PDA

View Full Version : melting down coated bullets?

Shadow9mm
08-09-2021, 07:16 PM
So I have some factory hi-tek coated cast bullets that have been a bit problematic. Its a long story and a rabbit trail that I would prefer not to go down but I really do not want to use them. In any case my question is, can I just melt them down to make new bullets? What will happen the the coating? Will it burn up so I can just skim it off the top once it is all melted? any safety issues melting the lead down or burning the coating off?

I'm still learning and will be doing a basic powder coat with my bullets, and suspect I may run into this or a similar issue again in the future as I am learning.

kbstenberg
08-09-2021, 07:29 PM
There is no problem remelting PC or Hi-Tec coated bullets.
No it doesn't burn. It just floats on top of the melt.

StuBach
08-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Never worried about throwing coated/lubed bullets into the pot. Just acts as additional flux from what I’ve read but for sure won’t hurt anything.

Shadow9mm
08-09-2021, 07:44 PM
There is no problem remelting PC or Hi-Tec coated bullets.
No it doesn't burn. It just floats on top of the melt.

perfect, thank you!

405grain
08-09-2021, 07:59 PM
Like everybody, I've made mistakes and had to send some back to the pot. There's no problem remelting PC'd boolits, except that the PC smells like a chunk of carpet melting in the microwave while getting a home perm! Other than that there's no issues. Just flux like normal and skim off the junk that's left over on the top. The only heartache I get about having to send a batch of PC'd boolits back through the melt is all them gas checks going to waste.:(

fredj338
08-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Its one of the great things about casting your own, no evidence of your mistakes & you are recycling.