, 02:52 PM
Who makes a decent locking pliers these days? Vice Grip was bought out and their quality has gone way down. I broke my last old Vise Grip the other day working on the mower deck bogey wheel that I bent(caught in a gopher hole, thought I had ripped the deck off the mower!Dead stop from mowing at 1/2 speed. It hurt stopping that fast!), locking parts went flying into the grass to never be found unless I pick them up in a mower tire LOL

fc60
08-20-2021, 04:31 PM
Who makes a decent locking pliers these days? Vice Grip was bought out and their quality has gone way down. I broke my last old Vise Grip the other day working on the mower deck bogey wheel that I bent(caught in a gopher hole, thought I had ripped the deck off the mower!Dead stop from mowing at 1/2 speed. It hurt stopping that fast!), locking parts went flying into the grass to never be found unless I pick them up in a mower tire LOL

Greetings,

I, too, favor old tools. I set a search parameter within eBay so I get notifications of new listings of the tool I seek.

I have been fortunate. Most sellers are clearing away an Estate and on occasion you get a like new tool with a wee bit of surface rust.

I just searched eBay for "vice-grip" and found over 200 auctions. Filter out the garbage and I think you will find what you seek.

Cheers,

Dave

wjbaker1
08-20-2021, 05:00 PM
Vise Grip is back in business in the USA (sort of). Malco has opened the old Vise Grip Factory back up and is making new, made in the USA locking piers.

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Malco-LP7WC-Curved-Locking-Pliers/dp/B0924QSHLF/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=eagle+grip&qid=1629492938&sr=8-4

They are pricey at $43 and only available on Amazon.

I bought a set and they are really nice.

MaryB
08-21-2021, 04:10 PM
Vise Grip is back in business in the USA (sort of). Malco has opened the old Vise Grip Factory back up and is making new, made in the USA locking piers.

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Malco-LP7WC-Curved-Locking-Pliers/dp/B0924QSHLF/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=eagle+grip&qid=1629492938&sr=8-4

They are pricey at $43 and only available on Amazon.

I bought a set and they are really nice.

Thanks! I will pay more for quality tools!

Pass on ebay auctions, been burned to many times by the seller swapping in a junk tool.

StuBach
08-21-2021, 04:24 PM

I’m just saying, a large magnet on wheels has saved many tires in my family over the years. My dad has an old wooden one he made but I have a lighter weight aluminum one with telescoping handle that works great. Their designed for roofers to clean up the nails they drop but one could find your missing parts in the grass to save your future tire.

rbuck351
08-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Knipex are the best "water pump"pliers I have ever seen. I have a set I've had for six or 7 tears that I carry in the leg pocket of my carhart pants at all times. The magnet roller on wheels is also a great tool for picking up screws, welding rod ends, nails and other tire pokers from my dirt drive way. I like quality tools but you don't have to buy the top brands to get quality tools. SnapOn, Proto, Mac and such are great tools but you can get tools that are very close to these for about 1/3 the cost. I can usually tell just by sight whether a wrench is quality or not. A quick feel will tell if a ratchet is good or not.

jaysouth
08-23-2021, 02:26 AM
Were I making my living as a mechanic, I would buy Snap-on. But as a hapless harry homeowner/shadetree mechanic, I do very well with Kobalt from Lowes or Husky from HD. It is not likely that I will live long enough to wear them out.

MaryB
08-25-2021, 02:13 PM
I needed a way to bend 1/4 inch aluminum plate o make brackets to hold a 7' diameter dish antenna. I was searching one night when I was bored and ran across Swag Off Road. They make a bending brake jig for a shop press and I happen to own a little 12 ton press that gets used on bearings for the mower deck turrets, on misc car stuff etc. Very well make heavy duty tool! And affordable. I am putting in 2 new towers and needed to bend rebar so I gave it a good workout yesterday! They make a nice tubing bender I am looking at adding too!

https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-12-TON-Press-Brake-DIY-Builder-Kit-_p_72.html