PDA

View Full Version : pistol/revolver shotshell loads

Wilsknife
08-10-2021, 03:57 PM
I am attempting to create a .380 shotshell that will cycle to put a bullet in the chamber for the second shot.
This is happening with a Ruger LCP.

What I've tested so far is:
1.9 grains of Unique, 50-grain shot capsule( cut down to 1/2")(#9 shot), OAL = 0.90", fired but did not eject shell or cycle,
and
2.5 grains of Unique, 50-grain shot capsule( cut down to 1/2")(#9 shot), OAL = 0.90", fired but did not eject shell or cycle.

So far, what has happened is that I've got a single shot 380 shotgun that does not eject the spent shell.

I'm looking for a load that will do that.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 8-)

My reason for doing this is the plethora of feral dogs(and other aggressive forest creatures) in this area. At least with a shotshell I might slow them down enough to not get bit.

TIA 8-)

Rfeustel
08-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Hi - there’s a specific forum for shotshell loads for pistols. I learned a lot from it for making 45 Auto shotshell loads. Did you look there?

W.R.Buchanan
08-10-2021, 05:26 PM
You could always treat it like a Type 1 Malfunction and just rack the slide to chamber the next round?

It goes really fast if you practice it,,, and you really need to practice it anyway, as part of your pistol training.

All guns malfunction and we need to know how to fix them instinctively. You first learn how to do it,,, then you practice.

I think you are already there, you just need to adjust your operational thinking.

Randy

Wilsknife
08-10-2021, 07:12 PM
Didn't know it existed 8-)

W.R.Buchanan
08-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Go here https://www.frontsight.com/gun-training-manuals.asp Buy the 4 day Defensive Handgun Dry Practice Training Manual.

This will introduce you to all of the actions and techniques used in Defensive Handgun use. If you are carrying for Self Defense it is kind of a good idea to now how to run the gun.

From your OP I gather you want a shotshell first in line to possibly deter an attacker? Fine, Since the cartridges you are loading don't have enough Umph to cycle the action, (and I doubt you can load any that will) you are stuck with Racking the Slide to chamber the next round. This should take less than 1 second.

The Type 1 Malfunction is called "failure to fire," and can be caused by a couple of things like a dud round, or more commonly no round in the chamber. In your case it would be the same as a Squib Round and the only way to fix it is to Rack a fresh round into the chamber.

During training and after drilling this you pull the trigger and the gun goes "Click." (also known as "the loudest sound in a gunfight.") and you instinctively hit the bottom of the magazine to insure it is seated, then roll your hand over the top and rack the slide to introduce a new round, then back on sights and trigger.

I realize that and LCP is a pretty stiff little gun to operate, but It only gets better if you practice.

hope this helps you out.

Randy