PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 penetration

Dom
08-09-2021, 04:50 PM
Was out in the field this morning hauling in fire wood. two big trailer loads. After unloading decided to have some fun. Just how would my 38-55 260gr LBT bullet , cast from scrap WW ( BHN 10.5 ) & PC, penetrate.So, picked out a piece of Spruce that's been down about a month. A decent size log, about 8 pr so lbs. Rested in on top of an old stump at 70yds. My load of IMR-4198 drives this bullet at just over 1600 fps,according to my chrono. At the crack of the rifle, my target log jumped up & back every bit of 3'. When I tried to split the log open to reveal the bullet, it split part of the way & then just bent like a piece of rubber. That Spruce log was gnarly tough , like an old boot. Tried splitting from the opposite end, with the same result. Finally cut thru the remainder with my band saw. Ended up cutting right thru the middle of the bullet. Anything that can go wrong, will. The bullet penetrated a solid 7". Weighted the two pieces & it was 221gr. I'm sure I lost a good 5 or 6 grs from sawing. Pictures show the story. What did I prove? Not trying to prove any thing. Just for fun. You can decided your own conclusion. 287315287316287317

rintinglen
08-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Well, I'll say one thing. If ever I am attacked by a spruce, I'll want something with greater penetration to meet the FBI Standard Protocols,

08-09-2021, 08:26 PM
This kind of stuff gives you a real world idea about the power in your load. Scientific, heck no. Still you can relate to the load and the results. It's better to know than not know.

Texas by God
08-09-2021, 08:31 PM
Heck yeah, neat! And pictures! I use the Lee bullet in mine and I’ll try it on Pecan and Mesquite now.
I have a Blue Spruce in the yard but I dare not try it.......

richhodg66
08-09-2021, 08:44 PM
I load wimp loads in my 38-55 but that thing sure is fun for 100 yard target shooting.

I'll probably take it deer hunting one day, and when I decide to do it, I'll develop a powerful load, but won't load or shoot many.

That Lee bullet has been a good one in my experience.

AlaskaMike
08-09-2021, 09:04 PM
Always love seeing informal tests like this. Thanks for posting it!

BunkTheory
08-10-2021, 01:21 AM
how would that compare to say water jugs or black bear skull

farmbif
08-10-2021, 07:36 AM
ive got a very large sycamore that ive been shooting at for years-in fact ive been thinking of taking it down-with the 444 marlin,
maybe not, its at least 2' wide, but this winter I will probably cut it down and make it into firewood. its getting to the point where it interferes with my sat dishes, will be interesting to see the lead that imbedded in it

Jedman
08-10-2021, 08:25 AM
I use to cut and split all of my firewood by hand with several mauls I had. I once cut down a tree that had bark that looked like a black cherry but the leaves looked more like a maple. That wood was the toughest unsplitable stuff I ever have run into. I would take a smaller diameter piece 6 or 7 inches and whack it time after time ay least a dozen times and the maul would bounce off of it leaving a small cut maybe 1/4” deep.
I would have liked to try penetration tests with that stuff just to see what a bullet / load would do ?
I think for DG bollits if you could get 6”” penetration in that stuff you would really have something !

My one largest strongest grandson who won the heavyweight wrestling title in MI, hit a piece of this wood 20 + times with one of those 20 pound mauls that no one else will use and never got the log to split. It was so tough it would hardly burn in a hot �� fire. ???

Jedman

Dom
08-10-2021, 09:32 AM
I realize it is not scientific shooting into the ends of logs, but it sure is fun.

Jedman
08-10-2021, 10:03 AM
I realize it is not scientific shooting into the ends of logs, but it sure is fun.

It sure is cheaper than buying ballistic jell and once you have a idea of how well a certain type of boolit penetrates you have a standard for others.

Jedman

beechbum444
08-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Just curious if Spruce season is already open ???

Dunross
08-10-2021, 03:37 PM
I'd be afraid to shoot a piece of old, dry Live Oak heartwood with a cast bullet for fear of where the bullet would bounce. In the days of wooden hulled ships it was favored for its toughness. I know it'll make a new saw chain throw sparks so if I must cut it I only cut it to lengths that I can move rather than shorter pieces. It's a serious blade duller.

Alstep
08-12-2021, 02:41 PM
I use to cut and split all of my firewood by hand with several mauls I had. I once cut down a tree that had bark that looked like a black cherry but the leaves looked more like a maple. That wood was the toughest unsplitable stuff I ever have run into. I would take a smaller diameter piece 6 or 7 inches and whack it time after time ay least a dozen times and the maul would bounce off of it leaving a small cut maybe 1/4” deep.
I would have liked to try penetration tests with that stuff just to see what a bullet / load would do ?
I think for DG bollits if you could get 6”” penetration in that stuff you would really have something !

My one largest strongest grandson who won the heavyweight wrestling title in MI, hit a piece of this wood 20 + times with one of those 20 pound mauls that no one else will use and never got the log to split. It was so tough it would hardly burn in a hot �� fire. ???

Jedman

We have trees around here that's similar. Only grows on the hilltops. Gets to 8 or 10" diameter and dies off. Takes many years to get that big. Real nasty on chain saw chain. Ax bounces right off, no way you're gonna sink an ax into that stuff. So dense it doesn't even float.

ddixie884
08-12-2021, 07:42 PM
7" of green solid log is probably = to 10 or 12, 7/8" pine boards in a baffle 1" apart that is pretty good for a cast bullet load in a 100yr old lever caliber.......