PDA

View Full Version : unfinished forearm protection ??

hard88cast
08-05-2021, 03:26 PM
I just ordered a new unfinished forearm for my b71 conversion project along with all the rest of the pcs needed. I need to send the forearm along with rifle to my gunsmith so he can fit it correctly.
I wont be able to refinish before sending to gunsmith for barrel fitting but want to keep dirt and machine oils off forearm during process of barreling.
any ideas on the best way to do this.

thanks

pietro
08-05-2021, 04:14 PM

I would finish the forarm, inside & out, then mask off the exterior with tape prior to giving it to your gunsmith.

Any alterations the gunsmith may make will be inside the forarm's barrel channel and/or at the rear for the forearm where it enters the face of the receiver, so you can take the fitted forfend off the gun and redo the fitted areas, after you get it back.

hard88cast
08-05-2021, 04:39 PM
pietro, ok, that sounds like good advice. I have scoured this forum and cant find any blogs on stock finishing here, am i missing the blog spot?

pietro
08-05-2021, 06:15 PM

Click on "advanced search", located at the RH end of the toolbar just above the forum, and type in "stock refinishing"

Mk42gunner
08-05-2021, 06:17 PM
There should be any number of threads in the gunsmithing section on stock refinishing.

FWIW, I never got any machine oil on the stocks of the rifles I rebarreled at home, but they weren't sitting around for a long time either.

If I were really worried about it, I think I would put a coat or two of Truoil on the fore end before delivering it to your gunsmith.

Robert

country gent
08-05-2021, 06:54 PM
Call your gunsmith ad get his recommendation on how he prefers to get it. Work with him

hard88cast
08-05-2021, 07:22 PM
thanks for the replies all. This is my first venture with a gunsmith and first venture refinishing a stock so have lots of questions and I really appreciate all the great responses.

Wayne Smith
08-06-2021, 08:46 AM
My initial seal coat on any open pore wood is to sand in a 50/50 mix of tung oil/mineral spirits. This seals the sanding dust into the pores and provides a base for any other finish. Multiple coats of this sanded to 150 should do for what you want, but I agree, ask your gunsmith first.

indian joe
08-06-2021, 11:02 AM
There should be any number of threads in the gunsmithing section on stock refinishing.

FWIW, I never got any machine oil on the stocks of the rifles I rebarreled at home, but they weren't sitting around for a long time either.

If I were really worried about it, I think I would put a coat or two of Truoil on the fore end before delivering it to your gunsmith.

Robert

do this ! ............then finish it properly after the metal work is done

hard88cast
08-06-2021, 03:40 PM
Ok, did some research on these products, watched some videos and seems easy enough, thanks

hard88cast
08-22-2021, 02:07 PM
I am wondering if "stock bedding epoxy" will stick to a stock once the stock has had truoil/mineral spirits sanded into it just as a temporary sealer for gunsmith to handle while fitting to rifle.

Mk42gunner
08-22-2021, 10:43 PM
Yes.

hard88cast
08-23-2021, 09:33 AM
Thank you