PDA

View Full Version : What the heck? Boolits tumbling?

Idaho45guy
08-09-2021, 09:37 PM
Went to the range today to try out four new 10mm load recipes and to burn up some old reloads.

Got to the range and realized I had forgotten the new reloads...

So, decided to shoot the old stuff for groups. Now, these were some of my first reloads for the pistol a few years ago and some of my first attempts at casting my own boolits.

Data on the box said they were 180 grain and using 7.0 grains of WSF.

First shot was to the right. Second shot was to the left and hit the target sideways. Next three shots were all close to the first shot. This was at 25 yards.

Pistol is a Gen 4 Glock G29 with a KKM Precision 4.5" barrel.

Then fired 10 rounds at 7 yards and had the very first shot tumble, then it looks like a couple more tumbled as well. Also, had failure to go into battery three times and one jam.

Obviously, I really messed up those loads. Fired some reloads using Hornady XTPs and no issues.

No idea what I messed up back then, but I have not had issues with any of my newer reloads. Who knows what I forgot or messed up back then?

I know that being undersized tends to cause tumbling, but pretty sure all those were ran through the same sizer, unless I cast a few that were just undersized to begin with?

Any guesses?

Dan Cash
08-09-2021, 09:40 PM
Bullets too small.

Winger Ed.
08-09-2021, 09:43 PM
My guess would be possibly under sized, but if the slide didn't go into battery--
I'd think they might also be on the slow side and not kick the slide open far enough not to get a good running start to load & close.

Idaho45guy
08-09-2021, 11:09 PM
I'd think they might also be on the slow side and not kick the slide open far enough not to get a good running start to load & close.

Not slow, since they are pretty close to max with 7.0 grains of WSF. They felt pretty dang stout. Has to be some undersized bullets. Ran five of them through the stock barrel at 25 yards and none tumbled.

Idaho45guy
08-10-2021, 02:16 AM
Shot the same rounds, but with a stock barrel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTsnqN-dpPE

Sasquatch-1
08-10-2021, 07:46 AM
I have an old Desert Eagle in .44 mag. Not the same gun but might have the same problem. With polygonal rifling if pushed fast with lead, which you have to do with the DE, the bullet will not grip the rifling thus the tumble. I would guess that with the 10 mm as opposed to a .40 S&W you are going to fast.

JimB..
08-10-2021, 07:51 AM
How’d the barrel look? Leading?

44MAG#1
08-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Not slow, since they are pretty close to max with 7.0 grains of WSF. They felt pretty dang stout. Has to be some undersized bullets. Ran five of them through the stock barrel at 25 yards and none tumbled.

I'm simple minded so forgive me, if you can.
I would use the stock barrel myself.

Idaho45guy
08-11-2021, 06:34 PM
How’d the barrel look? Leading?

Yep. Lots of leading. More with the stock barrel than the KKM.

JimB..
08-11-2021, 07:31 PM
Yep. Lots of leading. More with the stock barrel than the KKM.

So probably undersized as stated above. Could be the alloy, could be that you were casting really hot, could be that you grabbed the wrong sizing die. If the new casts are working well I’d forget about it.

Idaho45guy
08-11-2021, 10:41 PM
So probably undersized as stated above. Could be the alloy, could be that you were casting really hot, could be that you grabbed the wrong sizing die. If the new casts are working well I’d forget about it.

Thanks!