PDA

View Full Version : I would be better off hand lubing with crisco.

greywuuf
08-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Found out I did not have a 7mm die for my lubrisizer, so being impatient i "pan lubed" a batch of 135 grain Thor 7mms. Single lube groove....lube was thick pan was cold lube is to brittle ...basicly everything about the process is a PITA. Guess I will smash some lube in the groove with my fingers when I load them because this crap does Not stick to the bullets and by the time I get them out of the cutter it has all been for naught. Frustrating night to say the least. All I am trying to do is get something to shoot out of my new gun, aint a 7mm bullet to be had planet wide. So hundreds of dollars later I am "saving money" and wasting my life. :(

Winger Ed.
08-13-2021, 10:07 PM
It's a learning curve for sure.

I'd encourage you not to give up.

greywuuf
08-13-2021, 10:09 PM
Aint my first go round, been pan luring cap and ball revolvers loads for years. Also all of my pistol calibers... just really unimpressed with this batch of lube.

Rcmaveric
08-13-2021, 11:13 PM
I panlubed my first year before i got a lubersizer. There is a happy zone. Bens Red worked quite well.

I would wait for the wife to leave or send her off on errand... lol i would send her off to the hardware store for a an odd size socket. I was guaranteed she would he gone for a couple hours.

I would drop the new bullets in the old holes. Slap the mess in the oven and walk away. Once the lube remelted it flowed and i would turn the oven off. Let it stiffen. Then pop them in fridge to fully set. I could get a couple trays done beforw she got home. Once i finnished i would lifht sone incense or make ginger bread cookies. She was never the wiser.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ak_milsurp
08-14-2021, 01:06 AM
Tumble lube! "BLL"

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

greywuuf
08-14-2021, 04:28 AM
Ok, I want to say that I am not Badmouthing any particular lube recipe or anything like that, mostly this is a comment on my frustration on half arsing and being impatient. i have created a mess and Caused my self a lot more work than i needed too. it is coming together and things will improve... but Dang if i don't find every conceivable way to screw up getting there

Shopdog
08-14-2021, 06:10 AM
With 3 lube sizers bolted in a line,and can make sizing dies from "scratch".....

I still hand lube all the rifle bullets. Use a very small pen knife,lube is kept in old Kiwi shoe polish tins. Just don't see this process changing. Am only "sizing" the lowest,GC part of bullet in the Lyman 450's. For the most part,the body is left untouched. The bore ride sections get attention,but even these..... some noses are "spun" in reforming dies. These are lubed by chunking the nose into well firmed up LLA(most of the mineral spirits well evaporated) that has some graphite sprinkled in. Takes longer to type,than do. Still not an "automatic" or,progressive procedure. Some noses bumped,some swaged down,"dry".

Each rig/mould has specific requirements,pulling handles,kerchunking a finished boolit with every pull just dosen't happen here with rifle fodder. Handguns? Heck yeah.

lar45
08-14-2021, 08:54 PM
This works for me if I need to pan lube something odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VknyUHcFI

greywuuf
08-14-2021, 08:59 PM
Turns out that pitching the "cake cutter" and just freezing my pan and popping the bullets out with my thumb has worked really well.

Walks
08-14-2021, 09:01 PM
Soft lube works Way better then hard lube, especially when pan lubing.

Rcmaveric
08-14-2021, 10:05 PM
Anyother good method is just take the lube and roll into a crayon or snake shape. The smear it into the grooves and run it through a lee sizer die.

Kind of gunks up the sizer die after a while though

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JSnover
08-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Ok, I want to say that I am not Badmouthing any particular lube recipe or anything like that, mostly this is a comment on my frustration on half arsing and being impatient. i have created a mess and Caused my self a lot more work than i needed too. it is coming together and things will improve... but Dang if i don't find every conceivable way to screw up getting there

Yup. I have days when pan-lubing was perfect without a hitch and other days when it only needed one thing to go wrong... and then everything else went wrong.
God invented coffee for mornings and whiskey for the evening.

gwpercle
08-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Found out I did not have a 7mm die for my lubrisizer, so being impatient i "pan lubed" a batch of 135 grain Thor 7mms. Single lube groove....lube was thick pan was cold lube is to brittle ...basicly everything about the process is a PITA. Guess I will smash some lube in the groove with my fingers when I load them because this crap does Not stick to the bullets and by the time I get them out of the cutter it has all been for naught. Frustrating night to say the least. All I am trying to do is get something to shoot out of my new gun, aint a 7mm bullet to be had planet wide. So hundreds of dollars later I am "saving money" and wasting my life. :(

Pan Lubing ... mess and failure , I got lube on me the table , the floor and the dog ... none stayed in the lube groove ...is what prompted to drive to local dealer and buy a Lyman 450 lube/sizer and a stick of that black Ideal lube ... best money I ever spent .
Do you know how hard it is to get all the lube off the wife's linoleum floor ?
She was HOT ... me and the dog bunked together for a whole week !
Funny thing ... the dog wasn't upset about me spilling lube on him !
Gary

rbuck351
08-15-2021, 11:36 AM
I tried the pan lube thing once but it was more mess than I could stand. With the current lube sizers or even Lee lube, I don't see a reason to pan lube boolits. With the Star lube sizer I can put lube only where I want. I make my own dies so I can have dies any size I want when ever I need them.

myg30
08-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Maybe you could ask here to borrow a sizer die ??? There are so many good folks here and most are willing to help out a brother caster/ reloader.
Not sure what Luber you have or size die you need but worth a try. I’ve never pan lubed and already know that I never will.

Mike

marshall623
10-19-2021, 10:18 PM
I tried pan lubing and I could not get the hang of it . Had a few occasions it worked , but most attempts were less than successful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
10-20-2021, 06:47 AM
My experience with pan lubing and Ben's Red was a week of cleaning to get things back to where they were.

Won't go back there again.

On the other hand.

In a stainless steel bowl you can use a heat gun, warm the boolits up. Drop in a lump of lube, your choice. Swirl

When you have swirled long enough most of the lube will be either on the pan, or in the grooves.

At that point I like to lock it into place with a shot of Ben's Liquid Lube + Carnuba wax.

Does not take much. Couple of light coats seals the lube in the grooves and leaves boolits unsticky.

Beats the heck out of pan lubing IMO.
Lots less messy.

Final step spill them into a cardboard flat and set in front of a small fan for half an hour.

GregLaROCHE
10-20-2021, 09:18 AM
What was the lube being used? A homemade recipe or commercial? If it’s too hard for pan lubing, it may not be easy to finger lube with.

Soundguy
10-20-2021, 09:54 AM
are the bullets sized already?

This is why it's nice to have a push thru size die on hand.. lee are cheap.. but work.

For pan lubing.. I've found that hot lube and warm bullets and time make the best results. If your lube is too hard and too much MC wax and won't stick, clean the bullets with a solvent like naptha or laq thinner.. etc. then tumble lube with very very thin alox.. thin the alox with something that flashes super fast.. again.. naptha. once cured.. you can lube them with just about anything and they will stick.

Dan Cash
10-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Problems with pan lubing stem from the lube and operator, not the pan.

gwpercle
10-20-2021, 11:07 AM
About 1972 , after trying all the pan lubing , dip lubing , tumble lubing and Herter Leaky lubericating press mounted gizmo that sucked rocks ... I drove down to local Gun shop / reloading supply and bought a Lyman 450 , .358" H&I die and two sticks of Lyman black lube .
That has been the absolute best money I ever spent ... one cycle of the handle ... out pops a sized , lubed and if needed gas check seated boolit ready to load ... SWEET !!! No Mess.

Save up your $'s and buy one ... You Will Love It !
Gary

gwpercle
10-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Problems with pan lubing stem from the lube and operator, not the pan.

Horse Pucky ... the whole system Sucks Rocks ... Lube/sizer Rules .

Soundguy
10-20-2021, 11:14 AM
Horse Pucky ... the whole system Sucks Rocks ... Lube/sizer Rules .

Only for those that lack skill and patience.

I've hand lubed and sized untold thousands and thousands of rounds. Pan lube..tumble lube..comercial lubes..home made lubes.. Black powder types, smokeless types, yada yada yada. I know what im doing..have patience and do it well.

Anything can be said to 'suck' if you don't know what you are doing..or don't like doing it. Know the difference.

robg
10-20-2021, 02:27 PM
ive use a lubersizer but now i tumble lube . its quick and simple .

Ickisrulz
10-21-2021, 07:57 AM
I am a dedicated pan luber. But when it comes to long skinny bullets (i.e., rifle bullets), I hold them by the nose and drip them in hot, liquid lube and then let it harden (Carnuba Red). Then I run them through a Lee Sizer. It works fine.

rintinglen
11-03-2021, 09:51 PM
I have pan lubed many thousands of boolits. Use a good, soft lube--much of my experience was with Javelina Brand 50/50. In cold weather, I would heat the boolits in the pan of lube with a hair dryer until the lube melted then put the pan out side to freeze. Dump the cake onto a piece of clean Formica and pop the lubed boolits out. Refill the holes, reheat the lube and put the boolits out to freeze, and run the first batch through a sizer and box 'em up.

These days I use mostly BLL and tumble lube my boolits, especially for handguns, but there is no reason for tumble lubing not to work.