PDA

View Full Version : How’s the bluefish hitting off Cape Cod?

marlin39a
08-08-2021, 03:55 PM
I’m getting old now, living in Arizona. I remember summer fishing in Cape Cod Bay for the blue fish. Used to troll rigs, and catch multiple fish. They were greasy fish, but were great smoked. Any members catching these fine fish?

BJK
08-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Can't help with Cape Cod blues.

Many decades ago I would catch them off of the NJ coast and sell my catch to the fish mongers on the main drag. I don't know if they would sell them fresh or smoke them. They all had smoke houses. If they were put on ice immediately after being caught that did wonders for the quality. The oils didn't have time to turn. I actually liked bluefish when it was iced. Plus they were fun to catch when they were in the chum slick. I'd go out on a party boat and cast to the fringes of the school. It was extremely rare that I wouldn't take the pool for the largest fish. My trip would pay for itself between that and selling most of my catch.

Like yourself I haven't done that in many decades and the last time I was down there all the fish smokehouses are gone. I loved smoked whiting and couldn't buy any.

Todays world is so different on so many levels.

NyFirefighter357
08-08-2021, 09:49 PM
Haven't been out in many years either but the party boats are getting $75-$100 per adult 6hr trip. Bleed the Blues and ice them. Coat the blues with mayo and wrap with tinfoil. The mayo flushes out the oils.