PDA

View Full Version : Lead pipe question

Acorn
08-11-2021, 02:43 PM
Is lead pipe pure lead, or close enough? BIL gave me some and I am just curious.

bangerjim
08-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Nothing in this life is for sure!

Most lead water pipe I have found is very close to pure. Just test it with your set of artist pencils to get a ballpark reading.

If it is old refrigeration small tubing, it could be pure tin. They used a lot in beer coolers long time ago. I ran across 100# of it several years ago for 50¢ a pound. Nice stuff!

Acorn
08-11-2021, 04:19 PM
My BIL is a foreman for a big plumbing contractor that does municipal contracts and if he runs across Any he gives it to me.

Pipefitter
08-11-2021, 08:00 PM
If it bends easily without "talking to you" (pure tin will have a cracking sound when bent) it is as close to pure as you can get,,,,, except for the "wiped joints" (looks like a snake swallowed a rat) which will contain a higher % of tin.

Outpost75
08-11-2021, 08:07 PM
CABLE sheathing is not pure lead, but is a calcium-lead alloy which drosses like crazy and is a pain to use. When you get unknown lead pipe or split sheahing melt a SMALL quantity of several pounds and watch to see if you get heavy drossing or not after initial fluxing...