PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good Chicken Salad

warren5421
08-10-2021, 11:47 PM
I am looking for some good checken salad recipes:

My basic is: (I don't measure)

2-4 chicken breasts cooked (cubed)
2-3 cups apples cubed (the apple you like)
2-3 cups grapes cut in 1/2 (I like green but any works)
1-1 1/2 cup nuts (english walnuts or pecans)
1-2 stalks celery, finely diced
½ cup mayonnaise (give or take)
onion-small amount minced
salt and pepper as needed

mix well and cool for an hour or longer

serve on salad or bread (white or cinnamon & raisin)

I have been up and down the east coast so have been served a lot of different types. Have had in it, water chestnuts, oranges, cranberries, strawberries, and more different types of nuts than I have fingers to count with.

Wheelguns 1961
08-11-2021, 12:20 AM
I have been craving some chicken salad lately, and have been trying to come up with a recipe. I am not much on the nuts, but the grapes sound very good. I think I will try some in this batch. Thanks for the idea!

Winger Ed.
08-11-2021, 12:37 AM
I make it pretty much like that, but without the grapes & nuts, and add a couple spoon fulls of dill pickle hot dog relish.

granville_it
08-11-2021, 12:49 AM
How do your "chicken breasts" cooked?.

The salad looks yummy.

Regards Mark

warren5421
08-11-2021, 08:54 AM
I use boneless and skinless, put in a pan of water and boil till done. Have also put in oven and cooked with skin on. Remove skin and take off bone and cube. You can cook the chicken just about any way you want. left over fried chicken works good also. If my grandson is here forget about left over chicken as he can eat a coop full of chickens in one setting.

farmbif
08-11-2021, 09:00 AM
what time is dinner served? haven't had good chicken salad in long time

gwpercle
08-11-2021, 11:30 AM
Take your favorite recipe and use Smoked Chicken for the chicken ...
... Oh Yeah Baby !
Gary

Hogtamer
08-11-2021, 12:04 PM
You are losing all the flavor and most of the protein by using boiled skinless breasts. If you roast the whole chicken, cool then pull the meat you will be astonished at the difference. Taking it further, stuff the cavity with celery and onions then roast. Pull the meat then put the whole carcass drippings and all in a pot big enough to cover with water. Simmer for maybe an hour and a half adding a little water along the way. Strain after it cools and you have the most delicious broth you can imagine. Use in soups or stews or the liquid to cook rice. Freezes well too.

gbrown
08-11-2021, 05:11 PM
I add celery, chopped into 1/4-1/8 in. cubes, and small chunks of apple in mine. We use canned chicken breast, mayo and dill relish. A good, fast and easy meal. Always have some in the pantry.

sierra1911
08-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Try adding some apple cider vinegar and a little sugar to the mayo for the dressing….

Wayne Smith
08-12-2021, 05:11 PM
What Hogtamer said - that's the easiest good way to cook a chicken. I prefer smoked but that's not as easy.

Bulldogger
08-13-2021, 08:42 AM
I agree with using chicken you cooked yourself, it makes a big difference. Also +1 on using grapes (split in halves). Also I like to add some minced dill pickle, but relish might work too. Lastly, I suggest learning to make your own mayonnaise. It's not hard at all. If you have a stick blender it takes only 20 seconds to whip up after you put the ingredients in. Endless flavor opportunities if you make your own mayo. I should add that it doesn't keep as long in the fridge and it's runnier than store-bought, but it is easily replaced and you can customize it endlessly.

Bulldogger

rockrat
08-17-2021, 04:02 AM
Also not big on the grapes or nuts, but I do add a little bit of sweet relish and some mustard, not much. Celery salt, salt and pepper.

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2021, 06:06 AM
i could do the nuts but dont like fruit in mine.

Electrod47
08-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Read your post just now. Had all the recipe on hand. Bingo, Got busy WaLa*** My wife says I'm her hero!

That's a tried and true mix I'm glad you reminded me of. Thank you

brassrat
08-21-2021, 10:57 PM
I chop up black olives if thats ok