PDA

View Full Version : Lead on sale at Rotometals

Buzzard II
07-31-2021, 05:29 PM
I hope this is OK to post here, I'm not sure. If NG, please delete it, I don't want any trouble. Rotometals is having a sale on lead. Various prices according to how much you buy. 31 July 2021.

USE COUPON CODE "SIZZLE" FOR COUPON CODE DISCOUNT , RECEIVED E-MAIL FROM THEM 10 AUGUST 2021 No, I don't work there, just trying to help other casters/shooters

SALE ENDS TODAY 15 AUGUST 2021 SALE CODE "SIZZLE"

Hanzy4200
08-04-2021, 09:24 PM
Man, if I had to buy my lead from those guys, I don't know if I would bother casting. I do buy their Super Hard alloy from time to time. Good stuff.

turtlezx
08-04-2021, 09:41 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$ that bad????

Buck Shot
08-04-2021, 10:38 PM
Man, if I had to buy my lead from those guys, I don't know if I would bother casting.

Rotometals is by far the best source I've found so far, but if you've got some better sources, I'm all ears.

Omega
08-04-2021, 10:51 PM
$4 a lb for #2, $3 a lb for pure, on sale, at RotoMetals, has this been the price for a while or is this due to the CCP virus?

kevin c
08-05-2021, 04:23 AM
They've always been a good provider of alloys you can trust content wise, but have never been a bargain vendor. Their prices are not so bad if on sale and if you order enough to get free shipping. If you can pick up from their warehouses (I think they have two or three locations in the lower 48) they have given me further discounts equivalent to their saved shipping costs.

BIGOX
08-05-2021, 05:23 AM
Wow $4 a lb. For Lyman #2 and here I am trading 60lbs of this stuff at a $1.25 a lb. Ive never purchased from Rotometals but thats seems really high. Maybe I should start selling lead.

Half Dog
08-05-2021, 06:45 AM
Looks like the price of their shot is still at Gunbroker prices.

dverna
08-05-2021, 09:14 AM
Rotometals has a place in the market. If you want to try a known alloy and only need a small amount you will get what you specify.

I tried buying in bulk (2000 lbs) from them about 10-12 years ago but that is not their market. I wound up going with Mayco and saved a significant amount. I doubt commercial casters buy from them based on my experience.

I just visited their site and there are no bargains for my needs. Shot at $75/bag is not much of a "sale".

Mal Paso
08-05-2021, 11:39 AM
I bought a half ton of antimony lead from Rotometals a couple years ago during a sale for about $1.60 a pound delivered. I had a better price from a midwest mill but the shipping was as much as the lead. I had been a scrounger up to that point but with the sources of lead drying up the cost in time got too high. 1000 lbs would have taken about 16 swap and sell deals and my mailman was close to postal already. It would have taken a few days to make the deals, track and pick up.

Rotometals is a good deal, you just can't compare prices to what you pay when you do much of the work.

centershot
08-05-2021, 02:42 PM
I bought a half ton of antimony lead from Rotometals a couple years ago during a sale for about $1.60 a pound delivered. I had a better price from a midwest mill but the shipping was as much as the lead. I had been a scrounger up to that point but with the sources of lead drying up the cost in time got too high. 1000 lbs would have taken about 16 swap and sell deals and my mailman was close to postal already. It would have taken a few days to make the deals, track and pick up.

Rotometals is a good deal, you just can't compare prices to what you pay when you do much of the work.

Amen to that! It's not worth my time, gas, and energy to scrounge for unknown alloy when I can buy exactly what I want from vendors like Rotometals.

kevin c
08-06-2021, 02:27 PM
I guess it can be said: if you want a specific casting alloy, in unlimited quantities and anytime the mood hits you, Rotometals is just a call or click away. It's just that such convenience has a price.

dverna
08-06-2021, 02:45 PM
I guess it can be said: if you want a specific casting alloy, in unlimited quantities and anytime the mood hits you, Rotometals is just a call or click away. It's just that such convenience has a price.

Different folks have different "needs/wants".

For example, when I was working and logging over 100k miles a year on airplanes, I bought cast bullets even though I had everything to cast my own. I could have saved a lot of money by casting my own, or shot a lot less.

reddog81
08-06-2021, 07:32 PM
At $4 a pound you're paying $.07 for a 124 grain bullet. Prior to Covid you could get a jacketed bullet from Rocky Mountain Reloading for that price.

I'll stick to my WW's and craigslist scrap pick ups...

Cosmic_Charlie
08-08-2021, 10:52 AM
I got some 20/1 from them when I first started casting. Nice alloy for a beginner to work with.

rbuck351
08-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Spot price for pure is $1.06 and they are selling for $3. Not a bad profit margin. I got lucky a few years back and got about 900 lbs of pure delivered to my garage for nothing.

Buck Shot
08-09-2021, 04:40 PM
At $4 a pound you're paying $.07 for a 124 grain bullet.

So...7% of the cost of the primer. Not bad! https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/jester.gif

ElPistolero
08-09-2021, 06:09 PM
Roto' is my "Go To" but I can't complain about the 1800 pounds I got for free when the local hospital completely rebuilt is radiation facility.
I trust Roto' for alloys that are above my ability to construct.

Froogal
08-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Amen to that! It's not worth my time, gas, and energy to scrounge for unknown alloy when I can buy exactly what I want from vendors like Rotometals.

I buy 50 pounds at a time. Free shipping, and it is delivered right to my door.

Cosmic_Charlie
08-10-2021, 11:25 AM
I need to start scrounging again. I got lucky and bought 300# of cable sheathing and also about 200 # of pure and WW already in ingots. Dollar a pound, no tax or shipping. I would buy a half ton of that cable sheathing if I could find more of it.

farmbif
08-10-2021, 12:40 PM
thanks for pointing this out, what I found most interesting to me was 40lb box of mixed foundry type, great stuff for adding to pure lead. plus the price on ar500 steel targets is very tempting

Buck Shot
08-10-2021, 03:18 PM
what I found most interesting to me was 40lb box of mixed foundry type, great stuff for adding to pure lead.

I just bought one of those. Pretty nice stuff, especially considering that they're selling it for not much more than they charge for pure lead.

What puzzles me (but I'm new to casting) is that they describe the alloy as having about double the antimony (20-26%) and double if not triple the percentage of tin (8-14%) compared to Linotype, yet they say its BHN hardness is 22 -- the same as Linotype. Can anyone shed any light on this? I thought the BHN for Foundry Type was 28.

Buzzard II
08-15-2021, 11:38 AM
sale ends today 15 august 2021 sale code "sizzle"

DaveN
10-15-2021, 02:11 PM
I bought one of their 40 lb boxes of mixed foundry type. I melted the whole thing in one pot, and fluxed it several times. I sent RotoMetals a sample and the XRF analysis was 15.75% tin, 32.1% antimony and 4.9% copper and the balance was lead.