PDA

View Full Version : Little Black Ants

Mal Paso
08-10-2021, 11:51 AM
Little Black Ants showed up a couple months ago. I've tried the liquid traps from the hardware store and nothing. They got into breakfast this morning so I thought I'd ask the brain trust. How do I get rid of them?

XDROB
08-10-2021, 11:53 AM
I've always had luck with the liquid traps. Had to use two at once last time. But no sign of them again. Yet.

As mentioned below. The traps I used were Terri (yellow) I believe.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

zarrinvz24
08-10-2021, 11:54 AM
Are they sugar ants?

JoeG52
08-10-2021, 11:57 AM
I have had very good luck with the TERRO liquid bait stations. They are not traps but as soon as I set one near their path they change their route and head to the bait station. They keep coming for a day or so until the bait has killed them but then that is it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4GACB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mal Paso
08-10-2021, 12:11 PM
I just looked. Terro liquid bait stations is what I used. The first time activity was down for a day but they were right back.

Are they sugar ants?

I know they like sugar and pork. and now hash browns.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Pray that you never get Japanese fire ants.

farmbif
08-10-2021, 12:46 PM
there is this liquid stuff that comes in a big syringe, can't remember what it is but they used to have it in Lowes , same stuff used by Orkin when I had my house tented for termites and a week later black ants everywhere , the Orrin tech told me they were after the termite larvae. just a few dabs in the trails of the black ants and they were gone in about a week.
boric acid is another thing that will kill bugs and ants without poisoning you.
there is also diatomaceous earth, you want food grade. its smaller or different composition than the stuff for pool filters

farmbif
08-10-2021, 12:51 PM
this might be the stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Syngenta-68078-Advion-Singular-Tube/dp/B08C3PPYSV/ref=asc_df_B08C3PPYSV/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475855672054&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16276119221761605529&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010270&hvtargid=pla-1145706096231&psc=1

jcren
08-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Sounds like sweet ants. The terro works until the sugar water bait gels and skins over, then they loose interest. I mix my own with sugar water (hummingbird mix) and boric acid (borax flux/laundry additive). Drop or two on a scrap of paper and they come running. Freshen daily.

Winger Ed.
08-10-2021, 01:18 PM
I've had great luck with any and all of the products made by Terro and Bengal.

This reminded me of something that happened back in the 80s when I worked at the auto. paint store:

The store was in a strip shopping center, and had windows across the entire front.
I was at the counter in the front, and saw these two women pull up in a big, new Mercedes.
They got out and were dressed like they stopped on their way to the Academy Awards.

Even through they would be 20 feet away from their car on the other side of a wall of clear glass,
they went through a ritual of locking their car up, then checking all the doors.

I was a little stunned. We normally didn't have women in luxury cars, wearing obviously very expensive clothes, and
wearing a double handful of diamond jewelry come into the car paint and body shop supply store.

They came in, after making sure no one else was within earshot, one leaned over the counter, and asked me,
"What's the best way to kill roaches"?

I'm not sure what possessed me to say it, but I quietly told them, "I boil them alive like you would do a lobster".

They looked at me like I was a nut, and without another word, they very quickly left.

waksupi
08-10-2021, 01:23 PM
I mix boric acid with sugar. They take it back to the nest, and kills all of them.

Freischütz
08-10-2021, 01:57 PM
Continue using bait stations, but also find the ants’ entry to your home. Spray that with Triazicid or something similar. Once the newcomers stop arriving your bait stations should finish off whatever is already in the house.

In my case a fence was like a superhighway to the house. Spraying the fence finished the ants. Several people told me that trees touching the house are a good entry way too.

fc60
08-10-2021, 03:29 PM
I mix boric acid with sugar. They take it back to the nest, and kills all of them.

Greetings,

How much of each? I have Boric Acid, Sugar and water.

Need to know the ratios.

Cheers,

Dave

Bmi48219
08-10-2021, 04:00 PM
We get small black ants, brown carpenter ants and the tiny crazy ants at different times. The Terro works on small black & crazy ants. Carpenter ants get the “ant & termite” injectable foam spray.
You’ll have more success if you discover where they’re getting in. When you see them in an area watch the path they’re using. At one end or the other they are entering. That’s where you want to bait, or for carpenter ants inject the access point several days in a row then seal it up.
Carpenter ants like damp wood to burrow into. Check for soft spots in trim boards and areas that are getting mold.
And as others said, I’ve backtracked ants that were using the one single tree leaf that touched the house to cross from the yard to an outside wall then in to the home.
Every 3 months I treat a 2 foot perimeter along the outside walls with Spectrom Tryacide sprayer (not sure of the spelling) attached to garden hose.
Diatomaceous earth works too until it gets damp or wet. Not much luck with it outdoors.

fastdadio
08-10-2021, 04:07 PM
I spray around the entire exterior of my house. 3 ft up, to 3 ft out, and most of the rest of my yard with Bifen I/T. twice a summer season.

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-226.html?msclkid=5e658fb9b78d185eee0deeab6c921915&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+Shopping+-+Professional+Pest+Control+%28Top+Terms%29&utm_term=4580977765340268&utm_content=Professional+Pest+Control+%28Top+Terms %29&sub_id=11662
I don't have any bugs, of any kind, anywhere. It's illegal in New York, so you know it has to be good.

Duckiller
08-10-2021, 05:06 PM
Two pairs of banty chickens will make you ant free and provide small eggs.

gwpercle
08-10-2021, 06:18 PM
For the small black ants that show up , first outside around and in the dish I feed the cat (wet cat food)usually summer , winter the cat eat /stay inside , I don't if they are crazy or sugar or what ...just very small and black and they don't sting like the big nasty Fire (Red) Ants ... when I see them
I sprinkle all around the outside perimeter of the house with Amdro Fire Ant Bait granules . I also use the stuff on fire ants , they pick it up and carry it back into the nest ...sprinkle some on the ant mounds in the yard when they appear ... works great on fire ants and mounds .
Tried it on the black ants once when another brand of "Bait Station" that supposedly was for black ants didn't do Doodly-Squat to them - big waste of money . So... I Sprinkled Amdro lightly around and the little black beggars disappeared ... Awesome !!! I Usually have to do it twice a year but the Amdro works on both red fire and little black , so I keep a bottle handy and feed them all .
So far they haven't gotten inside my house .
Gary

Gewehr-Guy
08-10-2021, 06:21 PM
I have mixed 1 spoonfull Mule Team Borax and 3 spoons sugar into a plastic soda bottle,added a few drops water to it, and shook it to mix.
Then the bottles were laid on top of some pretty big anthills, and they carried the mixture back down into the hill. After a couple weeks all ant activity stopped. I think if you sprinkled that mixture around the foundation, and on pieces of paper where you see ant activity, they will eventually take it down into the colony and die

Mal Paso
08-10-2021, 06:49 PM

How much of each and do you add water.

Amazon also has boric acid Suppositories but the ants are awfully small.

Three44s
08-10-2021, 06:59 PM

If you try that please video the procedure and share it ‘cause politics is getting very disturbing to watch and we are due for some good old DIY lessons and some chuckles lately!

Best regards

Three44s

Acorn
08-10-2021, 07:37 PM

Ha Ha! LOL!!

jcren
08-10-2021, 10:12 PM
Lol, suppository may be a bit much, I use 2 sugar to 1 of the old "20 mule strong" Borax laundry powder. Enough water to disolve into syrup.

rbuck351
08-10-2021, 10:20 PM
I use little bait stakes. The name on the box is ANT SHIELD by Spectracide. The box comes with six silver dollar sized bait stations with a small spike on the bottom. I had the red and black ants crawling up and down my outside chimney. One bait station placed at the bottom knocked the activity down about half the first day. Maybe 5% left the second day and none on the third day.
I used a second one on another bunch a few days later with similar results. It's supposed to last for up to 3 months. It contains .05% indoxacarb.

Minerat
08-10-2021, 10:44 PM
This is the stuff I use. It seems to get them all. Sometimes you need 2 treatments but it works and does not take much. A Teaspoon on a hill gets them all. I got it at Home Depot.

AMDRO-Block-Home-Perimeter-Granules

45workhorse
08-10-2021, 10:48 PM
I've had great luck with any and all of the products made by Terro and Bengal.

This reminded me of something that happened back in the 80s when I worked at the auto. paint store:

The store was in a strip shopping center, and had windows across the entire front.
I was at the counter in the front, and saw these two women pull up in a big, new Mercedes.
They got out and were dressed like they stopped on their way to the Academy Awards.

Even through they would be 20 feet away from their car on the other side of a wall of clear glass,
they went through a ritual of locking their car up, then checking all the doors.

I was a little stunned. We normally didn't have women in luxury cars, wearing obviously very expensive clothes, and
wearing a double handful of diamond jewelry come into the car paint and body shop supply store.

They came in, after making sure no one else was within earshot, one leaned over the counter, and asked me,
"What's the best way to kill roaches"?

I'm not sure what possessed me to say it, but I quietly told them, "I boil them alive like you would do a lobster".

They looked at me like I was a nut, and without another word, they very quickly left.

Of course you told them about melted butter, right?

Thanks for the good laugh!

starnbar
08-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Tobacco dust will get rid of anything that crawls but be very careful it is deadly on just about anything that comes in contact with it. I/E pets, plants, birds, people.

farmbif
08-11-2021, 09:33 AM
several years ago I got a big box 50lbs I think of boric acid from an online place that got started big online selling chemicals for people making bio diesel. its much finer powder and a bit different than borax. I take a few cans full a couple times a year and sprinkle it around outside edge of house. I don't have any bugs or ants. it doesn't bother the cats and kills mold too.

gwpercle
08-11-2021, 10:57 AM
This is the stuff I use. It seems to get them all. Sometimes you need 2 treatments but it works and does not take much. A Teaspoon on a hill gets them all. I got it at Home Depot.

AMDRO-Block-Home-Perimeter-Granules

The Amdro I use is called Amdro " Fire Ant Bait" dual action granules attracts and kills .
It works on both the small black and fire ants ...it's the best ant killer I know of .

If you want Boric Acid , check the drug store ... it has many medicinal uses and is finer and would be a better product to use with sugar for pest control than Laundry Borax .
Gary

Mal Paso
08-11-2021, 11:58 AM
Thanks! I have Fire Ant Bait and boric acid on the way. Syngenta changed a couple years ago and the reviews declined so I passed, the original product was evidently very good.

I used to have a small round cardboard container of boric acid that went with an eyewash cup from the 50s. I had forgotten it was used to disinfect.

waksupi
08-11-2021, 12:18 PM

I just mix it dry around 50/50.

You are correct, it is difficult to put the suppositories in the ants!

waksupi
08-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Two pairs of banty chickens will make you ant free and provide small eggs.

They sure make a mess in the house, though!

Land Owner
08-12-2021, 07:29 AM
Try Permethrin, the synthetic derivative of the chrysanthemum flower, and the active insecticide ingredient that is sold by several Mfgs in differing percentages. The highest I have found is Hi-Yield 38 (38% permethrin). I spray it on my hunting clothes, diluted with water to 0.50% concentration. This is the same as the U.S. Army impregnates into its Deep Jungle Camo.

Permethrin KILLS all biting, probing, flying, and most crawling insects (i.e. MOSQUITOS, ants, wasps, house and horse flies, fleas, ticks, TERMITES, etc.), is NON-TOXIC to humans, is deactivated by skin enzymes (and why it is not recommended for use on skin), persists effectively (even after multiple washings) on clothing, is picked up dry when the bugs crawl across or attempt to probe through clothing or sprayed areas, or are sprayed directly with permethrin.

It attacks the insect's central nervous system (like LSD - they cannot turn it off and die "high as ****" by OD). I spray the base boards and screened porch outdoor carpeting where for four years we keep (and free fly) three exotic birds, four cats, and a wirehaired terrier. I spray the screens, dirt/house interface (perimeter), planters get higher dosing and several times I have killed termites, the whole nest (or so I believe), infesting yard mulch in planters against the house BEFORE those buggers became a problem.

Here are three Hi-Yield 38 labels (gallon, quart, quart), a link to PDF directions for use, and link to the Material Safety Data Sheet...

https://i.postimg.cc/3rZGZVcG/HI-YIELD-38-x-1-GAL-sm.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/jdd73cpF/HI-YIELD-38-x-1-QT-sm1.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/J46BfJm4/HI-YIELD-38-x-1-QT-sm2.jpg

DIRECTIONS FOR HI-YIELD 38 (http://pestcontroloutlet.com/content/HiYield38.pdf)

MSDS for HI-YIELD 38 (https://www.domyown.com/msds/HY%2038%20Plus%20Turf_msds.pdf)

Excel spreadsheet for any product dilution to any percentage.
This one is titled PERMETHRIN - but the spreadsheet is not (nor does it have to be) specific to any product or percentage.

BamaNapper
08-12-2021, 04:52 PM
I've used the liquid Terro in the house for years, and will typically put down Amdro or similar around the perimeter of the house once or twice a year. Mostly the ants are under control, but this year the wife discovered something interesting.

It was mid-morning and both of us had taken our showers. The missus was cleaning the shower and noticed a trail of the small sweet feeding ants we typically see in the house, probably a hundred or more as you might imagine. Her thought was to clean the shower then put out the Terro to get rid of them. She straightened up the products in the shower and sprayed the walls with the daily shower spray you use to avoid water spots. When she looked down, every last one of the ants was dead. Nothing moving. When she looked near the shower door, those were dead as well even though she hadn't directly sprayed there. She wiped up the carcasses and when she checked back later there were no new ants in sight. Shower spray as an ant killer/deterrent? What could be better than a cleaning product that safely doubles as an insecticide?

Anyway, fast-forward 6 months or so and we've had a few more occasions to try the spray. We've used it in the kitchen, the garage, and on the patio. Every time we've tried it, it has worked. A couple quick sprays and the little buggers are history. They stop moving immediately. We ordered an 8-pack of bottles from Amazon figuring they'll change the formula. The brand we're using is Method Eucalyptus and Mint spray. The stuff is dirt cheap, smells pretty good, and probably even helps keep the shower clean if you're into that sort of thing. I couldn't tell you what's in it that does the trick, the label reads like a chemical supply house menu.

AZ Pete
08-12-2021, 08:42 PM
that is good information. The thing I like about the gel, though, is that the ants take it back to the nest, where it will kill all of the colony.....guess I am kind of vengeful.