PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that enjoys casting bullets.

brstevns
08-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Have always enjoyed casting bullets accept in really hot weather. Am I the only one?

StuBach
08-12-2021, 12:05 PM
I’m right there with you. I cast whenever time allows just cause it’s a great way to clear my head and enjoy some “me” time. I agree though, if it’s over 65 degrees or below 30 in my garage it loses some of the appeal.

Thumbcocker
08-12-2021, 12:17 PM
When I get the casting mindset it is almost a Zen experience. Very mellow when you get into the rhythm with a couple of well behaved molds dropping good boolits every cycle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ryanmattes
08-12-2021, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty sure you're on a forum full of people who really like casting. I suppose there may be some who do it out of necessity, but for the most part, if we're here, we're probably pretty into it.

Ryan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Scrounge
08-12-2021, 12:32 PM
I would do more casting, if I could. I'm with Ryan & Thumbcocker. Here lately, I've been spending all my productive time working on my workshop, which is at least nominally separate from reloading area. There is stuff in the reloading area that needs to move into the shop, and vise versa, and once the shop is done, I'll be moving into the reloading area. That's also my office, library, and electronics area. The office is marginally useful, the rest not so much. I got the new cabinet for my Atlas lathe more or less done yesterday. I'm on the honey-do list right now, and tomorrow is my 39th Anniversary, so I may not get to move the lathe until Sunday, or later. Still a lot of organizing to do in the shop, too. And in the house.

Bill

JoeJames
08-12-2021, 12:44 PM
I must still be a 10 year old at heart. Something about casting molten lead that appeals to me. Temperature range where I cast, of from 55 degrees up to 75 is ok with me. It is kind of a mental reset; especially when the mold begins to drop perfect boolits. I don't know much about Zen but may be that.

AndyC
08-12-2021, 12:48 PM
I prefer casting to loading.

brstevns
08-12-2021, 03:23 PM
I prefer casting to loading.

I am there with you. Find casting helps me to calm my nerves and settle the brain. I enjoy reloading but like casting better. I do really enjoy shooting the bullets cast to see how they preform. Cast a 100 6mm today but it was 92 degrees and I quit in less then a hour.

Cosmic_Charlie
08-12-2021, 03:28 PM
I like casting with my 4 and 6 cavity molds. The 2 cav gets a bit tedious. This time of year I shoot mostly.

reddog81
08-12-2021, 03:36 PM
I was casting a little before lunch with a new mold from Accurate molds. It was about 85 outside and humid. I'll probably cast some more tonight as I only got a few pounds of good bullets before I had to leave for work. That's about as hot as I can stand. I was dripping sweat by the time I finished up. I'll cast down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit in my detached garage. With the right apparel the cold doesn't phase me.

fc60
08-12-2021, 03:40 PM
Greetings,

Most of my casting is slugs for swaging.

Two hours of casting with a 6-cavity mould gives me enough slugs to last a couple of months.

Cheers,

Dave

Winger Ed.
08-12-2021, 03:41 PM
I like doing it.

Not only do I save a buck or two, but it keeps me out of those crooked BINGO parlors.

dverna
08-12-2021, 04:14 PM
I cast and reload to save $$$.

If 9mm/.38 bullets were $40/1000, and .40's were $50/1000, I would never cast another pistol bullet unless the government made it necessary to cast to get bullets.

Rifle bullets make even less sense for me. I do not own any "weird" calibers that benefit from cast or some voodoo profile. LOL

I must have $2000 in stuff to cast bullets not including about 2 tons of alloy. I would love to find someone who would have fun converting that alloy to bullets.

Arkansas Paul
08-12-2021, 04:23 PM
I enjoy it, and loading as well.
Almost as much as shooting.

Jhopson
08-12-2021, 04:32 PM
I enjoy casting better than reloading. I own a commercial casting business but I really enjoy breaking out my 5 hole molds and making my own bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJung
08-12-2021, 04:51 PM
287439 . I like recycling lead from the range and saving money in the process. Here's a chess set my daughter and I cast together. I keep busy playing with the scrap alloyed lead I pickup at the range. Yesterday I tested lead ingots I made and left in my garage for a few months. The hardness changed but I was able to test the bhn with pencils and separate the ingots by hardness. The softest ingots are for my .38wc and .45s. Today I mixed and matched the hardest and second hardest ingots for various pistol calibers, taking a piece of each ingot of a group and mixing together so I can get a better mix of the same alloy, then I swirl cast the bullets. I'm going pc and let the bullets sit awhile, then temper one batch to compare loads with a tempered to a seasoned bullet. Experimenting is fun to me. I wish I could use them for hunting but CA banned lead bullets. Maybe I can talk a Texan into taking some from me and shooting a dead pig carcass so I can see how well my creations expand.

2A-Jay
08-12-2021, 05:05 PM
I only cast for my Muzzle loader, .490rb (Pure lead, and .50 conicals. I have well over 1,000 of each. (I cast now because I enjoy it), Same reason I reload. I don't NEED more. I reload for 30-06,30-30, .38 s&w, .45acp, . I have at least 1,000 rounds loaded for each. I have 2 1,000 round bricks of CCI .22lr. I reload now because it relaxes me, and I just want more.

Conditor22
08-12-2021, 05:15 PM
I am there with you. Find casting helps me to calm my nerves and settle the brain. I enjoy reloading but like casting better. I do really enjoy shooting the bullets cast to see how they preform. Cast a 100 6mm today but it was 92 degrees and I quit in less then a hour.

I set up my garage so I can cast year-round.
With 2 vent fans over my pot and another that vents the whole garage if needed.
I have a small heater for the winter (doesn't take much with the big door closed)
I also have a big 2-speed squirrel-cage fan out of a furnace mounted on an end wall that blows down the front of you casting bench that keeps me cool on hot days.
{**** IF you use a squirrel-cage fan out of a furnace, you need to block 2/3 of the air inlet to simulate the backpressure of the fan being in the furnace so it will run faster and not burn itself out}

charlie b
08-12-2021, 05:45 PM
Well......YES. If I didn't like it then why would I do it? :)

At one time I thought about buying an automated unit. Then figured I would be missing out on all the fun. Kinda same with reloading.

I do enjoy casting rifle bullets a lot more than pistol bullets. Taking the extra time to get as close to perfect as I can so the groups will be smaller at longer ranges.

fredj338
08-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Not at all! When I jut want to go relax, I fire up the casting pot. I tolerate reloading, well over 350K rds in the last 45y, but I do enjoy casting. Hand casting or the Magma Caster, its all just good relaxing & turning scrap into something useful.

Mk42gunner
08-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Have always enjoyed casting bullets accept in really hot weather. Am I the only one?
I like casting, I don't like sweating while sitting still.

Humid Missouri summers are not the optimum time to cast boolits, at least in my opinion.

Robert

Mal Paso
08-12-2021, 08:13 PM
If it's a new mold it doesn't matter what temperature, think it was 95F when the last 2 arrived. I like casting and shooting a little better than reloading but I like all of it.

Three44s
08-12-2021, 08:33 PM
I like being self-sufficient there for I cast. I get a lot of pride in getting my own cast projectiles to perform well.

I do not fight high heat or excessive cold, however!

Three44s

brstevns
08-12-2021, 08:34 PM

Humid Missouri summers are not the optimum time to cast boolits, at least in my opinion.

Robert

See you are in MO like me. so you know what I am talking about.

charlie b
08-12-2021, 08:40 PM
I really hate humidity, but, the worst time I had casting was a summer afternoon in Phoenix. Garage had a door that faced west so it was cooler to open the door. Only 112F. Never did that again :)

ryanmattes
08-12-2021, 08:46 PM
You guys and your 75 degrees. It's 85 at midnight around here and up over 100 during the day, and this summer the humidity's been 80%-90% all summer long. If I didn't cast when it was hot, I'd only have a month or two all year to cast. And in those months it would be too cold.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
08-12-2021, 09:37 PM
My favorite days to cast are midnight January and February. I finally have all the time I could want to cast, and nobody bothers you at night. It can be a little cold sometimes, but that's why they make jackets. There's no bugs at all. About the only problem is if you have a strong breeze, the cold air can mess with a bottom pour pot.

jim147
08-12-2021, 09:44 PM

Robert

Once it hits low 60 or mid 50's I'll cast enough for six months to a year depending on how long the weather holds.

TjB101
08-12-2021, 09:49 PM
Really appeals to my OCD … filling the coffers is always rewarding.

BNE
08-12-2021, 09:52 PM
I love casting. I prefer it to be cold outside, but if I am offered the choice - Shoot or Cast? I will often choose to cast.

BNE

bruce381
08-12-2021, 09:58 PM
I started at about 9 or 10 casting toy lead soldiers using mostly old solder a neighbor gave me box was to heavy for me to carry so my best friend helped me push it down the sidewalk to his house. Is still remember the finger burns and learning it looked cold but was NOT

echo154
08-12-2021, 10:22 PM
I started out melting lead around a camp fire (.45 and .50 RB) and casting in two old iron ball molds. Something nostalgic about that. Now I cast in my shop. I have central heat and window air....unfortunately it gets a little tough to breathe and I have to open the overheads. I love the time I spend out there....kinda calming. I only have two custom molds and the rest are lee's(not bad for what they cost).

tankgunner59
08-12-2021, 11:53 PM
I'm with you brothers. I love to work with my casting, loading and shooting. I even enjoy cleaning my guns after the range. It is all a lot of enjoyment to me. I too would rather cast in cooler weather.

08-13-2021, 12:02 AM
If ya asked that question cuz you think someone here is going to talk you out of it

[emoji848]

[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

44Blam
08-13-2021, 12:14 AM
Love casting. Once the boolits start falling, it is just cathartic.
I am slow, I make sure that I'm getting good boolits while casting so I check them as they drop. For this reason, I like brass/iron molds. With those molds you have to slow down a little and I use that time to look at my boolits...

kevin c
08-13-2021, 04:14 AM
I started reloading and later casting to save money. Now I enjoy both activities apart from the shooting.

sharps4590
08-13-2021, 06:46 AM
See you are in MO like me. so you know what I am talking about.

Same here but my shop is air conditioned so I cast when I need bullets, whenever that might be. I have to admit that I don't enjoy casting like I did 40 years ago. Now it's on an as needed basis and I have real problems sitting there for more than about an hour.

tdoor4570
08-13-2021, 08:49 AM
I go out in the shop and cast when I want some me time . winter or summer does not matter, have an air conditioner for the summer and heater for the winter. made a bad mistake though taught my wife to cast and handload .

Targa
08-13-2021, 09:04 AM
If I didn’t enjoy it I would just buy my bullets from Rocky Mountain, Missouri or Montana Bullet works. For me it would be much more practical and economical but I enjoy making my own.

45-70 Chevroner
08-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Moderator!
What happened to my post? It is in my profile but gone from here. Thank you.
Sorry about that, I didn't realize I had started it as a new thread.

brstevns
08-13-2021, 10:52 AM
My wife thinks I am crazy to stand over a lead pot in this weather. So I had to ask if I was the only one that really enjoys casting or was it something you do because you have too.

dverna
08-13-2021, 11:16 AM
My wife thinks I am crazy to stand over a lead pot in this weather. So I had to ask if I was the only one that really enjoys casting or was it something you do because you have too.

You married up...obviously...LOL

lightman
08-13-2021, 12:16 PM
I enjoy casting but I do most of mine after Deer season in late Winter and early Spring. I cast enough then to carry me through the year. I have enough electrical circuits behind my work bench that I often cast with a couple of friends. We usually make a day of it.

A buddy and I also save our aculimanted lead all year and have a smelting day during the cooler weather. We have a friendly competition to see who scrounges the most lead during the year. We tease each other with pictures of our better scores.

Beagle333
08-13-2021, 01:11 PM
I enjoy casting and always cast way more than I shoot. I probably give 80% of my boolits away to friends and family.

Murphy
08-13-2021, 02:41 PM
I'd have to say I enjoy it. I started casting out of necessity and lay the blame at the feet of Charles 'Skeeter' Skelton. I soaked up any and everything Skeeter wrote. His writings about the Thompson design bullet #358156, and the Keith design #429421 led up to my start. Living in a rural area of Oklahoma, there wasn't many gun shops, and I didn't know a soul who cast their own. Nor could I find a way (or place) to purchase either of those bullets. I scoured the gun magazines and the grand old Shotgun News with no luck looking to order either of the bullets. I decided it was time to learn to cast my own. Strange, it doesn't seem that 40 years have passed since it all began.

It was years in the making, but now I have a great little shop out back dedicated to my shooting needs. It was once a very small day care center many years ago. The walls and ceiling are bead board and it's climate controlled. Once the mold and alloy are up to temp, I typically try to fill no less than a 3 pound coffee can of whatever bullet it is I'm casting. Being a music lover, I have a nice sound system (200 watts) and it gets fired up too. I get lost in the music, the rhythm of my casting speed and I'm at peace with the world. So yes, I do enjoy casting.

Murphy

Mitch
08-14-2021, 10:38 PM
I am in the group where casting is relaxing for me.Seems to keep my attention and I just get in a happy zone.I have bullets eveywhere.I cast way more than i shoot.I have been trading for brass and other things for a long time.I have not cast as much in the last year but i expect to be at it again this fall when the weather cools down a bit.38 and 45 are my favorite cals.

brstevns
08-15-2021, 09:54 AM
You married up...obviously...LOL

She is a good one. Knows my Love of shooting, reloading and casting. When we had a place to shoot she could go though a carton of 22's in the time it took me to shoot a 100 rd though my Single Action Ruger.
Understands my love of casting, but might complain of a few smells will blending. LOL

brstevns
08-17-2021, 10:06 AM
Relaxing is my main reason as well, cast more bullets for a few cousins to keep me going. Should have never given them a few to try! L.O.L.

onelight
08-17-2021, 10:19 AM
I enjoy casting particularly when good bullets fall on every cast :)

Bent Ramrod
08-17-2021, 10:58 AM
It depends.

When I’m casting for experimental loadings with a new-found mould (and said mould isn’t being cranky), I really enjoy it.

If I suddenly find that I’m out of a design I need for an impending match, it’s more “work,” but still OK.

I once cast 500 small hollow-base boolits for a friend of a friend in exchange for a Mannlicher action, out of a single-cavity mould. That was drudgery; put me off casting for six months.

Guess I’m just not a pro. Otherwise, the fact that bad ones can always be remelted for another try removes any stress, and I, too, get that Zen thing when I’m rushin’ on my run.

David2011
08-19-2021, 07:14 PM
So I could cast when I wanted, the last three casting rooms have been air conditioned and heated; just a window unit and oil filled space heater until the last one so the cost was minimal. I was in East Texas for the first one, SE New Mexico desert for the next and now on the Tx Gulf Coast where it’s hot 8 months of the year. The A/C also keeps everything from rusting.

brstevns
08-24-2021, 03:41 PM
97 degrees today, to hot to cast.

jonp
08-24-2021, 05:29 PM

No. Cast when needed

Texas by God
08-25-2021, 04:05 PM
97 degrees today, to hot to cast.Yes it is. I enjoy casting in much cooler weather, myself. I shoot less in the heat so it equals out.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

brstevns
08-27-2021, 04:15 PM
Waiting for a NOE mold to arrive, Had to save for awhile to order it. When it arrives I will just have to give it a tried.

Caliboose
11-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Which of the following is true:
I am a progressive and think guns should be confiscated.
I have a ton of work to do and I can hardly wait till I get to the office.
I have a ton of lead.

FLINTNFIRE
11-12-2021, 02:48 PM
I believe I have a ton of lead , is that already cast or waiting to be cast or in the process of casting , this is so confusing .

I enjoy casting , I enjoy taking range scrap and salvaging it and melting it into ingots , yes its work , its dirty and its sweaty with some physical discomfort while doing all those processes , but when those shiny bullets are finally done and ready to load , there is satisfaction .

Each and every step of the process and the brass reloading takes time and effort , but is somewhat enjoyable , part of the hobby of shooting which leads to more reloading and to casting , yes I like to make my own .

GregLaROCHE
11-12-2021, 05:13 PM
I enjoy casting, but try not to do it in the hot summer and not in the winter when my feet end up getting cold. Once I get in the groove and boolits are dropping just right, I hate to stop.

longbow
11-12-2021, 06:28 PM
I have enjoyed casting since I was a kid. Something about self reliance and all that I guess. I like casting pretty much any bullets but my preference is casting large round balls! I have no idea why but it is what it is. I like symmetry and it just don't get any more symmetrical than a round ball! That and they cast and drop out of the moulds beautifully. I have round ball moulds:

- 00 buckshot (okay those are small)
- 0.375" double cavity (smallish)
- 0.440" double cavity (now we're getting there!)
- 0.490" double cavity
- 0.662" single cavity
- 0.678" single cavity
- 0.690" single cavity
- 0.715" single cavity
- 0.735" single cavity

I love them all! I love all my bullet, ball and slug moulds and casting with them except one... the infamous Lyman Foster slug mould. That mould I hate!

I cast any time of year when I need balls or bullets. I've cast in the heat of summer at around 100°F and in the cold of winter at about 5°F. It gets colder here but I have my limits!

Casting just makes me feel good... all those shiny balls and bullets, what's not to like?

Longbow

Soundguy
11-12-2021, 06:36 PM
I love casting!

Smoke4320
11-12-2021, 06:55 PM
I enjoy casting as long as the mold cooperates. Usually do it early in the cool/cold mornings

Biggin
11-12-2021, 10:13 PM
I've only been casting for a few years now but I do find it relaxing if the mold is working for me and I'm dropping good boolits. It's mostly a cold weather hobby for me though.

lead chucker
11-13-2021, 04:59 AM
I love casting boolits hot or cold outside doesn't matter as long as it isn't windy and raining. I have a covered area that i cast in and if its windy and raining not good. I don't like the Tinsel ferry.

FISH4BUGS
11-14-2021, 08:46 AM

Not at all.
I like to do long manic runs of casting and do 2000 or more at a pop.
I use mostly 4 and 6 cavity H&G moulds and can do those over a few nights of good hard work.
Then the sizing/lubing. Another pleasant activity.
The the reloading on Dillon 550.
When you are all said and done, you have a couple of ammo cans full of 9mm, 44, or 38 or whatever. Inventory for a year or two.
Rinse, repeat. :)
A job well done gives the ultimate - the satisfaction of well made ammo from scratch.

max it
11-14-2021, 09:31 AM
I’m [emoji33] scared. Lead level went 19 dl/ml. No covered outdoor space either.

myg30
11-14-2021, 09:56 AM
I’m [emoji33] scared. Lead level went 19 dl/ml. No covered outdoor space either.

Read this and there are several others that help clean heavy metals from your blood.

http://www.herballegacy.com/Motteshard_Medicinal.html

Do a search as this topic has been discussed before with lots of suggestions to keep from getting high lead also how to treat it. 19 is not crazy high but I’d change my habits when casting.

Mike

Hickok
11-14-2021, 03:44 PM
I love casting. Just can't wait to see the first good filled-out boolits come out of a new mold.

In the casting, reloading, shooting process, the only thing I really dislike is.....Trimming cases!

I just detest trimming and deburring cases.:groner:

Walks
11-14-2021, 03:53 PM
I love casting. Just can't wait to see the first good filled-out boolits come out of a new mold.

In the casting, reloading, shooting process, the only thing I really dislike is.....Trimming cases!

I just detest trimming and deburring cases.:groner:

I love to cast, HATE the setup and teardown. About 30-40minutes each.

I now enjoy trimming cases. I use the Lyman Powered case trimmer with the Case Prep Express behind it, it goes fast and smooth.

Slugster
11-14-2021, 04:04 PM
I love to cast. Can't help my self. Am a little spoiled in that my casting/reloading area is in my basement workshop with woodstove, air conditioner, draft beer keezer and humidor (for afterwards) and I can raise the garage doors when the weather is good.
Reloading is enjoyable for big bore rifle, one at a time is my happy place for doing so. I find that loading on my progressive is boring and monotonous, but trying to load 9mm or 45acp on a rock chucker will drive you nuts.

oley55
11-14-2021, 04:57 PM
Upon further consideration as a newbie I do thoroughly enjoy casting and the challenge of fingering it out, but I then I almost always like learning/doing new hands-on skills. At some point, assuming I do actually finger this all out, I may need to adjust my like-o-meter....

Buckdane
11-14-2021, 08:23 PM
I too enjoy casting. The sizing gets to be tiresome if I goof up the pressure screw on my RCBS sizer. It seems casting in my basement with a kitchen hood with exhaust fan works ok for the quantities I need. What I find tiresome is melting down scrap wheel weights on the turkey cooker in a cast iron pot. Back gets sore being bent over so long (68yr old back) and the wait for perfect weather to do it, no wind, cool, and sunshine. Glad that is a once every few years operation.

jsanch03
12-05-2021, 04:25 AM
Right now with so cal weather in chino I have been casting a bunch of MP-130 and Lee 312-155. At 60 degrees my molds don’t even overheat. Of course I’m alternating between the 2 molds

Shopdog
12-05-2021, 06:14 AM
Have been very blessed over the last,durn near 50 years of casting.... with some awe inspiring casting setups. Got kicked out of the last digs by finishing the last upstairs rooms. That setup was REAL easy,powered vents and lots of room.

Setup now(have posted pics) is a 5 drawer Cman lower,roll around tool chest. Bought dented,so broke out the Martin hammers/dollies and got'r better than new. With custom mixed Lyman orange paint. Throw in some nice gauge metal,folding wind shields..... it's a durn nice setup.

Roll it out on the porch in nice weather,plug the whole thing up,to include pretty fancy mould oven. Give it 20 minutes doing some chores and then plop down in an old wicker rocking chair and cast for an hr or two. My Dobe just out of the "danger area" laying on the porch just begging for something to go chase,haha.

In the winter,the crafted sheet metal "stack" that serves as a chimney over pot.... this has an inline ductfan mounted and can be used on or off... even off,the hot air and fumes get sucked up. Turn on when fluxing,or when there's a breeze,it helps with the environment "bubble",over the pot. Tiny bit complex but easy to do. But in winter,the chimney connects with a big furnace indoors. It hooks to the damper and with a small to medium burn (huge oil/wood combination furnace) it pulls like a freight train. Just sayin,don't need to turn on duct fan,haha.

I don't cast a whole lot in advance,preferred number is usually around 2-300. And sometimes much less,around 50. Would say,it takes maybe 5 minutes of setup,and not quite that for putting things away after it's all cooled down. Just durn relaxing if you axt me?

rbuck351
12-05-2021, 12:28 PM
I enjoy casting but I don't do marathon secessions. I cast 200 to 400 and then do some other loading duty such as case prep or loading test rounds. I enjoy most parts of reloading. I don't even mind case trimming. I use lee case trimmers in a mini lathe which goes fairly fast.

brstevns
01-27-2022, 12:00 PM
This is all very interesting. Been casting some Lee .314 90gr for a cousin. Cast maybe 50-100 then powder coat them for him.
Each casting session I try to run at least 100. then powder with a different color. That way he can weight each color if he wishes to see if anything has changed if I added new WW etc.

dannyd
01-27-2022, 12:37 PM
I love to cast. The one thing I miss the most is; 30 years ago I could cast 2000 and 2500 bullets in a weekend unfortunately now only about 500. But it's still fun. :)

tward
01-27-2022, 01:06 PM
Casting, reloading, shooting. I’ve never been able to decide which I like best! Tim

brstevns
01-27-2022, 01:37 PM
I love to cast. The one thing I miss the most is; 30 years ago I could cast 2000 and 2500 bullets in a weekend unfortunately now only about 500. But it's still fun. :)

I agree, now that I am 71 sessions or shorter. Most of the time 100-150 is my limit for one day. I wait a day are so and then do some more. This getting old is not always fun.

bangerjim
01-27-2022, 04:41 PM
Living here in the desert SW, the weather is almost perfect every day to cast. Summer heat is mitigated by a large evap cooler outside my casting cabin. In the winter I just put on more layers.

And I do enjoy casting and loading far more than actually shooting the things. I have enough lead, alloys, brass, and powder to last 2 lifetimes. Primers are the only worry. Down to only 10,000 at last count! [smilie=s:

Outer Rondacker
01-27-2022, 05:05 PM
I really enjoy casting. Waiting on good weather for it not so much.