PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube Lube-A-Matic Help

tacofrank
08-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Picked up and oldie and hopefully a goodie Lube-A-Matic that needs some TLC.
First the piston is stuck about an inch from the top. I've removed the screw through the bottom and it looks great. It has what appears a groove for an O-ring? I've rebuilt several Lyman 45's, and 450's and have not seem (Or noticed) the groove in the others. Does this one require an O-ring?
Second, are the piston an it's O'rings interchangeable with Lyman's?
Third does RCBS have parts for it?
Forth are the O'rings a standard size available at hardware stores?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
TF

crandall crank
08-12-2021, 03:12 PM
frank,

Go to RCBS website and on the bottom of the page is "Support" and there is a pdf for the both the manual and an exploded diagram for the LAM and the LAM2. According to the diagram, there are 2 "O" rings used in the LAM. Both of them are the same size.

From my experience with RCBS, I'd just call them and request the new parts. The have always been free and so is the postage. You can always measure the new ones in case you want to purchase them at your local hardware store in the future.

I do not believe the "O" rings are interchangeable between RCBS and Lyman.

Mk42gunner
08-12-2021, 07:24 PM
1. You will have to get the piston out somehow. The piston itself takes two O-rings, not sure of the size.

2. Different size than the Lyman 450.

3. Maybe, been quite a while since they made the Lubamatic.

4. Yes. Somewhere on this website the size is noted. I just took the piston to the hardware store and bought a couple that fit.

As to an O-ring on the bottom of the stem, I don't remember. I bolted mine to a short piece of 2x6 with a gasket between the sizer and the board. I either use a C clamp to mount it to a table, or screw it down to a work bench in use.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Dusty Bannister
08-12-2021, 09:49 PM
I realize that the LAM was made over a period of time so some may have had a fiber washer and others some type of ring. The parts list should be a clue. if you put things back together and mount the sizer on a board you can probably turn the ratchet and move the pressure nut and back it out of the housing. As I recall, the retaining washer in the bottom of the sizer housing is just staked in place so if you did not have the sizer mounted on a surface, that would easily press the washer out of the housing and leave the pressure nut in place.

If you have a damaged unit (rust, fire, beat to heck) then all bets are off.

tacofrank
08-12-2021, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I got the piston out and it and the O-rings are in good shape. As advised I went to the RCBS web site and they show all the parts. I call tomorrow and see if they have the parts as shown. If so I'll order two O-rings and a couple of felt washers. There was no felt washer in it and no leakage at the bottom so maybe a washer isn't needed. I'll take a heat gun to it and clear it of what ever lube is in it and prepare it for paint and will assemble it when the parts arrive. I have two Lyman 45's and a 450 and use all regularly. Never have had or know anyone who ever used an Lube-A-Matic. Hope this will serve me as as well as the Lyman's. If all goes well I'll have four lube sizers set up for the calibers I shoot on a regular basis.
Again thank you for all of your replies. This site is awesome.
TacoFrank