PDA

View Full Version : short ladder sight and ft to match

hard88cast
08-06-2021, 07:25 PM
working on starting a lever build and would like a SHORT ladder sight, lets say 200-300 yd max, any 3/8" dovetails that match that. Looking for antique or repro antique.
With a front sight to match at point blank at 50yds or less.
This will be going on a browning model 71.
Ive searched a bunch, came up with what i think is a 73 win or maybe 66 win/volcano 300yd sight, but really no info that i can find, just a pic. Would like a winchester product but really doesnt matter, marlin, marbles etc.

I dont want a 3 leaf express.
any ideas or websites to go to, ive exhausted most web sights and all i can find are the typical tall ladders.
thanks

Misery-Whip
08-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Did you look at skinner sights? Their ladder is dovetailed, maybe 1.5 tall. They also have a brass dovetail front sight that is meant to be filed down.

hpbear101
08-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Just a thought, I don't know that a real short ladder sight would look right on a 1895. Have you given thought to a Lyman 21 sight (BACO sells a copy). My brother has one on a 405 and they are a nice sight for hunting as it is easy to adjust for range.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/21-type-long-sight-blued-ptclongb.html

JFE
08-06-2021, 08:45 PM
If you can’t find what you want locally, these are available in Australia:

https://www.pakenhamfirearms.com.au/exclusive-products/reproduction-winchester-ladder-sight/

They also have a reproduction Winchester 3 leaf sight that used to be optioned on the larger calibres.

pietro
08-07-2021, 10:30 AM

Google: "ladder sight for sale"

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/sight-rear-tang-ladder-sight-carbine-winchester-1873-1892-1894-p-1407.html

https://thea.com/Vintage-Gun-Parts-Ladder-Rear-Sight/

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/7593/category_id/578/product_name/EP1930+WINCH+CARBINE+REAR+SIGHT+LATE

Use this sight height calculator to determine the needed height of the front sight to match the chosen ladder sight in it's folded position:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13186

hard88cast
08-07-2021, 11:04 AM
hpbear,, this is a browning model 71,
misery whip, im trying to stay away from the tall ladders, im building a very short range rifle.
I just bought a bunch of parts from homestead, been to there site. Actually been to those sites you folks listed.
None of the sights actually tell the dimensions but all ladders so far seem to be 1 1/2" tall.

The one sight that I found a pic of was a flip up, it had the regular v notch for point blank, then a flip up that had a small hole/diamond shape, then a v notch on top, that was it, looks to be 1/2" tall above point blank. i will try and find that pic again, might have been a volcano or 66.

hard88cast
08-07-2021, 11:06 AM
I do see lots of Winchester parts and knowledge coming out of Australia.
How easy is it to buy from Australia as far as shipping times, things getting lost in the post,,customs, import fees etc.

hard88cast
08-07-2021, 11:09 AM
pietro, wow, that site calculator is the neatest. Ive been thinking over that issue for quite a while. Thanks for sharing that.

pietro
08-07-2021, 03:03 PM

You're welcome....

BTW, the "Winchester Carbine" ladder sight is the shortest ladder sight available, on the order of 1-1/4" to 1-1/2".

JFE
08-07-2021, 04:55 PM
I do see lots of Winchester parts and knowledge coming out of Australia.
How easy is it to buy from Australia as far as shipping times, things getting lost in the post,,customs, import fees etc.

We don’t have the crazy restrictions the US has for exports. For restricted items you would need an export permit and these are generally free - they just take time and form filling to keep the bureaucracy happy. Our post is generally OK but expensive and can be a little slow at times. For an export it will generally be more dependant on the US end for customs, taxes etc. The sight I linked would not need an export permit.

hpbear101
08-08-2021, 12:13 AM
The lyman 21 was made for the 1886 as well so it should fit a 71.

hard88cast
08-08-2021, 07:01 PM
Ok, what sight would be 1 1/4"..

Hpbear, thanks for the heads up on the Lyman site, I appreciate it. Actually this is such a short range rifle won't be time for a peep as a main source sight. I do want to add a tang peep for the odd elk that gets in my way though.

Harleysboss
08-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Check out Skinner sights. I put a ladder sight on my 38-55. Made in Montana. Excellent quality.

Mk42gunner
08-08-2021, 09:14 PM
If you have your heart set on a 300 yard max range ladder sight, I think you are going to have to make your own. Or have it made ($$$$$).

Going by several of the Civil War era 3-500 yard sights; I doubt you will need a ladder more than 3/4" tall, even with a fairly high front sight.

Good Luck and pictures of what you end up with please,

Robert

Dan Cash
08-08-2021, 09:27 PM
hpbear,, this is a browning model 71,
misery whip, im trying to stay away from the tall ladders, im building a very short range rifle.
I just bought a bunch of parts from homestead, been to there site. Actually been to those sites you folks listed.
None of the sights actually tell the dimensions but all ladders so far seem to be 1 1/2" tall.

The one sight that I found a pic of was a flip up, it had the regular v notch for point blank, then a flip up that had a small hole/diamond shape, then a v notch on top, that was it, looks to be 1/2" tall above point blank. i will try and find that pic again, might have been a volcano or 66.

If this is going on a M71 rifle for short range work, why the heck do you want a ladder sight? Ladders did not come on 71s as far as I know. The .348 Win has a trajectory similar to an -06 out to 250 - 300 yards so it would seem a 150 yard/250 yard 2 leaf sight would serve you well. In fact, what is wrong with the standard elevator type sight for your purpose?

hard88cast
08-09-2021, 07:34 AM
Dan, I understand my 71 did not come with a ladder....a ladder is just my preference. Maybe I need more practice with the standard 71 elevator but its a two handed manipulation to raise the elevator. A flip up to me is much easier and one handed, and the flipup I want doesn't have an adjustable bar, down is point blank, up is 200 & 300.
A two leaf sight could work as long as it is a stout design and the leafs are not fragile.

KCSO
08-09-2021, 10:35 AM
I have a ladder for the 1895 but it is like 800 yards and a screw on sight. I put a climin lyman on the gun and really like it.