PDA

View Full Version : New rat trap

Wolfdog91
08-08-2021, 08:45 PM
So gf had a weseal in the chicken coop and wanted to live trap it. Which kinda confused me since she said they would kill it anyway, I mean I wooden box with a rat trap.....any way the little tractor supply ones where not working so I went and built this little guy.
Double powered doors 6x6x32 treddel triggered 1x.5" mesh 9ga cattle panel frame

Well apparently it was someone pet ferret from up the road and a Owl got em before I could so I was just kinda stuck with this purpose built lil cage. They had barn rats though so after a little tinkering I decided to try it on them and holy crap ! This thing cats rats like crazy ! Even managed a double !

If it gets set it catches em. Trying to figure out why because I've set it side by side with other traps and they get caught in this before the others . Even put my trail cam on it and just just go right on in.
Work great on possums too but their hers (we've raised and released like 20 this year on her property) so they get a free pass after she looks em over lol
Thinking about making some biger ones for other critters

Thumbcocker
08-08-2021, 08:47 PM
Build a better mouse trap......

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

farmbif
08-08-2021, 09:20 PM
that's fantastic craftsmanship for a build from scratch trap. well done

contender1
08-09-2021, 08:57 AM
It looks great.

As a pro,, I don't have time to build a lot of traps from scratch. I do buy cage traps from TS & MODIFY them to work much better. And I also use the dual door Havahart traps,, which I also modify to work better. Rats, squirrels, & just about anything that will go into a trap,, will get caught. You just have to modify stuff to make them more efficient.

Looks like you built a nice one.

starnbar
08-09-2021, 10:13 AM
That is a nice build darn good workmanship bet you could sell abunch to the chicken farmers hey if you got time make a few for the hardware store sell em on consignment or trade for guns.

gwpercle
08-09-2021, 12:11 PM
There should be a big market for a good effective Wild Hog trap , I've seen acres of land rooted up by hogs and these big traps the hogs walk around but usually wont go into .
I thought the land had been plowed up for planting but it was hogs , in a State Park ... Poverty Point State Park , Louisiana ...so they couldn't shoot the hogs ...trappers were having a heck of a time trapping them ... Build a better Hog Trap and Poverty Point State Park should be more than interested .
I'm sure lots of landowners would like hogs trapped and removed ...they do a lot of damage to land and wildfowl .
Gary

Ural Driver
08-09-2021, 04:01 PM
That looks great! I use one of these:
https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=44491
Comes in steel and rust resistant steel, they are a bit pricey, but it don't miss......

472x1B/A
08-09-2021, 04:21 PM
Out standing job sir. As starnbar commented, if you have the time, could make some cash on the side.