PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on teaching others to reload

farmbif
08-06-2021, 05:27 PM
ive been pondering idea of teaching others to reload in maybe small group/ like maybe class like sessions. what got me thinking of this is I have a friend who is involved with lots of shooters. years ago he was on national geographic prepper show and over the years has kind of has a community of fellow preppers but he doesn't reload nor do many if any of his fellow peppers but they all do lots of target practice. there is one local gun shop that does have a good variety of powder, projectiles and right now limited primers. the prices have never been cheap there, compared to powder valley or Midsouth or Grafs, but there are supplies available local. maybe its just a crazy idea that could open me top to some crazy liability issues.
has anyone else taught more than one person at a time to reload?

DCB
08-06-2021, 05:38 PM
I only go one at a time. Its to easy to get distracted.
Start with a reloading manual,

rcslotcar
08-06-2021, 06:00 PM
I've taught several friends to reload over the years. Only one at a time and they are always hands on from the first step. There is a lot to learn from caliber, bullet weight, powder selection,etc. I've also helped in their selection of what equipment is needed and reloading manuals. It is always fun to see them progress into a capable safe reloader. I also advise to stock up on components that are available that can be used or traded.

pworley1
08-06-2021, 06:31 PM
I only work one on one and only with people I know really well.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-06-2021, 06:35 PM
I have started a few people in reloading. I always give them a book on the subject and don't go further until they have finished the book. Has worked out very well. I even give them the gear.

rancher1913
08-06-2021, 07:07 PM
I have contemplated organizing classes on reloading and casting but the logistics deter me. I dont want a bunch of people in my home much less my reloading area and trying to move all the needed equipment to a public space seems a bit to much work for the meagre stipend you could charge. if I had a business backer like a gun shop that sells the equipment and had a room that could be used would be ideal.

gbrown
08-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Just a question about this, don't want to be a "stick in the mud", but is there a liability question here? I would be hesitant to advertise/volunteer, considering some airheads I hear talking about getting into reloading at LGS. Family, close friend? No problem.

Finster101
08-06-2021, 07:26 PM
I have given away more than on reloading manual. Never had anyone follow up past that.

kerplode
08-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Just a question about this, don't want to be a "stick in the mud", but is there a liability question here? I would be hesitant to advertise/volunteer, considering some airheads I hear talking about getting into reloading at LGS. Family, close friend? No problem.

There is some degree of liability in everything you do. We're a super litigious society with no sense of personal responsibility, and if some jackhole blows his face off after you mentored him, there's a nonzero chance that either he or his family might try to come after you with a lawsuit. Nevermind that he was a jackhole in the first and didn't pay attention to what he was doing, or decided to mangumize something that isn't. If they think they can squeeze you, they'll certainly try. All this is doubly true if jackhole hurt himself with ammo made on your equipment.

But yeah, if I really knew them and knew they were serious and responsible, I might toss them a manual and go from there.

Most people are lazy, though, and likely won't even read the manual much less follow through on buying the equipment and taking lessons.

And gunshop jackholes have no intention of taking up reloading. They're all talk. Hell, most of them don't even shoot on the regular.

dverna
08-06-2021, 08:30 PM
I must be a genius.

Started reloading over 50 years ago. No internet....no mentor...no one in my immediate family was a shooter.

If a person cannot teach him/her self to reload they are either lazy, stupid or both. I do not like being around people like that.

Finster101
08-06-2021, 08:37 PM
I must be a genius.

Started reloading over 50 years ago. No internet....no mentor...no one in my immediate family was a shooter.

If a person cannot teach him/her self to reload they are either lazy, stupid or both. I do not like being around people like that.

Actually, I am like you. I was gifted some things from an older friend who no longer reloaded. I wish he had lived closer but at that time I was in FL and he was in KY. My parents brought it down on vacation and said it was from "The Old Man" . He was a bit older than my dad. I miss them both. I guess in a way I'm kind of like him. I have no kids so when I'm gone it will just be a mess of stuff for my wife to get rid of.

Walks
08-06-2021, 08:37 PM
I've taught folks how to reload and even cast. Don't do it anymore.
Had my one and only stuck case while teaching someone to reload. Was so busy talking that I forgot to ROLL the cases over the Lube Pad.
Others,....well some folks just get a bit of experience and won't listen to anything.

Not worth the aggravation.

country gent
08-06-2021, 08:41 PM
I helped years ago with a couple classes at a local gun shop. Several issues are 1 the class only goes as well as the slowest person (not trying to be bean but thats the way it is). There always seems to be one guy who thinks he knows a better faster way.
We finally broke it into 2 classes a beginners and advances class.
If working with a group have several instructors to handle hands on and things one on one. Have your curriculum stated in the sign up and flyers so people know just whats going to be covered

Ickisrulz
08-06-2021, 09:17 PM
If a person wants to reload, they'll buy a manual and learn it on their own. It is not hard, you just need an average amount of attention to detail.

I started with Speer reloading manual #11 back in the 80's. I had no mentor, no internet and no videos. It was just me, my manual and a few pieces of equipment I bought at Long's Drugs in Colorado Springs.

richhodg66
08-06-2021, 09:23 PM
I grew up the son of a very avid handloader and bullet caster, so I knew a lot more than enough to be dangerous from apretty early age. Didn't really start doing it on my own until 1991 when I got back from Desert Storm. Mom and Dad came out to Fort Bliss to visit and Dad brought a new Rockchucker and all the other stuff I needed to handload for a rifle I had at the time. Still have and use the Rockchucker as my primary press and have the other stuff too.

Pre-internet, I wasn't afraid to read, had a mentor a phone call away. Learned by doing, never blew up a gun.

I did pretty much the same thing for my oldest son when he was home from the service a few years ago and set him up with what he needed. The bug still hasn't really bitten for him yet and he doesn't shoot much now, but likely will eventually.

I don't think I have the patience to teach a stranger, let alone a class of them. Maybe I'm selfish.

Finster101
08-06-2021, 09:29 PM
"I don't think I have the patience to teach a stranger, let alone a class of them. Maybe I'm selfish."

You are not alone. My wife who is a kindergarten teacher tells me I do not have the teacher gene.

richhodg66
08-06-2021, 09:36 PM
"I don't think I have the patience to teach a stranger, let alone a class of them. Maybe I'm selfish."

You are not alone. My wife who is a kindergarten teacher tells me I do not have the teacher gene.

I'm starting my 10th year teaching JROTC, different from most classroom teachers, but still, I know I'm not as good at it as others. The good news is, the formal classroom teaching is really a small part of what I do, but I do not think I could be a career educator.

375supermag
08-06-2021, 09:58 PM
Hi...
I have offered to teach several friends to reload. None were willing to learn...couldn't even get them to read a manual.
Only person I have taught is my son...he reloads a lot of our ammunition these days.

I had to teach myself...I bought manuals from Lyman, Hornady, Speer and Sierra and read them before I even bought any equipment.
Been reloading close to 40 years now...maybe longer.

rbuck351
08-06-2021, 11:43 PM
I have taught a couple of people to load but one at a time and knew them well enough to know they wouldn't do anything stupid.

My dad bought me a Lee whack a mole in 12ga for my 14th birthday. He also bought enough supplies to load a hundred or so rounds and a Speer #5 loading manual. He had never loaded anything so Speer and I had at it with pretty good results.
Anybody with the desire can learn to load from most any of the manuals. The two I taught had no equipment so I showed them on my tools. I have offered to do the same for several others but only the two so far have had enough desire. I started in 1962 and didn't even know anyone that loaded so I had to teach myself or buy ammo I couldn't afford.

JimB..
08-06-2021, 11:56 PM
Isn’t there an NRA reloading instructor certification? Not saying that you must take that path, but probably worth investigating.

When I first started someone showed me how to load one caliber with one bullet and one powder charge. Not a ton of safety stuff, just a few critical points, and I walked away after 2 hours with 50 mid-power 38 spcl cartridges. I had reviewed some info in advance just so I wouldn’t look like a dope, but having done it put what I read afterwards in context. Still have 10 fingers and 2 eyes, so it seems to have worked okay. Not sure that it would work in a classroom setting.

Maybe offer a “load with me” session one-on-one as a way to see if someone is interested, then do the class and finish with a lab of sorts.

Winger Ed.
08-07-2021, 12:46 AM
I've taught two. It was a one on one sort of deal, and a few years apart.
One kept at it because he was a tight wad. He quit reloading when I told him it was time to buy his own equipment.
The other was a competitive shooter and it let him make better ammo. It made his hobby more affordable, and his scores were better.

Others were interested, but when it came time to put away the beer, sit down, actually learn, and do it:
They just never quite made it over.

toallmy
08-07-2021, 08:18 AM
I was the first in the family to load my own , but I shared my understanding of loading ammunition with 3 of my younger brothers in the 80s & between us it has multiplied many times over the years . I have and will continue to encourage shooters even if they choose to not load their own , to at least read a few loading manuals .

starnbar
08-07-2021, 08:48 AM
Actually, I am like you. I was gifted some things from an older friend who no longer reloaded. I wish he had lived closer but at that time I was in FL and he was in KY. My parents brought it down on vacation and said it was from "The Old Man" . He was a bit older than my dad. I miss them both. I guess in a way I'm kind of like him. I have no kids so when I'm gone it will just be a mess of stuff for my wife to get rid of.

Yeah got started the same way I had a carbide cannon that needed fixin my neighbor was a horse soldier rode with Black Jack. he fixed my cannon for me saw i had a keen interest in things that go bang. When he passed I was almost 20 he left me his equipment took me around 3 months reading his manuals until I got it figured out.

Cosmic_Charlie
08-07-2021, 09:11 AM
I started with a Rock Chucker master kit 26 years ago. The Speer reloading manual that came with it had everything a beginning reloader needed to know to get started. In 2012 I gave all my reloading equipment including that manual to my eldest son because I thought I was done with shooting. He had no trouble getting started. These days with the internet and a good manual someone who is motivated should have no trouble learning on their own. Showing such a person your reloading room is a good way to get them going.

John Wayne
08-07-2021, 09:29 AM
Liability!!! I too have taught several but one on one only. One time a father and son. But today's young men that apply at the machine shop where I work can't read a tape measure. So I will only teach folks I know that have common sense, ability and won't sue me later. The lawyers of today are looking for a way to take ALL of your assets including your home.

richhodg66
08-07-2021, 09:31 AM
Yeah got started the same way I had a carbide cannon that needed fixin my neighbor was a horse soldier rode with Black Jack. he fixed my cannon for me saw i had a keen interest in things that go bang. When he passed I was almost 20 he left me his equipment took me around 3 months reading his manuals until I got it figured out.

Man, that is a great story, I hope you still have and use all of his stuff.

I have an awful lot of stuff my Dad used over the years, but there was some stuff in his accumulation I know came from friends of his who passed and he ended up with, quite a few cast bullets I knew were cast by a gentleman who was a WWII vet and used to go to gun shows and such with us. I always like using this stuff or things I've gotten from estate sales and such, seems like there's an old guy smiling down from somewhere that I'm still using it.

JoeJames
08-07-2021, 09:49 AM
I got an RCBS kit for Christmas in @1981 with a Speer #10 manual. Worked my way through it, and even did a little bit of casting back then. Started casting again about 2 years ago when I saw the handwriting on the wall. Anyhow, two have asked me to help them get started - one is an accountant whose office is next door, other is via email. Loaned my neighbor an old Hornady Manual, and it has generated an awful lot of questions - which is a good thing.

farmerjim
08-07-2021, 10:05 AM
I must be a genius.

I did the same about 60 years ago.
I am now helping my neighbor who is just starting.

By the way "Genius" is my last name.

sundog
08-07-2021, 10:10 AM
This is a good place to start. If the person wanting to learn cannot make it through a few short reading sessions with this, I am not interested in going further with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Reloading-National-Rifle-Association/dp/0935998977

This is a process learning guide, not a reloading manual.

Other than learning the process itself, the other thing the mentor can do is lead the 'newbie' into not wasting resources (money) on things not needed to get started, but still have the essential 'stuff' to do it properly and safely. Those saved resources can then be used to gather components to get started.

John Guedry
08-07-2021, 11:18 AM
I am self taught reloader. When I started I knew no one who was "into" reloading . I had a friend who dealt with a who dealt with a wholesale sporting goods business. Got me a real good deal on a Lyman T-Mag.Included was a Lyman #47 manual. If a person does not enjoy reading I don't see how they can "self teach". I had no mentor,internet or any other references,I had no options.

Bent Ramrod
08-07-2021, 12:49 PM
If you are interested, you can (and will) learn how to reload on your own. A reloading Handbook, some care, some hands-on experience, and the normal use of one’s hands and brain, are sufficient.

I joined a gun club once. The club officers said I wasn’t doing enough for the club. I offered to do a class on a Saturday to teach ammunition reloading. They said that was a great idea. The class was advertised in the club newsletter and by word of mouth, the same as they did for their Hunter’s Safety classes, which drew big crowds.

The day of the class arrived, and I was there with supplies, equipment, prepared speeches and instructional willingness. One guy showed up (he wasn’t one of the people that wanted me to do the class). He listened attentively, went through the processes willingly, asked intelligent questions, and thanked me when it was over.

He never started reloading on his own, though. The Hunter’s Safety class was a state requirement for a hunting license, which probably was the reason for the attendance. A lot of the club membership did reload, and didn’t need instruction from me or anybody. Their own interest was enough.

It isn’t String Theory, after all.

MstrEddy
08-07-2021, 01:53 PM
I've taught a 5 friends to reload, but only one at a time. I first have them read a guide or manual. If they are still interested, then I have them come over and take them through the steps on my RCBS. When they bought their own equipment, I had them bring their press over, we go over the set up, adjust dies, etc, and load 50 rounds. Of the five, two or three are still actively reloading. The others are not shooting much at all, so haven't "needed" to reload.

I've also shown a few others, and taken them through the processes and they've made their own box or two of ammo.

salpal48
08-07-2021, 02:02 PM
most people claim They want to learn. In reality most want me to load there old cases . I give them a small list of Required Items, then never hear from them again. Works well for me

BigAlofPa.
08-07-2021, 02:19 PM
I mentored a young man. I used some of the books i got from members here. He used them. Since then he bought updated ones. I have them back in the library. Waiting to help the next person who may want to learn. Only those who i feel are level headed and responsible ill teach. I had some one ask recently. Who breaks everything he touches. I told him after he buys his own equipment i'll teach him. Never heard another word about it.

Char-Gar
08-07-2021, 02:41 PM
If a person wants to reload, they'll buy a manual and learn it on their own. It is not hard, you just need an average amount of attention to detail.

I started with Speer reloading manual #11 back in the 80's. I had no mentor, no internet and no videos. It was just me, my manual and a few pieces of equipment I bought at Long's Drugs in Colorado Springs.

I agree, I started with a Lyman 41manual in 1959. I will add there is a very big difference between knowing how to do something and the ability to teach others how to do it. As I read the answers to various posts on this board, I see way to much unnecessary detail and complexity beyond what the questioner needs or wants to know. Lots of big information dumps designed to impress others with the posters knowledge.

Three44s
08-07-2021, 03:26 PM
Self taught all the way! Started with load manuals and then anything of use in the gun magazines.

Some of my finer points for accuracy came from a monthly column on hand loading. The writers name is Jameson and he went into cartridge design and then formed his own company.

Three44s

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-07-2021, 03:32 PM
ive been pondering idea of teaching others to reload in maybe small group/ like maybe class like sessions. what got me thinking of this is I have a friend who is involved with lots of shooters. years ago he was on national geographic prepper show and over the years has kind of has a community of fellow preppers but he doesn't reload nor do many if any of his fellow peppers but they all do lots of target practice. there is one local gun shop that does have a good variety of powder, projectiles and right now limited primers. the prices have never been cheap there, compared to powder valley or Midsouth or Grafs, but there are supplies available local. maybe its just a crazy idea that could open me top to some crazy liability issues.
has anyone else taught more than one person at a time to reload?

It's one thing to teach a person that comes to you and eagerly wants to learn to load their own...and is willing to start by reading all of a good reloading manual first.
AND...it's another thing to advertise, or whatever, and to teach a class to anyone who "might" have an interest.

If it's the latter, I surely wouldn't do it.

Wolfdog91
08-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Be nice if y'all would lean to make a video. If you have a smart phone it's pretty easy.

dk17hmr
08-07-2021, 04:26 PM
Lesson learned from my professional career, if they aren't asking don't volunteer. People that don't ask questions don't have any interest in it.

Often in meetings and classes I'm the "dumbest" one in the room. When I don't have a question or comment about something I definitely don't care.

Dusty Bannister
08-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Be nice if y'all would lean to make a video. If you have a smart phone it's pretty easy.

It is already out there, just not for free.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-99910-Precisioneered-Handloading-DVD/dp/B001F0NRP4

rbuck351
08-07-2021, 08:46 PM
I don't have a cell phone let alone a smart one and have no intention of getting one.

toallmy
08-08-2021, 07:47 AM
I can take decent photos and record short video with my phone , but I can't post it , it could be because I'm simple , but more than likely I'm just to lazy to figure it out .
Be safe

dale2242
08-08-2021, 08:01 AM
When I was shooting Action Pistol I had one guy that wanted to learn to reload.
He brought his components to my loading room and I walked him through the process of loading 45 ACP.
There have been a few others that have asked me to teach them, but it never developed beyond talk.

JoeJames
08-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Lesson learned from my professional career, if they aren't asking don't volunteer. People that don't ask questions don't have any interest in it.

Often in meetings and classes I'm the "dumbest" one in the room. When I don't have a question or comment about something I definitely don't care.My neighbor had a lot of questions. I loaned him my old Hornady manual and told him to read the reloading part, and then ask questions. I think he will be a good safe reloader.

BunkTheory
08-09-2021, 02:14 AM
IF you do a class, youll need to jump hoops. Like get that NRA certified certificate and i believe liability insurance.

Because we all know, you teach someone how to reload for their I frame... that the first time they load up a compressed charged of 2400 under a 120 grain JHP.... itll be YOUR fault.

David2011
08-09-2021, 03:21 AM
I've taught a few how to reload; always 1:1 and only offer to people that I have known for a good while. As with others, I don't want strangers in that area of my shop which is visually and physically isolated by being upstairs from the workshop. I've offered to teach plenty of people but like others, few takers. Most either think there's nothing to it or want me to make ammo for them. Not happening.

762 shooter
08-09-2021, 06:33 AM
I'll bet that 95%of reloaders are self taught and self motivated.
A friend reloaded, so I got interested.
I have offered many people that seemed interested. No takers.

Some people should not reload.

Mentors are nice but not required.

Idaho45guy
08-09-2021, 07:32 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to create more demand for components in today's climate??

bedbugbilly
08-09-2021, 08:46 AM
one on one - even though your intentions are good - you have no idea of the capabilities of your individual class members - even if you "know" them. OK - you use a loading manual ut you have no control over if they actually read and comprehend it. You won't only be teaching reloading, you'll be teaching math and a variety of other associated subject matters. Some will be able to understand from the get go - others will require creative ways of getting them to understand the concept - which means a lot of one on one for you as the instructor. As the instructor, you cannot "assume" your student has grasped a concept about anything without testing them by having them prove it through problem solving with a wide variety of situations.

Take it from a former shop teacher - about the first time you think the student has mastered a concept - that is when something will go wrong - especially in a class containing a number of students.

Certainly you could offer a class on the "Basics Of Reloading", but the "lab work" is best performed om a one to one basis where you can spend concentrated time with the student which allows you to learn their strengths and weaknesses and you can help them better to have them fully understand a concept before they move on in their learning.

Not to be cruel, but we all know people who should never be around tools and think a hammer is a screwdriver.

gbrown
08-09-2021, 12:31 PM
I started reloading back in 66 or 67. Me and a friend, young and dumb. The friend worked in the sporting goods section of a local variety store, and came into contact with reloaders and casters. I still have my original manual, rather beat up and dog eared. Still have my original press, a C-H. , with 4 die plate. It's mounted on my reloading bench, still. I was self taught, except for tips my buddy got from older reloaders. Read the manual about 4 times to make sure I didn't blow something up. I was always accused of being too cautious. Sometimes a fault you have can play in your favor. I've tried to get family and acquaintances into it, but no one is interested. I have tons of stuff that I will be disposing of in the next years, no one I know has any use for.

Wolfdog91
08-09-2021, 08:40 PM
It is already out there, just not for free.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-99910-Precisioneered-Handloading-DVD/dp/B001F0NRP4

Or you got guys like this on YouTube doing hundreds for folks for free because he actually wants to teach or at least show what he's doing. There's a big difference between I want to but can and I kinda wanna and won't.

You can reach alot of people and save alot if grief by doing a video or just online toutoril . Like just grab the neighbors kid or something and tell them you want them to film you while you reload and explain what your doing. Most of em can edit every thing on their phone.

Texas by God
08-09-2021, 11:17 PM
To truly understand HAND loading in its most simple form- start out with a Lee Loader.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

farmbif
08-10-2021, 06:58 AM
ok, im snapped back into reality
if anyone really has a desire to reload they would get a manual order some gear and get reloading. if someone has a desire they will find a way to scratch that itch.
its not like coaching little league.

JoeJames
08-10-2021, 09:54 AM
To truly understand HAND loading in its most simple form- start out with a Lee Loader.

Sent from my SM-A716U using TapatalkOh my! My first thought was "that will run most off". I started with a Lee Loader in 7mm Mauser in about 1968. I had bought a Model 95 Mauser in 1964 for $20, when I was 13. Can of powder - maybe 3031, some boolits, and a tray or sleeve of primers. I was amazed when it actually fired. Scoop must have been ok for 3031, because I did not know diddly. Must have been a decent instruction sheet with the loader, eh?

Cast10
08-10-2021, 11:04 AM
Everyone wants to get cheap ammo. Only friends I’ll help. Offered to a few and no takers once I tell them “I’ll help you get started and show/explain and then watch you do it. None.

jsizemore
08-11-2021, 03:12 PM
Most folks need a little encouragement to build their confidence. A few can do it on their own. And a few can survive rushing blindly into it with a guiding hand on their shoulder.

I've taught singles and multiples. The multiples can help each other remember a lot more. I won't teach anybody that won't listen and focus on the task at hand.

I have one guy that's on his 5th year of lessons.

Graybeard96
08-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Almost 50 years ago I made a new Friend which reloaded with a Basic Lee Reeloder and a Plastic Hammer 9mm on the Kitchen Table. I had never before seen any Reloading done, I helped and was immediately hocked. What a nice Hobby and for the amount of shooting I done and still doing even after the expense of quality RCBS Equipment I think I saved more then a few Bucks.

Cheers

dale2242
08-13-2021, 06:34 AM
My wifes Grandpa got me interested in reloading.
I remember seeing him setting on the living room floor loading with the Lyman 310 tools.

David2011
08-14-2021, 01:54 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to create more demand for components in today's climate??

Just speaking for myself the comments were historical. Right now I wouldn’t want to increase demand but I would teach family or close friends and provide what they needed.