PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Loading/Pressures for Ubertis in .45 Colt?

VariableRecall
07-28-2021, 11:49 PM
My brother and I are somewhat torn in the realms of a 5.5 inch, 45 Colt WheelyGat. We know that a Ruger Blackhawk, with a much more reinforced top strap, will allow us to load in a much more comfortable range of pressures. However, as far as I'm aware, there's going to be a fine line between working just fine and disaster with an Uberti Replica.
Then again, Ubertis offer a more authentic cowboy experience, and are more historically accurate in comparison to the more spiritually descended Ruger Blackhawk.

If any of you fine people happen to have Uberti Replicas, such as the Cattleman II's or other SAA-alikes, what do you load them at?

Our loading resources are 200gn SWC's and Win231. According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, this calls for 7.4gn at a minimum of Win 231. Is that going to be safe?

Mk42gunner
07-29-2021, 12:05 AM
I would load them to standard Colt SAA levels, and try to get an accurate load for my gun.

Even though they are made from modern steel, they are still the same size as a Colt Single Action Army.

In other words, if you want to hotrod the .45 Colt; get a Ruger Blackhawk or large frame Vaquero.

Robert

VariableRecall
07-29-2021, 01:40 AM
I would load them to standard Colt SAA levels, and try to get an accurate load for my gun.

Even though they are made from modern steel, they are still the same size as a Colt Single Action Army.

In other words, if you want to hotrod the .45 Colt; get a Ruger Blackhawk or large frame Vaquero.

Robert

I wouldn't want to hotrod it, I just want to know that what's in my loading manuals is going to be safe for a potential Uberti replica, so I can have single action fun with confidence in its strength for normal rounds.

Idaho45guy
07-29-2021, 03:26 AM
I have both an Uberti clone and a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I am very careful to not mix up the ammo since the Ruger is my bear medicine and it's loads are hot.

My absolute favorite load for both the Ruger and Uberti for target practice is a 250 grain boolit and 6.0 grains of Trail Boss.

When you go to the Hogdon load data site, they have a drop down menu for the various calibers. .45 Colt has two options; Ruger/Freedom Arms/TC only and then regular .45 Colt loads intended for the originals and clones.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/reloading-data-center

They list the max load of 231 at 7.1 grains for the Uberti clones, and no loads listed at all using 231 for the Ruger-only recipes.

I haven't done a ton of load development for the .45 Colt in plinking loads. It's all been focusing on hard-hitting woods loads, but I do know that my Trail Boss load is the softest shooting and most accurate load I have.

Tar Heel
07-29-2021, 04:49 AM
The powder manufacturers published loads for the 45 Colt are all safe to shoot in your Uberti replica UNLESS the load manual specifies the loads are for a Ruger or a T/C. Mine loves 6.0gr of Tite Group with the 255gr bullet. Have fun.

Outpost75
07-29-2021, 09:19 PM
I have .45 ACP cylinders for my Uberti and Pietta clones. You are OK with .45 Colt loads which do not exceed 18-20,000 psi.

Walks
07-29-2021, 09:45 PM
This is why I have a .44Mag SBH.
My Ruger .45 Blackhawk gets loaded with the same loads as Colt SAA & Clones. Or STD 45ACP loads when fitted with that cylinder.

Hot Loads = .44Mag
Std Loads = .45Colt/ACP

Gray Fox
07-29-2021, 10:13 PM
I have had great success with any 250 grain RNFP or SWC and 6.5 grains of Win 231 as safe cowboy/SASS loads. They do well in carbines, too. GF

VariableRecall
07-30-2021, 02:12 AM
I have had great success with any 250 grain RNFP or SWC and 6.5 grains of Win 231 as safe cowboy/SASS loads. They do well in carbines, too. GF

Thanks! It's a great relief to know that the Uberti's will hold up to standard pressure .45 Colt loads.

VariableRecall
07-30-2021, 02:15 AM
I have .45 ACP cylinders for my Uberti and Pietta clones. You are OK with .45 Colt loads which do not exceed 18-20,000 psi.

May I ask where you found some Uberti .45 ACP Cylinders? I didn't find any conversion cylinders on their website.

Would it have to be a custom gunsmith job? Or, would .45 Cowboy Special be more fitting in this sort of situation?

megasupermagnum
07-30-2021, 02:43 AM
In case you were not aware, 45 colt SAMMI pressure is only 14,000 psi. All 45 colt guns can handle that. As was said, there is only one level of 45 colt data, unless you find a TC/Ruger only section. You will know the TC/Ruger section when you see it.

Outpost75
07-30-2021, 11:07 AM
May I ask where you found some Uberti .45 ACP Cylinders? I didn't find any conversion cylinders on their website.

Would it have to be a custom gunsmith job? Or, would .45 Cowboy Special be more fitting in this sort of situation?

Easy to line-bore and rechamber a .44 Special or .38 Special cylinder to .45 ACP, but I got mine from Cimmarron.
Either .455 Eley or .45 Cowboy also work. DOES require gunsmith fitting.

Bent Ramrod
07-30-2021, 12:21 PM
You can also check VTI Gun Parts. They have most parts for the current Italian replicas, and good advice for adapting currently available parts to obsolete brands like ASM.

jaguarxk120
07-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Try VTI gunparts, they list a 45ACP cylinder on the parts page. You have to check stock.
The price is $120.0, it will have to be fitted to your gun.

Larry Gibson
07-30-2021, 01:41 PM
My brother and I are somewhat torn in the realms of a 5.5 inch, 45 Colt WheelyGat. We know that a Ruger Blackhawk, with a much more reinforced top strap, will allow us to load in a much more comfortable range of pressures. However, as far as I'm aware, there's going to be a fine line between working just fine and disaster with an Uberti Replica.
Then again, Ubertis offer a more authentic cowboy experience, and are more historically accurate in comparison to the more spiritually descended Ruger Blackhawk.

If any of you fine people happen to have Uberti Replicas, such as the Cattleman II's or other SAA-alikes, what do you load them at?

Our loading resources are 200gn SWC's and Win231. According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, this calls for 7.4gn at a minimum of Win 231. Is that going to be safe?

Yes, that is going to be quite safe in any Uberti SAA chambered for 45 Colt.

While I have not pressure tested 231 in the 45 Colt my standard load for 195 - 205 gr cast bullets is 7.3 gr of Bullseye. It pressure tests at 14,000 psi +/-. The same bullets with 7 gr of 700X pressure tests at 14,000 psi also. Velocity for both out of my 4 3/4 and 5 1/2" Uberti SAAs run 950 fps +/-. They run 1150 - 1200 fps out of my Uberti M73 lever action.

I've a 45 ACP for the Uberti "Evil Roy" SA. I shoot my standard 45 ACP load with 195 - 205 gr cast bullets over 5 gr Bullseye. That load pressure test at 14,000 to 17,000 psi depending on bullet. With Lee 452-230-TC (234 gr fully dressed) over 5 gr Bullseye the psi runs 17,500 - 18,000 psi. It has proven to be a superb load in the Uberti SA.

For the last couple years I've been shooting the Lee 230 TC bullet in the 45 Colt also. The original load for the 45 Government cartridge for use in the SAA used a 230 gr bullet. I load the Lee TC bullet over 7 gr Bullseye for a pressure of 16,700 psi. It runs 902 fps out of the Uberti SA and 1135 fps out of the Uberti M73 carbine.

The oft recommended "standard" load (also listed in the Lyman manuals) under a 255 gr SWC or the 255 gr RNFP cast bullet runs 18,000 psi +/-. Many a Uberti are fired with that load w/o any problems encountered.

Cosmic_Charlie
07-30-2021, 01:52 PM
You might check out some loads using HP-38. It works well for reasonable loads in .44 special.

jaguarxk120
07-30-2021, 06:10 PM
You might want to get John Taffin's book of the 45. He list's working load data for just about every
45 caliber handgun made.

VariableRecall
07-31-2021, 02:48 PM
You might check out some loads using HP-38. It works well for reasonable loads in .44 special.

I've decided to stick with 7gn of Win231 for my first loading. I'll check for pressure signs, how well the brass seals in the cylinder, and others when the time comes.

megasupermagnum
07-31-2021, 03:00 PM
I've decided to stick with 7gn of Win231 for my first loading. I'll check for pressure signs, how well the brass seals in the cylinder, and others when the time comes.

You won't see pressure signs. With 45 colt, max load is 14,000 PSI. I wouldn't even expect to see a pressure sign until about 40,000 psi.

VariableRecall
07-31-2021, 04:12 PM
You won't see pressure signs. With 45 colt, max load is 14,000 PSI. I wouldn't even expect to see a pressure sign until about 40,000 psi.

Thank you for letting me know. What are some better signs that I'm not under or overpressuring before catastrophic things happen?

megasupermagnum
07-31-2021, 05:08 PM
If you really want to be careful, shoot them over a chronograph. You are following published load data that is already on the conservative side. There's nothing to worry about.

VariableRecall
08-01-2021, 01:48 AM
If you really want to be careful, shoot them over a chronograph. You are following published load data that is already on the conservative side. There's nothing to worry about.

I don't have one of those, but I'm following things by the books.

35 Whelen
08-02-2021, 02:33 AM

Robert

Not exactly. The Uberti's cylinders and the chamber walls are just about the same size as the Ruger New Vaquero and Flat Top Blackhawk's, all of which are larger than a Colt SA. And given they're available with 45 ACP cylinders, whose SAAMI maximum pressure is 21,000 psi, there's no reason the 45 Colt can't be loaded to similar pressures. These are commonly referred to as Tier 2 loads.

My experience with 200 gr. bullets is that they shoot a bit lower than 250-255 gr. bullets. I would suggest loading heavier bullets unless you don't mind using a little Kentucky Elevation. I've never used WW231 so I can't speak to that.

My 45 Colt is a lovely Uberti Frisco that shoots beautifully and isn't picky about loads.

My loafing/practicing load is 6.0 grs. of Red Dot or 700-X and a 250 gr. RNFP from a Lyman 454190 mold which pretty much duplicates the ballistics of the original load (~850 fps)-

If you don't feel like casting, I've used the Missouri Bullet Company Cowboy #1 250 gr. RNFP (https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=246&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=) and had really good luck with it.

286935 286934

One could substitute the 454424 and have a dandy hunting load.

My hunting load consists of a 288 gr. cast SWC (RCBS 45-270-SAA mold) over 9.5 of Power Pistol for a smidge under 1000 fps from the 4 3/4" barrel. I found this load in Handloader #246 and they show it as a 20,000 psi load. It is sufficiently accurate out of my Uberti for deer hunting out to 75 yds., which is about as far as I am comfortable shooting these revolvers. I only use it for hunting and occasional practice, and so far shot one buck with it. Worked great.

So there you are.

35W

DougGuy
08-02-2021, 02:49 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Uberti chambers those same guns in 45 ACP, which would be rated to 21,000psi. IF and I say IF Uberti says those are safe with 45 ACP+P which almost all modern manufacturers have to rate their 45 ACP guns to +P in case someone drops a +P round into one, then it is safe to say that the Uberti 45 Colt cylinder is also safe to 45 ACP+P pressure of 23,000psi because the cylinders share the same dimensional thicknesses. This would mean the Uberti is safe with Tier 2 loads up to 23,000psi.

Yes the Uberti cylinders are slightly thicker between chambers and slightly larger in diameter with thicker outer walls than Colt SAA cylinders.

ddixie884
08-02-2021, 02:57 AM
I believe the last 2 posters are right on.............

VariableRecall
08-02-2021, 03:35 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Uberti chambers those same guns in 45 ACP, which would be rated to 21,000psi. IF and I say IF Uberti says those are safe with 45 ACP+P which almost all modern manufacturers have to rate their 45 ACP guns to +P in case someone drops a +P round into one, then it is safe to say that the Uberti 45 Colt cylinder is also safe to 45 ACP+P pressure of 23,000psi because the cylinders share the same dimensional thicknesses. This would mean the Uberti is safe with Tier 2 loads up to 23,000psi.

Yes the Uberti cylinders are slightly thicker between chambers and slightly larger in diameter with thicker outer walls than Colt SAA cylinders.

Thank you for your insights! Come to think of it, much like 9mm and .38 Special, .45 ACP and .45 Colt, all as cartridges, are tradeoffs between maximum boolit weight and auto loading capabilities. Say what you will about 9mm and .38 Special, but they have very similar performances depending on what you prefer as an advantage defensively, be it mass or velocity as your preference.

Either way, if the cylinders can be adapted to the much higher pressure .45 ACP Cartridge, then it ought to be safe to load for standard given pressures of .45 Colt in the Lyman Bullet Caster's Handbook. 7gns for our first loadings is quite middling, but I'd rather have a less powerful cartridge starting out than one I'm not going to be comfortable with.

If you're curious about the SWC boolits we are using, they are Alox coatedRCBS 200gn SWCs, with the closest shape being that of this specific Lyman mold here: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010246569?pid=771796
The mold has worked great for .45 ACP and given the fact that we are saving 30gns per cast, makes it quite economical. From the look of things, we could definitely use the first "Grease Groove" as an impromptu crimping area.

9.3X62AL
08-02-2021, 04:03 AM
I have loaded A LOT of 45 Colt cartridges over the years, both for Uberti/Colt-strength revolvers and for the Rugers.

The 45 Colt's usual bullet weight (255 grains) can be run at safe pressures to 875 FPS from a 4-3/4" barrel. I don't care how you slice it, 255 grains moving at almost 3 football fields per second is a FORMIBIBLE FORCE. My usual fuels for the Uberti/Colt-level loads have been Alliant's Unique and Herco; I use a lot of WW-231, but not for 45 Colt. As was alluded to above, you are likely to find with fixed-sight revolvers in this caliber that the 250-260 grain bullets will hit closer to point-of-aim, than will lighter bullets, which usually print a bit low.

Most of my 45 Colt shooting gets done with a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk these days, with Lyman #454424 running about 1000 FPS. This duplicates the old U.S. Army black powder load performance. A lot of the early black powder cartridges lost a bit of performance during the conversion to smokeless powders at the turn of the 19th-to-20th Centuries; the 45 Colt is among those.

VariableRecall
08-03-2021, 02:13 PM
I have loaded A LOT of 45 Colt cartridges over the years, both for Uberti/Colt-strength revolvers and for the Rugers.

The 45 Colt's usual bullet weight (255 grains) can be run at safe pressures to 875 FPS from a 4-3/4" barrel. I don't care how you slice it, 255 grains moving at almost 3 football fields per second is a FORMIBIBLE FORCE. My usual fuels for the Uberti/Colt-level loads have been Alliant's Unique and Herco; I use a lot of WW-231, but not for 45 Colt. As was alluded to above, you are likely to find with fixed-sight revolvers in this caliber that the 250-260 grain bullets will hit closer to point-of-aim, than will lighter bullets, which usually print a bit low.

Most of my 45 Colt shooting gets done with a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk these days, with Lyman #454424 running about 1000 FPS. This duplicates the old U.S. Army black powder load performance. A lot of the early black powder cartridges lost a bit of performance during the conversion to smokeless powders at the turn of the 19th-to-20th Centuries; the 45 Colt is among those.

The 200gn SWC's are coming right out of our supply of .45 ACP boolits. I suppose that it would be nice to pick up a dedicated .45 colt mold, but it's hard enough to find anything out there these days. I think a chunky SWC, like the 255gn Lyman mold, would be an excellent choice. However, being able to use the same mold for both calibers would be more economical overall.

Do you think that using 230gn FMJ Boolits would be a viable potential loading? Hornady XTP boolits would be quite the modern defensive oomph to what would be a rather "yeehaw" kind of piece.