PDA

View Full Version : .44 Eras Gone Kerr

lonewolf172
08-09-2021, 03:56 PM
Is anyone casting these 226grs Kerr bullets?

Nobade
08-09-2021, 06:43 PM
Yes, I shoot them in my '58 Remington replica and Ruger Old Army. Quite effective and carries enough lube to keep from fouling out, unlike their Colt Richmond labs bullet in 36 cal. I haven't made any cartridges with them yet, just shot loose.

Tar Heel
08-09-2021, 06:54 PM
Wonderful bullets both nekked and as paper cartridges. They self-center wonderfully. Use them in the Colt and Remington as well as the ROA.

287318 287319

bedbugbilly
08-10-2021, 09:08 PM
I don't have the Kerr mould but I do have the .44 Johnston & Dow mold - shoots well out of my Remington and Colt clones.

I like what he has put out. The .36 Colt Cartridge boolit shoots well out of my 36s - also have the .44 Dragoon mold but won't br casting that one until I get back to AZ this winter - anxious to try them in my Uberti 3rd model Dragoon and see what I can do as far as killing cans at longer distances.

I also have his .50 Smith mold - drops great boolits and I like using the original design.

Tar Heel - nice looking cartridges!

Just curious - anyone have the .36 Richmond mold? Currently out of stock but want to try one when he gets them in. Interested in hearing how they shoot and maybe Tar Hell and Nobade could tell us how the .44 Kerr boolit performs - powder charge they are using, how they group at what distance, etc.?

Tar Heel - do you notice any real variance in accuracy between loading with loose powder/boolit/lube as opposed to loading with your cartridge? I don't think I have ever really mention if they have or not.

Thanks

Jim

Tar Heel
08-11-2021, 05:12 AM
Just curious - anyone have the .36 Richmond mold? Currently out of stock but want to try one when he gets them in.

I shoot the 36 as well. It's off to work for me right now but I will address your questions later this evening.

Tar Heel
08-12-2021, 06:57 PM
I don't have the Kerr mould but I do have the .44 Johnston & Dow mold - shoots well out of my Remington and Colt clones.

I like what he has put out. The .36 Colt Cartridge boolit shoots well out of my 36s - also have the .44 Dragoon mold but won't br casting that one until I get back to AZ this winter - anxious to try them in my Uberti 3rd model Dragoon and see what I can do as far as killing cans at longer distances.

I also have his .50 Smith mold - drops great boolits and I like using the original design.

Tar Heel - nice looking cartridges!

Just curious - anyone have the .36 Richmond mold? Currently out of stock but want to try one when he gets them in. Interested in hearing how they shoot and maybe Tar Hell and Nobade could tell us how the .44 Kerr boolit performs - powder charge they are using, how they group at what distance, etc.?

Tar Heel - do you notice any real variance in accuracy between loading with loose powder/boolit/lube as opposed to loading with your cartridge? I don't think I have ever really mention if they have or not.

Thanks

Jim

I'm sorry to not have pictures of actual targets but after shooting a bunch of these conicals naked and as cartridges, the naked ones are most accurate. Add the lubricated felt wad and you get the most accuracy. Bear in mind that today we measure accuracy with dial calipers and microscopes. In the days past, these guns served a very different purpose. They were actually meant to shoot at people about 15 yards away or closer. Hitting a man-sized target very quickly and very close was the standard. Powder and lead were not wasted on "target practice" or range trips with friends.

Now all that being said, round balls w/lubricated felt wads are the most accurate bullets I have fired from the C&B revolvers. If you forced me to pick a conical, it would be the Kerr since it loads in most Italian reproductions without any frame modifications and it centers so well in the chamber mouth. It also drops down far enough when set in the mouth to be able to rotate under most (unmodified) loading rams.

For grouping I put a target at 25 yards and shoot at it until I get tired or the gun gums up. I mostly shoot 30gr of FFF in the 44 or a tad less with the wad. I don't measure to the grain, I just fill the chamber so the bullet is slightly below the mouth.

For the 36, I shoot the Colt Cartridge bullet, not the Richmond. I jumped the gun on my response and thought you meant the Colt bullet. It was too early in the morning for me. All of the aforementioned is applicable to the Colt Cartridge bullet as well. The Richmond Labs bullet should center quite well but I have hesitated ordering it due to I think I have enough conical molds right now.

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on it if you do get yourself one. I hope you do. I have really had fun with these historical conicals and making paper cartridges. Funny how history repeats itself!

Found a photo of the Kerr bullet in a Uberti 1860 at 25 yards. This is 36 shots.

Found another! Top group is the Johnston & Dow naked. Bottom group is the Kerr naked. Range is 25 yards. Shot from a rest. Colt 1860.

Obviously either of these groups would get the job done in the Civil War, in combat, at combat ranges. I believe 25 yards is asking a lot from these revolvers to be comparing them with modern centerfire groups of quarter size.