PDA

View Full Version : Looking for scope suggestions

Thumbcocker
08-07-2021, 07:22 PM
I have confirmed that the C Z 527, .223, has potential as a lead slinger. It currently wears a Leupold variety x II 2x7. When I shoot at 200 yards I use the point of the bottom cross hair for an aiming point.

I would like to get a scope with some sort of cross hairs or bars for holdover without too much other stuff inside the scope. Some of the tactical scopes look like you need to be a PhD mathematician to use them. Suggestions would be welcome.

Mk42gunner
08-07-2021, 08:14 PM
I am also not a fan of cluttered scopes. Some of the newish ones have hashmarks on the lower part of the vertical crosshair, but none anywhere else. I can see where they would be useful.

I know a few of the last Pentax scopes were set up that way, I have one of the 3X versions. I think Bushnell makes some too.

Robert

foesgth
08-07-2021, 08:39 PM
The problem I have found, is that most holdover systems are for jacketed bullets. What I do is buy a scope with a target turret. That is one of those large turrets that doesn't live under a cap. I then put a strip of white tape around the turret. At our range we have target stands every 100 yards. I set a target up at say 200 yards. Get the scope sighted in for my load. Use a fine sharpie to mark the point. Continue for as far as you feel you can shoot. When I change point of aim I go a couple of clicks past my mark and come back down to the mark. With some of the scopes the you can get a custom engraved turret.
This system works for me as I am always screwing around with a different mold or powder. New scopes I can't afford! I am however equipped with a big roll of white tape

Winger Ed.
08-07-2021, 08:47 PM
I like simple cross hairs too, and really like my Leupold Varix IIIs with the duplex reticle, 1" tube, and 40mm objective.

If you're mostly shooting at 200. I'd zero for that.
Then determine how high it is at 100.
Either go with that or know how many 'clicks' it takes to change from one zero to another.

It's not an exact figure, but it's fairly common for a 200 yard zero to hit close to one inch high at 100,
and 2-3 inches low at 300 for full house jacketed rifle ammo .30-ish cal. or smaller.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-07-2021, 09:44 PM
Mostly I have Leupold's with the Duplex, but I have several Burris Fullfield II's that have a Duplex with the addition of several 'ranging' marks below the crosshair in the reticle. I have the Fullfield's in 2-7, 3-9 and a couple 4.5-14x42. I think the Burris Fullfield II is one of the best bargains in scopes available today. I do have a rangefinder, but have not gotten into 'dial spinning' when hunting.

cwtebay
08-07-2021, 11:30 PM
I like the primary arms system. Simple to use, simple to adjust your shooting style to, and a ton of bang for your buck.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Czech_too
08-08-2021, 03:54 AM
A scope I bought recently is a Leupold Freedom model with the TRI-MOA reticle.
I strongly dislike what I refer to as a 'busy' reticle.

smithnframe
08-08-2021, 06:30 AM
Check out Hawke scopes!

cwlongshot
08-08-2021, 06:53 AM
I LOVE MY HAWKE SCOPES!!! I also like my Primary Arms and that ACSS reticule.

Earlier this year I bought two TRU-GLO 4-14 scopes cause Midway had them 99$ from 279$. I like them allot. Nice reticules 30mm clear optics. I mounted one on a ar and one on a hunting bolt. I recently learned that these are NOT WATER PROOF!! WHAT???? Only water resistant. So I have delegated them to range duty only. I ha e a Mossberg Predator 223/556 bolt thats only used for varmints and range. So one scope will live there. The second might be my testing scope to prove accuracy. But the scope isnt really proven itself yet... Anyhow this might be a option but there would be a learning curve as it is a MOA scope and a First Focal plane. So the reticule "grows" with magnification. Its reticule has strada lines and is not complicated locking target turrets so looks a bit tactical. Once ya get the MOA its real simple. The reticule AND turrets are MOA sounds stupid to say that as its really necessary but many cheaper optics toute that have a MOA reticule but they use 1/4" turrets & that just dont jive.
This scope is identical to the Primary Arms. (Only PA is water proof)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020074456

CW

243winxb
08-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Bushnell DOA & life time warrenty.
Free bushnell ballistics app
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/banner-2/banner-2-4-12x40-riflescope/BU-RB4124BS11.html