PDA

View Full Version : How to heat a T/C hammer spur for bending

Buzzard II
08-10-2021, 01:50 PM
I am putting together a Thompson Center Renegade with a Hoyt T/C barrel opened up from .50 caliber to .58 caliber. I need to heat and bend the hammer SPUR so it will clear a scope. What should I heat the hammer(off the gun in a padded vice) spur with ---a propane torch or a Mapp Pro torch (they don't use Mapp gas anymore-the Mapp Pro replaces it). I know to heat it to dull red, but which torch should I use? T/C was sold out and does not have any side lock parts anymore. Thanks to all the brave souls who have done this and are willing to lend assistance to me! :redneck:
Bob

Tom_in_AZ
08-10-2021, 01:51 PM
Not sure, I know a lot of muzzleloaders have MIM hammers….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldracer
08-10-2021, 02:14 PM
I have had to bend 4 different hammers, in various places and my mentor told me that heating should not be needed at all. He said to make sure the hammer is very secure in the vice and use aluminum jaw covers to prevent gouging the metal. Make sure to bend a slight amount and try fitting, bend again if needed and repeat.
John

LAGS
08-10-2021, 03:51 PM
I have bent several hammers without heating them up.
But that was for minor Alignment issues to get the cup to line up to the nipple better.
But I found that to bend over the spur to clear a scope , I did have to heat up the spur but not Glowing Cherry Red.
I used aluminum angle plates to clamp the hammer in the vise jaws.
I can remember using a section of steel tubing that slipped over the spur to bend it in the direction I wanted as well as a set of pliers with the jaws ground smooth.
The spur was bent over to the right so it stuck out to clear the side of the scope.
You might want to pick up a used hammer to play with off Ebay.
That way you have an original hammer if you ever want to remove the scope and restore the rifle to original condition.
There are also Two Styles of Spurs on TC hammers.
One has the spur pointing almost straight up.
The other the spur is curved back a little bit more.
Both work.
I did one hammer with a regular propane torch , but it just took a little longer to heat up.
The Mapp Gas Torch worked good and was easier to monitor the heat over using an welding torch.
If you are not experienced with heating and bending metal , just practice on a piece of 3/8" steel rod or an old bolt.