PDA

View Full Version : Your retirement rifle and caliber

Camba
08-08-2021, 04:57 PM
As I get closer to retirement, I can’t help to think on the rifle and caliber combination that will allow me to continue my shooting sports without busting my retirement budget.
Assumptions:
1. You can buy your dream rifle before retirement. ( what action/make/model)
2. Caliber: something you would not break the bank when buying ammo. Reload equipment already bought. Componentes are readily available (brass, bullets, primers, etc).
3. Don’t forget recoil sensitivity for older and arthritis issues with some folks.

What your retirement rifle would be and what caliber?

M-Tecs
08-08-2021, 05:10 PM
Ar15 with a Geissele trigger with a Krieger 223 barreled upper for high precision and a 300 BlackOut upper for cast. The platform is basically modular so change it up easily and at low cost depending on your needs. Set up properly they are capable of of 1/4" to 3/8" MOA 10 shot groups or the can be a low cost blaster or even a lower cost blaster with a 22 LR adapter. They truly are Barbie Dolls of boys or erector sets for adults.

With a 458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster upper they can handle the big stuff.

I do have a soft spot for high end double rifles but those are not cost effective or practical.

I am retired and I do have all of the types of rifles most could want and yes the AR's will be the last ones I give up. They are suitable for target, hunting and self defense in a very cost effective modifiable platform.

For retirement I will be scratch building a couple of Winchester 1885's actions/rifles. The only purchased parts will be the barrel and possibly the sights.

dverna
08-08-2021, 05:43 PM
My "dream" rifle would not be plastic. I would opt for a Model 70 with wood stock even if it not the most accurate platform.

I am 70 and the caliber I use, and will continue to use, is .308. Cheap brass and available forever. Many styles of good accurate bullets and an OK cast caliber.

If I was very recoil sensitive, the .260 Remington. Brass can be formed from .308.

But if you only have one rifle at retirement you have not planned well at all and that is sad.

MT Gianni
08-08-2021, 06:10 PM
I have never been one to put off buying things until a specific date occurs. I also find I have more disposable income in retirement than before.
My bolt action 280 Rem needs a re-bbl so I would replace that gun.

Finster101
08-08-2021, 06:10 PM
A high end AR-10 in .243. I'll add that I would also like a really good quality thermal scope on it as well. Hogs, racoons and coyotes would be the main use. I know its a bit overkill for coons but I'm not pelt hunting. I have a chance to help keep a watermelon farm pest free.

2A-Jay
08-08-2021, 06:16 PM
My retirement rifles are my 03 Springfield and my Winchester model '94.

Camba
08-08-2021, 06:19 PM
I have many rifles and I plan to give them away to my kids and grand kids. The rest I will sell as needed. I will not afford to feed all the calibers I have to be picking one from my collection or a new one that I will devote most of my hunting time. I am fan of the 35 caliber rifles and I may pick one of those for my retirement rifle. While I am not yet retired, perhaps I can look for a nice quality European single shot rifle in a 35 caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas by God
08-08-2021, 06:26 PM
Perhaps one last Mauser 98 classic walnut and blued steel sporter in the wildcat 7.62x57mm. Because I always thought that it would be a perfect fit.

warren5421
08-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Browning or Winchester High Wall in .38-55, high grade wood, French finish and bank note engraved. Barrel twist to shoot up to 340 gr bullets paper patched or not. MVA Scope series 9000 and Creedmoor Rear/Front Mount Set, and#103 Long Range Buffalo Soule Sight with Spirit Level Windage Sight. Come to think about it I have most of that already, just need the French finish and bank note engraving and scope. A, I am retired!

farmbif
08-08-2021, 06:51 PM
I guess top of my wish I had one list would be a Barrett m98b. 338 Lapua mag, to reach out and touch things.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-08-2021, 06:57 PM
I built mine up myself. A .30-40 Krag in carbine configuration, but with a medium heavy barrel. Looks very much like a carbine, except I had to devise an unorthodox method of attaching the hand guard and make a barrel band from an old VZ-24 band. I like the Krag cartridge, can use boolits up to 220 gr. and will take any N. American game. Yup...there it sits in the gun locker. Probably will never kill anything more dangerous than paper or a can.

DG

Larry Gibson
08-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Took me a few years after retirement to finally build my "dream rifle". It is a 30-06 on a M70 CRF action with a 32" Broughton 12" twist barrel in a McMillan A5 stock. Scope is a 8x32 NightForce NXS. I shoot 178 match bullets at 3025 fps holding 1/2 moa at 300 yards with 10 shots.

sghart3578
08-08-2021, 08:27 PM
I just went through this having retired a few months ago.

I found a Marlin 1894 built in 1899. It is chambered in 32-20. It has a 24" octagon barrel. The previous owner had it restored. Great bluing and the wood refinished.

With my reloads it shoots 5 rounds into a 3" hole at 100 yards all day long. Easy on lead, easy on powder and long on class.

It is becoming my favorite rifle to shoot.

Best of luck in your retirement. It was the best thing I've ever done.

Steve in N CA

45-70marlin
08-08-2021, 09:08 PM
I retired almost 3 years ago. I needed a light, low recoiling rifle. Arthritis in my hands also is a problem. A few months ago I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 with a 20" barrel. I love this gun, cheap to shoot, easy to reload and cast bullets for. Gun is a bit over 5 pounds and very accurate out to 125 yards. I can shoot 38spc. Or the 357 magnum. I did a little smoothing on the action, plenty of videos on doing it. Gun is nice and one to think about.

Tim357
08-08-2021, 09:27 PM
I retired almost 3 years ago. I needed a light, low recoiling rifle. Arthritis in my hands also is a problem. A few months ago I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 with a 20" barrel. I love this gun, cheap to shoot, easy to reload and cast bullets for. Gun is a bit over 5 pounds and very accurate out to 125 yards. I can shoot 38spc. Or the 357 magnum. I did a little smoothing on the action, plenty of videos on doing it. Gun is nice and one to think about.
Read my mind... Good choice, good reasoning ��

Bad Ass Wallace
08-08-2021, 09:36 PM
My 'gift' to myself was a Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle!

https://i.imgur.com/chnKiwx.jpg

mattri
08-08-2021, 09:59 PM
https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-hartford-clone-en/

A nice Shiloh Sharps.

Can use it for general range shooting, competition or hunting. Can load it down to tame the recoil or hot for power.

koger
08-08-2021, 10:26 PM
Well since I am retired by neccesity, 3 strokes in one day, I am building my last gun I probably will ever build. It is a Remington Roller, Smokeless action, with a Green Mountain, tapered octagon 24" barrel in 7x57 Mauser. I will do the bluing, and am working on the stock and forearm. The stock and forearm are made from one piece of wood, 4AAAA curly maple, solid stripe from one end to the other every 1/4" apart. It will have a cheekpiece, and either a Schnabel forearm or a ebony tip. I will hot blue the metal, and stain the maple a dark mahogany/English red mix, which turns the stripe black, and will have a classic Rigby buttplate, checkered steel, that I will blue also. I will use a classic English oil finish on the stock, and expect it to take from 20-24 coats, hand rubbed. The barrel is installed, and the stock 90% finished, just need to get on the forearm, which is 80% inletted. I replaced several screws in the action. I have the trigger down to #2.5, crisp and smooth . I will be mounting a scope on this firearm, as I approach 60 years of age, and my eyes cant hold out forever. I have a base I machined out to match the countour of the chamber, and will likely mount a 3x9 x40 Leupold I have already, which should complement the whole package, or I might put a vinage Leupy 2x8 that I have on another rifle. I thought about putting sights on it, but the barrel looks so nice as it tapers and would look cluttered to my way of thinking. I think this would make a handy stalking rifle, or a nice rifle for blind sitting and should do well on deer, bear, elk or mule deer, If I am able to hunt them, out to about 300yds with a Sierra 139g BTSP moving along at a nice pace. I plan on having it completed, by firearms season here in KY.

skeettx
08-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Mine is Remington 40-x in 22 LR and finely tuned.
One hole groups at 50 yards.

So when I am more feeble someone can work the bolt for me
and I can pull the trigger :)

Markopolo
08-08-2021, 10:54 PM
a 308 built on a super slick mauser action, wood stock, and zeiss optic of good magnification... although I like don's version as well...

Win94ae
08-08-2021, 11:08 PM
The rifles I have now.

dh2
08-08-2021, 11:10 PM
I am retired and could never find the rifle I wanted, I have wanted a 7mm STW for years, so about 2 years ago I found a Rem 700 short chambered barrel, and ordered me a Magnum length Rem 700 action and set it in a houge stock put a Nikon scope on it. Factory brass and ammo is available. reloading dies are easy to find, depending on what you call heavy recoil that may be a problem . but for me it is a long range deer rifle of my dreams.

Gofaaast
08-08-2021, 11:25 PM
My first bolt action rifle was a 25-06. It would be one of the last in the safe if the herd had to be dispersed. I would lean .243 if starting with a blank canvas and deer was the largest game I hunted.

444ttd
08-09-2021, 01:22 AM
its either the 30-40 krag.....
https://i.imgur.com/DVr4IEx.jpg

or the 35/30 winchester
https://i.imgur.com/nBFtFB6.jpg

although i luv 9.3x57
https://i.imgur.com/xvwPkvd.jpg

richhodg66
08-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Way too hard for me to pin down a rifle I would want as my crown jewel rifle like that. Too many things I really want at some point to play with.

memtb
08-09-2021, 08:30 AM
I bought my retirement, “hunt all game game” rifle in 1989 (27 years before I retired).....with a divorce impending. I love the .375 caliber, for it’s practicality, popularly, and legal for most game worldwide including the big five. I had been using the .375 H&H since 1982, but wanted a lighter, more weather resistant, higher velocity, flatter shooting rifle/cartridge. So, I had a semi-custom rifle built. A .375 AI, Win. model 70 action, McMillan synthetic stock with Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, Douglas Match Grade SS 24” barrel with iron sights and sling swivel mounted on the barrel for a lower carry height. Total weight, scoped, loaded, and slung is 9 pounds 1 ounce.....a tolerable carry weight that also helps mitigate felt recoil.

I choose the AI, for the increased velocity and the capability of using standard factory .375 H&H ammo with minimal velocity loss. My present load is a 250 grain Barnes TTSX @ 3130 fps mv which gives me very usable ballistics out to (and well beyond) my 600 yard, self-imposed range limit! When I do my part, I can get sub 2”, 3 shot groups @ 300 yards. I’m looking forward to using up my present bunch of 250 TTSX’s and going to the Barnes 270 LRX, for it’s improved slightly heavier weight and it’s improved long range capabilities. It’slot’s been my “only” hunting rifle/cartridge since I received it February 1990.

If I wanted a very similar package today with minimal custom work....it would be a Kimber Talkeetna. Simply have a competent gunsmith run a chamber reamer in it to make the AI conversion, and you’re good to go!

I will say that, this is not a combo for those with shoulder issues or the recoil timid.....but, it’s not nearly as bad as most may think! Closing in on 70, only during load development will I exceed 20 rounds from the bench at one sitting (and take a couple of days off before the next session) for obvious reasons! ;) memtb

dverna
08-09-2021, 08:38 AM
Well since I am retired by neccesity, 3 strokes in one day, I am building my last gun I probably will ever build. It is a Remington Roller, Smokeless action, with a Green Mountain, tapered octagon 24" barrel in 7x57 Mauser. I will do the bluing, and am working on the stock and forearm. The stock and forearm are made from one piece of wood, 4AAAA curly maple, solid stripe from one end to the other every 1/4" apart. It will have a cheekpiece, and either a Schnabel forearm or a ebony tip. I will hot blue the metal, and stain the maple a dark mahogany/English red mix, which turns the stripe black, and will have a classic Rigby buttplate, checkered steel, that I will blue also. I will use a classic English oil finish on the stock, and expect it to take from 20-24 coats, hand rubbed. The barrel is installed, and the stock 90% finished, just need to get on the forearm, which is 80% inletted. I replaced several screws in the action. I have the trigger down to #2.5, crisp and smooth . I will be mounting a scope on this firearm, as I approach 60 years of age, and my eyes cant hold out forever. I have a base I machined out to match the countour of the chamber, and will likely mount a 3x9 x40 Leupold I have already, which should complement the whole package, or I might put a vinage Leupy 2x8 that I have on another rifle. I thought about putting sights on it, but the barrel looks so nice as it tapers and would look cluttered to my way of thinking. I think this would make a handy stalking rifle, or a nice rifle for blind sitting and should do well on deer, bear, elk or mule deer, If I am able to hunt them, out to about 300yds with a Sierra 139g BTSP moving along at a nice pace. I plan on having it completed, by firearms season here in KY.

That is an awesome project and I hope you can enjoy it for many years. The 7mm never gained the following it deserves here in the US. No need to anything more for most of the hunting we "peasants" can afford to do.

tdoor4570
08-09-2021, 08:42 AM
I just finished building my retirement rifle, started with a bubbed 1917 enfield that I picked up cheap , rechambered it to a 308 Norma mag, restocked it with a boyds lam stock in cayote put a 4x16x40 BSA mildot scope on it that I had. Now my kid wants it for elk season this year.

Screwbolts
08-09-2021, 01:15 PM
@ Camba, the type of or what type of hunting you plan on using the rifle for influence your choice of DR.

white eagle
08-09-2021, 01:38 PM
I was supposed to get a rifle for retirement? I'll have to remember that.
Actually retired bout 5 years ago. I will get a Kimber Hunter in 280 Ackley
weighing in at a touch under 6 #'s without scope.. :Fire:
Or a model 70 Super Grade in 35 Whelen or a Model 70
Featherweight in 220 Swift

imashooter2
08-09-2021, 03:03 PM
I retired last October. This spring I bought a 300 AAC Blackout upper. Plenty time consuming making brass. Low powder charge weights. Cast Bullet friendly. Low recoil. Hunting isn’t a concern for this rifle, but if it was it is as capable as a .30/30. I anticipate many pleasant hours of low cost range time.

imashooter2
08-09-2021, 03:11 PM

I love my 1894C for pretty much the same reasons. Leaps to the shoulder, points like a finger and ammo falls out of my SDB at 400 an hour.

Ural Driver
08-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Don't know yet......but I'm thinkin.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Retired 2004, still haven't found that perfect rifle, you know, weighs 6 lbs, shoots to 697 yards without holdover or dial spinning, puts a 50 caliber hole out the far side of the biggest bull quartering away at 500 yards while shooting under 0.5 MOA without perceptible recoil. Anybody have one of those? Do have a bunch of Savage 99's, Marlin's, 1911's, 22LR's, other stuff for fun. Still occasionally get that gotta buy something compulsion, I guess sort of like the ladies that have to shop. I keep thinking about a Mini-30, but with a 20" barrel and a handsome wood stock.

Camba
08-09-2021, 05:46 PM
I like the rifle capable to kill deer mostly under 100 yards with occasionally reaching 200 yds. Same rifle to punch paper and capable of low vel cast bullets for small game. Ultimately, been able to stretch my shooting years longer by keeping cost down on ammo.

James Wisner
08-09-2021, 06:48 PM
I built up a 300 BO a couple of years ago on a Rem 600 action with a Shilen barrel, WOW with the RCBS 30-165 sil, it will shoot better than I can hold, under 1 1/4" all day long.

That rifle is at the top of my to keep list.
J Wisner

Driver33
08-09-2021, 07:36 PM
I have a long, long way to retirement. But for deer at reasonable distances,punching paper, an fairly cheap to shot. Cz-527 chambered in 7.62×39 with good glass on top

dverna
08-09-2021, 07:54 PM
I like the rifle capable to kill deer mostly under 100 yards with occasionally reaching 200 yds. Same rifle to punch paper and capable of low vel cast bullets for small game. Ultimately, been able to stretch my shooting years longer by keeping cost down on ammo.

Primers cost the same no matter what caliber you shoot.
Cheap bullets mean cast...if you want to drive them past 1600 fps you will want gas checks
Cheap brass means calibers based on .308 or .223 cases if you want deer at up to 200 yards.

Seems to me my first suggestion... a .308 will get you what you want. Read about “the load”. Promo is the same as Red Dot but less expensive...I keep a minimum of 32 lbs in inventory for a reason.

A .358 would be a better cast round but difficult to find an inexpensive gun in that caliber. But you might find a .338 Federal no one wants and that would be sweet.

recumbent
08-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Vudoo model 360, 22LR

pworley1
08-09-2021, 08:02 PM
I retired in 2003 and my rifle was a Ruger #1 rsi in 7mm Mauser.

200grain
08-09-2021, 08:06 PM

As he approached 80 my father, a large man, found that a medium-light .243 Win worked well given his declining strength/shoulder.
Noting that the .243 Win cartridge is simply the necked-down .308 Win thus having similar case capacity, yet substantially less sharp recoil plus excellent deer-size game ballistics. Weight, balance, and shot-type (brush/open/rest/no-rest/careful aim or jump/snap-shots) are probably large factors in your selection, as well.
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/8-great-243-winchster-rifles-for-deer-varmints-and-more/
Alternatively, with/without recoil pad:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907274442
https://www.gunsamerica.com/906101349/SAVAGE-99-243-WINCHESTER-LEVER-ACTION.htm
https://www.iammo.com/guns/rifles/caliber/.243-winchester/action/lever-action

Alternatively, if you are hunting in medium/thick brush, perhaps a Marlin 336 in 44 Rem Mag
https://www.gunsamerica.com/916369274/Marlin-336-44-Magnum.htm
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907388118
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907378505
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907364037

badguybuster
08-09-2021, 08:24 PM
Honestly, my Winchester Deluxe 1892 in 357 mag and my S&W 28-2 Reg Magnum (VERY RARE) are my dream/go to guns for everything. The Win holds 15 rounds of 357 mag and the 28-2 holds 8 rounds. If I need more than that, I am in WAY over my head anyway

M-Tecs
08-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Honestly, my Winchester Deluxe 1892 in 357 mag and my S&W 28-2 Reg Magnum (VERY RARE) are my dream/go to guns for everything. The Win holds 15 rounds of 357 mag and the 28-2 holds 8 rounds. If I need more than that, I am in WAY over my head anyway

A Registered Magnum in a model 28-2 that holds 8 rounds is something that I have never heard of??????????????

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_28

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_27#:~:text=When%20first%20i ntroduced%20by%20Smith%20%26%20Wesson%20in,%286.4% 20mm%29%20increments%20from%203%201%E2%81%842%20to %208

PositiveCaster
08-09-2021, 09:37 PM
I cannot understand the OP’s requirement to have just one rifle. What a boring, limiting requirement. I retired 4 years ago and enjoy shooting all the remaining rifles and handguns I acquired over my lifetime. Some more than others, and some are limited by component availability - now. Variety is the spice of life, and I encourage the OP to widen his horizons.

Camba
08-09-2021, 10:01 PM
I did not say “only” one rifle. I said one rifle that is my favorite and will be my go to rifle for most of my needs. I still will have 22’s and 223 rem ar since I do have a lifetime supply of ammo.
Rifles I like are single shot rifles in 35 caliber.

Savvy Jack
08-09-2021, 10:11 PM
Took me a few years after retirement to finally build my "dream rifle". It is a 30-06 on a M70 CRF action with a 32" Broughton 12" twist barrel in a McMillan A5 stock. Scope is a 8x32 NightForce NXS. I shoot 178 match bullets at 3025 fps holding 1/2 moa at 300 yards with 10 shots.

THAT would be mine, but I already have mine!!!

Daekar
08-09-2021, 10:11 PM
I already have my retirement rifle: my Henry Single Shot in 357mag. Low recoil, easy to handle, dead simple, reliable, accurate with reloads it likes, and I already have peep sights for it.

I love this gun, I have largely lost interest in my other larger rifles. I can see a 45-70 assuming a place of honor though, if it has a threaded muzzle...

Camba
08-09-2021, 10:30 PM
That is one rifle/caliber I do like. I have not been able to find one yet.

Bigslug
08-09-2021, 10:46 PM
The way I'm going, by the time I retire, I expect I will need. . .

A carbon-fiber wrapped barrel (that I can lift). . .

On the Martini action with the long lever (that I'll be able to force open). . .

In .22 short (so I can bear the recoil). . .

With a tapered .577 to .22 funnel cut in the top of the custom breech block (so I can find the chamber). . .

With a 36X Zeiss scope (so I can see the target). . .

And a series of miniaturized African dangerous game steel targets (so I can pretend it's a Farquarson in a macho chambering). . .

Gray Fox
08-09-2021, 11:18 PM
I retired several years ago and I guess my retirement rifle is my Pedersoli 14.2 pound 1874 Sharps Quigley Rifle in .45-100 with 110 pieces of brass. It has a Lee Shaver aperture sight with a Hadley eye cup. I cast the Lyman 535 grain Postel boolit for it and also shoot the Lyman 457193 420 grain FP. I use 100-105 grains of ffg with a wad cut from 1/16" gasket cork sheet. I lub with Lyman Black Powder Gold. I'm still trying to get the best out of it, just as I am my retirement. My biggest problem is the longest range I have to shoot on is 150 yards and is 90 miles away. GF

rbuck351
08-09-2021, 11:36 PM
I'm already retired and have more than enough rifles to hunt anything I want but I have wanted a 92 Winchester in 256 Win. I have everything I need to build it except the time but I'm working on that.

sharps4590
08-10-2021, 07:35 AM
I have double rifles, drillings, combination guns, custom Mausers, 2 Shiloh's, 2 Mannlicher/Schoenaur's, some other goodies thrown in for good measure and have had long range smokeless rifles as well. For me only one remains, a vierling. Tastes have changed regards cartridges and today, and today only, it would be two, side by side barrels in 8 X 57R, bottom barrel would be 16 bore and there would be a 5.56R Vierling in the top rail. Secondary cartridge considerations would be 16 X 16 with 9.3 X 74R as the bottom barrel and the same 5.56R Vierling in the top rail.

Randy Bohannon
08-10-2021, 07:55 AM
I’m on my third ‘retirement’ rifle ,all three ‘retirement’ rifles have been Shiloh Sharps. The third just went to production for a 1877 English Sporting Rifle #1 ,Cecil Freddi English walnut, stock fore arm,AA finish,32” round polished barrel with a Rigby flat 45-70 ,polished fire blued screws,brass escutcheons ,steel butt plate,D/T for MVA ‘A’ scope 8X .This is my first rifle I get to pick the wood and not be surprised by what someone else likes although I got very lucky with a semi fancy choice and got fancy from Shiloh. I waited,made payments for 4 years 4 mos. and some days now wait 5-6 months for it to be finished. No one pays attention to detail like Shiloh, you get what you pay for and then some.

Camba
08-10-2021, 10:07 AM
That is awesome!

versa-06
08-11-2021, 04:27 AM
Pondered for quite some time & settled on, Browning 1885 454 Casull, 26 in. oct. barrel, 1;24 twist. "Lighter than I expected", 2-7x33 Leupy. Does well with heavies at low velocity, Loves 255-325gr. pills 1650 fps range less range PC'd fast powder. Haven't tried any checked loads yet, but I have a load of 26.5 gr. W-296 314 gr. boolit PC'd, flat base, HP, guessing 1800fps range that is impressive to me, 2-3 shot rounds 75 yds. all touching. Doesn't eat the powder or lead a 45-70 might. far less recoil. Just got a Chrono gonna get some real #'s.

NEKVT
08-11-2021, 07:04 PM
Retired last year and approaching it prompted me to look at getting a Criterion barrel for my Krag Sporter rather than another rifle that I really don't need. Rebarrel cost alone is more than the Sporter will ever be worth but wasn't done as an investment anyway. It became an adventure of screw ups that took a year from getting on a wait list and when the dust settled I ended up with the new barrel and the sight configuration I really wanted rather than what I planned to settle for but for about a quarter of the proposed cost.

Finster101
08-11-2021, 07:11 PM

On the Martini action with the long lever (that I'll be able to force open). . .

With a tapered .577 to .22 funnel cut in the top of the custom breech block (so I can find the chamber). . .

And a series of miniaturized African dangerous game steel targets (so I can pretend it's a Farquarson in a macho chambering). . .

That's too funny! Sadly, I can relate.

lar45
08-13-2021, 12:44 PM
A retirement rifle, what a topic...
I'm sure there are going to be wildly different end game rifles coming up.
I'm from Idaho and love to hunt Elk, but I'm in Arkansas now and it rains a ton down here. So my locations would suggest two very different rifles. For Idaho, blued steel and Walnut are just fine, for Arkansas' wet weather, a Stainless rifle with either a synthetic or laminated stock would probably be much better.
Idaho's game opportunities consist mainly of Deer, Elk, Antilope, and possibly bear or Moose. While I was in Idaho, I mainly hunted with a M98 Mauser in 30-06. It's taken a pile of Deer and Elk. It could be pressed into Antilope duty, but I have a 25-06 for that. The 30-06 would work fine on Moose, but I might take the 338 Win mag just because.
I've been in Arkansas for about 10 years now and have been using my Idaho rifles mainly, but feel I need something abit more suited to the task. I'm looking at a stainless Kimber with synthetic stock in 6.5 Credemoore. I love the rifle, but the caliber is the question. It seems like everyone is jumping on the 6.5 Credemoore bandwagon, that would generally be more of a detractor for me. I'd probably prefer the 6.5x55 Swede just to be different. There's nothing wrong with the Credemoore, it's a very versitile cartridge that should handle Arkansas' Deer and hogs without any problems. When loaded with a heavy bullet, it might even take down an Idaho Elk.
The rifle belonged to a very good friend that died from Covid complications, and if his widow doesn't want it, I'll probably buy it to use every year and remember the hunts we did get to go on.

farmbif
08-13-2021, 08:58 PM
I'm already retired and have more than enough rifles to hunt anything I want but I have wanted a 92 Winchester in 256 Win. I have everything I need to build it except the time but I'm working on that.
a winny 92 in 256 win would be quite unique without a doubt
the only lever gun I know of made too chamber the 256 win was the marlin Levermatic model 62. if Winchester ever chambered an 1892 in 256 I don't think they released it for public consumption.

KCcactus
08-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Retirement is still 8 years or so off for me. I expect to still be using my 6.8 ar on deer and pig's. Light recoil and very effective with 115 gr Federal Fusion. Will probably set up another 6.8 with thermal or night vision for nighttime pig's, but that will have to wait until the kids finish college.

koger
08-13-2021, 10:16 PM
Iar45, you wont be sorry going with a 6.5x55 Swede, especially if you build it on a 98 or Savage, Remington/Ruger or other modern action. I just finished a build on a Savage action, with a 26" varmint taper, 1-8 twist. I am shooting the 6.5x55SE Data, which starts where the older mauser 96 stops. .In 37 years of gunsmithing I have built over 100 rifles in this caliber. In the 80's and 90's ordered them by the dozen when I ran a shop full time, kept 3 of 4 in the rack for sale at all times, a lot of game has been taken in eastern KY with those rifles, from 50 yds in the timber, out to 400 yds and further in hayfields, and on old coal strip mines which have been reclaimed. I used have taken deer with 120 and 140gr soft points. For whitetail I prefer the 120 grs, have taken a ton of deer with them, and my longest shot on a buck was in a 20 acre hayfield I varmint hunt on, at 510 yds. Holler at me if you decide to build one, I have done extensive load work and can steer you in the right direction.

Maineboy
08-13-2021, 10:33 PM
About the time I retired I was gifted my stepfather's Savage 99F in 308. It is my most likely to be carried hunting rifle and gets a lot of off season use plinking with cast boolit loads.

Nazgul
08-14-2021, 05:29 AM
Retired the second time and built this Jim Kibler 58 Colonial. My first attempt at carving. Liberty is for my ancestor Moses who fought in the 26th Continental Infantry.

Don

Daekar
08-14-2021, 07:06 AM
Retirement is still 8 years or so off for me. I expect to still be using my 6.8 ar on deer and pig's. Light recoil and very effective with 115 gr Federal Fusion. Will probably set up another 6.8 with thermal or night vision for nighttime pig's, but that will have to wait until the kids finish college.

I haven't seen any discussion of 6.8 SPC in the context of cast boolit use. Do you think that is a realistic option for full power loads?

ascast
08-14-2021, 07:55 AM
As I race toward that date, unprepared in general, I think I can say I probably won;t get the load testing etc., finding odd parts etc. to finish what I now have. That said, I can always find space and reasons to get another single shot. I'd like a Barret or similar although it would be hard to feed. I'd like a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. I've always had one toe in the Zombie Apocalypse camp, so would need something on a AR 15 platform and/or an AK47. And a couple more 8's of Unique.

ulk77more
08-14-2021, 09:29 AM
As I am looking at the age of retirement I look at practicality. If I am such a terrible shot that I need a quick second shot with a large caliber rifle, then I need to give up hunting, a I have a nice .54 sharps that has a shotgun recoil pad on the butplate. as for home defense? my 1911 .45 can have any load put in it, slow it down a bit and it doesnt buck as much, would not want the bullets going though the bad guy and the wall also as someone else might be there. and varmint hunting? a depends upon the varmints a good .457 or smaller air rifle can perform up to 1000 yards. I never was a big fan of shoot a 50 round clip and hopefully hit something.
so as for a final rifle? it is a toss up between the .54 sharps and the .457 texan, The texan is much lighter and it has swappable barrels for different types of hunting and utilizes AIR, no primers no powder. no difficult ammunition to purchase. Lewis and clark used an airgun on their westward trip.
Just my $.02 worth.

warren5421
08-17-2021, 10:50 AM
.457 Texan SS or a good handmade Hawken Flint would be nice but I would like a old Winchester High Wall Pistol Grip refinished and reworked. Highest Bastogne Rifle Stock and Forearm, 30”-32” full Octagon barrel chambered for .38-55, double set triggers, Montana Vintage Arms #103 Long Range Soule sight, Lee Shaver large diameter Front Sight and a Montana Vintage Arms Winchester “B” Series Scope with No.2 Mount. Don't need the long range sight as medium is good for most .38-55 ranges. The .38-55 will go for the 1000 yard targets but wind moves it to much. It will do for the 600 yard targets but I only go to 400 yards as eyes have started to go with old age.

08-17-2021, 08:15 PM
If I could have only one, I think a 7mm-08 in a gun similar to the Kimber Montana.

Tracy
08-17-2021, 10:45 PM
A long, slim .32 percussion squirrel rifle with a 42" or so, 3/4 inch barrel in a nice, full length piece of maple or maybe walnut.
I would also like to put a new non-microgroove .222, 1:14 barrel on my Marlin/Sako 322.

Blkpwdrbuff
08-19-2021, 10:10 PM
I am planning on retiring April 30th 2023.
My retirement rifle is going to be a .416 Taylor.
I'm looking right now for a Savage 110 action, 30/06 length. Does anyone have one they would like to sell?
Ragged Hole Barrels has a nice stainless barrel.
CH4D has the dies and my gunsmith already has the reamer.
I'll probably put either a Boyd's or Richard's Microfit laminated stock on it, along with a thick Limbsaver recoil pad.
I don't need one, I just WANT one.
Blkpwdrbuff

echo154
08-19-2021, 10:44 PM
I have far to many to choose from. I retired in late 2017 and my favorite for general stuff is a Uberti 1873 border rifle in 44-40. deadly on rabbits, coyotes and such...cant hunt with it in Illinois......Ok I might have eaten the rabbits. If I lived an a GUN FRIENDLY state with blacks and hog it would be my Marlin 45-70 guide with Ballard rifling. my Browning V70 22 bottom eject is great on squirrels and rabbit as well.

smkummer
08-20-2021, 12:06 AM
Like both my lever guns and bolt guns. Picked up a colt sauer in 270 out of Texas that did spend some time hunting and has the marks. So the gun is on the heavy side these days with its pretty wood stock but that sweetens the recoil of the 270-130 grain bullet. Which is plenty of power for lower 48/state game. I can shoot the gun all day at the range and my 60 year old shoulder doesn’t complain. Remember during the shortages, Walmart and others usually still had 243, 270, 30-30 and such. I do have a Lyman mold for it but have not yet cast for it as I have way too many guns.

Traffer
08-20-2021, 10:31 AM
1884 Lightening Rifle by Uberti in .357 mag. (Colt Lightening replica)
Cheap to reload and there is no funner gun to shoot than a pump.

Traffer
08-20-2021, 10:38 AM

I would vote this to be the best comment I have read in a long time.

Randy Bohannon
08-20-2021, 12:10 PM
If I could have only one, I think a 7mm-08 in a gun similar to the Kimber Montana.[QUOTE]

Very quickly became one of my favorite smokeless cartridges. Bought a Rem. 700 SS, junked the stock put a HS Precision stock ,glass ,pillar bedded and a Timney trigger,Zeiss 3X9 mil dot scope. Outstanding Antelope/Sheep/Goat/Deer cartridge.

tuckerdog
08-20-2021, 08:53 PM
I've been pondering the same thing. I am leaning towards .358Win. I have a Ruger 77 mkll .308 that I am going to be sending to JES. 26" tube cut to 18" and adding detachable mag bottom metal. Why .358? can be loaded with boolits from 150 to 300 grains, mild to wild. I am planning to try finding a light boolit mouse fart load for close in small game. (I currently use my Blackhawk and wadcutters but eyes aren't what they used to be.) A light recoiling 200 grain load skippin' along at 1800-2000 fps would be plenty medicine for deer to a couple hundred yards if you know the load, or, if you get to feeling rambunctious you can work up a load for moose. Brass is available from starline so dies a few molds and golden. The rifle I am putting together will be a dedicated cast shooter 3 groove 1 in 16" after talking to JES about options and what I want the rifle for. My last rifle (yeah right!) that will do anything I ask cheaply (UMMM).

memtb
08-21-2021, 09:31 AM
I've been pondering the same thing. I am leaning towards .358Win. I have a Ruger 77 mkll .308 that I am going to be sending to JES. 26" tube cut to 18" and adding detachable mag bottom metal. Why .358? can be loaded with boolits from 150 to 300 grains, mild to wild. I am planning to try finding a light boolit mouse fart load for close in small game. (I currently use my Blackhawk and wadcutters but eyes aren't what they used to be.) A light recoiling 200 grain load skippin' along at 1800-2000 fps would be plenty medicine for deer to a couple hundred yards if you know the load, or, if you get to feeling rambunctious you can work up a load for moose. Brass is available from starline so dies a few molds and golden. The rifle I am putting together will be a dedicated cast shooter 3 groove 1 in 16" after talking to JES about options and what I want the rifle for. My last rifle (yeah right!) that will do anything I ask cheaply (UMMM).

For many years, I’ve said that a “hot rod” .35 cal rifle would be a great “do it all” rifle/cartridge (if you are a hand loader)....unless some of the African Big Five are on the menu (caliber restrictions).

With a greater quantity of jacketed/mono bullets now available, it’s great for most anything someone may hunt. You also have the opportunity to shoot factory produced jacketed handgun bullets at reduced velocities for as you say “mouse fart” loads.....giving you the ability to use your rifle year long for many different things from plinking, small game, and reduced load close/moderate “small” big game use! :drinks: to the wonderfully versatile .35’s! memtb

lar45
08-21-2021, 12:47 PM
Blkpwdrbuff

I like it!
I have an A&B 416 Taylor barrel for a M98 Mauser that's been waiting to happen. I used to have a bucket of Mauser actions but they were in our shop fire and went dead soft. /cry
I'll probably just swap the barrel onto my 338 Win, much quicker way to complete it.

Camba
08-21-2021, 01:04 PM
I am with you in the 35 calibers.
35 Whelen, 358 Win, 357 Max, 350 Legend, 357 Mag, 38 Special, and 9mm.
That is what I have for my retirement rifle(s) and handguns.

sukivel
08-21-2021, 01:31 PM
I am with you in the 35 calibers.
35 Whelen, 358 Win, 357 Max, 350 Legend, 357 Mag, 38 Special, and 9mm.
That is what I have for my retirement rifle(s) and handguns.

Yes, and don’t forget a nice older well worn 358 Norma mag! That’s what I’ve been looking for.

memtb
08-21-2021, 01:46 PM
Yes, and don’t forget a nice older well worn 358 Norma mag! That’s what I’ve been looking for.

Let us not forget the .358 STA, which is essentially the old .350 Griffin & Howe! memtb

r80rt
08-21-2021, 05:53 PM
Well, I'm retired and my 16" Rossi 92 in .357 is the one I grab first and use the most.

Buzzard II
08-26-2021, 02:57 PM
M40A1--.308 caliber--rifle
1911A1--45ACP--handgun

Blue2
09-05-2021, 07:23 AM
Gosh--So many different variables . I have too many toys but I guess for an all around set_up as I hunt varmints a bit I like my Voere over/under in 222Rem/20 gauge . If I wasn't after small game then I have a Sako Over/Under in 7 X 57R and 12 gauge . They are considered high end guns by some but I picked them up at gun-shows for far less than the price of a mid-range modern hunting rifle .

444ttd
09-05-2021, 03:25 PM
i have the rifle to build, but i keep putting back due to chamberings i have or want to build.

1916 spanish mauser in 7x57
https://i.imgur.com/KWsr5oB.jpg

i want to make it a 257 roberts with a 2-7x leupold. i was going to go with a richards wolverine stock, but i decided to keep the "original" stock. it will need d&t, bolt handle bent, dayton trigger and kit and i think a 23" douglas barrel in 257 bob.

Camba
09-09-2021, 12:10 AM
Ok. I was looking for a tc encore mgm barrel in 357 maximum for quite some time and I thought I gave up on that. Not any more. I happen to check the mgm web site and I saw they had one availabe.
I bought it! I can’t wait to start developing a load. Now that can be my retirement rifle.

David todd
09-09-2021, 08:53 PM
I didn't have one built, but I did have a gunsmith buddy restore my cherished bird gun, an 1878 era Westley Richards 12 bore
I run brass cases and black powder in it.:p
David

gumbo333
09-09-2021, 09:14 PM
David Todd, that is a really cool bird gun for sure.

wwmartin
09-09-2021, 09:16 PM
The last retirement rifle is a Sabatti S×S chambered in 9.3X74r. The one before that a Shiloh 1874 Hartford chambered in 40-65 . I'm sure I'll find another I can't live without.

Bill

smokeater
09-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Been retired since 2007 and have my retirement battery:
Ruger American Ranch 233/5.56
Stoeger 20ga double barrel 24" barrels
Henry 357 Single Shot Rifle
Ruger GP100 357Mag 4.2" barrel full underlug
I enjoy shooting them and reload for all of them. I'm very fortunate and blessed to have good health and I make the most of each day either doing,what Iv want or helping somebody.

Anschutz
09-10-2021, 08:57 AM
I'm far from retirement but my dream rifle was the Ruger No. 1. Found one in 375 and enjoy it. Got a chance to shoot a Chapuis Double Rifle in 375 that the guy was carrying and loading to 38-55 levels. Real pleasure to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

one-eyed fat man
09-10-2021, 01:38 PM
I already have mine. A Model 70 Featherweight with a 4 power Leupold Compact.

sukivel
09-10-2021, 07:50 PM
I'm far from retirement but my dream rifle was the Ruger No. 1. Found one in 375 and enjoy it. Got a chance to shoot a Chapuis Double Rifle in 375 that the guy was carrying and loading to 38-55 levels. Real pleasure to shoot.

A double rifle in 375 win is what I’ve always wanted but I thought I would have to build one from a shotgun. I didn’t know anyone made one. On second thought, I’ll probably just have to build one cause those French guns aren’t cheap...

Anschutz
09-10-2021, 07:54 PM
A double rifle in 375 win is what I’ve always wanted but I thought I would have to build one from a shotgun. I didn’t know anyone made one. On second thought, I’ll probably just have to build one cause those French guns aren’t cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat would be a fun gun. This was in 375 H&H though.

Anschutz
09-10-2021, 07:56 PM

288484I'm sure that is a handy deer rifle.

trails4u
09-10-2021, 11:25 PM
Picked up a really nice Model 71 here (of all places?? :)... Always been on my bucket list and finally found one in the condition I wanted and at a very fair price. Only problem is......still 9 years from retirement!? Still need a really nice burnside, a really nice dual ignition ballard, a really nice 1895 in 38-72, etc, etc.... Most around me believe that...I have a problem. I'm OK with that.

versa-06
09-11-2021, 04:52 PM
one- eye: What caliber is that M-70?

Ithaca Gunner
09-11-2021, 05:38 PM
With all the rifles around here the one I often pick up for a walk is an old 1940 built Winchester 94 in .30WCF. Clean lines, light weight, just a pleasure to carry, but I longed for a little more power in a common caliber coupled with a slick action and iron sights. I found that today in an old, but still in beautiful shape Ruger M77 in .308 Winchester. Ain't no scope going on it, very useable iron sights even for my eyes, it carries too nice without one to ruin it.

I have a 1990's Winchester M70 Featherweight in the same caliber, but all but detest it due to no iron sights and recoil like a .338 Winchester Magnum. The Ruger comes up well and shoots much better with typical .308 felt recoil with 150gr. jacketed loads. It feeds my RCBS .30-180FN cast loads well, but the load needs some tweaking yet in it. It's a sad day when factorys decided not to put a nice set of useable irons on a sporting rifle.

NObamain2012
09-11-2021, 08:16 PM
A savage 12 in 300 BO improved. I"d custom chamber it for boolits only.Just something to plink away at 100 yard cans.

Tripplebeards
09-11-2021, 10:31 PM
A pristine Remington 600 laminate chambered in 350 Rem Mag or a double barrel 500 nitro express.

gunseller
09-12-2021, 12:48 AM
I retired the end of January. My retirement rifle will be the last one I had built, MK10 mauser action , walnut stock and someone's barrel. Chambered in my favoret caliber, 35 Whelen. Now Iowa has OKed it for deer hunting. Then there is the other 100 firearms in the safes.
Steve

one-eyed fat man
09-12-2021, 03:02 AM
one- eye: What caliber is that M-70?

,257 Roberts. That rifle has put a lot of venison in the freezer.

versa-06
09-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Nice!

pls1911
09-12-2021, 04:27 PM
30-30.... all 30 or 40 of 'em.
I'll still adopt and recover rough and neglected Marlins if the the price reflects conditions.

jonp
09-12-2021, 04:41 PM
30/30 because all of the meat I will need can be taken with it where I plan to hunt. Handguns for the rest such as partridge, rabbits etc.

Although I'm iffy on between it and the 308. Not sure what in NA I will hunt a 308 will not do, brass is easy and powder. A bunch of different powder will run it. 30/30 lever or a bolt 308 synthetic stock meat gun.

jonp
09-12-2021, 04:44 PM
i have the rifle to build, but i keep putting back due to chamberings i have or want to build.

1916 spanish mauser in 7x57
https://i.imgur.com/KWsr5oB.jpg

i want to make it a 257 roberts with a 2-7x leupold. i was going to go with a richards wolverine stock, but i decided to keep the "original" stock. it will need d&t, bolt handle bent, dayton trigger and kit and i think a 23" douglas barrel in 257 bob.

Nice rifle and idea but if you have only one in retirement you could do a lot worse than the 7mm Mauser. Coyotes to Elephants although it did work for K. Bell I'm not going that large. Up to Moose you have a winner

jonp
09-12-2021, 04:48 PM
I'm looking right now for a Savage 110 action, 30/06 length. Does anyone have one they would like to sell?
Ragged Hole Barrels has a nice stainless barrel.
CH4D has the dies and my gunsmith already has the reamer.
I'll probably put either a Boyd's or Richard's Microfit laminated stock on it, along with a thick Limbsaver recoil pad.
Blkpwdrbuff

.416Taylor is smiling at this choice

444ttd
09-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Nice rifle and idea but if you have only one in retirement you could do a lot worse than the 7mm Mauser. Coyotes to Elephants although it did work for K. Bell I'm not going that large. Up to Moose you have a winner

i have two other 7 mausers. i've owned one other but i gave it (98 mauser custom) to my oldest son.

1908 brazilian

https://i.imgur.com/yNe6slb.jpg

venezuelan model 1924 30

https://i.imgur.com/hdslmqQ.jpg

98 mauser FN

https://i.imgur.com/Ee3UHwD.jpg

Ural Driver
09-12-2021, 10:05 PM
Rossi 92 chambered in .45 Colt. It shoots soft, hard or really hard. :idea:

GregLaROCHE
09-13-2021, 11:25 AM
A lot of retired people talk about selling off a lot of their guns. Now that I am retired, I am buying as many, if not more guns per year than before I retired. I guess I haven’t found my retirement gun yet.

jonp
09-13-2021, 03:53 PM
i have two other 7 mausers. i've owned one other but i gave it (98 mauser custom) to my oldest son.

1908 brazilian

https://i.imgur.com/yNe6slb.jpg

venezuelan model 1924 30

https://i.imgur.com/hdslmqQ.jpg

98 mauser FN

https://i.imgur.com/Ee3UHwD.jpg

Sweet rifles. With that information then that 257 Roberts sounds like a great project. Am i right that you can form the cases yourself from the 7mm Mauser?

bangerjim
09-13-2021, 06:30 PM
Everything I own and load for now! Most everything costs about the same to reload for. Why wish wish for perfection when I have it?

Prodigal Son
09-13-2021, 10:35 PM
288648my retirement to Croatia will be with the Mark X Mauser in 7x57 Mannlicher. It will do all I need from boars to red stag!

444ttd
09-14-2021, 03:02 PM
Sweet rifles. With that information then that 257 Roberts sounds like a great project. Am i right that you can form the cases yourself from the 7mm Mauser?

you can buy them(257 roberts), but its the easiest way. the way the market is, i can take a a '06 to 7x57 to 257 roberts. i've done it with the 9.3x57, 8x57 and 7.65x53.

444ttd
09-14-2021, 03:10 PM
288648my retirement to Croatia will be with the Mark X Mauser in 7x57 Mannlicher. It will do all I need from boars to red stag!

my dream rifle will be dakota arms m10 mannlicher in 7x57, but thats what it is....a dream:sad:.

https://www.dakotaarms.com/firearms/model-10-mannlicher.html

Camba
09-23-2021, 09:31 AM
I added an MGM 357 Maximum barrel to my TC Encore retiring rifle. It is unbelievable accurate with a number of loads I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210923/6eaf8e0afc9a7ded7f4133f18c64a059.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210923/f7ffd61f9fbf07ea72a0eceae118644c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210923/4c8acd838b9b33e9de497065c7ba598f.jpg
Those are 5-shot groups.

444ttd
09-23-2021, 01:31 PM
I added an MGM 357 Maximum barrel to my TC Encore retiring rifle. It is unbelievable accurate with a number of loads I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210923/6eaf8e0afc9a7ded7f4133f18c64a059.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210923/f7ffd61f9fbf07ea72a0eceae118644c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210923/4c8acd838b9b33e9de497065c7ba598f.jpg
Those are 5-shot groups.

you oughta try MGM's 444 marlin heavy barrel!!!:bigsmyl2: i use a 300gr fn gc with 2400/tuft of dacron(1620ish fps) that goes 5/8 - 3/4" at 100 yards(5 shots/bench)

Camba
09-24-2021, 02:05 PM
I am thinking about it.
I do have a 444 Marlin H&R handy rifle and I get some tiny groups with the Lee 310gr gas checked, using 13.3gr of Red Dot and large pistol primers.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210924/8b7235d26c74b47027b687ac374c120f.jpg

Camba
09-24-2021, 02:14 PM
Having the TC Encore platform, I can have a few barrels to swap. Definitely the 444 Marlin MGM barrel could have a spot.

Camba
09-24-2021, 02:16 PM
BTW,
That load came from a fellow in this forum. I gave it a try and that was the result.

marlinman93
10-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Not sure what "break the bank" is for each person, as it seems some are comfortable with $500 rifles, while others have no issue with $5000 rifles. I'm personally somewhere in between.
My gun buying has probably increased substantially since I retired, as we don't owe anyone really. So I've purchased some rifles I never thought I'd ever own the last 11 years since I retired.
But my choice would be a single shot like a Rolling Block, and caliber would be .40-65 Win. as it can allow for a variety of bullet weights, powder charges, and vast distance choices should you choose to shoot it anything from 100 yds. to 1000 yds.
Most are heavy enough to handle recoil well, even with heavy 420 gr. bullets, but with the modern twist rates most .40 caliber barrels have of 1:16" twist, these guns shoot well with anything from 300-420 gr. bullets.
My Rolling Block Sporting Rifle in .40-65 is a joy to shoot with almost any bullet weight at around 1350-1400 fps., and isn't tough on my 71 yr. old bones at all. Most of these guns can be found for anywhere from just under $1,000 to maybe just over $2,000 if you went crazy with options, or bought original Remington rifles.

This one ran a little over $1200 by the time I had it all setup with sights. 34" octagon barrel, and weighs about 12 lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/xONwkUnl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5B3lyXJl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZZmG5nsl.jpg

762sultan
10-05-2021, 04:10 PM
I have decided my gun and caliber will be a Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger. Always wanted one and about 10 days ago I found one on Gunbroker. It now rests against the headboard of my bed. I have made several hundred bullets and prepped about 200 hundred cases. Tomorrow the powder gets added and a selection of cast bullets. I already have a Ruger in 480 so I have all that's needed to assemble them.

popper
10-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Mine would be a long ranger in 308, can't find one so I'll not retire?

Kevinakaq
10-05-2021, 08:47 PM
Have the same rifle and a 4x Leupold to mount on it, perfect combination in my opinion. Mine is 308w, yours?

JLF
10-31-2021, 01:25 PM
A custom rifle, armed with a Remington 700 action. Caliber 338-06.

tdoor4570
10-31-2021, 02:17 PM
I just finished building my retirement rifle, started with a bubbed 1917 enfield that I picked up cheap , rechambered it to a 308 Norma mag, restocked it with a boyds lam stock in cayote put a 4x16x40 BSA mildot scope on it that I had. Now my kid wants it for elk season this year.

In addition to the above post I went to as gun show a couple of weeks ago and found the No-1 item on my want list. walked in to a 1895 Winchester in 30 US Army that I could afford, it seems to be in really good condition and ready to go to the range .

444ttd
10-31-2021, 02:44 PM
In addition to the above post I went to as gun show a couple of weeks ago and found the No-1 item on my want list. walked in to a 1895 Winchester in 30 US Army that I could afford, it seems to be in really good condition and ready to go to the range .

that would be a good one to have!!!

i think i'll one more to "have", it probably going to be a in the white left handed flintlock in TVM southern model.
https://www.tvmnatchez.com/southern

Baltimoreed
10-31-2021, 02:58 PM
What ya talkin about Willis? Since I’ve retired I’ve bought a bunch of project bubba’ed rifles to tinker with, rebuild and shoot BAM and cas matches with. One? The ‘one’ that I have shot the most has been a Model 52 Pre A .22 that I refinished the stock, filled in some extra holes? and recut the grasping grooves on. A super rifle. Don’t shoot paper but it’ll ring 60 yd steel offhand just fine.

Camba
12-16-2021, 10:52 AM
I have not retired yet but I can confirm my retirement rifle: the TC Encore in 357 Maximum!
I bought an MGM barrel a couple of months before deer season and was able to test some good hunting loads.
I had success with two does.
They were shot at 125 yds and at 220 yards DRT.
The kick is almost not existent, the noise is tolerable, and the versatility is priceless!
Camba

Eddie Southgate
12-16-2021, 02:12 PM
I'm shooting my 1911 '92 Winchester Rifle in .38WCF and the 1921 m14 in .32 Remington . I bought the Remington after I retired so I guess that is my retirement rifle as I don't have any plans to buy another in the near future. There are a few I'd like to have but will probably wait for a trade to come along rather than buying and stockpile the cash for another lifetime worth of components if things ever loosen up on that front.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-16-2021, 04:29 PM
I'm slightly hung up on a bolt gun in 357 AR Max. Free brass, carbide dies, good with plain based boolits, plenty for a deer. I'd take a 03A3 conversion or A4 if my eyes are shot.

Probably easier to get the future grandkids to put gas checks on for me and shoot 30-06.

ElCheapo
12-16-2021, 06:38 PM
Fortunately I'm pretty well satisfied with what I already have. A 1970 Marlin 336 in 30-30 that is accurate and loves cast bullets. Already have dies and plenty of brass. I just shot a buck with the Lyman 311008 at 2200 fps. It did a great job and didn't kick. Next mold I'm getting is an NOE (Ranch dog) 153 grain flatpoint that should be good for just about anything. I plan to load both to 2400 fps so the POI should be the same for both loads. Topping it off is an old Burris 4x Mini. Just a great gun!

Meatpuppet
12-17-2021, 12:17 AM
Camba for the Win!!!!!

Wayne Smith
12-17-2021, 09:03 AM
My idea was quarter bore and single shot - and that for me means a rimmed round. Looked around and decided that the 25 Krag AI would be the right idea, from my various books. Then found those dies on Midway's Cave! I grabbed them long before I had a rifle. Had a Martini action, barrel, and stock cut by Treebone and my gunsmith died and it all went away.

Found a maker of Encore barrels, someone here sent me the reamers and I sent them in with the order. Now have an Encore barrel in 25 Krag AI 40degree. My gunsmith has the reamers, if anyone is interested. I have posted here how I make the brass.

444ttd, my TVM is a 40 caliber 42" swamped barrel, Southern poor boy. When you order spring for the wooden box - it saved my rifle.

Hook
12-17-2021, 02:26 PM
When I retired 8 yrs ago, my co-workers presented me with a Ruger M77 in 338 WM. I thought it was a great retirement gift, but I could just never warm up to it. Then, a few years ago I happened upon a Mannlicher-Schonauer 1903 and the Ruger and a little cash morphed into the PERFECT retirement rifle!
https://i.imgur.com/bZqWcLCl.jpg

Two years ago, I happened into a M54 Winchester in 30 WCF in a pawn shop and it became my second retirement rifle. Somewhat more appropriate here because it is now a dedicated cast bullet rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/r3COw3wl.jpg

RKJ
12-17-2021, 06:37 PM
My retirement rifle would be either a Ruger 77 International or a Winchester Featherweight in 7x57, 6.5 (CM or Mauser) or .257 Roberts. I'd love to have a Sharps in 45/70 but that would be my I just hit the lottery rifle.

Camba
12-17-2021, 06:41 PM
30 wcf is what caliber?
A 30-30 win or a 30-06?
Or a 30-40 krag?

Hook
12-17-2021, 09:55 PM
30-30

Wayne Smith
12-18-2021, 03:34 PM
30 wcf is what caliber?
A 30-30 win or a 30-06?
Or a 30-40 krag?

30 WCF = 30 Winchester Center Fire - the other two are 30 US formally. Thus this is a 30-30.

Camba
12-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Thank you for the clarification.
I am not totally familiar with the old cartridge names.

Noah Zark
12-19-2021, 12:37 AM
I'm not retired yet but soon to be, and have been selling firearms which no longer hold interest or otherwise have served their purpose, using the proceeds to acquire other firearms of interest, primarily chambered in straightwall cases. These include 357 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 Colt, 32-20 (well, almost straightwall), 327 Federal, 38-55, 405 Winchester, and 45-70. These are in a mix of single-shots and leverguns.

Bottleneck cartridges include the 6.5 Swedish, 30-30, and 30-40. I have multiple Swedish Mausers and a sporterized Danish Krag, multiple leverguns and single-shots in 30-30, and multiple "quality build" vintage sporterized Krags in 30-40 joined by a couple single-shots.

At halfway to 134, these will keep me busy. And I haven't listed the handguns and their cartridges yet.

Noah

Rapier
12-19-2021, 09:06 AM
For a cast bullet shooter a 35 is hard to beat, a lot of choices in bullets, weights and velocities. I have a few 35 rifles in different chamberings, you can load them up to do about anything you want, for hunting.
Right now I am building myself a replacement for my Classic in 35 Whelen, on a 700 action with a 24” SS McGowen 1-14 twist barrel. The barrel is about 90% turned.
I will put the barrel in an old 700 action, trued, squared, cut .010 over, .250 lug, Jard single set trigger, HS Precision stock.

tdoor4570
12-19-2021, 10:19 AM

In addition to above two posts I have picked up 3 more, CVA scout 45-70, CVA hunter 444marlin, and another P-17 Remington in 30-06 just finished restocking the P-17 with a stock from Boyds in blaze lam. can't think of anything I want now.

dale2242
12-19-2021, 09:08 PM
I retired at 68 from full time work at the sawmill in 2010. they gave me a Ruger M77 in 223 as a retirement gift
I shot the barrel out in 6 years shooting sage rats.
I had the action rebarreled to 221 Fireball with a 26" Benchmark barrel.
It is a true 1/4"-3/8" gun on any day.

bangerjim
12-20-2021, 12:56 PM
IF...................I ever retire, it will be ALL the ones I currently own now + any new ones that come along for the ride.

Why limit yourself to just one???????????????????????

Camba
12-20-2021, 05:36 PM
No limits.
Just simply the fact that ammo and reloading components are getting more expensive and (for me, anyways, it makes it more expensive to feed multiple calibers) retirees don’t have extra income; unless they retire rich.

Camba
12-20-2021, 05:42 PM
I have settled with the 35 caliber. That means: 9mm, 38/357mag/max, 358 win, 35whelen, and of course, Ive got to have .22 centerfire, 7mm, and 30 cal, not counting my .22 LR/mag guns too.
For deer hunting I will use the 357 max and only use the others for paper punching.

Camba
12-20-2021, 05:44 PM
I am calling my 357 Maximum my retirement rifle/ caliber combination. The rest I could sell as someone already said it in previous responses.

bangerjim
12-20-2021, 10:41 PM
No limits.
Just simply the fact that ammo and reloading components are getting more expensive and (for me, anyways, it makes it more expensive to feed multiple calibers) retirees don’t have extra income; unless they retire rich.

Most normal working people do not have "extra income" either! You spend your salary/money/income where your interests are.

I get rather upset with many older/retired people saying "I live on a fixed income". Most younger working people out here DO "live on a fixed income" also....their salary week to week. Pretty much fixed! They don't find extra money just growing in trees!!!!!

Nothing new at all, for most of us. Just something for others to whine about.

GhostHawk
12-21-2021, 05:54 AM
To be honest, all of my rifles are Retirement rifles. Pair of nice 43/44 Moison's, a 53 SKS, then I got bit by the H&R/NEF single shot bug.

.223 Rem, 7,62x39, .300BO, 9mm (Stub job, but a joy to shoot and a nice light woods walking gun)
.357 mag that gets mag loads in .360DW brass, .444marlin, pair of .44mags, a .45 colt. Half a dozen shotgun barrels including one .30-30/20 ga combo that is my pride and joy.

I do wish I could get someone to build me a lightweight .32sw long.
And if I came across a .22 hornet at the right price it would come home with me.

Been a fun journey.

sukivel
12-21-2021, 06:30 AM
To be honest, all of my rifles are Retirement rifles. Pair of nice 43/44 Moison's, a 53 SKS, then I got bit by the H&R/NEF single shot bug.

.223 Rem, 7,62x39, .300BO, 9mm (Stub job, but a joy to shoot and a nice light woods walking gun)
.357 mag that gets mag loads in .360DW brass, .444marlin, pair of .44mags, a .45 colt. Half a dozen shotgun barrels including one .30-30/20 ga combo that is my pride and joy.

I do wish I could get someone to build me a lightweight .32sw long.
And if I came across a .22 hornet at the right price it would come home with me.

Been a fun journey.

You NEED a 22 hornet in a H&R!!! I love mine!

Camba
12-21-2021, 10:25 AM
Ghosthawk,
I too got bitten by the H&R bug and also by the Henry single shot rifle bug.

kenton
12-22-2021, 08:56 PM
Most normal working people do not have "extra income" either! You spend your salary/money/income where your interests are.

I get rather upset with many older/retired people saying "I live on a fixed income". Most younger working people out here DO "live on a fixed income" also....their salary week to week. Pretty much fixed! They don't find extra money just growing in trees!!!!!

Nothing new at all, for most of us. Just something for others to whine about.

Most jobs you expect to get at yearly raise intended to at least help keep up with inflation. Even minimum wage gets raised every now and then for the same reason.`Unless you have a pension that increases yearly or is tied to a inflation index with each passing year your effective income is less and less. That is what living on a fixed income means.

And to the person who will surely proudly proclaim they never got annual or regular raises, I will be the first to congratulate on your declining purchasing power.

Grantb
12-25-2021, 09:39 PM
I just retired after working as a biologist for 43 years; the last 26 in British Columbia. My first center fire was a Remington 700 in 30-06 and I have decided that I will keep it to the end. The caliber meets all my hunting needs and brass is easy to come by. If I need money in my old age, I will sell the 30-40 Krag, the numerous 303s and handguns, but the 30-06 stays.

Anschutz
12-26-2021, 12:35 AM
I retired at 68 from full time work at the sawmill in 2010. they gave me a Ruger M77 in 223 as a retirement gift
I shot the barrel out in 6 years shooting sage rats.
I had the action rebarreled to 221 Fireball with a 26" Benchmark barrel.
It is a true 1/4"-3/8" gun on any day.That sounds like a great little gun. I have a 221 in a contender pistol and it's great. No recoil to speak of. I need a 221 rifle to compliment it but my Hornet would get jealous.

tmanbuckhunter
01-01-2022, 11:01 PM
I guess you could say I already own it, my CPA Stevens 44-1/2. I have a 45/70 barrel I shoot silhouette with, a 40/50 Sharps Bottleneck barrel on the way for the same task, and a 30/40 Krag barrel D&T'd for a modern scope for hunting on the way. Can't see any reason why this gun wouldn't cover me for all my hunting and sporting needs from now until death do us part.

Adk Mike
01-02-2022, 10:58 AM
I’m retiring this spring. Maybe sooner. My go to rifle is a Tang style Ruger 77 in 280. .It’s my go to hunting rifle.
My cast rifle is a low budget Sears branded Winchester in 30-06. I shoot it year round. Just a fun gun to have. I dropped the comb and installed a Lyman peep site. Maybe this year I’ll hunt with it some.

3584ELK
01-24-2022, 04:49 PM
Probably send my 1886 Winchester in to Turnbull for an octagonal barrel and restoration...chambered in .33 Winchester.

Blkpwdrbuff
01-25-2022, 12:17 AM
Well,
My .416 Wilson barrel and Savage 111 action went in to my gunsmith on Thursday.
I've got 100 .338 Win Mag brass, a 3 die set of Lee .416 Taylor dies and just need a mould from Accurate Arms and a Boyd's Laminate stock.
I plan on retiring April 30, 2023 so it all should be good.
The only bummer is my gunsmith is moving to Star Valley, Wyoming when he finishes this rifle.

armouredtrooper
01-30-2022, 10:32 AM
I have and owned many rifles that I've let go of, including a pedersoli Sharps 45-70, much to my chagrin! Currently, I own a savage M10TR .308 that I use exclusively for deer in my province, but recently I've gone to the .54 cal side lock TC Hawken that seems to be my rifle for retirement. I have yet to harvest any game with her, I'm hoping this fall will be the year for me. Some day, I'd love to replace that 45-70 and never let her go.

lead Foot
02-02-2022, 07:28 PM
I have a 1972 Marlin 44mag. Good for waking the creeks for pigs alone. good for the sole.. By the by what is the retirement age in the US?

versa-06
02-03-2022, 11:30 AM
Retire with a Social Security check at 62.

white eagle
02-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Winchester model 70 Featherweight in 220 Swift
and
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 35 Whelen

Adk Mike
02-03-2022, 08:50 PM
My hunting rifle is an old tang safety Ruger in 280. I hunted steady with for 40 plus years.
My shooting rifles are 30-06’s with receiver sites or battle sights . They only see cast .
I do have a nice old 35 Whalen. A Remington 725 from 1958 . Been rebarreled and chambered from a 270 by Jes to 35 Whalen. I think that will be the rifle to use, I retire in about a month

elmacgyver0
02-03-2022, 08:53 PM
I have a 1972 Marlin 44mag. Good for waking the creeks for pigs alone. good for the sole.. By the by what is the retirement age in the US?

A good many retire at 55 mostly government workers.
You can start getting social security at 62 maybe it's 65 at a reduced rate, the longer you hold off the bigger the check.
I held off until 68, tried to retire, but they didn't want to let go of me, so I work part time 3 days a week.
I save more money now than I ever could working full time. Nice to be able to afford a few toys.
I'm sure Ol Sleepy Joe will try to screw that up though.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-03-2022, 09:27 PM
I have the same rifle love it

white eagle
02-04-2022, 12:05 AM
A good many retire at 55 mostly government workers.
You can start getting social security at 62 maybe it's 65 at a reduced rate, the longer you hold off the bigger the check.
I held off until 68, tried to retire, but they didn't want to let go of me, so I work part time 3 days a week.
I save more money now than I ever could working full time. Nice to be able to afford a few toys.
I'm sure Ol Sleepy Joe will try to screw that up though.

later you retire the less time you have to enjoy your hard earned fruits

Randy Bohannon
02-04-2022, 06:13 AM
You will get more $ at 62 than later,you get a slightly smaller S.S. payout monthly but for years and it pays more over the long haul. Everybody now who collects S.S. Is put on Medi -Care regardless of whether or not you ever qualified (this is not good). Nothing good remains to be implemented by this gov.

1hole
02-04-2022, 09:29 PM
A "retirement" rifle? For what use?

I love venson. I have come to prefer deer hunting in my deep southern woodlands where visibility is limited and shots rarely exceed 80 yards but can be as far as 175 yards. For that I need an easily handled rifle and cartridge that's an accurate modest range combo that reliably gets the job done without blowing up a lot of meat or beating hard on my old injury damaged shoulders.

I need, I have, I love and I deer hunt with a perfect condition early 1970s 336 Marlin/.35 Rem with a 1" Pachmyer recoil pad and an old Bushnell 1.75-5x scope low mounted in Redfield's original "Quick Release" steel rings and base. Trigger breaks clean at 3#. The worst of my 200 gr RN @ 2,080 fps Varget handloads run just under 1.4 moa.

Guess I'd take $3,500 for it right now but as long as I'm still on my feet that lovely old device will not be sold at any reasonable price.

Drydock
02-04-2022, 10:39 PM
Already ordered: Shiloh Sharps 1877 #1, .45-70 30" heavy half octagon, D&T for an MVA "A" series scope.

lead Foot
02-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Retire with a Social Security check at 62.

wow' i am 65 Can't get a pension here in Australia till i'm 66 1/2.

lead Foot
02-06-2022, 06:41 PM
later you retire the less time you have to enjoy your hard earned fruits

i agree. You have to slow down and smell the roses.

Char-Gar
02-06-2022, 07:05 PM
I built this 03A3 NRA Sporter just for my retirement. I built it in 2007 and retired in 2008. I did the stock and much of the metal work. I did have a good gunsmith install a new old stock 4 groove SC barrel and another did the metal finish.

unclemikeinct
02-07-2022, 01:35 AM
I built this 03A3 NRA Sporter just for my retirement. I built it in 2007 and retired in 2008. I did the stock and much of the metal work. I did have a good gunsmith install a new old stock 4 groove SC barrel and another did the metal finish. YES Sir, that is old school classy style. unclemikeinct

Flogger
02-07-2022, 01:43 AM
Been buyin my retirement gun for 50 years and still aint got it right. I'm a keep practicing though!!

brass410
02-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Been buyin my retirement gun for 50 years and still aint got it right. I'm a keep practicing though!!

I just found out I qualify for pension as I've been a senior for 5 yrs now, like you, I've been practising what I want for the last 45 yrs or so, I've even figured out what I dont want to do (work full time for self) I've been toying with the idea of maybe lingerie installer or model critique

nockhunter
02-09-2022, 09:34 PM
I was thinking of a Merkel K5 in 7x57.

Mike

Anschutz
02-13-2022, 09:53 PM
I was thinking of a Merkel K5 in 7x57.

MikeThat's a beautiful rifle and excellent choice of chambering.

Rapier
02-14-2022, 09:18 AM
I keep having this problem, solving the problem, then another devil comes up with just one more temptation. The other day, psst, psst, you want to trade, what ya got…. Here we go, down the dark path, of dies, brass, molds, etc.
I do not deer hunt, but….hogs, well, anywhere any time. They make a great excuse to build just one more thumper.
Latest is an older, nice condition, Winchester 94 XTR Big Boy, in 375 Win. Now I need a 375 plan base mould in about 300g. Brass and dies are shipped.

Petander
02-18-2022, 10:26 AM
I think I just got my "Retirement Rifle". A 1982 Sako L579 Super Deluxe 22-250. It was still unfired last week, a famous finnish barrel maker got retired and sold his collection. 22-250 is not whitetail legal here but good for roe deer that are delicious -and spreading fast around here.

I enjoy small groups off the bags and I know my shoulder problems are coming back one day. 59 years now, had a stent for five years already. Pre-retired if you like.

https://i.postimg.cc/k4sSTtvs/IMG-20220218-WA0001.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/xCfJN1Vz/IMG-20220218-WA0004.jpg

My barrel break-in shots #9-11pictured here, Norma factory 55 FMJ:s @ 100 meters:

https://i.postimg.cc/DyR87cCH/IMG-20220212-154459-752-6.jpg

This one should hold under 2" @ 300 meters. Most of these did. They don't make these like they used to...

nockhunter
02-18-2022, 11:26 AM
That is a Beauty! I love the old Sako's, I have a 22PPC single shot.

Mike

Baltimoreed
02-18-2022, 12:38 PM
This was my most expensive retirement ‘rifle’. A sbr’ed Auto Ordnance WH 1927a1.

smokeater
03-02-2022, 10:18 PM
After having and selling several Savage 308Wins, bought myself a Savage Apex Hunter in 308Win and am well pleased. Main use will be during hunting season with rest of the time feeding it cast boolits for fun times at the range.

missionary5155
03-03-2022, 08:15 AM
The old Chicago typewriter. I have considered one of those.

yetavon
03-03-2022, 08:27 AM
Well I bought it just before retiring, and call it my retirement gift, but doubtful its my last purchase.
PSA parts and built a GEN3 AR-10 in 308. Had all of the components to reload, a friend gave me an extra set of dies...
So why not build the gun..

Guess I cant post a pic yet

Rapier
03-03-2022, 09:31 AM
Well settled on a 250 grain plain base flat point mold PCed and 1680 for the 375 Win 94 XTR.
But already the 35 Whelen barrel is calling me back to the lathe, the barrel is not finished up yet. I still need to turn the 1968 Rem 700 action .010 over, square and true it. The 35 is a great 200g cast shooter.

popper
03-03-2022, 11:38 AM
I'm retired and have rifles, so all of them.

OKMike
03-11-2022, 07:29 PM
A big ol sharps that shoots a big long brass cartridge…..

FickleThings
03-11-2022, 11:01 PM
Johnson M1 Carbine in 5.7 Johnson. No recoil, lightweight and a classic perfect for rabbits

Beaverhunter2
03-14-2022, 08:56 PM
A long, slim .32 percussion squirrel rifle with a 42" or so, 3/4 inch barrel in a nice, full length piece of maple or maybe walnut.

I made one of these about 20 years ago. Love it! With my now-retired eyes it has a peep and a fiber optic front sight, but the squirrels fear it. 30gr FFFg T7 and a patched .310 RB. Ballistically it's like BP .22 mag but it's surprisingly destructive. Mine has an oil finished tiger maple stock. When my 9 yo daughter saw it she asked if I was going to sand those stripes off of it! LOL

BTW if any of you that think a .32 is light- Daniel Boone's "Ticklicker" was a .27 caliber and John Johnston (the real "Jeremiah Johnson") had a favorite rifle- a .30 caliber Hawken (contrary to the movie). Both of them killed a lot of things much larger than squirrels....

Have fun!

John

boingk
03-15-2022, 11:08 PM
If I had to pick just one it'd probably be my Marlin 45-70GBL as I'd seriously regret getting rid of it. The damn thing, despite being a Remlin, just works flawlessly and is easy to load for plus with such a wide variety of projectile weights and large powder volume to work with it is very versatile.

After that it'd be my little Norinco 22. Lovely thing and pleasant to shoot.

Lastly its the tacticool Citadel 44 Magnum. Awesome rifle and very capable in its own right, from mild to wild.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX-soCjYQEjpeI5krWcvAeT2td1gg21RlBxdiRr-vwvKmjyiKwr68r9Rm86NjjW1uvw05ZXKzn8z_P6pepyKyUvD2i 0pHu7pXoq7RVxBGkEHpjG_vDBy39bLHuRMfAJkFPp8DkDXjGoN rXLhgk5KejL=w983-h738-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW4DEJjvycrsy1klo_HVQyYDRfduoBjWrAMIBBjF63xm_aJo tE6k6XqL9fC0gotTNz1w3cD1m3hbJeXIdF9U9MZkKrqBVNzfcK P7SxCh2_Pia6zKst1f2heBDEZt2j_DTNHpTHKTmz9vlJym0FC7 Znp=w983-h738-no?authuser=0

tdoor4570
03-16-2022, 09:29 AM
After my last trip to the pawn shops and gun shops I am not allowed to go there alone and unsupervised, I always seem to bring something home with me .

selmerfan
03-19-2022, 12:17 AM
If I can only have one, it's my great-grandfather's Stevens 44 1/2 that I already own. I've got the original .22 LR match barrel for it, plus a .30-40 Krag barrel built by CPA rifles. If I retired in Iowa and the laws for deer hunting stay the same as they are now, I'd get a .357 Max barrel made for it. The only downside is that I couldn't use it during the late muzzleloader season like I can my .35 caliber handguns.

Jedman
03-19-2022, 08:33 AM
I am still actively looking for my dream rifle. I have been retired now for a long time so it wount be a retirement rifle but beautiful wood still gets me excited so one day I may find it.
The caliber might be one of my wildcat ideas that I haven’t yet done. I handload 90 % of the calibers that I shoot and no matter how old I get I can’t see that part changing !
Jedman

Cosmic_Charlie
03-19-2022, 09:16 AM
Mine is used and sitting in the lgs. 50's vintage model 70 in 30-06, clean with nicely figured wood. But $1,300.......

mogwai
04-03-2022, 09:02 PM
Savage 99 in 358

wallacem
04-04-2022, 11:27 AM
Been reloading over 50 years, over 50 different calibers. Recently reduced the herd by 135 "items". Did buy one in the process. Have been wanting a Encore rifle barrel by MGM in 357 Maximum, so got it and it is really nice. Shoots great too. Wallacem in Ga

4575wcf
04-13-2022, 01:18 PM
My retirement rifle turns out to be one I have owned for a long, long time. I bought a heavily remodeled M91 Mauser when in my teens, it had been converted to the .308 Winchester cartridge through some creative gunsmithing using the original barrel. After years of loading the thing down, using .311 bullets in the .308 case I finally updated it to a cast bullet gun. Over the years I had it fitted with a Redfield receiver sight, and then later I fitted it with a Williams side mount and HCO rings. I put an old Bushnell Scopechief 4x with a post on it and never looked back for hunting. The old scope has pretty coarse adjustments and doesn't look like much, but it stays put year after year and that is what matters. This year I updated the gun for a "wild" pig hunt in Shoshone ID. I put in a used military 8 x 57 barrel from a '93 Turkish Mauser, set back the barrel to fit the modified (not by me!) receiver, and chambered the gun for the 8 x 54 Krag Jorgensen.

Eddie Southgate
04-13-2022, 02:37 PM
I have added a retirement rifle to the list . I have finally been able to buy the grail rifle that I have spent the last fifty some odd years wanting. Yesterday I did a deal on a 1936 long tang Winchester model 71 with the bolt peep sight. the first article I ever read was a 1950's piece by Townsend Whelen on the model 71 and the different wildcats built on the .348 , that was probably 64 or 65 and I have wanted one every since. I didn't buy collector grade just a standard rifle with what looks like a good quality re-blue. I am a shooter not a collector and this will be drug thru the woods for whatever time I got left .

atr
04-13-2022, 06:53 PM
ok...I'm 75 and this is my last year of working. Been doing this job for 45 years.
my retirement rifle...Savage 99 in 300 Savage.
its sitting in the rifle rack now!

Camba
05-04-2022, 06:28 PM
I think I will also have a PCP and a springer air rifles in .22 cal to economize in ammo for target shooting fun and small game adventures.

Scorpion8
05-04-2022, 06:32 PM
As I get closer to retirement, I can’t help to think on the rifle and caliber combination that will allow me to continue my shooting sports without busting my retirement budget.
Assumptions:
1. You can buy your dream rifle before retirement. ( what action/make/model)
2. Caliber: something you would not break the bank when buying ammo. Reload equipment already bought. Componentes are readily available (brass, bullets, primers, etc).
3. Don’t forget recoil sensitivity for older and arthritis issues with some folks.

What your retirement rifle would be and what caliber?

I've already planned that out. 20+ Years ago I picked up and stashed a Ruger M77 Mk.II in .257 Roberts. Easy to shoot, components are available (factory ammo it seems is NOT), I laid in a stash of 7x57 Mauser brass and all the dies, etc. Never been out of the bag/box except to wipe it down with oil in all that time.

skeettx
05-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Enjoy your Roberts, I shoot a Remington 722 and it is amazing and fun

303Guy
05-13-2022, 10:29 PM
I have settle on one very old and well used 303 Brit carbine. It's light and dandy and I just like it. It's a 1898 action with a Martini carbine barrel and a sporter butt stock.

https://i.postimg.cc/XqZdkvLy/32.5gr_W748_206gr_XIX_PP_003.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Yes, I do have a newer rifle - it's a 1902 Lee Enfield.

https://i.postimg.cc/VkDDtz1G/1902_LE_I_006.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Actually, I have a far more modern rifle.

https://i.postimg.cc/rpZHsLfV/MVC-394F_edited.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It's a 1942 No.4

This one has been my prime hunting rifle but now that I've retired, I'm more interested in the little carbine with its original Martini sights. I'm also more interest in the hunt than actually harvesting something.

But that said, I'm keeping all my old rifles - well, most of them anyway. My 22's are what I shoot the most. My prize possession is my late father's 22 Mauser.

https://i.postimg.cc/RC1KPRN4/DSCF3091(1).jpg (https://postimages.org/)

warren5421
05-21-2022, 09:03 AM
Now that I have reached 77 my retirement rifle has changed. The Sharps and High Walls have gotten to heavy to shoot off hand. I am looking at a flintlock long rifle in .45 cal. I can hunt with it as it is 1/2 the weight of my other big rifles. True I can't hold 1" at 1000 yards :kidding:, not even at 50 yards, but can still hold minute of deer. It is also fun to watch a kid jump when they shoot it and the pan flashes. Most don't come close to the target.

1Papalote
05-21-2022, 09:44 AM
Agree with Warren. I too wanted a Sharps or a Highwall but found them to be weight prohibitive, the reason I sold my 444T. Years of turning valves and pounding T-posts have damaged my elbows. My retirement "rifle" actually turned into a 5.5" Ruger FT Bisley 44 Special.

sheriffjohm
05-22-2022, 02:33 PM
Retired 18 years ago. Too many acquired to have one favorite. Old reliable is a FN .270 bolt gun for cartridge deer, Steyr Mannlicher .222 Rem for varmints, and Sako .22 for squirrels in modern guns. Most fun are my flintlocks and percussions. Retirement is just a whole lot more time to have fun. Enjoy.

405grain
05-22-2022, 03:25 PM
It usually takes me over a year to build a sporter on a milsurp action, but after I retire that pace might quicken. I've got other rifles to finish first, so it will be after I'm retired when I get to build this: a sporting rifle based on a pattern 1914 Enfield receiver with M1917 internals in caliber 9.5x57 Mannlicher-Schoenaur. I already have all the goodies; stock blank, barrel blank, action + aftermarket trigger, chambering reamer & gauges, metal lathe and tools, reloading equipment (including hundreds of rounds of new 30-06 brass for forming), and most importantly - the boolit molds. All I need is time.

DW475
05-23-2022, 12:58 AM
Already have my retirement rifle. Shiloh Sharps 45-90 and plenty of lead and powder to keep it fed.

vhntr1
05-23-2022, 07:03 AM
Already have my retirement rifle. Shiloh Sharps 45-90 and plenty of lead and powder to keep it fed.
Love my shiloh sharps just put a 100 rds through it this weekend at a silhouette match at friendship im 5 yrs from retirement go out and play when you can.

hoodat
05-23-2022, 09:26 PM
I've started a "rifle system" for my retirement rifle. Took my old Rem 700, 222Rem, and bought a new barrel chambered in 20-222.
It's a Remage nut barrel, so I can swap it out for other cartridges of the same case head family. AND--- I've got another bolt with 308 bolt face that will work with the same short action, so I can expand my cartridge choices.
This stock is a 40x rimfire fairly heavy solid walnut, and the barrel is 26" heavy shorter. Kind of a old school bench-rest set up. It's a real shooter, and now scoped with a Vortex Viper 5x25 PST, and weighs in at 12 lbs.

I've got three other stocks for this system - Boyds Laminate, Rem Tupperware, and an old 722 walnut. The next barrel is going to be a 20" light sporter in the same 20 cal. cartridge. Purpose will be for walking/calling coyote rifle.

This cartridge is so sweet and easy to load for and shoots soooooo good. I've hardly ever shot a group as big as an inch. Mostly .3 to .4 MOA

I've got it set up as single shot right now, but I've got the ADL box and follower to put it back to a repeater. It may be the last rifle I ever buy. New premium barrels for $500 a pop, and no gunsmith required. jd

Ozarkflyflinger
06-25-2022, 05:57 PM
Winchester 1885 in 45-70
With Lee Shaver sights installed.
Black Powder Cartridge is a hoot.
Amazing Accuracy

gutshot_again
07-04-2022, 11:23 AM
CZ 527 carbine in 223 with leupold 2.5x8. Turkey gun in fall with cast. Coyote gun in winter with the other bullets. Just plain fun plinking in summer with grandson with bullets we swaged ourselves. It'll be his.

Fitz
07-04-2022, 12:35 PM
If and when I retire that will be when I can finally enjoy ALLL the toys that I have worked my backside off to get and reloaded enough ammo to last my lifetime without running low or cut into my budget

Anschutz
07-04-2022, 03:46 PM
CZ 527 carbine in 223 with leupold 2.5x8. Turkey gun in fall with cast. Coyote gun in winter with the other bullets. Just plain fun plinking in summer with grandson with bullets we swaged ourselves. It'll be his.I've got a 527 Lux in .22 Hornet that is a joy to shoot and carry. I got it as a grouse gun when I couldn't find .22LR.

Hootmix
07-04-2022, 09:08 PM
Bought my forever retirement rifle about 10yrs. ago. Saw a picture of "HER" on a gun auction, "OH YEOW", texted the feller and had him tell me her (his) story, placed my bid and got'er. She's a 40-60 Chaparral, w/ 26" barrel, got her home fixed a couple small "ouches", and as they say the rest is history. She'll be in my estate sale, love the history of the 76's, and she feel's like she enjoys being held against my shoulder. How many rounds??? Been having to slow down with the way things are, hate seeing her just lying in her case (sigh), but things are looking up. (Not too mushy?).

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Rich/WIS
07-11-2022, 03:35 PM
Retired for the first time in 1992 after 20 years in the Army. Retired for the second time in 2012 with early SS. Found the rifle I wanted a few years ago, a Ruger #3 in 30/40. Had been restocked with pistol grip stock, nice shooter and enough power for the deer hunting I do, and is just plain fun with cast loads. Liked it so much I bought a second one and replaced the butt stock with one from a Ruger #1. Really wanted a No 1 in 30/40 but missed the boat on the limited run. Have other rifles, a Win M70 controlled feed in 243, a much remodeled Rem 513T in 22LR, and a 1903A3 but for CF prefer the Krag.

rockydoc
08-05-2022, 07:28 PM
It sounds as if your “retirement rifle “ will be your last rifle. Well I didn’t get the message. I have been retired 16 years and have purchased several rifles since retiring.

My most fun rifle is a Winchester 1892 in 357 Magnum. I have 35 caliber molds in the following weights: 107, 120, 125, 130, 140, 148, 150,158, 163, 180, 190 and 200, so I can do a lot of low cost plinking or some serious short range hunting with that gun.

A couple of other post retirement purchases are a Kimber 84M Classic 260 Remington with a Zeiss 2.5-10T scope and a Ruger #1 in 30-30 with a Vortex 1-8 scope.

I shoot cast in all my rifles except the 260 REM and the 264 Winchester Magnum.

I think my next rifle will be a PCP air rifle in 25 caliber.

Rocky

Milky Duck
08-06-2022, 01:14 AM
Ive toyed with this idea for years....the right rifle MAY have just come along...... take a bakail single shot break open that is chambered in 222 remington and rechamber it to the older .22hp savage with tighter neck..... then use .224 expander ball in the dies and shoot modern projectiles in the older cartridge..... just because its different and a rimmed cartridge is nice in a break open gun. will see. I may just keep as trebly.

missionary5155
08-06-2022, 03:50 AM
Single shots with rimed cartridges ... Hard to beat that combination !

sukivel
08-07-2022, 07:38 AM
Single shots with rimed cartridges ... Hard to beat that combination !

Yeah…with two barrels is twice gooder!

hawkeye1
08-09-2022, 08:13 PM
I have always wanted a Ruger 77, with tang safety, in 257 Roberts. Have been looking for an affordable one.

BLAHUT
08-09-2022, 08:44 PM
I was forced into retiremant a long time a go. I switched over to air guns. ,01cent a shot for pellets. I can shoot in my basement rainge at 10 meters, keeps my eye and trigher finger sharp. So if i do get a chance to shoot some meat i still have confidence. Ever a chep preak barrel .177 can keep you in the game and cheap. I shoot about 100 shots a day and some times up to 500 shots depend on how i feel>> even shooting one of my .22 rimfires i could not shoot as much on the cheeap>> cheap and easy practice and i don't even need to drive anywhere>>>

alamogunr
08-09-2022, 10:19 PM
I just came across this thread. Don't know how I missed for the past year but have read almost every word. What a range of interests in rifles.

I've been retired for 16 years and just turned 80. I'm looking at a quote for a Daystate PCP rifle including scope and air cylinder. I've got a
Weihrauch HW95 in .22 but the cocking is getting to me when I want to shoot a lot. It will probably go to one of the sons or grandsons. I've gotten to the point that I don't spend additional $$ on guns or related equipment unless I sell something and raise enough money to pay for it.

I could probably wait awhile and get an even higher end Daystate but at this age you don't put things off. I've got more guns than I'll ever shoot again and really need to get rid of some or give them to the above sons and grandsons.

Camba
09-04-2022, 04:08 PM
Alamogunr,
I like the way you think. I too will be looking into a high end pcp rifle like the Daystate. It gives you more volume enjoyable shooting; and with a good dutst collector, you can do it right at home even in a rainy day.
I do have some pcp and springer rifles but none is a Daystate quality. Selling some of the rifles I am not shooting for a while, will give the funds for that. I like that idea.
Camba

quilbilly
09-05-2022, 01:56 PM
In four weeks it will be my turn to retire (mostly). Two weeks ago I decided to go frivolous and ordered a Henry Big Boy X in 45LC since I already have a Blackhawk in that old caliber. So far, I have only function tested it from my "porch range" and it is buttery smooth with the boolits I cast for the Blackhawk.

versa-06
09-05-2022, 07:42 PM
quilbilly; A major congratulations to you & your retirement. Also That 45 that will keep you buisy dodging honey doo's.

Krh1326
09-05-2022, 08:48 PM
I stuck it out with my trusty Marlin .35 Rem. I remember the day, that my dad took me, by surprise, when I turned 16, to Leslie Edelman’s. My dad worked hard, all his life, I’ve seen him bleed and sweat, and go without. I can still see him, counting out the dollars, to buy me, the same deer rifle that he had. Now my son has my dads, and God willing, his son will have mine.

dale2242
09-06-2022, 08:11 AM
The sawmill I worked for 40 years gave me a Ruger Hawkeye in 223 caliber.
Within 10 years I had put somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 rounds through it, mostly shooting sage rats.
I then replaced the barrel with a heavy match grade 221 FB barrel and Boyds varmint style thumbhole stock.
This is truly a 1/4- 3/8 MOA rifle now.
I have made consistent hits to 300 yds +.

sailcaptain
09-06-2022, 08:53 AM
My retirement rifle is, has been and always will be 1892 Winchester 44-40. I’m open to a slightly newer year and older as well. It will be for target, hunting and fun. The search continues.
I’ve purchased the dies for 44-40. Next is the bullet mold. So I’m setting up its home and calling it in.

Cowboy Joe
09-08-2022, 03:07 AM
For me, the Marlin 1895 .45-70. So many different handloads to explore and add casting on top. Shoot from mild to wild, with iron or glass sights with disconnect rings. Capable of going on any hunt that I might do in retirement. Plus a rich history of this caliber to read about in the evenings.

Retirement revolver? Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt Convertible. Similar reasons. Mild cowboy loads, even if I want to shoot .45 ACP, to +P hand cannon rounds. Lots of history. Fun to handload and cast for.

Both in stainless, so to be resilient in any weather. Shoot, shoot, shoot so to intimately know the characteristics of my favorite handloads.

If I get a bonus rifle, it would probably be a .22lr of some sort. Not sure which one I’d focus on, but I have a Ruger single six convertible already to go with it in the revolver department.

Too much fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plainsman
09-22-2022, 03:55 PM
I'm already hoping mine will be available next year! A Stainless Steel Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum is a perfect fit in my mind.

Mikedominick
09-29-2022, 08:50 PM
I ordered a 40-65 Shiloh from Bill Goodman this year when I set the date, it came in almost a 2 months to the day after
I retired. It sits with a 45-70 LRE, and a 50-90 Shiloh Hartford model I had ordered 30 years ago when I got out of the Air Force. Now I have to get loading for all 3

Concerned Aussie
09-30-2022, 03:21 AM
Possibly mines being built right now 25 years ahead of time 😁.
It’s a custom 22lr squeeze bore down to .204 nice & mild , cheap to shoot . Apparently a 200 yard rabbit rifle & after 100 yards catches & better’s the 22 magnum. Oh well haven’t got it yet but it shouldn’t be far off now.

rintinglen
10-01-2022, 01:55 PM
My Savage 1899 in 303 savage does it for me. The 303 Savage is a 30-30 equivalent that shares all of the latter's good points, save for common availability. It is light, doesn't kick the bejeezus out of me, and looks right. I reload and bought a bunch of the PPU brass from the good folks at Graff and Sons, so unless I turn out to be the next Methuselah, I am set for life.

My Winchester model 71 almost made the cut, but is just too heavy.

TXCOONDOG
10-11-2022, 03:18 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones that retired at 51 (30 years for the state). Mine was a 44 mag and 30-30 and I have both but would like to get another lever action in 35 or 45-70 made in 1970 (birth year).