PDA

View Full Version : Worlds worst speller!

tinsnips
07-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Is anyone besides me the worlds worst speller? I can do any kind of math on this earth but spelling wow. When I was young the system decided phonics was not needed I have been suffering with that decision all my life.

BigAlofPa.
07-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Yeah mines not the best either. Im good with numbers too. The wife is the speller in the house. I handle the budget end.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-25-2021, 01:42 PM
I'll bet I'm considerably older than you are. When I learned readin' & writin' the method taught was recognition. You recognized the word from repetitious reading of such books as "Dick and Jane", and there were spelling tests every day. Some of them required you to write out the word, like "What word is missing in this sentence? Fill in the blank." But other spelling tests were multiple choice with a word spelled five different ways, circle the correct spelling. I had a hard time learning to read and write, but eventually the light came on and it became one of my strengths. Unlike you, my math abilities are limited. Second year Algebra was as far as I went, for which I did receive an "A", but I flunked Geometry and never revisited the subject. My brother, who is three years younger than I, leaned by phonics. They sounded out every syllable of every word. In a way, that is recognition by sound rather than sight. As I've gotten older I find myself having to look up some words in the dictionary to verify their spelling. It is true, from my perspective, that many folks are poor spellers and some can't even write a coherent sentence. One wonders how they managed to graduate and function in life. Thank God, I guess, for Spellcheck. You don't have to know how to spell, the computer knows if for you.

DG

Winger Ed.
07-25-2021, 02:49 PM
My fall back position on poor spelling is a comment Pres. Abraham Lincoln made.
He wrote his own speeches, and would sometimes misspell a word two or three different ways---- on the same page.

When called out on it, he'd reply-- if you only knew one way to spell a word, you might not be as smart as you think you are.

bakerjw
07-25-2021, 02:54 PM
I had phonics. Great speller.
My 6th grade teacher was an ass and should never have gone into teaching. In his class, there was ZERO socializing. No talking. But a lot of yelling from him. One thing that he did was give us lists of words. We had to write them 10 times each. Then write a short definition from the dictionary and then the long definition from the dictionary. Just busy work but it did help me learn to spell better.

Walks
07-25-2021, 03:43 PM
I thik thet wold B mee.

I've had a dictionary close to hand since I was about 6yrs old. And I'm still looking up words.

762 shooter
07-25-2021, 03:48 PM
Reading voraciously when I was young helped with my spelling skills.
Not that I know how to spell everything, but knowing when a word "looks" wrong and check on the correct spelling.

abunaitoo
07-25-2021, 03:54 PM
If it wasn't for spell check, I don't think even I would know what I'm typing.

slim1836
07-25-2021, 03:57 PM
Siri is my friend and I still have spelling mistakes.

Slim

Half Dog
07-25-2021, 04:00 PM
I can be grouped with the ones who can’t spell very good. Auto correct seems to make things worse.

Randy Bohannon
07-25-2021, 04:02 PM
My parents jumped right on the phonics method ,bought the World Book encyclopedias and their phonics program. Six kids , Dr. of Virology PhD with six patents,Landscape Architect , Firefighter Paramedic, Environmental Wacko, Mother and a successful small business owner. It is by far the fastest most effective method for teaching the most kids to read and write well. Used it on my kids who have done well with technical learning and writing there are programs and apps to teach adults, most won’t recognize or do it.

poppy42
07-25-2021, 04:05 PM
Ah spelling? What’s that? I spel jist fin! Mi kats nam is kity!

CastingFool
07-25-2021, 04:11 PM
English was not my first language, but I learned to recognize the words and learned the correct pronunciation. Anyway, it all worked to make me an excellent speller. In grade school, all I had to do was to look at a word, and I knew how to spell it

Winger Ed.
07-25-2021, 04:15 PM
I've had a dictionary close to hand since I was about 6yrs old. And I'm still looking up words.

I've often been frustrated with dictionarys.
I have a problem looking up a word I can't spell.
Sometimes I've thought I'd have to look on every single page, and still not be able to find it.

Texas by God
07-25-2021, 04:22 PM
FAT pencil, Big Chief notebook, Mrs. Love would sharpen everyone’s pencils over the trash can with her pocket knife. Phonics and repetition had most of my class reading and writing and spelling well by the end of first grade.
Math and I have always had our differences, though.
I misspell words more often than I used to due to life, I think.

DocSavage
07-25-2021, 04:36 PM
English/spelling was my down fall in school. I've a pretty good ability to define words but spell them not so good. Cursive hand writing teacher gave up after 3 weeks hand writing look like an epileptic chicken was let loose on paper.

smithnframe
07-25-2021, 05:27 PM
Probably the top one thousand worst spellers are members of this forum! Don’t even get started on proper punctuation.

AlHunt
07-25-2021, 05:48 PM
I'm of an age that we learned to spell.

The incoherent misspelled alphabet salad that passes for so much of today's writings makes me very, very sad.

On the other hand, I do offer a Master Class in typos for Android. PM me to sign up.
(I swipe type on Android. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it highly)

metricmonkeywrench
07-25-2021, 06:43 PM
I got graded for spelling in math class…. Didn’t do so well there either, add, subtract multiply and devide I’m fine. Numbers, letters and hieroglyphs I’m done.

Spell check is our friend…

El Greco
07-25-2021, 08:36 PM
What can I say. I came to this country from Greece 47 years ago. I’m a foreign exchange. Hell of a time with spelling. If I didn’t have a spell checker, every time I posted something it will be “All Greek to you”. :bigsmyl2:

MostlyLeverGuns
07-25-2021, 09:56 PM
Spell check is our friend SORT OF. to,too, two effect, affect where, were, ware bore, boar Spelling would be much easier if American/English language was consistent, but all those languages made America. I before E except after C but the there is ...... Gud Pnuph !

Bad Ass Wallace
07-26-2021, 03:40 AM
The Spiel Checker

I cave a spelling cheekier, that came width my pea sea,
It clearly marks for my review, any miss steaks I cane nought see,
I tripe a sword and hit the quay, an right before my eyes
It sews if I am wrung or rite and never ever lies
I run this little poem threw it, and I'm shore you pleased to no
Its letter perfect all the whey, my spiel checker tolled me sew!

Stephen Cohen
07-26-2021, 04:31 AM
My parents jumped right on the phonics method ,bought the World Book encyclopedias and their phonics program. Six kids , Dr. of Virology PhD with six patents,Landscape Architect , Firefighter Paramedic, Environmental Wacko, Mother and a successful small business owner. It is by far the fastest most effective method for teaching the most kids to read and write well. Used it on my kids who have done well with technical learning and writing there are programs and apps to teach adults, most won’t recognize or do it.

My mother sold World Book and I was given a first edition set as a very young lad and still have them as well as the Child Craft set. I also have the World Book dictionary's as well. It is my memory that causes most of my mistakes these days. Regards Stephen

MrWolf
07-26-2021, 08:06 AM
Don't believe we had even heard of phonics when I was a kid. Was a decent speller and loved reading so that helped. Problem with using the dictionary was if the first letter or two were my issue. Page by page. That is where I learned to write very small [smilie=b:. Give me numbers any day, those I can do.

rking22
07-26-2021, 08:15 AM
Math is my game, spelling not so much. To be honest, sometimes I can’t get it close enough for the phone to suggest something! From being a voracious reader I recognize when it’s not spelled right, but after a few tries either sub a synonym or say heck with it. My daughter and I don’t bother, we can read each other’s misspelled “stuff”, we spell it like it sounds.

Wayne Smith
07-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Well before Spell Check my wife got me a book - the MissSpeller's Dictionary - It organized misspelled words by their most common misspelling. You look up the way you spelled it, and find out how to spell it right. I still have it.

David2011
07-26-2021, 11:06 AM
I can be grouped with the ones who can’t spell very good. Auto correct seems to make things worse.

Autocorrect is probably why so many have trouble with synonyms (to, two, too; there, their, etc.). It and texting have not benefited literacy. Fortunately I went to a great school for first grade and learned phonics. By the end of the year I could read Reader’s Digest. Wifey asks me how to spell some word almost every day.

blackthorn
07-26-2021, 12:51 PM
Is anyone besides me the worlds worst speller? I can do any kind of math on this earth but spelling wow. When I was young the system decided phonics was not needed I have been suffering with that decision all my life.

Highlight is mine. So, if you ARE the worlds worst speller, the answer to your question is ----NO!

Texas by God
07-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Plus one on the World Book set, Mr Cohen.
Reading those books from A to Z as a boy- still helps me occasionally to this day! Like you said, memory is the tricky part these days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
07-26-2021, 02:17 PM
Capt. Marchinko USN, the SEAL Team Six guy, and author would get frustrated at various things, and wish doom on them.

One of his quotes was "Doom! on spell checkers".

Win94ae
07-26-2021, 05:19 PM

I used to be a great speller, then I got out of school and lost it all, until I got back into spelling on the internet. Now I spell real good with the aid of spellcheck.

.429&H110
07-27-2021, 06:07 PM
I can spell to win a spelling bee. We play Scrabble to see who does the dishes. Nobody ever taught me grammar,
but there's an app for that, to cast Yankee-ese into copy.

Randy Bohannon
07-27-2021, 06:30 PM
Don’t get me started on cursive writing either,my idiot S.I.L says we don’t use a pen and quill anymore either. Not the same what cursive writing does for a young mind as well reading and writing early in life.

Epidote
07-28-2021, 07:59 PM
Thank you, Miss Ficklin, for teaching me to read using phonics. Back when Eisenhower was president.