PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun primers

acemedic13
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
I know this section is about shotgun CASTING, but it was the closest place to a shottie question area I could get. Just wanted to know if any of you guys have tried cheddite 209 primers, and how did they work. Word around the campfire is they are a little bigger than winchester's and you need to load a little heavier(specially with clays) with them.They are a lot cheaper than other brands though, but.......I dont know about quality. I would step out on a limb and order a bunch but I thought I would ask first. If I can't get any good info here...what the heck! I will buy some and let YOU know. Joel

DMC
01-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Most of the competition shooters at SGW who go through a LOT of primers are using RIOs. They claim that the Cheddites are prone to pierceing. Don't know how true that is, I use Winchesters.

DC

Johnch
01-08-2009, 01:04 AM
I have about 11 1/2 K left out of 15 K I bought this summer
They are slightly larger in dia
So if you prime a hull with the Cheddite primers and then try and use any of the US made primers
The US made primers will be loose and may leak gas when fired

Not a problem for me

As for how much pressure they produce
I run Greendot for most of my 12 gau target loads
And in my shotgun , I didn't notice more than 40 FPS loss in velosity over listed book velosity

But you can get that much in lot to lot changes
As I started a new 8 lb jug about the same time I started the new primers

I did do a test of 50 shots over the Croney , from memory
The SD was just more than what my last batch of CCI primers produced
But still not a whole lot

I can tell you
When I miss , it isn't the load or the gun's fault
It is my fault

OH in those 3 1/2 K primers I have loaded , not 1 dud

John

turbo1889
01-08-2009, 02:21 AM
The local reloading shop carries them by the case for about half the price of the other 209 primers and so I use them for all my loads that don't require a magnum primer -- work fine for me so far.

singleshotbuff
01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
FWIW I use Nobel Sport primers. Same size as 209s, use W209 data and MUCH cheaper than any other type available around here.

SSB

acemedic13
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will order a few thousand next week and see what they do. I have read about them being slightly larger than standard 209 primers. I also read a thread on another forum from a guy who did some measurements on several thousand of these things (this dude must have had some time on his hands) and found they were almost the same as a 209. So what the heck. I will try them. If nothing else I will have a stash of primers that will work in a pinch. Thanks again....Joel