PDA

View Full Version : Desiccant bags

abunaitoo
07-26-2021, 03:42 PM
Is there a reason for NOT putting a tiny bag of desiccant into a container of powder?????
Mainly for long term storage.

fc60
07-26-2021, 03:51 PM
Greetings,

I believe smokeless powder relies on a certain amount of moisture.

Your best bet would be to make sure the cap is on tight.

Long term storage in a GI Ammo Can would not hurt.

Cheers,

Dave

Winger Ed.
07-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Out there in the jungle where you are, I'd be putting long term stored powder (in its original container)
inside a airtight plastic tub or ammo can and call it good.

Dusty Bannister
07-26-2021, 05:14 PM
Hmm, rifle and pistol powder in a metal ammo can? How different is that from a pressure cooker? Plastic tub with desiccant packs sounds a whole lot less restrictive if you have a residential fire.

Handloader109
07-26-2021, 05:21 PM
plastic powder containers? screw lid on and you are good to go. best to keep cool

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

poppy42
07-26-2021, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Dusty Bannister;5232239]Hmm, rifle and pistol powder in a metal ammo can? How different is that from a pressure cooker? Plastic tub with desiccant packs sounds a whole lot less restrictive if you have a residential fire.[/QUOTE

Probably bad if you put powder in any other metal container other than the original. But those metal powder containers were made to rupture at very low pressure! Now I don’t recommend anyone trying this, but I proved this to someone who believe me! I had a empty powder can (if I remember correctly it was 4895) I put what amounts to a rather hot 30.06 rounds worth of powder in the can. I then put the sealed can in a fire and backed up a few hundred yards. No explosion! No fire ball! The can simply ruptured, rather quickly. Before I get all the hate mail, this was done in a wide open sand pit, and there were members of the fire department present. As a mater of fact the person who was of the belief that there would be some massive explosion was in fact a member of the local volunteer fire department. I would not repeat the test with anything other than the original powder can!

jim147
07-26-2021, 06:48 PM
Just screw the lid on. I'm almost out of it but I still have a paper bag of powder sealed in one of those old cheese puff plastic jars that is from the early '90's or earlier. Been I while since I've seen bulk powder around here. My shop only has heat and it gets very hot and humid here.

abunaitoo
07-27-2021, 04:42 AM
It rains almost everyday where I live.
Not big long rain, just enough to make things wet.
Then the sun comes out and it's really muggy.
That and the wind brings ocean salt air.
Sometimes it's so bad, the car is covered in salt.
I've had un-opened cans rust from the inside out.
Had a couple that when I opened it, was stink and wet inside.
Not all powders have a problem.

John Wayne
07-27-2021, 08:05 AM
I have used desiccant bags in my powder containers for years and also keep one hanging in each powder hopper continuously. I also run a dehumidifier in the basement 24-7 365. I would do the same in Hawaii.

JSnover
07-27-2021, 08:37 AM
I keep my powders in a small refrigerator, just give them an hour or so to come up to room temp before opening.

abunaitoo
07-27-2021, 11:22 PM
I keep my powders in a small refrigerator, just give them an hour or so to come up to room temp before opening.

A little funny that just happened to me.
Went to a friends house to help repair something.
Needed to weld it.
He keeps the Arc welding rods in a small, old, broken, office icebox, with a bulb on all the time, to keep it dry.
I do the samething.
When I opened it, I noticed he had a LED bulb in it.:veryconfu
Informed him that LED bulbs don't give off the same heat as the old bulbs, so it's probably not doing anything.
Rods were OK. Not great, but OK.

Winger Ed.
07-27-2021, 11:32 PM
Hmm, rifle and pistol powder in a metal ammo can? How different is that from a pressure cooker?

The latch on ammo cans are designed to burst open and vent the can in a fire, without shattering or fragmenting.

A pressure cooker is made to contain fairly high pressure and doesn't have the ability to vent more than at a small rate.
It can shatter into fragments sort of like a pipe bomb.

GregLaROCHE
07-28-2021, 12:41 AM
Is there a reason for NOT putting a tiny bag of desiccant into a container of powder?????
Mainly for long term storage.

I do it all the time. I think it helps the most, not only for long term storage, but when you are frequently opening and closing containers. If you live in a dry part of the world, maybe you don’t need to bother, but in humid places, I think they helps.

gwpercle
07-28-2021, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't put the packets in the bottle with the powder ...simply because the powder maker doesn't put them in when packaging their powder (correct me if I'm wrong , I don't remember seeing them in any bottles of powder) if you put the powder cotainers in a plastic storage bin with a good lid ... I would put the packets in the big plastic container .
My thought is if the powder maker thought them necessary to be in the bottle of powder ... they would be in there when you open it .
Might be a good question for powder maker to answer .
I know just about every bottle of pills have them ... but that ain't gunpowder !
Gary

Rooster
07-31-2021, 03:50 PM
Winchester ball powder is manufactured under water. Let that soak in.