PDA

View Full Version : Mowrey Plains Rifle

Matt_G
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Anyone here know anything about these rifles?

This is a 54 cal. It's in the catalog for an auction I am going to on Saturday.
I know nothing about BP firearms and have never shot the Holy Black.

Any ideas on whether this thing is any good and what its worth is?

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq149/mwg47x/140.jpg

There is a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal in there also. Looking for a rough number on its worth as well.

KCSO
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
The Early Mowry's were good guns but the company chhanged hands so many times that quality fell drasticly. I would want to cehck the gun over real well before i biid.

Matt_G
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for that info.

Any idea if this one is a "early" model or not?
S/N is 4647.

reivertom
01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
That is a nice looking rifle and a great caliber, the TC would be a good one, too. They should be serviceable, but make sure the barrels on ANY used muzzleloader is not pitted with rust. They can have a little bit of surface rust in the bore or on the outside as long as there is no pitting in inside. If it is shiney you could tell with a small light, but it is better to run a lubed patch through to feel any rough areas. Inexperienced and/or lazy ML shooters have ruined untold thousands of guns because they didn't clean them an store them properly. Check on the internet for pricing an you can get an idea about what to bid.

mooman76
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM
BP guns have real ify prices so it's hard to determine a price. There isn't allot of market for used ones (like regular guns)and it's harder to tell if it was taken care of (inside) or not. You being not familiar with BP makes it even harder. I have bought a few used ones and I usually won't pay much for a used one. That being said the first thing I look at is the outside. If the ouside wasn't taken care of you can bet the inside wasn't either. And just because the ouside looks good doesn't mean the inside was taken care of. Basically I am saying give it a real good hard look. You might want to look around. I see them used all the time. Allot of people buy them and loose interest quickly. A lot of shops will take a lower than price marked if you offer cash.

Matt_G
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, that Mowrey sold for $300.00. :shock:

It was a beautiful gun...on the outside.
However, the bore was pitted bad. Someone DID NOT take care of this gun.
I couldn't believe the prices guns were going for at this auction.

Everyone is scared to death of Nobama and company.
I was seeing used, CURRENT production guns, going for more than retail.
Whatever...
Needless to say, I didn't buy a thing.