PDA

View Full Version : browning 71 forearm finish

hard88cast
08-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Putting a new unfinished forearm on my browning model 71. The finish on the stock is beautiful, anyone know the best way for me to match the b71 stock with my forearm finish.
thanks

pietro
08-05-2021, 06:11 PM

Spray epoxy, after staining to match the color of the wood under the butt plate/pad.

Also, do yourself a favor & seal the end of the stock while the BP's off.

hard88cast
08-05-2021, 07:27 PM
pietro, are you talking about an epoxy that comes in a rattle can or something that needs a spray gun and compressor.

pietro
08-05-2021, 09:38 PM

Rattle can is what I've used - multiple mist coats, and don't let it run...……..

hard88cast
08-06-2021, 03:48 PM
pietro,, do you start the process with truoil or tung oil then apply the spray epoxy, or do you just stain and epoxy only.

pietro
08-06-2021, 05:28 PM

Stain (if req'd) & epoxy - an unwanted high gloss finish can be rubbed down with OOOO steel wool, until it appears the finish has been removed (The finish will still be in the wood pores, thus protecting the wood)

Glossy is how most Browning's were issued.

hard88cast
08-06-2021, 07:14 PM
the staining,,if required is the interesting part of this. First off you have very dry wood, then apply a wet solution whether it be stain or epoxy or truoil and each one of those is going to change the color just in itself.
Does the epoxy change the color of the pre applied stain?

W.R.Buchanan
08-06-2021, 07:38 PM
I searched for the answer to this question for years with no results. I had called Turnbull Restoration several times asking how they did it, and they would never tell me!

Then I watched an episode of 'How it's made" on TV and it was from Turnbull Restoration!.

The way they match a stock and fore end on their Restos is by making both pieces out of the same chunk of wood!!!!

I thanked them at the next SHOT Show !!!

Took a TV program to expose the truth.

Good Luck I've been trying to match a fore end and buttstock on an older Marlin 336 for 10 years and still haven't gotten a satisfactory result, and I'm not half bad at doing it!

Randy.

hard88cast
08-06-2021, 07:56 PM
lol,, that would do it, matching both pcs from the same pc of wood. I dont have that luxury at this point but actually not to worried about it any way. This rifle is going to get banged around and the less perfect the better. Otherwise it ends up a safe queen with my antiques.
Thats wild"turnbill" did an episode of "how its made", gonna have to check you tube for that, thanks

Krag 1901
08-07-2021, 12:14 AM
Polly WIpe, 0000 Steel wool between coats and five or eleven coats ought to give you glossy.

pietro
08-07-2021, 10:19 AM
the staining,,if required is the interesting part of this.

First off you have very dry wood, then apply a wet solution whether it be stain or epoxy or truoil and each one of those is going to change the color just in itself.

Does the epoxy change the color of the pre applied stain?

That is why the forearm wood must be compared to the raw wood under the BP first, then stained to match if the colors aren't close.

hard88cast
08-07-2021, 12:52 PM
ok, got it, hoping that there is unfinished wood under the bp.