PDA

View Full Version : Worst local radio station.

Idaho45guy
08-03-2021, 04:41 PM
I've lived all over the US, and even worked for a few months as a DJ for a Midwest radio station.

I have never heard a more embarrassing, incompetent, and annoying radio station than the only AM station for the two major towns around here.

1150 KQQQ

When I worked for a station, dead air was the mortal enemy and causing it was cause for termination. Anything longer than a few seconds was highly frowned upon.

KQQQ has it every single day, and usually multiple times every day. Yesterday, they kept forgetting to switch the satellite feed for the network news broadcast, so at the top of the hour, every hour, there was several minutes of dead air.

The two morning hosts are good guys, but completely incompetent. One is well into his 80's and often forgets to turn on his mic, or to use the cough button, etc. They have technical issues every day with sound bites not getting played, or mixed up, or more dead air, etc.

I've even sent them an email regarding an offensive promo line they use. They played it once before the Ben Shapiro show would start, and after I complained, they now play it several times throughout the show. It has a recording of a male voice saying, "He's young and he's smart, so how can he be a Conservative? You're listening to the Ben Shapiro Show". Really? Don't they realize that the vast majority of their audience is conservative, which is why they are listening to conservative talk radio? And they choose to call their listeners stupid?

But, they play the conservative talk shows I want to hear in the first part of the day, and the two hosts often have good insight into local news. So I try and tolerate them until the AM station out of Spokane starts Dennis Prager.

Of the other two stations, one is out of Lewiston, 50 miles away, and Spokane, 70 miles away. So, weather forecasts are useless, local news and alerts are useless, ads are for businesses I will likely never use.

So, I bite my lip and suffer along to the local idiots.

Anyone else have a local radio station that is nearly useless and incompetent?

RugerFan
08-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Coincidently, I was just listening to Ben Shapiro, but not on the radio. If you have a smart phone, go to the App store and download the "Talk Right" app. They have all of the national conservative radio talk shows you can listen to when they are live and its free.

Outpost75
08-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Here in the West Virginia Radio Quiet Zone we get wonderful late night AM radio reception without local QRM. I enjoy George Noory on Coast to Coast AM interviewing the whackos, wierdos, time travelers and space cadets abducted by space aliens. More entertaining than the mainstream media.

cwtebay
08-03-2021, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately Idaho, those same stations are dealing with the same issues as the rest of our once great nation - failure to find employees that may care. They likely don't have enough employees to even start an hour!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Kosh75287
08-03-2021, 10:01 PM
I enjoy George Noory on Coast to Coast AM interviewing the whackos, wierdos, time travelers and space cadets abducted by space aliens. More entertaining than the mainstream media.

:roll: Less fictitious than the mainstream media, too! :not listening:

elmacgyver0
08-03-2021, 10:19 PM
Local radio station here sometimes goes dead for 20 minutes at a time.
Signal is lousy, even in site of the towers.
Too embarrassed to give the call sign.
All I will say is a very famous person started his radio career there.

alfadan
08-03-2021, 10:46 PM
commercials must be dirt cheap on some of our stations. Same ones 3 or 4 times in the same break.

rockrat
08-03-2021, 11:04 PM
And add the DJ's have diarrhea of the mouth along with saying the identifier of the station and frequency anywhere from 6-8 times each commercial break. One hour I made a list of songs vs junk on the station. I think in that hour they played 6 songs. I finally filled my CD player (6 disk) in the truck and just listen to CD's or a cassette (yes, my truck is old enough to have one!!!) and quit listening to radio. At home its XM radio and the 60's (70's and 80's), but just like the 60's , the DJ has the same mouth affliction.

Idaho45guy
08-04-2021, 01:40 AM
I remember this rule from my time as a DJ that most folks probably don't realize...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/73.1201§ 73.1201 Station identification.

(a) When regularly required. Broadcast station identification announcements shall be made:

(1) At the beginning and ending of each time of operation, and

(2) Hourly, as close to the hour as feasible, at a natural break in program offerings. Television and Class A television broadcast stations may make these announcements visually or aurally.

(b) Content.

(1) Official station identification shall consist of the station's call letters immediately followed by the community or communities specified in its license as the station's location

granville_it
08-04-2021, 02:00 AM
I've gone the take on former, am&fm, radio.

Tv in another I won't want go with.

I have a good library.

Respectfully Mark

Buzz Krumhunger
08-04-2021, 04:30 AM
I’ve come to a point where I prefer the hum of my tires on the highway to the almost constant blather of DJs.

Land Owner
08-04-2021, 04:33 AM
The political leaning of the local stations do not matter, Conservative or Liberal. As Cleavon Little says in the Mel Brooks movie Blazing Saddles, "Hold Your Ears Folks - It's Showtime!" when broadcasting the Political Opinion and Dum-o-crap Coverups. I cannot begin to call it "News" as there is nothing "journalistic", fair, or balanced in any of it.

Dead air is annoying, but not quite so annoying as Conservative Radio hiring an announcer that after each opinion segment broadcast sarcastically says, "Fox News - fair and balanced." with vocal inflections on "fair and balanced" that is obvious to even the most casual of observers, slanted to the LEFT, and insulting on that channel as to beg these Conservative ears to bleed.

rondog
08-04-2021, 04:55 AM
I haven't listened to radio, other than Sirius/XM satellite music, in years. I can't stand listening to ANYONE babble on about their opinions, or opinions they're paid to spew, or their stinking commercials.

My truck has two USB ports, I have two 128gb thumb drives in them, with 22,000 songs set on Shuffle. THAT'S entertainment in my world!

William Yanda
08-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Broadcast quality everywhere is deteriorating. Locally there is a clear channel 50 thousand watter, WHAM which has some local hosts, morning and 9pm to 10 pm. Afternoons are Rush's replacements and Hannity, Levin after the 5-6 News hour.
One of their new promos uses theirselves rather than themselves.
Engineering started showing deficiencies even before the effects of Covid, with dead air due to un-flipped switches.
Occasionally we would get the music they were listening to rather than the programming scheduled.
Recently we were getting ads for a Scranton, PA dealer. Investigation disclosed that was because I was listening through Alexa and that stream draws the ads from a different pool.
Bill

Idaho45guy
08-04-2021, 06:36 AM
Broadcast quality everywhere is deteriorating. Locally there is a clear channel 50 thousand watter, WHAM which has some local hosts, morning and 9pm to 10 pm. Afternoons are Rush's replacements and Hannity, Levin after the 5-6 News hour.
One of their new promos uses theirselves rather than themselves.
Engineering started showing deficiencies even before the effects of Covid, with dead air due to un-flipped switches.
Occasionally we would get the music they were listening to rather than the programming scheduled.
Recently we were getting ads for a Scranton, PA dealer. Investigation disclosed that was because I was listening through Alexa and that stream draws the ads from a different pool.
Bill

Seems America is slowly slipping into 3rd world status as the leftists gain more control of every aspect of American society.

It truly is like a cancer that is spreading and can't be stopped.

farmerjim
08-04-2021, 07:15 AM
I mostly work outside in the field. I carried a radio with me so that I never missed Rush. Now I listen to books or music on a micro SD player. I sometimes confuse the book I am reading with the one that I am listening to.

Jsm180
08-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Rush was the main reason for listening to am radio, now it's just a lightning detector.

MT Gianni
08-04-2021, 10:34 AM
We have a wonderful local station. Our county has 7 emergency small range bands that play country music from the 50's to the 80's without any dj's. They break every half hour for a public announcement of something going on in the county. No ads, no political agendas or anything else. Local sports get broadcast spots for those who cannot make it to the games. It is the only way I can have a radio on in election years.

waksupi
08-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Rush was the main reason for listening to am radio, now it's just a lightning detector.

Exactly.

Thumbcocker
08-04-2021, 12:11 PM
I used to drive a lot with work. Listened to the radio. A few years back I realized that journalism was dead. All news was slanted for an agenda left or right. You can get decent world news from the BBC or AFP but American journalism has died.

Now I listen to a music Playlist on my phone or audio books.

444ttd
08-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Here in the West Virginia Radio Quiet Zone we get wonderful late night AM radio reception without local QRM. I enjoy George Noory on Coast to Coast AM interviewing the whackos, wierdos, time travelers and space cadets abducted by space aliens. More entertaining than the mainstream media.

art bell had alot of whackos and space alien fanatics on coast to coast. whenever i can't sleep, i put on on you tube and art bell, its guaranteed to make you sleep.

in my area there are 3 radio stations. 1. rap/pop 2. '80-90 rock(the same 7 songs) 3. pop country

i haven't listened to them for years. the same goes for satellite radio. i go with pandora.

Dunross
08-04-2021, 12:25 PM
Every so often I cruise the AM band just to see what's out there. Mostly (so far as I am concerned) it's a waste of time, but good to know where the stations are. Once I got home after dark, but instead of going inside right away I cruised the AM band. Picked up a station out of Chicago if I recall correctly (I'm in Florida) that was coming in loud and clear. Some fella by the name of Art Bell was on and he was interviewing folks about UFO's. That was a wild ride that night. When I finally went inside my wife asked "what were you doing out there for so long?" I said, "you wouldn't believe me if I told you" and let it go at that!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-05-2021, 03:40 PM
I am a talk-radio-aholic.
It doesn't matter if it's AM or FM ... Conservative or Liberal ... or non-political.
Garden talk or Auto-talk or Doctor advice or Lawyer advice
"Bill Handle on the Law" is one of the best shows still on the radio.

Some of my favorite talkers are now off the air waves, but still do podcasts. I'm only setup to listen to podcasts while in the house and pretty much only in the livingroom...but that's OK.

Idaho45guy
08-05-2021, 04:53 PM
"Bill Handle on the Law" is one of the best shows still on the radio.

I can't listen to him or the financial advice guy, Dave Ramsey. They have to deal with stupid people and are forced to be blunt and rude to get their point across. I get enough conflict and rudeness in everyday life that I don't want to listen to it in my free time.

cwtebay
08-05-2021, 10:47 PM
I can't listen to him or the financial advice guy, Dave Ramsey. They have to deal with stupid people and are forced to be blunt and rude to get their point across. I get enough conflict and rudeness in everyday life that I don't want to listen to it in my free time.I used to hate Dave Ramsey. Then I realized that he was attempting to preach to deaf ears so took a more aggressive tone. He speaks to his listeners in biblical parables and is worth a bit north of 1/4 billion from his work.

Idaho45guy
08-05-2021, 10:52 PM
I used to hate Dave Ramsey. Then I realized that he was attempting to preach to deaf ears so took a more aggressive tone. He speaks to his listeners in biblical parables and is worth a bit north of 1/4 billion from his work.

He obviously chooses to ignore the parts of the Bible he doesn't like...

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

;)

cwtebay
08-05-2021, 10:54 PM
He obviously chooses to ignore the parts of the Bible he doesn't like...

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

;)Proverbs 22:7 states, “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender"

ktw
08-05-2021, 11:03 PM

R.I.P. Neil Peart.

-ktw

Idaho45guy
08-06-2021, 04:30 AM
Proverbs 22:7 states, “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender"

Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!” And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Mark 10:23-25

:mrgreen:

And, it seems God agrees with me regarding the awful radio station. A lightning strike started a forest fire near where the station antennae is on a nearby mountain.

https://pullmanradio.com/fire-on-moscow-mountain/

[B]A fire is burning on Moscow Mountain this morning.

Moscow Rural Fire Department Volunteers were called to the blaze around 2:30 after a thunderstorm rolled through the area. Chief Brian Nickerson says the fire is burning about 5 acres of slash and timber. Crews were assembling and trying to get to the blaze around sunrise this morning. Idaho Department of Lands and Moscow City Volunteer Firefighters have been called in to assist. The fire is on the South slope of the mountain near the radio towers on West Twin. Nickerson believes the fire was likely sparked by lightning.

brassrat
08-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Its 50% in Spanish here.

PhilC
08-08-2021, 03:43 PM
I’ve come to a point where I prefer the hum of my tires on the highway to the almost constant blather of DJs.
Same here, I'm more at peace with my own thoughts anyway.

Tracy
08-08-2021, 04:52 PM
I rarely turn on the radio anymore. At home I have the Internet (don't watch much TV either), and I download podcasts to my phone to listen to while I'm on the road. I no longer have much patience for letting someone else decide what I get to hear and when I get to hear it.

David2011
08-09-2021, 03:12 AM
Houston has a decent talk radio station but goes to baseball or basketball when there are games on, daytime or evening. There's a radio in my workshop and I'll listen to baseball but not basketball. The classic rock station is mostly automated and only seems to have 100 or so songs in rotation so I don't bother with that station any more. One talk station and one classic rock station in a metro area of 6 million is pitiful. Looking forward to having my sound system set up in the shop so I can play what I want.

charlie3tuna
08-09-2021, 05:24 PM
I never listen to the radio in my vehicle. Instead, I listen closely to every sound it makes!! Never owned a new car or truck, prefer to spend that payment on housing and groceries. Of course a "car payment" is required every so often, but that's OK. There is no free lunch.