View Full Version : Motorcycling

richhodg66
08-01-2021, 09:50 AM
I used to ride quite a bit, not group joy riding stuff, I used the bike to get places for the most part. I kind of got out of it a few years ago and the two remaining ones I have have been sitting in the shop. The big enduro, I'll get going on my own, other is a Triumph Bonneville which I had gotten new tires, chain, sprockets, etc., planning to do all that myself (have done all of these tasks on other bikes, just less entusiastic about wrenching in the heat now). So, trailered the Triumph in to the local dealership which sells Harleys and Kawasakis, I've known them for years, and got them going on getting it on the road.

Age is taking a toll on me, I won't ride without gear and that stuff is becoming uncomfortable to me when my tolerance level for being uncomfortable is dwindling. I figured I'd get it road worthy again, ride a little this Fall and sell it off next Spring, keep the KLR650 for when I want to do rural exploration around here and basically be done with bikes.

Never was a V-twin Cruiser kind of guy, just don't care for the riding position and the image those types like to portray, but this dealership makes their money on them and I got to shooting the breeze with the lead mechanic and the subject of the XR1200 Harley made a few years (looks like a flat tracker and built around that same 1200 EVO motor the Sportster uses) came up. He tells me they just took one in on trade, they were going through it and it would likely be priced pretty reasonable. Took me to see it, sat on it, started it up and dang if that motorcycling bug I thought had died didn't bite again. I really like the riding position, that 1200 EVO is a great power plant by everybody's account, and those are built with a chassis, brakes, etc., to take advantage of that much power.

I'll probably sleep on it enough to lose the spark while they're getting ready to put it on the showroom floor, but it sure did look like it would be fun for a while. It was apparently a bad seller for Harley, which seems to happen whenever they try to do anything different despite the rave reviews it got when it came out.

I think I'm probably getting too old and fat for a machine like that, but nice to day dream about.

EMC45
08-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Lately, I have been pondering a Yamaha TW200.

Finster101
08-01-2021, 10:21 AM
Never too old Rich. I just finished a 2800 mile trip last week. Rode up to the Mid Ohio Sports Car Track for an event and met some friends form up north there. I'm the kid at 60, the rest of the crew is in the mid seventies. My touring bike is an 08 Harley Roadglide. I rode it to Alaska a few years ago, just shy of 12,000 miles round trip. I have a 93 Fatboy as my hotrod/bar hopper. While I can't do 700 mile days anymore I do love getting my face in the wind. (used to be my hair in the wind but well not much hair anymore) If you like the 1200 get it! Riding is my Xanax.

richhodg66
08-01-2021, 10:30 AM
Never too old Rich. I just finished a 2800 mile trip last week. Rode up to the Mid Ohio Sports Car Track for an event and met some friends form up north there. I'm the kid at 60, the rest of the crew is in the mid seventies. My touring bike is an 08 Harley Roadglide. I rode it to Alaska a few years ago, just shy of 12,000 miles round trip. I have a 93 Fatboy as my hotrod/bar hopper. While I can't do 700 mile days anymore I do love getting my face in the wind. (used to be my hair in the wind but well not much hair anymore) If you like the 1200 get it! Riding is my Xanax.

I comutted to Topeka daily for a while on a 2003 Suzuki Dl 1000 V-Strom. Also did week long trips for work to Fort Knox and also Great Lakes Naval station, both just over 600 miles. That was a great bike for putting miles in on the slab, fast and powerful and I could carry a lot of stuff. I have some back issues now plus a left knee that really sitiffens up on a long ride like that now. Can't see spending more than an hour in the saddle anymore, but my drive to work now is maybe 15 minutes of some nice rural road and that Bonneville is perfect.

Kind of funny how your interets do change, I was really passionate about it a few years ago, now would a lot rather just sit home and reload and plink. Used to bowfish every day too, went out about a year ago during the gar spawn and found myself more interested in watching them than shooting them. Guess I'm slowing down.

That XR1200 is nice. Never really was a Harley besides that one that had any real interest from me, but I bet that thing will just flat out rock on the open road.

Finster101
08-01-2021, 10:47 AM
Our interest change sometimes because we come down with Henny Youngman's disease. It hurts when we do that so we don't do that anymore. Being in Florida I definitely use my bikes as transportation. I have an 08 pickup bought new and the roadglide bought new, the bike has the most miles on it. You can get a lot of groceries in those saddle bags. Spent a bit of time around Ft. Knox. I lived in Louisville. Had an Uncle stationed there and we would visit and go on post some. As a teenager in a band we would play some shows at the Copple Club. Not sure is that spelling is correct. Then a few months there doing basic and AIT.

rbuck351
08-01-2021, 10:56 AM
I will be 73 next month but won't give up my bike until I can't control it. It'a a 94 BMW R1100RS and at 95,000 miles still runs like new. If I had to ride a Harley I might give up riding. Would love to have a 66 Bonneville for zipping around town.

Finster101
08-01-2021, 10:58 AM
I will be 73 next month but won't give up my bike until I can't control it. It'a a 94 BMW R1100RS and at 95,000 miles still runs like new. If I had to ride a Harley I might give up riding.

You must hate Lee products too.

rbuck351
08-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Nope, got a lot of lee stuff but I do like smooth and a 45 degree V twin is not smooth.

shell70634
08-01-2021, 11:06 AM
A few years back I took my 02 Roadking Police in for service (I could afford it then). Came out with my Roadking and a new Limited. They made a deal I couldn't refuse. But I justified it by logic:
Limited had anti lock brakes, 6 speed, rode 2 people, and a stereo. Still have em both. Probably trade the Limited off this year for an old chevy pickup. To hot to ride in the summer, to busy to ride in the winter. What little I do ride, I tend to grab the the old one with the air seat. Starting to get a twinge of hip pain when I ride to long.
Yer never to old and fat. You just need to change your riding habits. And get a comfortable seat.

richhodg66
08-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Well, truthfully, that Bonneville is probably what I need, just take short trips when I feel like it. Good commuter, easy and fun to ride and British twins just look so classy. No shortage here in the Flint Hills of nice rolling country two-lane either. Another thing I lost along the way is a desire to travel much, so the joy riding will likely be the extent of my biking from here on.

marlin39a
08-01-2021, 11:44 AM
I bought a new Harley Davidson Sportster, back in February. XL1200NS, in billiard blue. I’m 65 now. I love riding around Prescott, Jerome, Williams, and cruising old Rt. 66. I immediately replaced all lights with LED units for better visibility. Helmets not required here, but I wear one. Leather, boots, gloves, are worn. The best purchase I’ve made in my old age.

rockrat
08-01-2021, 11:45 AM
The Harley Heritage I have has a balanced engine and is fairly smooth. Not near as smooth as my Honda Valkyrie was, but good enough.

Big Tom
08-01-2021, 11:50 AM
I just got rid of my Heritage Classic a week ago. Not because I don't like riding, but people/kids on the road simply don't care anymore, don't pay attention and/or simply have no clue how to safely drive their cars. The last three trips I was on (all SW Ohio), I had almost 3 accidents, none of them caused by me. I did ride for 40 years, but am too young to die because of idiots on the roads :-)

Idaho45guy
08-01-2021, 12:26 PM
When I was a kid, my uncle who lived next door, owned the Honda motorcycle dealership in town. His son was an avid motocross racer, and he and I had a blast riding in the woods.

I have had a few bikes over the years, and absolutely love riding, but just couldn't justify the cost vs practicality of it living up here in the Idaho area. We get about 2-3 months of decent weather, and if you have the right gear, could probably ride nearly 9 months out of the year since roads stay bare so much now.

My last bike was a dual sport DR650. Before that, a HD Road King custom when I lived in Arizona. Loved that bike!

But, Arizona was the epicenter of the universe when it came to men too old to ride buying giant cruisers and committing suicide riding on twisty roads shared with unlicensed illegals headed to construction sites still drunk.

Just so much carnage and death in that area!

Worst I saw was a group of retired first responders sitting at a stoplight when a Mexican high on drugs plowed into them and killed three of them.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna36040752

This one happened about a half mile from my house and was horrific...

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2011/apr/27/motorcyclist-airlifted-to-hospital-after-crash-wi/

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2011/aug/27/obituary-colin-c-cinders-macdiarmid/

The 63 yr old was riding a new Victory cruiser, which had a reserve fuel tank in the fairing (???). He was going 40 mph in a 35 mph zone and approached the intersection with a green light. A 17 year old girl in a Kia SUV didn't see him and turned right in front of him. He hit the SUV broadside, and all of the fuel in the fairing sprayed all over him and ignited as he was thrown airborne through the intersection.

He was horribly burned and survived a few days on life support before succumbing to his injuries. Ironically and tragically, his nickname was "Cinder".

I stopped riding on the street in Arizona after that.

Evoken
08-01-2021, 01:00 PM
I enjoy riding, although I find myself with less and less time to do it. I've got 2 evo big twin harleys (Evoken...), and you don't have to dress like a pirate to ride one. As to getting too old to ride, pap was in his 80's before gram finally made him hang it up.
It is definitely getting to be a more dangerous pastime with all of the knuckleheads on the road. However, we do deal with molten metal and explosive brass containers in this hobby.

dverna
08-01-2021, 01:29 PM
I just got rid of my Heritage Classic a week ago. Not because I don't like riding, but people/kids on the road simply don't care anymore, don't pay attention and/or simply have no clue how to safely drive their cars. The last three trips I was on (all SW Ohio), I had almost 3 accidents, none of them caused by me. I did ride for 40 years, but am too young to die because of idiots on the roads :-)

Yep.....a buddy of mine got badly injured. Guy driving the car did not see him (or was not looking for a cycle).

slohunter
08-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Going on 70 I've slowed down a bit, still have my 1971 Super Glide, first year for that model, kick start. Bought a 2009 XL 1200 C a few years back. Electric start, will stop riding when I quit breathing!

memtb
08-01-2021, 04:00 PM
I haven’t ridden in years. In the ‘70’s put a lot of miles on a Honda and several years racing short track! The “only” Harley that I would be interested in, would be an XR 750 set-up for 1/2 mile and 1 mile dirt ovals!

If I ever considered another street bike, it would probably be a BMW or a Honda. memtb

panhed65
08-01-2021, 05:39 PM

I am in the same place as you, been riding my 65 FLH for probably around 40 years, been from Pa to Maine and to Florida a few times, lots of miles, but last few times out, cannot deal with the people who have their phones in front of their faces. too many close calls, at 72 my reflexes are not as quick anymore. its parked, thinking about selling it, but hard to part with it. do miss it.
Barry

WebMonkey
08-01-2021, 06:36 PM
inline fours for over forty years.

can't muscle around a heavy bike anymore but still remember what a big four cylinder bike can do.
(i mean the gravel floored garage and 2.25 miles of crappy gravel road to get to the asphalt. riding itself is near effortless)

this keeps me from buying anything smaller.

:)

rkrcpa
08-01-2021, 06:47 PM
Shovel head 'till I'm dead!

MrWolf
08-01-2021, 08:54 PM
I comutted to Topeka daily for a while on a 2003 Suzuki Dl 1000 V-Strom. Also did week long trips for work to Fort Knox and also Great Lakes Naval station, both just over 600 miles. That was a great bike for putting miles in on the slab, fast and powerful and I could carry a lot of stuff. I have some back issues now plus a left knee that really sitiffens up on a long ride like that now. Can't see spending more than an hour in the saddle anymore, but my drive to work now is maybe 15 minutes of some nice rural road and that Bonneville is perfect.

Kind of funny how your interets do change, I was really passionate about it a few years ago, now would a lot rather just sit home and reload and plink. Used to bowfish every day too, went out about a year ago during the gar spawn and found myself more interested in watching them than shooting them. Guess I'm slowing down.

That XR1200 is nice. Never really was a Harley besides that one that had any real interest from me, but I bet that thing will just flat out rock on the open road.

The back issues will only get worse. I can't sit, stand, etc for more than about 45 minutes without pain. My gf and I both have licenses, but nowadays not worth it especially in the mountains where I am. People just don't pay attention driving anymore. We talked about it and figured just not worth it. I am 61and she will be 56 soon.

richhodg66
08-01-2021, 10:13 PM
inline fours for over forty years.

can't muscle around a heavy bike anymore but still remember what a big four cylinder bike can do.
(i mean the gravel floored garage and 2.25 miles of crappy gravel road to get to the asphalt. riding itself is near effortless)

this keeps me from buying anything smaller.

:)

Inline fours. The bike I learned how to ride on was a 1983 Kawasaki KZ 1100. Big machine to learn on, but being slightly intimidated by it made me respect it.

When you get down to it, the inline fours, Honda's introduction of the 750 four in '72 and Kawasaki's intro of the Z1 the following year really, really raised th bar at that point for motorcycle performance and reliability. Especially the Z1, I know they changed the head on them at some point, but the Z1 and improvement, the KZ1000 set the standard. They didn't stop proiduction of the KZ1000P until 2005 when the tooling in their Omaha plant wore out. What other motorcycle has had the same basic engine for 32 years?

Butzbach
08-02-2021, 12:53 AM
Well, truthfully, that Bonneville is probably what I need, just take short trips when I feel like it. Good commuter, easy and fun to ride and British twins just look so classy. No shortage here in the Flint Hills of nice rolling country two-lane either. Another thing I lost along the way is a desire to travel much, so the joy riding will likely be the extent of my biking from here on.

Be sure to get spares of the major electrical system components, especially the coils. My brother had a ‘68 back in the day.

slim1836
08-02-2021, 04:19 AM
Been riding a friends Moto Guzzi (he has 3 of them) when I visit him in East Texas, much less traffic there. I'm getting used to them but it's not what I've ridden in my prior years.

For the last years I've only had HD big twins, my current one is a 2010 HD Ultra Glide. It's got more stuff on it than I know what to do with, plus at my age and strength level, it's just too much weight (881 lbs. dry).

Might get my sons 883 Sportster since he laid it down last week and it needs extensive work, all of which I can do myself. He's sore but will be ok. Wouldn't mind riding it out east on the back roads.

Slim

Nazgul
08-02-2021, 04:40 AM

Bought my 2016 Indian Chief Dark Horse when I retired. Quit riding 40 years before when I started a family. Ride it every minute I can.

Don

GregLaROCHE
08-02-2021, 05:07 AM
I parked my Moto Guzzi in my barn thirteen years ago. It is a California model, but I had taken the windshield and a lot of extra stuff off of it. Anyway, a young friend convinced me to get it out a year ago. Unfortunately, some rodents had decided to taste test some of the wiring harness. It can be repaired and I once enjoyed doing such things. Now however, I’ve been thinking about taking it to a shop. I’m sure it will be expensive, because there will probably be a more to be done. New tires etc.

Lloyd Smale
08-02-2021, 05:39 AM
had many bikes through the years. Mostly motocross when young. A couple jab bikes a 900 kawasaki and an 1100 suzuki. then i went harley. last one was a 2015 heritage. My back got to the point that i suffered even on a 100 mile ride so the bikes and snowmobiles went down the road being driven by someone else. Favorite one was my 2009 fat boy. Mostly because i was retired and had time to ride and still could.

beemer
08-02-2021, 08:13 AM
I sold both my bikes two weeks ago, a 1974 and a 1976 BMW R90/6. I haven't rode in over 10 years but will always miss it. Ageing parents, job loss and some health problems forced me to park them. I decided not to take it up again due to slow reflexes, heavy traffic, people with their head up a cell phone and the fact that I don't bounce well anymore. Did I say I will miss riding.

Still have other things to do, turn bowls, dulcimers, longrifles and the ever present honeydew list. Casting and shooting of course.

Dave

richhodg66
08-02-2021, 08:24 AM
Be sure to get spares of the major electrical system components, especially the coils. My brother had a ‘68 back in the day.

This one is a 2002, so a bit more modern. Lot of fun to ride and I love the way they look.

It always has been cold blooded, though. The dealership I brought it too has a young guy (kind of surprising, usually it takes an old mechanic to really fix stuff and not just be a parts changer) who was a whizz with carburetors. Hoping that Bonnie comes back a little more forgiving when it comes time to start her up.

Thundarstick
08-02-2021, 08:45 AM
I'm 58 now and put 16,000 miles on my Honda NC750X last year. You do have to watch for other drivers and never"zone out" while riding, but the deer scare me worse than any driver on the road! I'm definitely not going to have near the miles this year between work, selling a house, and keeping up my place have taken all my free time! Add to that, we have had an exceptionally wet late spring and summer its spent more time parked this year. The way people drive and riders ride I'm shocked we don't have more carnage on the roads than we do.

Hickok
08-03-2021, 09:54 AM
At 66, I am still throwing my leg across the saddle. Sometimes after a ride i have aches and pains, but heck, I have aches and pains from everything nowadays.

At present I have a 2018 Indian Scout Bobber and a 2013 Yammie FZ6R Sport bike. I have always loved the 4-cylinder engines since owning a 72' Honda CB750 I bought back in 1973.

I still dig the sport bikes, as I am on my third one. This Yammie 600 is a little milder and has better manners for the street than some of previous "crotch rockets" I have owned. The 600 cc 4-cylinder still screams up to 11000-12000 rpm, and easily does the "ton"!

Indian Scout after changing the rear shocks for a set of Progressive shocks, and a new Mustang seat is nice and comfortable to ride.

gwpercle
08-03-2021, 10:49 AM
I intensely Loved riding a motorcycle . A Kawasaki Mach III 500 cc triple cylinder two stroke was the fastest and most exciting . My only form of transportation from 1974 to 1987 .
Lost the sight in my right eye (detached retina) and then after two bad wrecks and a third close call it made me realize you need two good eyes to survive on the streets and I gave up riding .
Some of my High school buddies were still riding and taking long road trips up into the mountains , up until the Pandemic ... but those guys were insane to begin with !
Gary

Ural Driver
08-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Been riding since I was a kid. Haven't yet made time to count them all....but its been a bunch. Did 26 years in Motors on 2 Kawasaki's and 4 BMW's. Bought a new Ural in 2007 which I still have. This is a photo of Mom and I a few years back.....she did NOT like it when I flew the chair.

Bulldogger
08-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Shovel head 'till I'm dead!

Here here! I have a 1975 Super Glide myself. Doesn't get ridden much now, since I work from home and it was primarily for commuting. Not ready to let it go yet though.

Bulldogger

Finster101
08-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Well heck, I might as well show mine too.

Don't know why it's upside down but if you click on it, it comes up correct in the new window.

08-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Rich, My first bike was a '73 Bonneville. The first year it came out in 750. Worked all summer for enough money to reach the price. ( I was the second highest paid man in the factory at the time and I was just a kid!!!). Rode like it had claws.

gwrench
08-03-2021, 06:59 PM
My brother had an XR1200 for a while a few years ago. My impression was a great look, nice brakes but power quit about 4500rpm. I guess I'm geared more to inline fours and more horse power. I don't always want to use the power but a bad impression is hard to get over. I didn't like it.

On the other hand my most recent bike was a Triumph Tiger 900. I really liked the bike but I found I rode it way too fast. My body is feeling the results of age and hard use already so I sold the Tiger. Sometimes I feel some remorse but it was the right decision. I picked up a 4 wheeled toy to replace it.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2021, 04:50 AM
My brother had an XR1200 for a while a few years ago. My impression was a great look, nice brakes but power quit about 4500rpm. I guess I'm geared more to inline fours and more horse power. I don't always want to use the power but a bad impression is hard to get over. I didn't like it.

On the other hand my most recent bike was a Triumph Tiger 900. I really liked the bike but I found I rode it way too fast. My body is feeling the results of age and hard use already so I sold the Tiger. Sometimes I feel some remorse but it was the right decision. I picked up a 4 wheeled toy to replace it.

i did the same. Had to get rid of my snowmobiles and bikes because of back problems but always had fast cars too so when i sold my harley i bought a 392 hemi challenger. Love the thing. still have a 4 wheeler and side by side but about the only time i use them is at camp in hunting season. Even sold my boat this summer. I rarely used it and it was a money pit. Seems like every time i did use it it was taking friends and family for a cruize or inviting someone to go fishing and i ended up footing the bill and twin 200hp outboards did use some fuel. Then im not even factoring in the maintenance it required. Id like to get a smaller boat. Maybe something around a 19 footer with a single motor. But right now my money is going into building the house.

higgins
08-05-2021, 07:29 PM
I've never owned a motorcycle, never really wanted on even at the age when I was supposed to want one. Having said that, if I were to suddenly decide I wanted a motorcycle, especially one that would be reliable and go about anywhere, I would seriously consider the Yamahas that two Germans rode from Germany to India in Himalaya Calling on Amazon Prime video. About the only preparation for the trip was a skid plate under the engine and oil pan and side bars to protect the rider and engine if the bike fell on its side. When you see some of the places they bought gas, you also realize those Yamahas will run on anything resembling gasoline.

Incidentally, this is one of the best travel shows I've ever seen for scenery in places that don't get exposure on many travel shows. Worth a watch if you like either travel shows or motorcycle adventures.

Idaho45guy
08-05-2021, 10:55 PM
I've never owned a motorcycle, never really wanted on even at the age when I was supposed to want one. Having said that, if I were to suddenly decide I wanted a motorcycle, especially one that would be reliable and go about anywhere, I would seriously consider the Yamahas that two Germans rode from Germany to India in Himalaya Calling on Amazon Prime video. About the only preparation for the trip was a skid plate under the engine and oil pan and side bars to protect the rider and engine if the bike fell on its side. When you see some of the places they bought gas, you also realize those Yamahas will run on anything resembling gasoline.

Incidentally, this is one of the best travel shows I've ever seen for scenery in places that don't get exposure on many travel shows. Worth a watch if you like either travel shows or motorcycle adventures.

Thanks for the tip!

snowwolfe
08-06-2021, 08:48 AM
Rode all my adult life. Even did a solo trip on a Goldwing from Kentucky to Alaska. In over 40 years never so much as laid down a bike. Then last September someone blasted thru a red light and hit me from behind. 13 screws, 3 plates, and almost 5 days in the hospital and I made a promise, no more bikes. Drivers are pure crazy anymore and are always distracted on their phones.
I'll stick with fast cars. My ZL1 is quicker than the Kawasaki Z900 I was riding when hit. There isn't a 3 day stretch around here where I don't here of a rider getting killed on a bike.
Miss it? Yes. But I'll stick to a cage from now on.

After insurance totaled my new Z900 I sold my last bike, 2018 VStrom 1000. That thing could flat chew up an interstate. It loved running 75-80 mph. And with Givi panniers it would carry a ton of gear.

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2021, 06:19 AM
went for a ride yesterday. The son in law is helping me build my house. We are about done. He came over to do some work on his harley soft tail classic (my old bike) . We need some 12/2 and had to run 50 miles to town to get it so i hopped on his bike and went myself. Felt good to ride again but by the time i got back home id had about enough.

Texas by God
08-07-2021, 08:15 AM
I commuted to Dallas and back every day of the week ( 130 miles) for a few years( except in the winter) on a KZ1000 or a Yamaha 650 Special. The KZ was better suited for this.. Good times and terrifying times dodging the rock haulers on highway 114. I gave up motorcycles at my new wife's request 33 years ago. She knows that if she passes first, this guy will be at the motorcycle dealer soon after[emoji16]!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
08-07-2021, 09:33 AM
I got started riding in 1976 on a Yamaha DT400 enduro. Cost $1000 brand new. Got some road rash, broke a wrist and a great toe but learned to handle a powerful dirt bike. In 1981 I bought a new Honda CB900F Super Sport and I found the power and speed intoxicating. Managed to avoid any serious mishaps on that bike somehow. Sold it 1995 and was without a bike until 2002 when I purchased a new Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom. Did a bunch of touring on that. Around Lake Superoir, Sturgis and out to San Diego and back. Also had a 2002 Suzuki SV650 which I heavily modded for sport riding. Passed that bike on to my eldest son and sold the Vstrom in 2011. Got another DL1000 in 2016 and rode that out to Spokane and Tacoma. Did intake, fueling and exhaust mods on it and it really moves. Figure I'll be riding until health prevents it.

KCSO
08-07-2021, 10:09 AM
Many different bikes in over 50 years of riding. In 1974 I got my 100,000 mile marker from Road Rider on a BMW R 90. Don't make as many miles anymore but still get out on the latest, a Yamaha V Star.

Wag
08-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Been riding since I was a little kid. But I had to do it on borrowed bikes because mom and dad laid down the law: Stay off the motorcycles. So, we sneaked in rides as often as possible when no adults were around. (They had the same rule about guns, too and with the same effect.)

Of course, when I left home, the first things I bought with my own money was a motorcycle and soon after that, a pistol. The bike was a Honda CB400. The pistol was a Ruger P89DC in 9mm. The bike was my daily commuter, rain, sun, snow, winter, summer, etc. Better than the bus, though, and since it was Southern California, weather wasn't a problem too often. As for the pistol, it was back in the days when CA wasn't so stringent so it was enjoyable too and it got me started reloading.

After that, I got a Honda Shadow 750, my first and only cruiser. Later, I got a sport bike, a Suzuki Katana 1100 and I've been riding sport bikes since. The next bike I got was a Hayabusa and that was a blast. Now, I'm riding a BMW S1000RR and having a blast on it.

At some point in there, I had a few friends (still have those friends, though everyone has moved away) who taught me to ride and to use the right gear.

Nowadays, I don't like to ride on the streets. Very dangerous with people looking at their damn cell phones all the time. Just isn't worth it. I will get out into the local mountains, though, preferably early in the A.M. on a Saturday or Sunday and it's pleasant and enjoyable.

--Wag--

robg
08-08-2021, 01:52 PM
rode everyday from 16-56 ,hit off once .started 1970 on the road, stopped when i injured my back at work and couldnt ride for a while sold my last bikes.spend my money on guns now.