PDA

View Full Version : sizer question

ddeaton
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok, I have a new Magma Star set up for 45acp and I love it. I am going to start casting for 223 and 308 with gas checks. I am thinking of getting another sizer just for my rifle calibers, mainly because of setup time and lube type change. Should I stick with the Star for rifle with gas check, or do I need a base down sizer? How do you crimp the gas checks running them nose first down in a Star?

Springfield
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
You just run them nose first, and the checks crimp on. Doesn't seem like it would work, but I have done a few 45-70's like that and it worked fine. I have 3 Stars, so I'm not the guy to ask about getting extras!

454PB
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I've used my Star for rifle boolits, but it's main advantage is speed. Since I don't go through thousands of rifle boolits in a short amount of time, I find it easier to use my Lyman 450 for those.

There is no problem applying gas checks with the Star, and I use one boolit lube for everything. Changing dies takes about the same amount of time in either the Lyman or the Star.

ddeaton
01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I guess I could pick a lube and stick with it for all. I wouldnt mind the setup without changing lube. I am currently running White 50/50 and ordered some 2500+ and red carnauba. I am running the 50/50 with my slow 45acp loads. I guess the 2500+ would do me for all that I am casting. I think I might stick with the Star and do the setups. Lathesmith, get ready to make me some dies and punches.