PDA

View Full Version : New Way to Clean Brass

GregLaROCHE
08-01-2021, 10:38 AM
I just came across this. Has anyone tried it?
https://youtu.be/TlRficpcRFk

08-01-2021, 10:59 AM
*always rinse before handling
Haha
This must be extremely valuable for Electronics applications.

I wonder what the contraindications are for this cleaning process.

If it can be safely and easily scaled up to do 500 pieces of brass that would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Helka
08-01-2021, 11:19 AM
That’s pretty neat. But just too many steps for me. I still prefer the stainless steel, lemon shine /dawn mixture. Set it and forget it lol. For 2 hrs that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Boy
08-01-2021, 11:57 AM
Looks like the same product cleaning steps for tire rims

starnbar
08-01-2021, 11:57 AM
I like my cement mixer 1 1/2 cubic yards I haven't changed the media in 15 years plug it in go eat dinner and sleep come back in the morning brass looks like gold.

08-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Some of their other products look really interesting.

The one for multi coloring and black chrome blueing zinc plated parts looks very interesting.

GregLaROCHE
08-01-2021, 01:21 PM
That’s pretty neat. But just too many steps for me. I still prefer the stainless steel, lemon shine /dawn mixture. Set it and forget it lol. For 2 hrs that is.

I’ve often thought about using my cement mixer as a tumbler, even for making BP. When you tumble your brass what do you add? Some Etra fine sand maybe?

Helka
08-01-2021, 01:23 PM
I’ve often thought about using my cement mixer as a tumbler, even for making BP. When you tumble your brass what do you add? Some Etra fine sand maybe?

I don’t have a cement mixer but I made my own tumbler. Using an old cocoa powder container and just add hot water, stainless steel media pins and the above mentioned ingredients to polish it up.

dverna
08-01-2021, 01:44 PM
Any process that uses water is a pain. I am not carrying pails of water into the shop and then you have to dry the cases. Might work OK for a few less than 200 cases at a time.

Ultra clean cases do not perform any better so not worth the bother.

08-01-2021, 02:01 PM
I use the large Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. I've put hundreds of 308 casings in it, they come out minty-fresh.

I put old nasty range brass casings in it that had been outside in the rain for years, stepped on, ground in the gravel, crusty stuff that wouldn't even get scrap metal value, look like terrible brass Rusty junk garbage.

Quick rinse to remove the mud, throw them in the tumbler for 3 hours with dish soap and stainless steel pins, they come out looking brand new. It makes inspecting the brass incredibly easy and fast.

The most casings I ever put in it was several thousand 9 mm. The biggest drag is separating the brass from the pins.

When separating the brass from the pins I used two buckets, a television and a cold beer on a hot day.

If the brass is not terribly dirty it cleans just fine using only tap water and Dawn soap. Cement mixer would probably be okay using only water and Dawn, when the cases Bang into each other it will loosen a lot of the trash, and the soap will carry the dirt in suspension. Rinse the water a couple times, dry them in the Sun, brass will be pretty, loading will be fun.

I think the main advantage of wet tumble cleaning is I don't get the black finger when I'm loading, handling casings for the different steps. Somebody using a progressive set up with a case feeder will of course have different processes.

Helka
08-01-2021, 02:07 PM
Any process that uses water is a pain. I am not carrying pails of water into the shop and then you have to dry the cases. Might work OK for a few less than 200 cases at a time.

I have a dehydrator that I use to dry brass. My dehydrator measure 1 door wide by 2 feet long. Has 9 levels. I could dry about 10k 9mm brass if need be.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-01-2021, 02:23 PM
This kind of reminds me of the old case cleaning stuff called "Case Brite". Came in a small 1/4 pint can with a pry off lid like a pain can, and had a cellophane bag in it containing sulfuric acid crystals. Open the bag and dump into a quart jar of warm water. Add brass and shake for 10 minutes. Pour off water, now very dirty, dump brass into another jar of clean water and shake some more until rinsed. Saw and used it several times in the '60s and early '70s, then it was gone. It would eat the skin of your fingers a bit if you neglected to wear rubber gloves. Usually, like the video, the brass remained dark. Sometimes it was stained yellow and I think I still have some stained -06 brass.

DG

la5676
08-01-2021, 06:54 PM
*always rinse before handling
Haha

The part that caught my attention was his comment about “minimal metal removal”.

So, it actually takes a layer off?????

08-01-2021, 06:58 PM
The part that caught my attention was his comment about “minimal metal removal”.

So, it actually takes a layer off?????Everything you do takes a layer off. How thick that layer is is what's critical...

M-Tecs
08-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Hardly new. I have been using this off and on for about 20 years https://iosso.com/clean/products/case-cleaner-case-cleaner-kit/

oldhenry
08-01-2021, 08:41 PM

I think the drying process required in wet tumbling gets a lot of bad press.

My Lortone #12 wet tumbles 500-600 9mm empties easily (if I counted them it would probably be more). Using Lemishine + Armorall's Wash & Wax I rinse 2 times & put them into my Midway colander. I position my goose neck desk lamp over them (60 watt bulb)& they are dry in less than 2 hrs..

Before going into the colander I put them into a wife approved towel & fold similar to a hammock, & let them slide back & fort in that "hammock" about 10 times & then they go into the colander.

Note: I always deprime before the process.

MUSTANG
08-01-2021, 09:22 PM
This kind of reminds me of the old case cleaning stuff called "Case Brite". Came in a small 1/4 pint can with a pry off lid like a pain can, and had a cellophane bag in it containing sulfuric acid crystals. Open the bag and dump into a quart jar of warm water. Add brass and shake for 10 minutes. Pour off water, now very dirty, dump brass into another jar of clean water and shake some more until rinsed. Saw and used it several times in the '60s and early '70s, then it was gone. It would eat the skin of your fingers a bit if you neglected to wear rubber gloves. Usually, like the video, the brass remained dark. Sometimes it was stained yellow and I think I still have some stained -06 brass.

DG

Used to use this in the 1970's. I thought it was Muriatic acid though.

MUSTANG
08-01-2021, 09:26 PM

Us either corn cobb or walnut media in the cement mixer. I use a Harbor Freight cement mixer for large volumes after months of range pick up accumulates.

XDROB
08-01-2021, 09:44 PM
I do a quick tumble in corn cob to get the rough stuff off. Then I deprime. Then I put about anywhere between 500 to 1000 in my Frankford wet tumbler with pins, lemishine and Armour all wax n Wash. Run it for about an hour or two. Dump them into a media separator to get the pins out. Lay a wife approved towel on the clothes dryer and have a small desk fan that blows air over them. I like um bright and shiny. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210802/2757d3e2be5c384cbf1b1a6d5552e46c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210802/51634140ab96bedfa91dd7e34703b295.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

08-01-2021, 10:24 PM
Makes simple, hard. Does a fine job it appears, but for me, kitchen sink, Dawn soap, Lemi-Shine (or pickling salts), hot water, 10 minutes - ba~da~bing -- done. Nail board to dry in the sun.

la5676
08-01-2021, 10:35 PM
Makes simple, hard. Does a fine job it appears, but for me, kitchen sink, Dawn soap, Lemi-Shine (or pickling salts), hot water, 10 minutes - ba~da~bing -- done. Nail board to dry in the sun.

Lemi-shine is really nothing more than citric acid with a little baking soda in it.

08-01-2021, 10:42 PM
I do a quick tumble in corn cob to get the rough stuff off. Then I deprime. Then I put about anywhere between 500 to 1000 in my Frankford wet tumbler with pins, lemishine and Armour all wax n Wash. Run it for about an hour or two. Dump them into a media separator to get the pins out. Lay a wife approved towel on the clothes dryer and have a small desk fan that blows air over them. I like um bright and shiny. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210802/2757d3e2be5c384cbf1b1a6d5552e46c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210802/51634140ab96bedfa91dd7e34703b295.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using TapatalkNice fresh minty brass!

Dieselhorses
08-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Summer in Louisiana now. 2.5 hours wet tumbling-1 hour drying! I just spread out 500 cases on a couple of towels on a fold out table and let the mid day sun do the work.

GregLaROCHE
08-02-2021, 01:24 AM
Has anyone tried putting cases in a mesh bag and running them through a cycle in a washing machine? I found a case that must have been left in a pants pocket, in the bottom of my washing machine once. It was pretty shiny and clean.

MUSTANG
08-02-2021, 09:44 AM
Has anyone tried putting cases in a mesh bag and running them through a cycle in a washing machine? I found a case that must have been left in a pants pocket, in the bottom of my washing machine once. It was pretty shiny and clean.

Would think it would bang up the sides and chip the paint on the washer drum. Also in a bag; it would put the drum out of balance on "Spin Cycles". When in a pants pocket it is limited in quantity and ability to unbalance spin cycle.

Baltimoreed
08-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Environmentally safe chemicals are still chemicals, there are too many in the world imo. I’ve been using my old ‘orange’ tumbler for years. When I get home from a match, I drop my match and prematch practice brass in it, set it in the gazebo on my deck and plug it in. Before I go to bed I will go out and dump it through a colander to separate the media from the brass. Next day I’ll sort the brass and put them back into their appropriate jugs. Not a commercial operation by any means but it’s easy. I deprime and prime pistol brass on the press as it’s loaded but will prime rifle brass with a lee autoprime as it’s reloaded on a single stage press.

jonp
08-02-2021, 10:38 AM

Do you find the non iodized pickling salt works better than table salt?

DocSavage
08-02-2021, 10:46 AM
The minuete I heard sulfuric acid I was put off. Sulfuric acid is still acid no matter what the percentage is. Dawn,Lemni shine,SS pins and water works just fine.

1hole
08-02-2021, 10:59 AM
The minuete I heard sulfuric acid I was put off. Sulfuric acid is still acid no matter what the percentage is. Dawn,Lemni shine,SS pins and water works just fine.

Well, acid is acid for sure but the concentration/strength matters. I believe you'll find that the active part of Lemishine is citric acid.

1hole
08-02-2021, 11:10 AM
Environmentally safe chemicals are still chemicals, there are too many in the world imo.

It's gotten to be very hard to avoid all them chemical things these days, they can be found in virtually every thing we eat. (I recently learned that even our best coffees are absolutely full of H2O and a few other chemical things!) ;)

:kidding:

Mal Paso
08-02-2021, 12:17 PM
When separating the brass from the pins I used two buckets, a television and a cold beer on a hot day.

If you use one of the rotary separators Submerged In Water the pins fall out in seconds.

Daekar
08-02-2021, 12:58 PM
Impressive results in the video.

Call me lazy, but I just don't care. As long as things shoot straight and my dies aren't damaged, I don't really see the point.

Rfeustel
08-03-2021, 03:08 PM
I think the drying process required in wet tumbling gets a lot of bad press.

My Lortone #12 wet tumbles 500-600 9mm empties easily (if I counted them it would probably be more). Using Lemishine + Armorall's Wash & Wax I rinse 2 times & put them into my Midway colander. I position my goose neck desk lamp over them (60 watt bulb)& they are dry in less than 2 hrs..

Before going into the colander I put them into a wife approved towel & fold similar to a hammock, & let them slide back & fort in that "hammock" about 10 times & then they go into the colander.

Note: I always deprime before the process.

I agree. I’m a recent convert to wet and the drying is not the PITA I thought it would be - especially because I decap before wet tumbling. Here in CA, I can leave them out in the sun to dry. Using Southern Shine media and the separation of the media from the cases is really easy too. No harder than dry tumble separation.

imashooter2
08-03-2021, 03:11 PM

And let the people say, AMEN!

And any process that makes me decap before cleaning is a no go for me.

ACC
08-03-2021, 03:21 PM
This is old news. That stuff, under a different name, was available back in the late 70's. It etches brass badly so it must weaken it as well. Tried it didn't like it.

ACC