PDA

View Full Version : Neck Tension - how much?

Wayne Smith
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm posting about my 10.5x47Rmm combination rifle that I'm in the process of recovering. I have designed a Mountain Mold boolit for it based on a chamber cast. I have fireformed cases, right length and size, base a little to thin. I hope to compensate for this by loading the boolits out on the lands to hold the base against the firing pin.

My problem is that, sans reloading dies, my boolit slides into the case mouth with no neck tension. Since this is a unique chamber dies are prohibitively expensive, more than the gun is worth. My initial thought is to get a Custom Lee Crimp Die made to fix the boolit in place. Is there a better way to fix this problem that I'm overlooking?

A bigger boolit isn't an answer, this one only allows about half the nose into the muzzle. Yeah, the chamber/throat is way oversize. What other problems am I likely to face? This is the first time I've played with one like this.

BTW, the latest date for this gun is April 1, 1892. Earliest is when Krupp started shipping fluid steel gun barrels to gunsmiths. The Shotgun side is Damascus.

jhrosier
01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Wayne,
If you could post the boolit diameter and the case neck thickness, I might be able to suggest an alternate solution.

Jack

leftiye
01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
On a sniggle snot? However much it takes to keep the rounds the same length they were when you loaded them (I like just enough to require a seater be used - a little more than thumb tight).

missionary5155
01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Good evening
If the barrels are Damascas then this is a BP loading firearm. Me I would first slug the throat area and cast some 40-1 or 30-1 plane base boolit to fit. Fill case with 2f and find a worthy target. Using black eliminates your problem of reloading dies.
This is how I generally load my Trapdoor and RB.
Enjoy that fine ol firearm !

Jetwrench
01-10-2009, 03:56 AM
Wayne Smith

10.5mm = .4133in, Could you perhaps use a Lee bullet size die opened up just a little to size the case then bell the mouth and then use another opened up but larger bullet size die to sort of taper crimp? Just a thought. Jetwrench

largom
01-10-2009, 08:58 AM
The custom Lee crimp die would probably be your cheapest route to go.
LARRY

Dark Helmet
01-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Check to see if a 44 mag carbide size die without a decapper will size them enough( I first thought 41 mag based on your bullet dia. but I think that would size them too far).

Wayne Smith
01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Wayne,
If you could post the boolit diameter and the case neck thickness, I might be able to suggest an alternate solution.

Jack

Fireformed case neck OD = .453"

Boolit diameter = .422"-.425"

Case thickness = .029"?? not sure I measured this correctly.

Jetwrench, I never thought of using the Lee boolit size die to size a case! Have you tried this?

Missionary, I know that this is BP only. I'm loading a case full of 777 and thinking I'll be getting around 1200fps, but this is just a guess. First I'll have to see if my boolit shoots!

BTW, only the shotgun side is Damascus, the rifle is fluid steel. It is an interesting gun.

The .44Mag is .429", so this is probably too tight.

Wayne Smith
01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh, as you think around this, remember that I have no bullet seat die either. It can't be made too tight or I won't be able to seat them. I am currently thumb seating or using my Lee Flare tool with the flare thing upside down. I just barely have one thread with the die adjusted down to the ram. Yes, I know that I can adjust the die in the press head.

Limey
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Wayne,

....how about a wrap of paper or teflon tape around the bullet where it fits into the case mouth?...........just enough to give you a snug bullet fit in the case mouth but not enough to give you bullet/bore problems.

Safe shooting,

Limey

Wayne Smith
01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Took the gun to the range. Basically a function test. All the holes, at 50yds, are round. Took a while to get used to the single set trigger, but with two of us shooting it, some off hand, some from a rest, and with tiny sights we put them all on the target and all but two (really off because of the trigger) in the bull area, about 10". When concentrating I could put them into a 3" area easily. This with no neck tension!

Two cases and two bullets were sent off to Lee today with a check for Custom dies - I went looking for a custom Factory Crimp die and right above that they listed custom die sets for only $54.00 so I did.

At least I know my bullet shoots and doesn't tumble at 50yds!